Photo

Worst ever book on F1?

• Please log in to reply
328 replies to this topic

#201 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 17:23

There's one of those "Utterly Complete Definitive History of F1 Since The Bernie Era With A Few Pages Of Old Stuff" books out. The difference is this one's in the shape of a kharzi seat. Well, at least that's what I thought - until I realised it was in the shape of a wheel and tyre, except it needed a straight edge to bind it...

There are some authors whose books deserve to be published in kharzi-seat shape, ideally on the material that gets flushed down the pan.;)

No doubt on sale at any good (and most bad) discount bookshops. (Where the hell did the cheap copies of Daley's The Cruel Sport all disappear to, anyway?)

Advertisement

#202 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,674 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 17:35

Worst book on F1 ? Well at least there are no best book on F1 because none are complete ! Incredible to me! :smoking:

#203 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,183 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 17:38

Originally posted by petefenelon
(Where the hell did the cheap copies of Daley's The Cruel Sport all disappear to, anyway?)

Birmingham? Ens was the only person who claimed to have seen one :p

They certainly didn't seem to make it to Bristol or Bath ...

#204 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 19:51

Originally posted by Allan Lupton

I can't be bothered to retrype it and I can't cut and paste it, so
Try this

Gentlemen, I think we have a winner! :clap: :clap:

Kudos to Ben Hunt, it just goes to show that with a lot of hard work and dedication, you can accomplish anything! It must have been really difficult to find a publisher to not only fail to survey the market, but to ignore simple procedures like proofreading etc. to roll such a turkey into the shops - Remarkable!

And beautiful prose, to boot: "The chassis was made in steel and featured a torsion bar in the rear of the car. [break/new line] The 125 had double wishbone suspension to make the ride as comfortable as possible, while the drum brakes on all four wheels made sure the car stopped." :love:

#205 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,674 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 06:54

:rotfl: :smoking:

#206 Jerome

Jerome

• 2,088 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 14:53

Originally posted by Twin Window
Eh?! All I said was that her name seemed familiar!

If I say: 'Her names seems familiar' I usually am hugely understating the acquaintance...;)

#207 Pablo Vignone

Pablo Vignone

• 294 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 16:22

Hunt's book could be the worst but from the ones I read last year my vote goes to "Driven man - David Richards, Prodrive and the race to win", simply awful. Oh! and the writer was Alan Henry... What a shame!!!

#208 subh

subh

• 1,135 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 17:01

Originally posted by jtremlett
A book I particularly detest is the aptly named "The Pits" by Beverley Turner, which claims to be a "Revelatory but intelligent behind-the-scenes account of life in the pits by ITV’s F1 presenter" but provides nothing of the sort and is largely a whinge about sexism amongst F1 people (and there's a shock in a testorone-fuelled, male-dominated sport!) by someone who patently obviously fails to see the irony of what got her a job as "ITV’s F1 presenter" in the first place.

I found it interesting looking over the reviews of this one on the Amazon site - people are giving it either one star or five stars! I haven’t read the book, but the first review looks pretty comprehensive, and is summed up with the words, “A very weak book; could have been an OK magazine article”.

I believe Beverley Turner presented a programme about basketball, presumably on ITV, and I assume was moved over to motorsport when that show was discontinued. She didn’t have a particularly noticeable role, presenting the F3000 highlights and doing the odd ‘feature’ for the F1 programmes. (95% of these ‘feature’ items are pointless in my view, but never mind that now.) To get to my point, I saw Vicki Butler-Henderson on a programme after ‘The Pits’ had been published, and she really didn’t agree with Ms Turner’s view of things. Which I suppose says something about their different roles in the sport?

#209 COUGAR508

COUGAR508

• 1,183 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 21:30

Originally posted by Vitesse2

Birmingham? Ens was the only person who claimed to have seen one :p

They certainly didn't seem to make it to Bristol or Bath ...

They didn't make it to Leeds/West Yorkshire either! I have hunted high and low in recent weeks...

#210 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,214 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 22:08

I can get photographic evidence...they must have sold fairly quickly.

#211 bournenville

bournenville

• 110 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 01:25

A mechanic Tale by Steve Matchett

#212 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,761 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 08:37

Originally posted by Allan Lupton

I can't be bothered to retrype it and I can't cut and paste it, so
Try this

Since this thread has resurfaced, you might still find that this one has yet to be beaten!
My comments are still the only review it has.
Amazon's price is now £10.96, but you don't have to pay as much as that as it tells us that copies are available from £0.01 :lol:
Expensive even at that price of course.

#213 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 10:33

A mechanic Tale by Steve Matchett

Oh no, surely not? I enjoyed 'The Mechanic's Tale' and his other books, 'Life in the Fast Lane' and 'The Chariot Makers' too. Some writers seem to just click with me, others I have to struggle to keep with. 'Green races Red' by Eddie Irvine I started but failed to finish.

#214 pertti_jarla

pertti_jarla

• 72 posts

Posted 26 August 2009 - 06:12

My worst reads have been:

"Jochen Rindt-Reportage einer Karriere" (1970) by Georg Lentz and others. In the foreword the authors say that this collection of newspaper articles from his career describe him better than any epitaph would. Well, to me it seems just like a hastily compiled set of unexceptional newspaper articles by authors too lazy to write a proper epitaph. Or too busy to cash in on the tragedy.

Louis Stanley: "Grand Prix 1964". I generally like this series of annuals very much, but in 1964 Stanley is at his worst. The book is full of boring holiday snaps of not too important people around the paddocks and some travel locations. The text includes a terrible, unfunny filler essay making fun of wives and secretaries. Of course it has some good photos and essays, but overall it made me embarrassed.

Edited by pertti_jarla, 26 August 2009 - 06:14.

#215 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,761 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 07:53

'History of Formula One' by an unknown author called Ben Hunt.

Since this thread has resurfaced, you might still find that this one has yet to be beaten!
My comments are still the only review it has.
Amazon's price is now £10.96, but you don't have to pay as much as that as it tells us that copies are available from £0.01 :lol:
Expensive even at that price of course.

Same general comment.
My review still stands alone and uncensored
Price is now £7.49 at Amazon

Edited by Allan Lupton, 27 August 2009 - 07:55.

#216 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 08:30

That's great. "From Emilio Giuseppe to Louis Hamilton" Never heard of them. Must buy!

#217 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,183 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 21:25

I suspect that this forthcoming title - which those nice people at Amazon just emailed me about - might very well be contender.

Ladies and gentlemen, may I present "Legendary Race Cars" by one Basem Wasef. "Who he?" I hear you ask. Apparently he's a lifestyle journo based in California, who generally writes about bikes and overpriced supercars.

Here's what Amazon has to say about it. All typos - not to mention the bad grammar and meaningless sentences - are as in the original ....

Product Description
Motorsport racing finds its heroes in a perfect meeting of man and machine, and these legendary pairings are profiled in this book - Maroi Andretti and his world-championship winning Lotus 79, Sterling Moss' unstoppable Mercedes-Benz SLR, Ray Harroun's Indy-500 winning Marmon Wasp, Graham Hill and the Lotus 49, Colin McRae, Parnell Jones in a Ford Bronco, Walter Rohr's in an Audi S1, Michael Schumacher and his Ferrari F2000, adding up to an invaluable reference book and Motorsport fan.

Posted Image

#218 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 15,103 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 22:09

That's great. "From Emilio Giuseppe to Louis Hamilton" Never heard of them. Must buy!

A google search could have helped you :p

http://images.google...htt...sa=X&um=1

#219 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,214 posts

Posted 26 September 2009 - 22:19

Is Ben Hunt rhyming slang?

Advertisement

#220 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,741 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 15:54

I suspect that this forthcoming title - which those nice people at Amazon just emailed me about - might very well be contender.Posted Image

I wonder how Sir Sterling (sic) got sucked into doing the foreward?
Tom

#221 DOHC

DOHC

• 12,404 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 17:46

Posted Image

Ah, but you gotta admit that the cover photo is a real beauty!

On a positive note, Sir Stirling's name is correctly spelled on the cover. I'd pay a cent or two for the contents.

#222 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 9,619 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 18:54

:blush: Basem Wasef asked me to read some of his draft text for the above book. He'd made some interesting points which hadn't occurred to me before. I did my best to point him in the right direction regarding some of the material...

But overall, so far as the title of this thread is concerned, NOTHING can yet beat Ronnie Much's legendary 'Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators'...

DCN

#223 # 0

# 0

• 60 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 21:18

A google search could have helped you :p

Good. Think I've seen this guy once or twice. But who's Emilio Giuseppe? I thought it was Juan Manuel? :confused:

#224 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,761 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 21:32

But who's Emilio Giuseppe? I thought it was Juan Manuel? :confused:

Perhaps it's Emilio Giuseppe ("Nino") Farina

Just guessing, of course.

#225 aaron

aaron

• 163 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 00:49

Ah, but you gotta admit that the cover photo is a real beauty!

On a positive note, Sir Stirling's name is correctly spelled on the cover. I'd pay a cent or two for the contents.

Perhaps he didn't notice the mistakes when reading the numbers on the cheque he received? Aaron.

Is the book really that bad? Maybe a decent coffee table style book?

#226 canon1753

canon1753

• 619 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 04:57

I think the Legendary Cars book has some potential to be a good book. DCN's comment and Sir Stirling's involvement kick it up in my estimation

#227 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 10:41

:blush: Basem Wasef asked me to read some of his draft text for the above book. He'd made some interesting points which hadn't occurred to me before. I did my best to point him in the right direction regarding some of the material...

But overall, so far as the title of this thread is concerned, NOTHING can yet beat Ronnie Much's legendary 'Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators'...

DCN

I bet you have never read Bill Wood's Legends of Speed.
I will send you a copy if you can take it. (got to do something to get even after the ashes :smoking: )

#228 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 4,301 posts

Posted 28 September 2009 - 12:38

Briefly harking back to The Grand Prix Carpetbaggers (sorry!), I recently had a reason to refer to my ancient copy. In doing so, I noticed again, after all these years, Cooper's reference to the pretty Cooper-Vauxhall, built during the winter of 1948-49 and which was powered, according to the author, by a Vauxhall Viva engine they happened to have sitting around. :drunk: :stoned:

#229 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 08:43

Briefly harking back to The Grand Prix Carpetbaggers (sorry!), I recently had a reason to refer to my ancient copy. In doing so, I noticed again, after all these years, Cooper's reference to the pretty Cooper-Vauxhall, built during the winter of 1948-49 and which was powered, according to the author, by a Vauxhall Viva engine they happened to have sitting around. :drunk: :stoned:

Those Cooper boys were so far ahead of their time. :smoking:

#230 hay!

hay!

• 35 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 10:39

Who remembers Niki Lauda & The Grand Prix Gladiators released in about 1977 covering the 1976 season. Quite the most appalling book I've ever read on motor sport and makes Adrienne's book look the work of Tolstoy.

Sadly I remember this..................... and if I lean back in my chair, and look to the left I can still see my copy :rotfl:

#231 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 15:43

Sadly I remember this..................... and if I lean back in my chair, and look to the left I can still see my copy :rotfl:

I can still remember some of it, in particular a photo of Guy Edwards' Penthouse Hesketh and Alan Jones in the Durex Surtees. The caption read: "Wouldn't it be funny if this car banged that one"...........Not funny and i was thirteen at the time.... However, Ensign14 you are a genius: Yes 'Ben Hunt' must be rhyming slang!

#232 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,154 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 23:45

DCN

Doug:

OK, enough, that's it! I don't have that book, so I'm going to look it up on Amazon and actually buy a copy to see how bad it really is (unless it costs more than $10, then I'll just take your word for it). Perhaps this is the start of a new trend--best of the wurst!

Actually, I just edited a friend's upcoming book. Unfortunately it was strictly a volunteer effort, dedicated to to saving the world from yet another awful book on Porsche. Some major publishers seem to commission single-marque books just so they can have one in their catalog, no matter how bad it may be.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 29 September 2009 - 23:52.

#233 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,154 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 23:50

All right! For just $7.05 I'll get to enjoy Ronnie's worst of the wurst--and relieve some poor bookseller of a title that seems to breed on the shelf, as coat-hangers do in a dark closet.

Frank

Edited by fbarrett, 29 September 2009 - 23:51.

#234 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 08:39

Did you know that if you pronounce Copersucar very fast it sounds exactly like Ronnie Mutch.

#235 Charlieman

Charlieman

• 1,725 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:15

Formula 1 Technical Analysis 2005-2006 by Giorgio Piola is my most regretted purchase. I'd hoped that it would provide an explanation of the design decisions but it merely describes everything in great detail. Err, great but I want to know why. The translation is wooden, but contains some unwitting gems.

"Ferrari and Renault were poles apart with their rear ends."

On Tony Rolt's death, I noted that the obituary in one UK broadsheet was a cut and paste job of one that appeared in another paper two days previously. I wrote to the formerly mentioned newspaper, and was assured in response that the authors were good friends and that there may have been some "collaboration".

#236 cpbell

cpbell

• 2,209 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 21:57

'History of Formula One' by an unknown author called Ben Hunt.

Same general comment.
My review still stands alone and uncensored
Price is now £7.49 at Amazon

Your review has now been joined by another - almost as scathing! :lol:

#237 Allan Lupton

Allan Lupton

• 3,761 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 09:22

I'm pleased to see that 6 out of 6 found my review helpful!
I feel I have achieved something, however slight.

#238 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,025 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:44

What amused me about this Amazon listing, apart from the fairly damning one star reviews, is that they claim it's "Frequently bought with Nigella Express", a cookery book. Are there any recipes in the F1 book? It's quite possible that the buxom Ms Lawson is rather more of an expert on motor racing.

#239 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,183 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:43

I'm surprised there has been no mention of 10 Years of Endeavour Vol 1 by Derek Bracegirdle. I got a copy on eBay a while back for 99p + postage. The blurb looked quite good - if a little pretentious: Mr Bracegirdle seems to have swallowed a thesaurus - but I was totally unprepared for the horrors within.

It's totally unedited for typos, grammar or fact checking and appears to have been compiled by using OCR software on previously typed notes. There's no real narrative, just a series of disjointed pieces, which jump from the author's experiences in club racing to F1 and back again.

I've never seen it reviewed anywhere and the only mention I can find on the net is from the author's local paper previewing the launch in the salubrious surroundings of Winsford Library.

Somehow I doubt we'll ever see volumes 2 or 3 .....

Advertisement

#240 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 8,954 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 21:30

I ended up with 2 paperback copies of Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators :blush:
In my job as a Shopfitter back in the seventies the company I worked had the contract to fit out all the R S Mc Coll newsagents, (now part of the TM Retail group) this also included an amount of maintenance work, I got lumbered with all the jobs in the London area, while down there the shop in Tulse Hill had a fire, the place was shut down and boarded up, after a few days it got broken into, and me being local I was sent round to make the place secure again. The place was still partly stocked with water and smoke damaged stock, so I did what I was sent to do, and while there I had a nosey round, as you do  ;) On the bookshelves were some copies of the book so I thought I'd recycle a couple of them along with James Hunt Against all odds, they were relatively undamaged so I slipped them in my toolbox :well:
To this day I have not opened the Niki Lauda book, maybe I should just to see if it's as bad as everyone says :lol:

#241 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 21:45

Paul, It really is that bad! I was 13 when i read it and i found it awful on EVERY level. I would recommend it to nobody apart from its 'writer'. Might read that one about Louis Hambleton by the wonderfully named Ben Hunt.
Wonder what became of Ronnie Much......Did he change his name to Jeremy Clarkson?

Edited by john t, 27 October 2009 - 21:47.

#242 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,503 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 22:04

Paul, It really is that bad! I was 13 when i read it and i found it awful on EVERY level. I would recommend it to nobody apart from its 'writer'. Might read that one about Louis Hambleton by the wonderfully named Ben Hunt.
Wonder what became of Ronnie Much......Did he change his name to Jeremy Clarkson?

He appears to have also taken an interest in the two wheel fraternity, though I will not be parting with £15 to find out to what extent :lol:

http://www.amazon.co...ef=pd_rhf_p_t_1

#243 john t

john t

• 186 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 12:32

No Revues! Maybe nobody bought it......

#244 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,431 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:37

How about The Little Book of Grand Prix Legends by Philip Raby?

My nomination for this thread is by the same 'author', Philip Raby, and his 2007 effort "Grand Prix : Driver by Driver" (A compilation of every driver ever to have raced in a Grand Prix).

This book was picked up by my better half from a charity shop for £2 and that is about all it is worth. As a book without narrative and purely statistical there are some howlers. For example Hubert Hahne was born 13/4/1931, which coincidentally is the same date of birth as the next entry - Mike Hailwood. Both are incorrect as we all know that this is the birth date of Dan Gurney (the entry preceding Hahne)!

The photos are no better. There is a photo labelled as Giulio Cabianca (who died in 1961) resplendant in his Marlboro drivers suit (it's Alex Caffi)

No doubt there are many many more...

I can only recommend this book if you want a good laugh with your whisky...
Rob

Edited by Rob Ryder, 05 November 2009 - 21:52.

#245 rwills

rwills

• 125 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 21:58

I ended up with 2 paperback copies of Niki Lauda and the Grand Prix Gladiators :blush:

There are currently 8 copies available on Amazon at £0.01 http://www.amazon.co...;condition=used

Unfortunately you have to pay a ridiculous £2.75 postage to see just how bad it is. At 1p it is probably worth a punt as far as my experience of this book goes.....

#246 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,083 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:03

This Christmas a well-meaning relative gave me The F1 Formula 1TM Official Annual 2010.

It's a book aimed at the 10-year old fan. There's nothing wrong with that, except most of the information is totally out of date. All the text appears to have been written in late 2008 and would be fine if you were reading it on Boxing Day 2008 - eg "Formula 1 Calendar 2009" not 2010, "A day in the life of a Formula 1 Driver " Silverstone 2008 not 2009, etc. There has been a token effort to update it but it has clearly been done on the cheap. I would expect better from a book that is sanctioned by Formula 1 Administration Ltd.

In all seriousness, does anyone know the address to write to Bernie Ecclestone and complain - if he wants to treat motor sport as a marketable brand he should ensure they do a "proper job" and eliminate slapdash products like this.

Edited by D-Type, 26 December 2009 - 16:32.

#247 Paul Hurdsfield

Paul Hurdsfield

• 8,954 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 21:15

Your not going to believe this Duncan, but I got that too,
Sister in law bought it for me as a joke :lol:
I haven't opened it yet but for a quick scan :rolleyes:
I may pass it on to No1 Grandson, at eight years old it's just about at his level :rotfl:

Edited by Paul Hurdsfield, 26 December 2009 - 21:16.

#248 Pullman99

Pullman99

• 796 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 19:00

Santa was good to me at Christmas and got me The Toleman Story (read it straightaway). Excellent in its way, and I have noted the comments on the Toleman book thread - it does seem to have a few typos as well - but overall it was avery enjoyable read.

In contrast, I was also given a copy of "Out of the Shadows - behind the scenes of 1960s motor racing". The author is Roger Lane and it's basically a limited collection (possibly all of it) of his own photographs. I've only just flicked through it so far and there are some nice driver shots but overall it looks a bit shallow (that could suggest an alternative title). I would not wish to belittle others efforts - and it WAS a gift after all - but my first impressions are that its all a bit unnecessary. An example of the apparent standard is one particular image of Jackie Stewart in the March 701 in 1970 that refers to "Matra blue" and JYS carrying the number 1 in 1971.

Anyone got any views on this to persuade me to open it again?

Edited by Pullman99, 29 December 2009 - 20:12.

#249 kayemod

kayemod

• 9,025 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 19:44

Anyone got any views on this to persuade me to open it again?

No. I browsed idly through it in my local Borders (while they were still open of course) several weeks before Christmas, found very little to hold my attention, and put it back on the pile, a bit of a photographic potboiler really. I'd have thought that the commercial appeal of this book was very limited indeed, the photos I looked at certainly weren't anything special.

#250 tyrrellp346wheels

tyrrellp346wheels

• 578 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 20:49

Today i recived the updated version of the complete book of formula one witch goes to the end of the 2008 season and i am so dissapointed. The book is brilliant untill you get to the 2003 season where instead of placing the cars in championship order, they have listed them in car number order and its the same for 04-08, like they couldn,t be bothered to finnish it and also in the updated version they haven't but the driver list either

very dissapointed as the original version was brilliant.

I also have to agree with d-type :lol:

Edited by tyrrellp346wheels, 29 December 2009 - 20:51.