Photo

DC has three broken ribs!!!!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 22:32

David Coulthard has cracked three of his ribs despite reports to the contrary earlier in the week.

The Scot finished second in the weekend’s Spanish Grand Prix despite suffering from pain from his ribs, which were hurt in last Tuesday’s plane crash. The Scot received a new diagnosis after a detailed examination at London’s Princess Grace Hospital yesterday. It had been thought he had only suffered serious bruising.

Coulthard will take the rest of the week off to rest his injuries. McLaren are testing at the moment in Jerez with Mika Hakkinen and test driver Olivier Panis.

Mclaren boss Ron Dennis said: “We have no doubt that David will be racing at the Nurburgring. He is not participating in our test at Jerez in Spain this week to allow time for his injuries to heal.”

Advertisement

#2 Zoe

Zoe

• 7,721 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 23:11

Tough guy, and I always thought that, since the goodbye of Keke and Nigel the age of Real Men has long since been gone.

Hats off to DC, hopefully his effort and pain will be rewarded.

Zoe

------------------
One of the important freedoms is the freedoms to continue to be unpopular (B. Mawhinney)

#3 RedFever

RedFever

• 9,408 posts

Posted 10 May 2000 - 23:12

well, he got 6 points in Spain, to start with......

#4 Cinquecento

Cinquecento

• 2,163 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 01:32

Whoah! Rib cage is easily supported with good banding (sp?) though, so I'm sure he'll be at Nuerburgring as well. In the long run, this might affect his basic training.

#5 cartfan76

cartfan76

• 77 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 01:59

I"m normally "pro Ferrari"...but I've got to give DC a "well done" for his great performance in Spain w/those cracked ribs!
Regards,
Justin

#6 SKL

SKL

• 1,461 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 03:41

I' m impfressed! I've raced my shifter kart with just bruised ribs and it hurts like hell- can't limagine a real race car, and a F1 car to boot,and doing a whole race. Of course, at 50, I'm not in the shape he's in...Thought he handled the whole thing very well.

#7 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 04:06

Didn't they take X-rays in Lyon?

Well. I was just in a very nasty plane wreck but the Doc took a quick look over and said I was fine. Why don't I drive my girlfriend back to Monaco?

I'm not saying anything about DC, but remind me not to visit a hospital in France!

#8 Yohbi

Yohbi

• 460 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 04:18

Mono-posto,

I've had cracked ribs in a mountain bike fall and my x-rays were negative when one doc read them, but were read as cracked by a radiologist. Both docs said they are very hard to read. It was tough to kill the pain with legal drugs. My helmet is off to DC. I don't know how he did it.

#9 mono-posto

mono-posto

• 1,674 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 04:29

Oh I agree Yohbi, no offence, but your not a world famous athlete being paid millions of dollars and scheduled to race in a Formula 1 motorrace in a few days!! I would have thought that they would have had a team of doctors, radiologists and nearly any other expert available to make sure that DC was AOK. They shouldn't miss 3 cracked ribs when they know what he was about to go through?

Kudo's to DC for doing it though!

#10 Yohbi

Yohbi

• 460 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 07:38

Mono-posto,

You point is well taken. McLaren should have had the best doctors they could find to examine DC. The only excuse they could have had was they were in shock about the crash. Still, Ron D should have been thinking of a contigency plan in the advent of one of his driver's having a serious non-racing accident. I believe the blame should stop with him. He's the man in charge.

#11 Arnaldo

Arnaldo

• 831 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 07:50

I think Niki breathed some burning fumes into his lungs, his ears were burnt badly as was his face, and when he got out of his Ferrari, his balaclava was soaked in blood. Can we get this whole thing into perspective? I admire DC for his achievements and his comeback, but lets not overdo the heroics. DC has four exclamations after ribs. Posted Image

#12 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 15:55

I read at autosport.com that DC kept it a secret.

#13 ClashCityRocker

ClashCityRocker

• 662 posts

Posted 11 May 2000 - 20:09

Mat,

I'm not surprised that DC kept it a secret. If they knew about his broken ribs they would probably have not let him drive in Spain.

DC cared more about getting points then his three broken ribs.

------------------
I wanna move the town to the Clash City Rockers
You Need a little jump of electrical shockers

#14 Yohbi

Yohbi

• 460 posts

Posted 12 May 2000 - 03:06

Arnaldo,

IMHO you seem to forget that DC was in a horrific plane crash that saw 2 people die before his eyes. Also, remember that DC also has to live with the fact that these two pilots saved his life and he could not do anything to save theirs. That's a little more then just some cracked ribs. DC deserves all the kudos he is getting.

[This message has been edited by Yohbi (edited 05-12-2000).]

#15 JayWay

JayWay

• 11,618 posts

Posted 12 May 2000 - 03:08

Poor DC,

wanna know what makes things worse? You may think before all this sh*t happened to DC, that atleast he got a happy moment at Silverstone by winning, but even there he got bad luck. His father who was going to see him race that day, did not get a chance to see his son win. Why? He was stuck in traffic going to the track and never got there.