Photo

Alfa Romeo Museum - pics from my trip

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,767 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 03:53

Hello strangers (i used to post here) ... I thought you'd like this. I have a MONUTAIN of pics from the Alfa Museum in milan during a reent trip to Europe ...if anyone wants more than the three I have here just mail me.

Read 'em and weep fellas!

Yes folks, this is Fangio's CC winning 158 Tipo .... the little supercharged Alfetta. Despite the "Don't touch or we ring the mafia" signs I managed to "steal a drive". HOW GOOD IS THAT!

Posted Image

Ahh and the Brabham :)

Posted Image

and the Turbo LeMans car for good measure

Posted Image

Advertisement

#2 Alfisti

Alfisti

• 39,767 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 09:59

Honestly .. i dead set give up. These pics worked fine when i posted them ... now they're buggered. Bira, i have gone back to image station and the pics i have linked to this thread have all changed to this japanese symbol .... the others are fine.

Lemmie guess, it's a default "safety" mechanism to stop people linking directly to the images??

People wonder why i get cheesed off with PC's/net.

#3 MattFoster

MattFoster

• 4,831 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 11:15

This sux fisti, I think you need to throw your pc out the window it's stuffed

#4 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 24 December 2001 - 21:34

I'd be interested to know what the Japenese says! You'ld think they would want a link to their site. For some it's still a Small Narrow Web. :down:

Anyway I hope and trust you had a great time. Didn't go to the Nuvolari Museum?

#5 Louis Mr. F1

Louis Mr. F1

• 3,495 posts

Posted 25 December 2001 - 06:23

I can only tell the first two words mean "image" as they are the same words as Chinese.

is there any mid 80s Alfa Romeo F1 cars in the museum?

#6 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,211 posts

Posted 25 December 2001 - 10:01

Originally posted by Alfisti
Honestly .. i dead set give up. These pics worked fine when i posted them ... now they're buggered. Bira, i have gone back to image station and the pics i have linked to this thread have all changed to this japanese symbol .... the others are fine.

Lemmie guess, it's a default "safety" mechanism to stop people linking directly to the images??.

This is just like Geocities did to mine, though bira rightly pointed out that it was in their rules that they shouldn't be used this way...

Homestead do allow it, though, with 15 megs still free... you have to pay for more than that.

#7 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 25 December 2001 - 10:18

Fisti :) You have so many problems with your comp :) nearly as many as i do :) Why don't you just send them to someone else - and they'll post them for you :)

#8 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 21:16

Wednesday I had time to visit the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese. It is on the premises of the former Alfa works in Arese. And housed besides the former top management offices. A great museum. Also entry is free, so a great visit when you are near Milan in Italy.

Posted Image
An 8C 2900B Lungo from 1938

Posted Image
A Tipo 33 TT 12 endurance at the main entrance.

Posted Image
The collection houses 3x a 159 F1 and one 158 F1. One 159 is displayed 'nuda' to give a good view of the cars construction.

Posted Image
Engines are plenty available to see up close.

Posted Image
Maybe the most famous of all classic grand prix cars: Tipo B or P3.

Posted Image
The 1934 Tipo B Aerodinamica

Posted Image
The Tipo A 1931 BiMotore has two engines sitting next to each other.

Posted Image
The 158 Alfetta.

Posted Image
The 1935 Bimotore has perspex engine covers to show the engines. Only car in the collection to sport Ferrari badges.

Posted Image
The mighty P2, as some other cars from the collection a recent Goodwood visitor!

Posted Image
The 6C 2500 Super Sport Corsa from 1939.

Posted Image
Giulia TZ2 from 1965.

Posted Image
The 1923 RL Targa Florio.

Posted Image
The selection modern monopostos is not only F1, but also CART and F3.

Posted Image
Vittorio Brambilla's 1979 Alfa-Alfa.

Posted Image
One rare non BE owned Brabham is this BT45. Chassis plate said BT45 001.

Posted Image
The prettiest ever? The 33 Stradale.

Posted Image
Abortive prototype racer.

Posted Image
Alfa's boxer.

Posted Image
One of the many what if's in racing

Posted Image

#9 flat-16

flat-16

• 478 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 12:31

Thanks for sharing, Arjan :up:

Some thought-provoking photos.

Justin

#10 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,211 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 13:48

Yes, very nice...

And I wonder if 'fisti could re-post his now?

#11 GIGLEUX

GIGLEUX

• 1,519 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 15:11

Arjan, wonderful pictures. The tipo B is in fact a 8C2300 (or 2600) Monza.

#12 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 19:13

It was a pleasure to do. In fact I thought the collection wouldn't be so large as it really is. Also I am not an Alfisti as such, still the collection grabbed me.
A part of the collection is also undeground and leads to the former management buildings. Before I knew it I was wandering through the empty hallways. Very sad to see the abandoned offices that sometimes even looked like if evacuated for a bomb alert.

Posted Image
The Arese plant, (left) middle part (main assembly lines) has already been demolished. Bottom right shows management buildings and museum.

Posted Image
Left overs of what must have been crowded offices.

Posted Image
The archives are also still there.

#13 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 11:04

Originally posted by Arjan de Roos
Posted Image
The archives are also still there.

I wonder what mysteries could be solved by a few hours in there.

Allen

#14 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 14:39

I solved a few some 10 years ago, when Elvira was still there. At that time, they were actually think about doing reprints of all the Alfa Corse magazines 1938-1943 and making them available to the public. Sadly, never happened :(

#15 dretceterini

dretceterini

• 2,991 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 14:41

I solved a few some 10 years ago, when Elvira was still there, but became a bit frustrated about there not being anything to help solve other questions, such as not finding much of anything on the Tipo 412s (sports cars with 8c2900A chassis and12c37 motors....one of my pesonal obsessions)

At that time, they were actually think about doing reprints of all the Alfa Corse magazines 1938-1943 and making them available to the public. Sadly, never happened :(

#16 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 06:35

I just got a Brumm model of the 1932 Mille Miglia winning Alfa. I found the following webpage in another link of photos from the Alfa Museum. Is this car still at the Museum? Is it the Mille Miglia winner? It looks like it, with the three headlights across the front:

http://www.gregor-g....se/ar8c2300.htm

Vince H.

#17 Patrick Italiano

Patrick Italiano

• 412 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:31

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
I just got a Brumm model of the 1932 Mille Miglia winning Alfa. I found the following webpage in another link of photos from the Alfa Museum. Is this car still at the Museum? Is it the Mille Miglia winner? It looks like it, with the three headlights across the front:

http://www.gregor-g....se/ar8c2300.htm

Vince H.

No, since the 8C2300 displayed at the museum wasn't a 8C2300 first! I wass rebuilt during the 60s by Luigi Fusi using some genuine 2.3 parts, but from a modified 6C1750 frame. It is still there indeed, but is a non-runner.

I cannot quote the VIN of the actual MM winner, it's in Simon Moore's "Legendary 2.3" which I have not at hand here.

Note also that, while the Brumm model has too widely spaced headlights, the museum car has the opposite inconvenient, since the fitting of the main headlights is not the original one. The third headlight was a common addition on long-run racing Alfas at the time.

#18 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 6,096 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 20:49

For Alfa 6C and 8C material I recommend Angela Cherrett's books on each model, published by Veloce, with her superb access to the Alfa archives and Zagari ,IIRC, photos.

Roger Lund.

#19 andrea

andrea

• 630 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 09:04

Wednesday I had time to visit the Alfa Romeo Museum in Arese. It is on the premises of the former Alfa works in Arese. And housed besides the former top management offices. A great museum. Also entry is free, so a great visit when you are near Milan in Italy.

Do you have pictures of Alfa Romeo F1 cars 182 and 183 from 1982 and 1983?

Forza Andrea,

Advertisement

#20 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:12

@Andrea: Why quote the whole of Arjan's post (including pics) only to ask one question (not even related to any of the pics)?

#21 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,539 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 10:57

Posted Image
One rare non BE owned Brabham is this BT45. Chassis plate said BT45 001.

Could this be the car that used to be in the Donington Museum? BE still owned that one but Bob Salisbury and I were unable to find a number on it when we stripped it one afternoon in the middle of the museum hall. Bob was sure nobody would mind!

Allen

#22 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 26 October 2007 - 12:59

Originally posted by andrea

Do you have pictures of Alfa Romeo F1 cars 182 and 183 from 1982 and 1983?

Forza Andrea,

Sorry Andrea, but these cars are not in the Alfa Romeo Collection.

Originally posted by Allen Brown
".....but Bob Salisbury and I were unable to find a number on it when we stripped it one afternoon in the middle of the museum hall....."

Allen

I watched to see a chassis plate of MRD of some sort. You know the more professional ones, sometimes even colored. However the only plate I could discover was soldered to the flank of the seat (to the right upper leg of the driver). A rather crude piece of metal with large characters stamped in. It said BT45001. However in the 179 I saw a very similar plate. Which made me wonder. Has the Brab a genuine plate, or was it soldered on, or, or ... is the whole chassis a remake?

#23 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,709 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 15:53

However in the 179 I saw a very similar plate. Which made me wonder.

Are you talking about the Marlboro 179 with the #23 on the front and the #2 on the side 14th picture down in your #8 post ?

It's a while ago since you saw the 179 plate but do you happen to have any recollection of the number you saw ?