• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 08:54

From dailyf1

HANS system revealed

This weekend not only marked the running of the San Marino Grand Prix, but also the revelation of a new safety system set for introduction in F1 in the next few years.

Known as HANS (Head and Neck Support) the system has been a joint project by the FIA, Mercedes-Benz, and McLaren, and is the brainchild of American biomechanics professor Dr. Robert Hubbard.

The device, built from carbon-fibre, is held onto the upper body of the driver by the seat belts and attached to the helmet with tethers. In an accident, the device is used to allay the head’s extreme accelerated movements, and to reduce the risk of neck strain. The head is also prevented from hitting the edge of the cockpit or steering wheel.

Car giant DaimlerChrysler presented to the press in the media centre at Imola a prototype of the HANS system in composite material, weighing just 700 grams.

‘We are happy to take up the suggestion from the FIA of bringing our knowledge and our many years of experience of safety engineering for production vehicles to the HANS project and possibly also further research projects,’ said Jürgen Hubbert, Member of the Board of Management of DaimlerChrysler.

‘We consider this to be a significant contribution towards making the fascinating sport of Formula One even more safe.’

FIA President Max Mosley said: ‘This is a major step forward in the search to introduce ever improved safety standards in Formula One.

‘It is particularly significant that this research has been carried out jointly with one of the world's major car manufacturers.

‘This shows how motor sport is a research medium for the motor car industry not only for performance, but also for safety. I would like to thank everybody at Mercedes-Benz and McLaren, and Professor Hubbert in particular, for their efforts and contribution "

The new system is an alternative to the Formula One airbag, which was also studied for feasibility by the same three parties involved with HANS.

It was decided the bag could not guarantee avoiding neck strain, and the horizontal seating position of the driver and steering wheel also presented problems for cushioning the driver’s head and chest simultaneously.

While HANS will be refined for introduction, the airbag project has been abandoned.

Advertisement

#2 Williams

Williams

• 6,829 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 08:57

Can anybody post a picture of this HANS thing ? Sound like a neat idea, but I con't see the drivers liking having their helmets tethered.

#3 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 09:09

I think Alan Jones brought up a good point on the TV coverage of Imola - Will the HANS device allow drivers to 'lean' into corners as most currently do, with a tilt of the head and slight twist of the shoulders. AJ said he was a driver who used to lean right into the corner, and with one of those devices, would feel restricted and uncomfortable. A lot of the current drivers do as well, so it will be interesting to see their response to the HANS device.

#4 Jecko

Jecko

• 3,499 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 09:51

I doubt they would implement a safety system that would inmpair the driver's ability to perform at their max. Otherwise it might cause more harm than good.

#5 Vicster

Vicster

• 125 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 09:57

If a driver can't tilt his head, Alesi is in "BIG" trouble! I wonder it they'll be able to see their mirrors properly. There were enough complaints about backmarkers during this race.

#6 March817

March817

• 20 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 14:14

The device basically tethers the driver's helmet to his shoulders to keep him from breaking his neck in a crash. The driver can still move his head, he just can't move it "too" far. Unlike the higher cockpit sides now mandated on the cars, the HANS also works in fore/aft movements.

#7 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 14:35

The device is very clever. It will not only help in an accident but it will also reduce the stresses on the drivers neck in the race while cornering. The drivers will not need to support their head on the sides of the cockpit. Thus it will most likely give a big advantage to one using it as over race distance the drivers neck muscles get artificial support and therefore less fatigue.

Now that McLaren have FIA's sanction to use it. I wouldn't be surprised if it appears soon. Maybe even next race as it has been tested and approved now. The McLaren no dount has the slot for it also and in their case its a simple installation.

We will see a MIka and DC robot sooner than expected I think ;)

#8 Frans MSH

Frans MSH

• 3,704 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 14:36

Anybody saw also the "FRANS" system? To check for illegal electronical devices in the cockpit? I saw it this weekend....... looks like an UFO.

;)

Frans

#9 Daemon

Daemon

• 5,452 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 14:57

Hey Frans, after Schueys 3 poor starts, and Mika and Davids consistently excellent ones, what are your thoughts on who has the traction control now, eh?

#10 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 15:23

3 poor starts?

In Melbourne he kept 3rd spot.
Brazil he moved up one.

that is one poor start although he still kept his place at the 3rd.

#11 Frans MSH

Frans MSH

• 3,704 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 15:23

Daemon.... there is traction control and there is launch control.... and many other systems........

There are diffrence's, it seems you better can have traction control instead of launch control......... Because the maximum of points is gained in 2000 with traction control.

Frans

#12 bschue

bschue

• 120 posts

Posted 10 April 2000 - 23:01

I wonder if CART is thinking of this also. I see it as being even more valuable on ovals.

Too bad they didn't have this before Greg Moore's accident. It may have helped.

#13 andretti

andretti

• 723 posts

Posted 11 April 2000 - 01:00

This device has been around for atleast 5 years now.

People have been testing out. Fittipaldi was testing on last year.

It will be mandatory in cart next year.

This you have not helped moore. He was killed instantly car car hit directly over the cockpit.

The safety they need was tires and no grass so the car would have not gone airborne.

#14 March817

March817

• 20 posts

Posted 11 April 2000 - 13:33

Here you go!
http://www.sportscar...ld/worldlem.htm

Check out the rest of the site as well. The best sportscar and GT site around.

#15 Mobile_Chicane

Mobile_Chicane

• 917 posts

Posted 13 April 2000 - 20:35

It looks pretty uncomfortable in that picture.

Heres a picture from the FIA site.

Posted Image

[This message has been edited by Mobile_Chicane (edited 04-13-2000).]