Photo

GP of Israel 1970

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 16:18

This Formula 2 race was cancelled after practice due to lack of crowd control. The date was 22.11.1970 and the track was in the city of Ashkelon. Anyone who has race numbers and some sort of map of the track?

There were also two races at Bogota in Colombia in the beginning of 1971. Track maps, anyone? I'm sure Darren also want to see maps of these tracks!

Stefan
who wishes all and everyone a Happy New Year.

Advertisement

#2 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 18:23

I have the name of the city as Ashkalon. The race was originally scheduled for Nov 21, but one of the Israelian parties protested in parliament, and promised to block the track on that day, a Saturday which is special in Jewish religion. Practice began on schedule on Friday morning, but had to be stopped at 2.00 pm with no action until Sunday morning. The drivers, meanwhile, managed to organise a "race" in Jerusalem on Saturday, with Derek Bell (Camel) winning from Vittorio Brambilla (Donkey) and Xavier Perrot (Camel)!

Grid positions were decided on Sunday, 10.00 am:
1st Ernesto Brambilla (Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'23.8"
2nd Patrick Depailler (Tecno/Ford 70), 1'24.2" *
3rd Derek Bell (Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'24.8" **
4th Mike Goth (Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'25.2" ***
5th Xavier Perrot (March/Ford 702), 1'25.4"
6th Peter Westbury (Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'25.8"
7th Patrick dal Bo (Pygmée/Ford MDB15), 1'26.2"
8th Brian Cullen (Brabham/Ford BT23C), 1'26.5"
9th Vittorio Brambilla (#8 Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'27.1"
10th Tommy Reid (Brabham/Ford BT30), 1'27.6"
11th Bruno Frey (Tecno/Ford 69), 1'27.8"

* Depailler had the ex-Regazzoni car
** Bell had missed Friday practice because of engine problems
*** Goth was fastest in Friday practice from Perrot and Depailler

There followed another practice session for local Touring Cars, which ended with an accident and total chaos. At noon, a Formula Vee race was started, with drivers like Brian Henton, Bertil Roos, Helmuth Koinigg, Harald Ertl, Manfred Schurti, Rainer Braun and Manfred Jantke. After a lot of incidents and accidents, Roos won. The organisers, a German Promotions agency, were happy that nobody was hurt, and the F2 cars did just one warm-up lap, loaded up and were gone. Nobody seemed to bother!

#3 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,502 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 19:17

Autosport has the same spelling of the town as Stefan. They also say that the event was organised by the AvD. Apparantly the safety precautions were terrible, and even the formula Vee race was run at reduced speed. There were bales of barbed wire at the roadside. The Autosport report contains a photograph of the Vee race; there are spectatorts standing on the edge of both sides of the track.

#4 anjakub

anjakub

• 612 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 20:00

Formula Vee race in Barnea Beach Circuit (Askalon) 22.11.1970
1. Bertil Roos
2. Helmuth Koinigg
3. Helmut Bross
4. ?
5. ?
6. Horst Rank
7. Harald Ertl
8. Rainer Braun
9. Alfred Beier

Please, more info

#5 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 30 December 2001 - 21:38

I was surprised to find Rainer Braun's name there! He was a commentator for a German TV channel, 3Sat if I remember correctly. I regularly watched the DTM races in 1993/94 with Braun's commentary. Do you know anything more about this gentleman?

#6 pinchevs

pinchevs

• 438 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 16:32

Well, it was before my time, but I'll try to dig some info about this event. As an Israeli it does not surprise me that this is how things turned out. I remember reading many years ago that the make shift track was in terrible condition (it was run in the middle of sand dunes near Ashkelon, which is a city south of Tel-Aviv, like in Zandvoort, but with far less quality of track surface and much more dust) and the Israeli crowd had no respect to safety precautions. The F2 race was definitly canceled. I've never heard of a race in Jerusalem. If there was a problem with running a race on Saturday at Ashkelon, there would definitly be no race run in Jerusalem on Saturday. Not even today.

As I said I'll write again when I'll have more information.

#7 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,473 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 16:57

Originally posted by fines
The drivers, meanwhile, managed to organise a "race" in Jerusalem on Saturday, with Derek Bell (Camel) winning from Vittorio Brambilla (Donkey) and Xavier Perrot (Camel)!

Anybody has the full grid? No mulettos ;) ?
BTW it shows that the Monza Gorilla could even drive a donkey to 2nd place!

#8 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 31 December 2001 - 19:07

Originally posted by pinchevs
I've never heard of a race in Jerusalem. If there was a problem with running a race on Saturday at Ashkelon, there would definitly be no race run in Jerusalem on Saturday. Not even today.

Well, it seems the Jerusalem "race" was a bit of an ad-hoc affair. The "drivers" managed to locate a few "vehicles" and simply set off on racing terms. And yes, Brambilla's Donkey was a Muletto, of course!;)

#9 pinchevs

pinchevs

• 438 posts

Posted 01 January 2002 - 10:27

Well, do I feel stupid now or what? :blush:
This should teach me to pay more attention reading the Internet while at work...

Sorry :)

MP

#10 Pine

Pine

• 535 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 07:08

There is a discussion about this event in the Grand Prix Legends forum at Race Sim Central, with some funny pictures and scans of the program, if anyone is interested:
http://forum.racesim...&threadid=83975

#11 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 07:29

Holy camel, I've taken a look at the site mentioned above, can't believe what I see on the pictures.
Alas, the touring car race doesn't look international, otherwise I would love to include it in my site. Especially Uzi Moskovitch in his Sabaro sounds :cool:
But what a fascinating piece of history.

#12 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:00

I've found this pic of the 1970 Grand Prix of Israel.
Vittorio Brambilla #8 Brabham BT30 and #2 Patrick dal Bo - i think - with the Pygmée MDB15

Posted Image

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 09:19

Amazing stuff - thanks Pine. Some familiar names in that FV entry list too. Brian Henton - what was he doing there? Harald Ertl, Manfred Schurti (was he really a Liechtensteiner, or is that one of these licences of convenience?) and presumably Helmuth Koinigg replacing Peter Peter?

#14 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 15:00

Originally posted by Vitesse2
Amazing stuff - thanks Pine. Some familiar names in that FV entry list too. Brian Henton - what was he doing there? Harald Ertl, Manfred Schurti (was he really a Liechtensteiner, or is that one of these licences of convenience?) and presumably Helmuth Koinigg replacing Peter Peter?

I don't know what you mean with the last part of your sentence :confused:, but Schurti was a "real" Liechtensteiner - and a nice guy!

Chopped off in a battle
Shall join together at the latter day
And cry all 'We died at such a place'

Some swearing, some crying for a surgeon
Some upon their wives left poor behind them
Some upon the debts they owe
Some upon their children rawly left

I am afeared there are few die well
That die in a battle
For how can they charitably dispose of any thing
When blood is their argument?
Now, if these men do not die well
It will be a black matter
For the king that led them to it

#15 917

• 325 posts

Posted 01 September 2003 - 20:46

Originally posted by Geza Sury
I was surprised to find Rainer Braun's name there! He was a commentator for a German TV channel, 3Sat if I remember correctly. I regularly watched the DTM races in 1993/94 with Braun's commentary. Do you know anything more about this gentleman?

In the 1970s he was sports editor of the bi-weekly German magazine "Auto Zeitung" and he still writes regularly for "Motorsport aktuell". His daughter Maren is also motor sports journalist and works for the German sports TV channel DSF. Rainer Braun is 62 years old and won in 1975 the Renault 5 Cup. He was not only TV commentator, but worked also as announcer at the Nürburgring. Here you can find a picture of him:
http://www.motorspor...raun_rainer.jpg

Regarding Manfred Schurti: I think he is (not was) a real "Liechtensteiner" , he was head of the vehicle inspection in his country until his retirement in autumn 2001.

#16 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 06:25

Originally posted by 917

In the 1970s he was sports editor of the bi-weekly German magazine "Auto Zeitung" and he still writes regularly for "Motorsport aktuell". His daughter Maren is also motor sports journalist and works for the German sports TV channel DSF. Rainer Braun is 62 years old and won in 1975 the Renault 5 Cup. He was not only TV commentator, but worked also as announcer at the Nürburgring. Here you can find a picture of him:

Thanks! ;) :up:

#17 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 07:20

Originally posted by 917

His daughter is better looking! You should see her tonight on 'Motordrom' on DSF channel at 22.15CET

#18 Geza Sury

Geza Sury

• 942 posts

Posted 02 September 2003 - 08:48

Originally posted by Rob29
His daughter is better looking! You should see her tonight on 'Motordrom' on DSF channel at 22.15CET

I always do! I was suprised to learn the she was already 34 years old! You can read her bio on the DSF channel website.

#19 Pine

Pine

• 535 posts

Posted 07 February 2004 - 14:31

There was an article about this race meeting in a recent issue of the French magazine "L'automobile historique". Will Brequin, a member of the Race Sim Central forums, was kind enough to scan pictures from this article. You can see them around the middle of this page:

http://forum.racesim...75&page=4&pp=25

Advertisement

#20 rally-net

rally-net

• 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2004 - 09:27

hi all
well , it looks like we have some things comming on this project .
1- i talked to a guy who watched the race and took some pics also , he invite me (with pine.) to visit him and he wil take us to see all the streets and the places were the circut was .
2- i found an old photografer who took some pics in 1970 and he thinks that he has the negatives in his shop , i suppose to talk to him next week.
3- there are 3 big newspapers here , in Israel , and i am into their archives next week to look for some info about the race .

i will keep you all with up-dates

duby miller

#21 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 15:16

hellow

as i am in a progress of collecting info about this race , i am trying to contact drivers who took part in the race .

is there any one here who could contact me to Derek Bell or any other ?

thanks
duby

#22 Coogar

Coogar

• 139 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 22:01

Duby,

If you care to PM me, I can put you in touch with Tommy Reid.

#23 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 05:47

Duby

Do you know the 8 page article that featured in AUTOMOBILE HISTORIQUE (NO. 33)?

Anyone...

I try to find a photo of Patrick Depailler and his Jolly Club entered Tecno 70 from this race.

...please.

#24 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 18:36

Any new developments and info on this race?? I am still trying to locate a photo of Patrick Depailler in the Tecno. Anyway that can please help me in this regard?

#25 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 09 October 2007 - 19:14

hi

in this thread , look at no-92 there is a copy of the articall

http://forum.racesim...?t=83975&page=4

duby

#26 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 07:14

Thanks, Duby

I do have that particular edition of AUTOMOBILE HISTORIQUE...it is a photo of Depailler that I am after.

What is the present day situation in Israel re. motor racing? Do they race in Israel?

#27 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:21

hi

only rallies for cars , 4WD and bikes .

we dont have any circut here .

duby

#28 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 10 October 2007 - 08:34

Originally posted by duby
hi

in this thread , look at no-92 there is a copy of the articall

http://forum.racesim...?t=83975&page=4

duby

Thanks Duby.I have been looking for photos of that race for 37 years! I did visit Ashkelon in 1994,on an aviation tour,but did not find the circuit-think I see why now. :rotfl:

#29 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,583 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:31

Ashkelon is also known as "Barnea Beach"?

http://theracingline...arneaBeach.html

#30 Andy77

Andy77

• 5 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 20:06

Ashkelon is the name of the town and Barnea Beach is the circuits name

#31 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 20:50

barnea beach is not a circut , just the name of the area where the race was located .
it was suppose to be a street race .

duby

#32 duby

duby

• 191 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 16:14

it was today, 40 years ago...

some pics can be found here.

http://debuzzer.com/...

duby

#33 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 03:21

Here is an article from May 1970:

http://news.google.c.....=2970,5397108

#34 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,316 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 20:23

http://www.formula2.net/F270_25.htm

#35 Rob Semmeling

Rob Semmeling

• 913 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 15:48

This Formula 2 race was cancelled after practice due to lack of crowd control. The date was 22.11.1970 and the track was in the city of Ashkelon. Anyone who has race numbers and some sort of map of the track?

Nine days short of thirteen years later...

ashkelon.jpg

...here, finally, is the elusive track map of the Barne'a Beach circuit in Ashkelon, venue for the ill-fated Israel Grand Prix of 22.11.1970. :drunk:

#36 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 7,151 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 21:18

:cool:

#37 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 21 December 2014 - 23:55

I've been watching this topic like a baby since it was born...

And now that it's almost teen-aged it seems to be missing some of the innocence of childhood. To wit... most of the links and all of the photos!

Nevertheless, the map is here and let's hope it stays. Just to enhance that I've done a bit with Google Maps, where I also learned that the city is known as 'Ashquelon'. But I feel sure that its spelling in the bible is 'Ashkalon'. Never mind...

1214frgoogleearth_Ashkeloncircuit.jpg

By the way, it helps when you're looking if you realise that the Northern part of the circuit in the map posted above is shown on what would normally be the Western side.

And Google Earth shows how built-up the area is.

1214frgoogleearth_Ashqeloncircuit.jpg

For the sake of it, the missing street names are Kayim Sela Street (in the North-East, and I don't know how the roads linked there) and Abba Ahimeid Street in the South-West, which shows on the map but not the photo.

Edited by Ray Bell, 21 December 2014 - 23:57.

#38 Dipster

Dipster

• 572 posts

Posted 22 December 2014 - 09:33

Guys, remember to Israelis the city is not really Askelon (or whatever). It sounds similar but is written in Hebrew.  Which, as you probably know, is written quite unlike English. Consequently, as happens in Arabic, Chinese, Russian etc. slight discrepancies appear when the "word sounds" are written in English.

When I worked there (involved with both Israeli, Palestinians and English speakers and loving every minute of it)  I was based in Jerusalem. Or "Yerushalim", or "Al Quds", depending on who I was addressing!

In Israel road signs are in both Hebrew and English with, occasionally,  two different English spellings for the same town on different signs.

#39 MCS

MCS

• 4,687 posts

Posted 27 July 2022 - 20:56

Just came across these pictures:  https://www.flickr.c...in/photostream/

According to the F2 Register, Tino Brambilla was on pole before the proceedings came to an end.

Edited by MCS, 27 July 2022 - 21:05.

Advertisement

#40 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 889 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 00:29

AD492759-5095-462-B-9-C3-D-C7-A7-F63-C43

If the event is of interest you might find the feature I did in the June 2022 issue of MotorSport worth purchase; https://www.motorspo...ndoned-and-fled

A52-CB3-B9-3956-4-CF7-9101-DDEA1-ADA7-DF

Edited by MarkBisset, 29 July 2022 - 00:33.

#41 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 29 July 2022 - 02:32

Neat explanation of it all, Mark...

I decided to render the maps with the same orientation and in a similar size, that makes things clearer:

0722askelonmap-GE.jpg0722askelonmap-TNF.jpg

#42 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 889 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 05:27

[url=https://postimages.org/]E3763-DEE-E2-B7-42-A4-A430-79-AE27-A9410[/u

Vittorio Brambilla's Brabham BT30 Ford FVA alongside the similarly powered Patrick Dal Bo's Pygmee MDB15 at Ashkelon in November 1970. (Gerard Gamand)

It's a relatively rare colour shot, the lack of punters suggests practice day. Note the suburb-in-process kerb on the right and lack of anything on the left. The solidly mounted (sic) carefully positioned tyre to dissuade wide exits is a neat touch.

Vitt was 13th in the 1970 Euro F2 Championship in the Scuderia Ala d'Oro run Brabham while Patrick didn't score a point in his works Constructions Mechanique Pygmee machine.

[url=https://postimages.org/]0346-E6-A8-651-D-4-BDA-9-B75-61-E30068-A[/

url]

Cheat shot; the Scuderia Ala d'Oro equipe at Hockenheim, they ran BT30s for Vittorio and Ernesto in 1970 (MotorSport)

Edited by MarkBisset, 30 July 2022 - 06:32.

#43 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 30 July 2022 - 06:25

And the ladies' bicycle belongs to a flag marshall?

The body language suggests to me that Vittorio is having a bit of a go and Patrick knew he was coming and got out of his way. But we really don't know who to blame for dislodging that tyre... maybe in the tin-top practice?

#44 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,362 posts

Posted 14 January 2023 - 23:32

Formula Vee race in Barnea Beach Circuit (Askalon) 22.11.1970
1. Bertil Roos 26 minutes 22 seconds average speed 143.3 kph
2. Helmuth Koinigg 26 minutes 39 seconds average speed 142.3 kph
3. Helmut Bross 26 minutes 43 seconds average speed 142.2 kph
4. ?
5. ?
6. Horst Rank
7. Harald Ertl
8. Rainer Braun
9. Alfred Beier

Please, more info

#45 MarkBisset

MarkBisset

• 889 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 00:43

Hi Graham,

Well done, you did better than I did with the results. I wrote an article about this meeting which was published in June (I think) 2022 MotorSport, I've gone back to my notes but don't have the placings beyond third.

Others who competed - that is, those on my list not on yours above - are Brian Henton, Manfred Schurti, Manfred Jantke and Horst Rauh.

Mark

#46 Porsche718

Porsche718

• 860 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 03:34

Mark, I suspect Graham's "Horst Rank" and your "Horst Rauh" are the same person with incorrectly transposed spelling. "Rauh" being correct.

A google search for "Rank" brings no results  but "Horst Rauh" shows many European FV and Super Vee results and information.

#47 Parkesi

Parkesi

• 240 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 09:57

https://www.speedwee...baren-Land.html

Yesterday German journalist Rainer Braun wrote this article in Speedweek/CH.

I am in no position to translate his memories into English but pics and the result might still be of interest,

The only race in Israel - a planned GP for Formula1 in 1973 never took place. 

#48 Roryswood

Roryswood

• 82 posts

Posted 15 October 2023 - 10:43

Using Google Translate , the writer recalls the events as a Formula Vee Competitor , the event as reported in 1970 was a shambles , the organisers were lucky that they didn't have a Le Mans 55 disaster on their hands

#49 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 00:07

Well, it was before my time, but I'll try to dig some info about this event. As an Israeli it does not surprise me that this is how things turned out. I remember reading many years ago that the make shift track was in terrible condition (it was run in the middle of sand dunes near Ashkelon, which is a city south of Tel-Aviv, like in Zandvoort, but with far less quality of track surface and much more dust) and the Israeli crowd had no respect to safety precautions. The F2 race was definitly canceled. I've never heard of a race in Jerusalem. If there was a problem with running a race on Saturday at Ashkelon, there would definitly be no race run in Jerusalem on Saturday. Not even today.

As I said I'll write again when I'll have more information.

Being pedantic but I am sure there would be no sports of any kind during a war. And war it is.

#50 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 11,038 posts

Posted 16 October 2023 - 00:11

https://www.speedwee...baren-Land.html

Yesterday German journalist Rainer Braun wrote this article in Speedweek/CH.

I am in no position to translate his memories into English but pics and the result might still be of interest,

The only race in Israel - a planned GP for Formula1 in 1973 never took place. 

There is an English translation button on the page. It sounds like the wild west,,, or a typical rally!