Photo

Roy Nockolds

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 22:47

Can anyone tell me anything about this artist? I have just done a Google search on him and came up with www.nockolds.com but it doesn't seem to want to load up. How much stuff did he paint in his lifetime, famous subjects etc? Anyone??

Advertisement

#2 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,531 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 22:52

Roy was the artist brother of Conrad Nockolds who was a director of Iliffe, publisher of 'The Autocar'. I think this is the right way round, I tend to muddle Temple Press with Iliffe, Temple published 'The Motor', the rival British weekly magazine. Roy lived for years in Black Pond Lane, Farnham, here on the Surrey/Hampshire border and for 10 years I lived 100 yards further up the hill from him. He painted all manner of subjects - but mainly mechanical, cars, boats, ships, planes and trains. He was a very friendly, pleasant old boy, and his paintings were often commissioned by the oil companies, for example, such as the Hawthorn in the Morocan GP '58 painting which BP presented to Mike, and literally hundreds of others. His oevre, in fact, was enormous. But he always had one major failing. He'd paint racing cars - especially Brooklands era cars - with the driver too small, to add grandeur to the car. It just made all Bugattis and Alfas for example look as if they were driven by midgets or elves.

DCN

#3 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 21 May 2002 - 22:59

Thanks for that Doug. I presume he's no longer with us??

#4 Sebastian Tombs

Sebastian Tombs

• 2,068 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 21:17

Resurrecting an ancient thread!  A friend of mine assists in the care and maintenance of the bikes and cars at Milntown House on the Isle of Man.  Among the cars is a 3-owner from new 1910 Delage Type S (or T).  The house is administered by a trust set up by its former owner Sir Clive Edwards.  There is still a huge amount of books, paperwork and other paraphernalia stored in the attics to be examined and catalogued.  Latest find is two Roy Nockolds paintings commisioned by Sir Clive in 1974 (complete with a letter from Roy quoting £50 each for the commision and apologetically asking for a fiver for framing)  I thought you might like to see mini versions of them.

http://img4.imagetit...lands-mini.jpg

http://img4.imagetit...neider-mini.jpg

Edit:  The titles are 'Vickers Vimy over Brooklands' and 'The Last Schneider'

Edited by Sebastian Tombs, 20 November 2019 - 21:20.