Photo

Peter Ustinov's Grand Prix of Gibraltar?

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 stevew

stevew

• 495 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 06:38

Having some flashbacks here... I keep wanting to remember it as Grand Prix du Roc...

Is this classic (not sure what to call it, parody?) still available? Tape? CD?

I remember phrases:

"Revolutionary wooden engine"
"Bill Dill"
"Initial eight-yard straight"

And weren't the "Snorchedies" drivers required to wear overalls with a center shirt pocket (so as to not interfere with critical weight distribution)?

Any info?

Advertisement

#2 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 06:42

Ah, memories. Girling Foss, etc. I have it on vinyl ... must get it transferred to CD

Vanwall.

Edited by Gary Davies, 30 March 2021 - 08:57.

#3 david_martin

david_martin

• 1,989 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 07:07

Ahh yes, who could forget Commendatore Fanfani and his Paraguayan star driver Fandango, von Grips and the all-American hero Bill Dill. The interview with the Schnorcedes boss Altbauer "man must be zee slave of zee machine" is still one of the funniest pieces of observation humour I have ever heard :lol:

I do recall reading perhaps 5 or 6 years ago that the album had been re-issued on cassette and CD, although I don't know by whom and where it might be found (very helpful..;) )

#4 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,134 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 07:42

Originally posted by Vanwall
Ah, memories. Girling Moss, etc. I have it on vinyl ...

I remember it was Girling Foss... and that bit about the central pocket, too...

But how many years has it been?

I heard it at Mike Kable's place, I think he had it... will ask Joy when I get a chance.

#5 Gary Davies

Gary Davies

• 6,612 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 07:57

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I remember it was Girling Foss... and that bit about the central pocket, too...

But how many years has it been?

I heard it at Mike Kable's place, I think he had it... will ask Joy when I get a chance.

Ray of course it was Girling Foss. Damn, damn, damn. What a twit ... the head said Foss but the finger hit M :blush: :blush: :blush:

Vanwall.

#6 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,411 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 08:42

Not forgetting M Orgini's underfinanced specials, the playboy racer Rosarubi and commentator Roland Thaxter. 'Now, red means its Ger- er-er- blue is Germany...'

#7 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,648 posts

Posted 08 March 2002 - 11:57

How have I managed never to hear this?! I did a Google search and found a reference to a cassette version from 1997 - in the Sydney Morning Herald Christmas gift guide :rolleyes: . Plus two copies for sale - one in the States, one in France. I notice that the US version was done by Riverside Records - I seem to remember something from a few months back about plans to reissue their back catalogue of racing albums?

Edit:
Ah - found it!

http://www.atlasf1.c...verside Records

#8 Bumblyari

Bumblyari

• 160 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 00:36

Then there was Tony Cooks the part-time optometrist.

It's a brilliant piece of work which gets better the more you listen to it.

Riverside Records were bought out by Fantasy Records of Berkeley, California who produced the copy I have and Fantasy state on their website:

"We will be continually updating our catalog as new releases and new reissues become available. E-mail your special requests and comments to info@fantasyjazz.com"

So who knows, if they get enough requests they might re-issue it on CD

#9 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,134 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 01:30

Oh, by the way, isn't it 'Gibraltar'?

#10 stevew

stevew

• 495 posts

Posted 09 March 2002 - 16:17

Originally posted by Ray Bell
Oh, by the way, isn't it 'Gibraltar'?

:blush:

It was late...

#11 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 21:51

It seems rather unfortunate that in two runnings of the event, they never managed to have a single finisher. But one question that's been playing on my mind for some time is, under the GP rules of the time, would Girling Foss have been considered to have completed sufficient laps to be declared the winner?

Under current rules, of course, the race would have been halted after 2 hours, though this wouldn't have made much difference to the first edition, in which all the retirements seemed to occur on lap one.

So, what I was wondering is (serious question), do any GP rules, past or present, have a contingency clause to cover situations in which no-one is running at the finish? Would victory be given to the last car to retire? Or to whoever had completed the greatest distance? Has this situation ever actually occured in any major race?

#12 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,551 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 22:03

Has this situation ever actually occured in any major race?

I cannot remember such a happening, though one or two Monaco Grand Prix races came fairly close.

#13 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 42,648 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 22:15

There is a race in Sheldon somewhere where there were no finishers who completed the full distance, but I can't remember what it was. Some time in the 20s.

#14 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,134 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 10:14

There are rules about minimum distance to be covered...

Whether or not these are universal, I have no idea. It comes under the red flagging provisions, normally, but no doubt the same would apply in the event that all runners had retired. From memory, it's about two thirds distance.

Then again, without maximum time limits, and assuming some of the cars retired in the pits, it would be necessary to allow some period for cars to be repaired... even if there were no cars still running.

Just imagine what teams would do to get a car back out there if this were the case... cobbling up just anything to get that win, especially for a backrunner.

#15 ray b

ray b

• 2,962 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 17:37

:rotfl: there was a NASTY CAR race that nobody finished.
500 miler but due to wrecks and blowups
the last running car "WON" at 490 something

#16 FrankB

FrankB

• 3,721 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 19:28

Isn't there a Brockbank cartoon with the starter standing at the side of the track, flag poised - and every driver on the grid has his hand raised?

#17 oldtimer

oldtimer

• 1,291 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 19:39

Originally posted by Barry Boor

I cannot remember such a happening, though one or two Monaco Grand Prix races came fairly close.

1975 British GP at Silverstone was very close

#18 Gianni B

Gianni B

• 17 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 19:57

It has been re-released on CD by Ace Records in the UK

http://www.acerecord.../cdrivm014.html

I was able to purchase it here in the States on Amazon.

Cheers,
Gianni

#19 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 03 October 2002 - 15:07

From memory - I think the 'blue book' states that if no car crosses the finish line during a period of 10 minutes, the cheq'd flag can be shown and the race declared complete.

Again from memry - one of the best bits of the record is the addition to the regulations of the 'purple' flag to indicate that the crown prince has arrived - and the instructions to all drivers to stop their cars and stand to attention.

Advertisement

#20 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 06 October 2002 - 09:19

I think the 'blue book' states that if no car crosses the finish line during a period of 10 minutes, the cheq'd flag can be shown and the race declared complete.

Surely that cannot be right - at circuits like Nurburgring there would be a danger of the race being declared over on the first lap! It seems more likely that instead of a fixed 10 minutes, it would be some multiple of a 'normal' lap time, or perhaps, 10 minutes plus a normal lap time. Anyone know the exact blue book ruling?

#21 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 08:12

Pedo - You could be right about that for the 'Ring - the 'blue book' only covers national and lower grade racing in the UK so it would not be a problem - though sometimes it just feels like they are doing 10+ min laps.

#22 pedro

pedro

• 65 posts

Posted 07 October 2002 - 22:24

Sorry - getting my 'book' colours confused. Am I right in thinking the Blue Book is the RAC British one, and the Yellow Book international?

#23 FlagMan

FlagMan

• 475 posts

Posted 08 October 2002 - 08:03

Correct - I do not have a copy of the yellow book - except for a very old one from the early 70's - if I can find that I will check if it has a similar regulation.

#24 Seppi_0_917PA

Seppi_0_917PA

• 264 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 03:18

I just stumbled upon the announcement of the CD reissue of this:

PETER USTINOV
The Grand Prix of Gibraltar!
Riverside RCD-833-2 ~ $14.98 AVAILABLE 8/12

http://www.fantasyja..._p_cat.html#833

#25 Richard Neale

Richard Neale

• 301 posts

Posted 09 August 2003 - 10:25

The CD is also available from Good Music Record Co,Hays House,Freepost PY2035, Box 99, St Austell, Cornwall. PL25 4BR at £ 7.95. Stock #1719C

Woody

#26 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 19:05

What was Ustinov spoofing with the American "Wildfowl" car....Cunningham? Too early for Scarab?

#27 Richard Neale

Richard Neale

• 301 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 21:05

A 'Duck' perhaps? :rotfl:

#28 RayBo

RayBo

• 20 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 21:20

The Wildfowl is the Ford Thunderbird

#29 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 81,134 posts

Posted 11 August 2003 - 22:42

As long as it wasn't Chaparral...

He would have needed a Coyote to do that.

#30 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,513 posts

Posted 13 August 2003 - 15:43

a new (working) link: http://www.fantasyja...inov_p_cat.html

cheers!

#31 lanciaman

lanciaman

• 558 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 01:31

Legend has it Ustinov showed up in the studio with just a handful of notes and winged it from there. I loaned my vinyls out (I had 2) years ago never to see them again, and am glad to learn from you posters that I can get another.

#32 Anorak Man

Anorak Man

• 312 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 05:22

The Grand Prix of Gibraltar by Peter Ustinov, Audio CD .
Raymond Thaxter interviews; Von Grips, Fandango, and Foss, for those who missed perhaps the most hilarious GP of them all. A breath of fresh ... petrol.

Go on, you'll love it.

Go here, scroll down and you'll find it bottom left.

http://www.born-agai...ian.info/f1.htm

AM

#33 Kjetil

Kjetil

• 75 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 09:41

DukeVideo also have the CD
http://www.dukevideo...oducts/3870.htm

#34 50Fraud

50Fraud

• 10 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 14:16

My favorite details were also from the Schnorcedes interview:
1) Drivers rode in the cars with one leg forwards and one to the rear, to improve weight distribution, and
2) Drivers were to blow their noses before the race (and surrender the tissue) to minimize weight.

#35 Breadmaster

Breadmaster

• 2,513 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 14:45

amazon.co.uk

as reviewed by Atlas F1's own petefenelon......

#36 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 August 2003 - 19:44

The LP was produced by "Riverside Records", our American friends might be interested to know....

#37 dbltop

dbltop

• 1,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 09:45

I have just scored a copy of Ustinov's GP of Gibralter!! It cost me a buck at a used record sale and I can't wait to listen to it as I have never heard it before. I have to wait though because I got it just before I went to work and I'm just home now at 5;45 am. So I know what i'm doing when I get up :clap: :clap:

#38 Tom Glowacki

Tom Glowacki

• 535 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 00:03

Eoin Young's "The Amazing Summer of '55" has a chapter on "The Grand Prix of Gibraltar". Ustinov told Young that he had a cold while making the recording, which was a good thing, because without the cold, he could only have done an 8 cylinder engine.