Photo

Is the ferrari marlboro red or true ferrari red?

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#1 Jdcasas

Jdcasas

• 357 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 22:48

I was just wondering, I cant really tell the difference what type of red it is.

Advertisement

#2 LeTurc

LeTurc

• 1,537 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 22:49

Color Blind?

#3 JPMCrew

JPMCrew

• 1,840 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 23:06

Originally posted by LeTurc
Color Blind?

LeTurc, not everybody is as lucky as you. Some people actually have to watch the races on TV rather than live.

jdcasas, I never saw a Ferrari live before 1999, but I understand the red changed when they got their Marlboro sponsorship.

#4 Dudley

Dudley

• 9,248 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 23:11

Nope, Marlboro was been on the car since 1984, the change happened for 1997

1996:
http://www.forix.com...96/03001_JL.JPG

1997:
http://www.forix.com...05_jnewton_.jpg

#5 Scudetto

Scudetto

• 8,226 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 23:11

Ferrari (rosso corsa) Red:
Posted Image

Marlboro Red:
Posted Image

#6 tim

tim

• 1,596 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 23:14

LeTurk, you should really try and post something constructive now and then, instead of posting le crap.

Ferraris used to be a much deeper shade of red than they are now. The present colour scheme came into being in 1996.

Here's a Ferrari from 1995. (My favourite Ferrari, ever).

Here's last years car.

:wave:

#7 Mila

Mila

• 8,564 posts

Posted 14 February 2002 - 23:54

my brother-in-law's first live GP was Montreal 97, with seats just at the pit exit.

during practice MS and EI proceed onto the track. not recognizing these two cars--due to the color scheme--my brother-in-law asks, "when are the Ferraris coming out?"

"Ferrari: Engine Supplier to Team Marlboro."

#8 The Voice of Reason

The Voice of Reason

• 625 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:05

Thanks Scudetto, I'd actually forgotten what a Ferrari should really look like! The current colour looks awful in comparison, really washed out. :down:

#9 Ivan

Ivan

• 6,646 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:11

I hate the orange red that they use. I don't get why they needed that to happen before Marlboro decided to stay. Hell They left McLaren just to concentrate on Ferrari.

#10 krakbuis

krakbuis

• 202 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:12

I remember a commentator explaining; it also had to do with how the colors are seen on a tv-screen.. :

#11 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:14

Actually last year I was watching the Brazil Grandprix on Satellite and the cars looked like they were Fushia Pink for the first 10 laps. I was wondering what the hell was going on. Good thing it was the transmission that caused it.

#12 kouks

kouks

• 802 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:15

I thought it was Schumacher Red :cool:

#13 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:32

The color has definitely changed towards a more orangy-red :

|
Posted Image

Posted Image
|

#14 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:37

I've always thought that it was just a switch to a dayglo red, so that it really saturates the red on tv's. It's just a guess on my part. Corsa Rosa is really quite pretty, hope they go back to it some day.

ggg

#15 LeTurc

LeTurc

• 1,537 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:40

Originally posted by JPMCrew

LeTurc, not everybody is as lucky as you. Some people actually have to watch the races on TV rather than live.

jdcasas, I never saw a Ferrari live before 1999, but I understand the red changed when they got their Marlboro sponsorship.

I myself am color blind and cannot see some color combinations , this is why i asked it. Not all color blinds cannot distinguish between red and green.

#16 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:42

The change was made when Marlboro became primary sponsor of Ferrari, in 1997 (as mentioned in this thread before). It was made to meet Marlboro's colours. They were, after all, giving Ferrari more than any other sponsor in F1 has done before (and still are the largest 1 single paying sponsor).

By the way, if I'm not wrong, the red Ferrari colour is called testa rosa and not 'rosso corsa'

#17 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 60,390 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:43

LeTurc - it's not your fault, I know English is not your first language. Your "Color blind?" statement comes across as an insult to Jdcasas - it implies he is color blind rather than yourself.

#18 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:44

The color has definitely changed towards a more orangy-red

While I believe that this is true, from some shots there is very little between them. At the '97 Suzuka GP, Ferrari has a '96 car on display and it was difficult to see the difference. The '97 car was a brighter shade when seen in direct light.

Looks like I better take another trip to Maranello to browse around the museum. Back in '91, they were all the same colour.

#19 The Voice of Reason

The Voice of Reason

• 625 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:45

You sure can't call them the Scarlett Ferraris anymore. :(

Advertisement

#20 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:46

It looks even more orange in real life. I was shocked in 2000 to see Schumacher's helmet in real life - it look dark orange, not red.

#21 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:49

Bira, testa rosa is "red head", the color that the head of the engine was painted, corsa rosa is ~"racing red"~ at least that is the translation that I've heard. Corsa rosa is what I've always heard Ferrari's are colored.

ggg

#22 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 00:57

Actually I think testa rosa is a name of a model or something - not sure.

#23 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:01

Yes the testa rosa is a car, or more correctly a series of cars, but it was so named because of the red painted head of the engine block.

ggg

#24 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:07

Originally posted by bira
It looks even more orange in real life. I was shocked in 2000 to see Schumacher's helmet in real life - it look dark orange, not red.

Maybe his helmut, but I was awestruck by how beautiful the Ferrari red is when you are at the track. I find it funny in a sense that the colour was changed so that among other reasons, it will look better on TV. Because it looks soooo soooo much better live.

Having said that, I do remember races from 1996, where the Scarlett Ferrari looked so dark at times on TV, that I didn't realise it was a Ferrari car.(This was a bit of a distance shot admittedly).

#25 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:09

Originally posted by goGoGene
Yes the testa rosa is a car, or more correctly a series of cars, but it was so named because of the red painted head of the engine block.

ggg

ok, thanks :)

#26 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:09

I was conversely shocked in 2000 by how orange they werent. I thought they were a very striking red, not orange in any way.

sure it isnt the classic ferrari colour (which it should be said was very peculiar on tv screens at time, sometimes almost looking brown) but it is NOT orange

Shaun

#27 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:10

Originally posted by Nikolas Garth
Maybe his helmut, but I was awestruck by how beautiful the Ferrari red is when you are at the track. I find it funny in a sense that the colour was changed so that among other reasons, it will look better on TV. Because it looks soooo soooo much better live.

A matter of taste, I guess : I don't like the Ferrari colour in real life and I can somehow withstand it on TV

#28 goGoGene

goGoGene

• 2,937 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:14

I agree bira, there is something classic about the deep Ferrari red, the dayglo red seems a bit too flashy for my taste.

ggg

#29 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:15

Originally posted by baddog
I was conversely shocked in 2000 by how orange they werent. I thought they were a very striking red, not orange in any way.

sure it isnt the classic ferrari colour (which it should be said was very peculiar on tv screens at time, sometimes almost looking brown) but it is NOT orange

Shaun

Well said, heh heh :up:

#30 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:21

Originally posted by baddog

Shaun

If we want to be very accurate, the current Ferrari colour has 100% yellow and 87% Magenta. The result is:

THIS COLOUR.

The previous Ferrari colour was 100% Magenta, 100% yellow and 13% cyan. The result is

THIS COLOUR.

Now, with LESS magenta than before, the yellow becomes more dominant, hence making it look more orange. And, appropriately enough, the actual NAME of the current taint is... OrangeRed... geez, I wonder why ;) :p

(btw the above isn't a very good reflection of the colours since our browser renders them differently for each user depending on his/her screen colour depth etc)

#31 Pascal

Pascal
  • Administrator Emeritus

• 22,896 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:22

Below you will find a picture of what the original Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa looked like (this is a reconstructed example)...

Posted Image

And here is the engine which red-painted head gave its name to the whole car...

Posted Image

Like many, I prefer the original Ferrari red to the lighter ersatz imposed by Marlboro. :|

#32 kouks

kouks

• 802 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:25

Originally posted by goGoGene

ggg

The Testa Rossa series if cars were called such because of the Cam covers that were red not the block or head.

#33 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:31

If we want to be very accurate, the current Ferrari colour has 100% yellow and 87% Magenta. The result is:

THIS COLOUR.

The previous Ferrari colour was 100% Magenta, 100% yellow and 13% cyan. The result is

THIS COLOUR.

Now, with LESS magenta than before, the yellow becomes more dominant, hence making it look more orange. And, appropriately enough, the actual NAME of the current taint is... OrangeRed... geez, I wonder why ;) :p

(btw the above isn't a very good reflection of the colours since our browser renders them differently for each user depending on his/her screen colour depth etc)

relevant phrase:

"hence making it look more orange" MORE orange not orange. it is indeed more towardas the orange end of the red spectrum, just not very far towards it from my perception.

I am simply reporting what *I* saw in front of my eyes from about a foot away in melbourne 2000. have they changed it since? if not then it looked bloody red to me. isnt that the only thing that I can comment on? and doesnt it give me precisely the same authority to comment as the greatest colour expert in the world? (which Im not, but nor are you)

you are also the person who pointed out the irrelevance of colour theory to actual appearance in a thread about the renault ;)

Shaun

#34 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:31

THIS COLOUR.

When I saw the Ferrari's live, it was a colour that looked to me, to be very close to this one. Much more so than the first colour you listed. :)

#35 The Voice of Reason

The Voice of Reason

• 625 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:32

Pascal, love the avatar! :cat: Does he/she have a name?

#36 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:34

Originally posted by The Voice of Reason
Pascal, love the avatar! :cat: Does he/she have a name?

Yes, I'll second that. I have been meaning to praise Pascal's avatar for ages, but never got a round to it. What a sweet kitty. :love:

BTW, much better Avatar than the previous one you had.;)

#37 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:36

baddog: why are you getting all defensive? :confused: I am not telling you that what you see is wrong or that you have a bad taste. I was merely giving out the technical "specs" of the Ferrari colours 7 years ago, and those of now. These colours are handed out to a magazine, for example, when a Ferrari advertisement is expected to run or when Ferrari merchandising is prepared. So chill off or something.

Nik: taking off those rose-tinted glassed would help :p ;)

#38 Scoop

Scoop

• 1,789 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:40

i like the red ferrari... When i saw the ferrari's last year, they did seem red (live at the race).
On TV, pretty often i was confused if the car was Arrows or Ferrari when they show the cars from the helicopter.. not sure if its the transmission or tv trouble.

#39 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:40

Actually, now that you mention it, I remember seeing a replica or maybe the actual car(but I doubt it) of Irvine's 1999 Aust GP winning Ferrari, in an airport in 2000. And it had a dullish mat red finish to it, that didn't really impress me that much. But the Ferrari red I saw in the 2001 Aus GP, was a striking metallic blood red(almost), that was very different to the Irvine replica. Have Ferrari changed their red in 2001?

Advertisement

#40 baddog

baddog

• 29,695 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:42

baddog: why are you getting all defensive? :confused: I am not telling you that what you see is wrong or that you have a bad taste. I was merely giving out the technical "specs" of the Ferrari colours 7 years ago, and those of now. These colours are handed out to a magazine, for example, when a Ferrari advertisement is expected to run or when Ferrari merchandising is prepared. So chill off or something.

sorry if it came across defensive, it wasnt at all! I was just being 'sarky' at you a bit in the spirit of your above post (OrangeRed... geez, I wonder why)

Im highly chilled.. its friday afternoon and I go home soon :)

Shaun

#41 Mrv

Mrv

• 6,416 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 01:56

Actually I think testa rosa is a name of a model or something - not sure.

Testa Rosa is "Red Head"

#42 jhodges

jhodges

• 1,404 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:06

I've long been a fan of rosso corsa and was VERY disappointed that they moved the Marlboro chevron to cover the entire car in '97.

To Bira's point, the colors look almost electric-powered in real life. You've never seen yellow 'till you've seen a Jordan, etc. While I can stand the Ferrari's color both live and on the tube (I think the Italian feed is purposefully dark to make the Ferraris look "normal"), Schumi's lid looks really bad, almost day-glo, at the races. Just goes to show that the scientization (if I may invent a word) of sport certainly spills over onto colors as they'll be seen on tv.

JH

#43 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:34

johdges babe, didn't we both get a shock from Schumi's orange head from the J stand in Friday's First Free Practice? :wave: hi babe :kiss:

#44 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 02:57

Ferrari 2002 in rossa corsa - bigger version here

Posted Image

#45 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:16

ahhhhhhhh.... :love:

#46 jma57944

jma57944

• 178 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:22

Whatever shade of red it might be, it looks pretty good to me everytime I see it in person. Ferrari and red have always been associated but wouldn't it something else if Ferrari decided to race in it's official color: Yellow ! ( I think I'm right on this)
The red in Ferrari is for Italy, the country's racing color as per the FIA.

#47 Nikolas Garth

Nikolas Garth

• 12,019 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:32

Originally posted by kanec
Ferrari 2002 in rossa corsa - bigger version here

Posted Image

That is a beautiful shade of red. Is there anyone who doesn't like the red in this pic?

#48 kanec

kanec

• 2,083 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:38

Just noticed this. I was so close at my guess 20-100-100-12 (CMYK). Missed it by that much! Oh well the filter applied to it I think has toned it down a fraction, so close enough.

#49 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 03:52

Kanec you did good :)

The key in the old Ferrari red is the 100% magenta with a touch of cyan, which gives it the scarlet feel. But then, this is Bruce's turf so I'll leave it to him :)

#50 DEVO

DEVO

• 2,637 posts

Posted 15 February 2002 - 04:05

Ferrari red is so nice... I guess I've grown use to Malboro red that I hadn't notice the difference... maybe they might go back one day.