Photo

Jody Scheckter Business Man

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Hunt the Shunt Fan

Hunt the Shunt Fan

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 15:49

After Jody Scheckter left F1 he went to the U.S. and established a hugely successful business. Does anyone know what this business was? How much money did he make?

Thanks

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 16:08

Jody established FATS -- Fire Arms Training Systems, which was in Norcross originally and now Suwanee, Georgia. FATS produces training simulators for law enforcement and the military. Its original product was called "SHOOT -- DON'T SHOOT," and used by police for training situations where officers had to make decisions based on the situation. Later, this basic system formed the basis for what was originally called SETS -- Squad Engagement Training System, and later re-named EST -- Engagement Skills Trainer. It is probably the biggest firm of its type in the world and has contracts with law enforcement and military literally worldwide, including the US Army. Several years Jody left FATS turning over the firm to a management group. I don't know the particulars, but Jody did quite well.

One reason I know this is that as part of my "Day Job" in the Army I worked with Jody and FATS on the SETS and EST programs. I used to see Jody on a regular basis and we got to be at least good acquaintances, if not "buds." Having watched him race and then working professionally with him, I have a great deal of respect for Jody. When he retired from racing, the salaries were nothing remotely like they are. Jody used the same drive, skill, and determination he displayed on the track to establish FATS.

Generally, he didn't like to discuss racing that much, but from time to time over lunch or supper he would get to talking about his racng days and it was a real treat. I still have a nice picture that Jody signed and gave me taken during his Championship season.

#3 Hunt the Shunt Fan

Hunt the Shunt Fan

• 326 posts

Posted 13 November 2001 - 17:04

That's quite impressive. I thought maybe he created a small construction company or something. Very very impressive indeed. Thanks

#4 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,982 posts

Posted 14 November 2001 - 09:37

Agree, I also always had a lot of respect for Scheckter for what he achieved after retiring from F1 - not to mention the way he handled his season in 1980 when he was the reigning world champion with a hopelessly uncompetitive car.

This leads me on to the Retired Racing Driver As A Manager: two recent exampleas are Alain Prost and Niki Lauda.

First, AP appears to have screwed up his team completely - they were actually better as Ligier-Mugen than now. All very sad and rather strange, and of course very harmful to AP's personal reputation, not to mention his fanances.

Secondly, what about Lauda and Jaguar ? What has Lauda ever done to get the nod over a guy like Rahal, who had a solid record - as a team owner, not "only" as a driver - in the US (and whose CART team was even this year well in the running for the championship). Yes, Lauda set up Lauda Air - but he also ran it into bankruptcy and takeover by Austrian Airlines.
It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall in Jaguar's board room - again Jaguar were better in their former guise as Stewart-Ford, and probably much more beneficial to Ford Motor Co. as a PR exercise with Jackie Stewart at the helm rather than a super negative person like Lauda.