Looking for stories - Venezuela Grand Prix

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Niky

Niky

• 113 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 03:09

Hello all!

Last week I was talking with a friend of mine about Latin American races (as usual), we both nostalgic :lol: and trying to remember as many stories as possible... After the chat, I went to my bookcase, I took my university final work (about the development of auto racing in Latin America) and I discovered a very uncompleted story about the Venezuelan Grand Prix (1955-57), so I am looking for more information, stories… more than statistics, human stories… I have the participant’s lists and the results, but I feel I need more details! I would like to re-write that piece of motor sports history (also my friend…) and additionally I have some questions:

1. Can we say those were “Grand Prix” or just races…?
2.Someone know if there was any attempt to establish that race as a part of the F1 calendar? (I read that in one of the many tons of newspapers I looked into for information, but never seems very real to me…)

If someone has any info and/or memory for sharing is more than welcome!!!! :wave:

Advertisement

#2 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 06:51

Those were sports car races Niki! AFAIK they never applied for F1. If they had there would have been no problem,as the then rules allowed for a maximum of 12 and that number was not reached until 1968. The '57 GP was the last major event held in that country and most famous for the works Maserati team destroying all their cars and soon after going bankrupt.
In latin america almost every race is called a 'Grand Premio' including every round of the SudAmF3 series!

#3 marhal

marhal

• 129 posts

Posted 09 July 2002 - 16:43

Hello..............

Coincidentially, I am trying to make an investigation about the Venezuelan GP´s of 1955-56 because are the less known races in Fangio´s career. It´s very embarrasing to admit, but, I live in Caracas and is almost impossible to find anything, specially photos....................anybody could help me????????????????????????????? :stoned:

#4 Hans Etzrodt

Hans Etzrodt

• 3,188 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 10:16

The races mentioned took place in Caracas, Venezuela in 1955, 56 and 57. The events were restricted to sports cars but carried the Grand Prix title. Since big stars like Fangio, Moss, Collins, Phil Hill, Hawthorn, Musso, Behra and others raced their Ferraris and Maseratis there, it should not be too difficult to find more information about these events. :)

#5 Carlos Jalife

Carlos Jalife

• 322 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 16:30

Niki, check with our friend Octavio Estrada, he has a book on those that should be published soon, he knows quite a bit about them. :up:

#6 Stefan Ornerdal

Stefan Ornerdal

• 578 posts

Posted 10 July 2002 - 19:34

Maybe a little off topic - I have some info on a Formula 2 race, probably called "Gran Premio Venezuela" held March 18, 1973 at a track called " San Carlos".

The podium:
1. Andrea de Adamich, I, Brabham BT38 - Ford
2. Bobby Dennett, YV, Chevron B18 - Ford
3. Carl Liebig, CDN, Chevron B18 - Ford

This info provided by fellow TNF:er Emulman, who found it in Italian "Autosprint" magazine.

Anyone who knows more? Anything is of interest!

Stefan

#7 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 06:02

This one was reported as a FB/Atlantic race by my source.
Premio Stampe Nazionale-San Carlos 1.6 mls x 30laps

#8 Darren Galpin

Darren Galpin

• 2,330 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 07:22

Posted Image
This 9.93km track was used for the 1957 Venezuelan Grand Prix, a round of the World Sportscar Championship, although it had been used for two non-championship rounds before this. The track consisted of a blast up and down the city boulevards, using ramps and overpasses for corners. The major drawback of the track was the stone bollards dotted around the track, which were frequently nudged. They eventually became dislodged and caused several accidents. Coupled with crowd control problems and a lack of organisation, the race was not repeated.

#9 Niky

Niky

• 113 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 22:35

Actually, the track, know as Los Proceres, was still used during the seventies (I remember there was a driver who had a very bad accident I think in VW-Beatle. The driver was "Potoco" Delgado... as far as I know).

If you visit Caracas, you can drive almost every part of the track. There are some changes because the city has grown up, but the major part is still there.

In reference to the race Stefan mentioned, I looked the "book" (no published, but write) I wrote about Venezuelan Motor Racing, and I didnt find that particular race, but for sure San Carlos was used around 73 for international races.

When I was researching for my book I went to the Touring Club de Venezuela, and the former President, Mr Barbosa (+) told me the archives with all the statistics, have been taken by a guy named Gabriel Martell. I found Martell in Maracibo (border with Colombia), who actually had most of the records (by hand!!!!), and very detailed information from 1948 (Buenos Aires-Caracas) to 1980 (aprox) We met at the Maracaibo racetrack (Virgen de la La Chinita, now known as Hermanos Parisi) and he said: "All you can copy during the day is yours". I recorded seven tapes (read and recorded was faster than copy word by word on hand writing), and I used that info.

Many years later, Martell, very ill, was moved to Valencia (near to Caracas) where he died. I understand the TACV's new President, Mr Soprano, recovered some of the information but I am not sure about that part. I moved to USA and never asked Mr Soprano again.... but AFAIK, most of the offial info is missing. A shame....

However, still there are many people alive who remember the races (those during the 50's) and drivers who compited in the 70's....

#10 litrico

litrico

• 26 posts

Posted 10 April 2008 - 16:51

Originally posted by Carlos Jalife
Niki, check with our friend Octavio Estrada, he has a book on those that should be published soon, he knows quite a bit about them. :up:

I'm interesting in Los Proceres Circuit. I Have a Moretti Sport Car 750cc that race in Los Proceres during 60'.
Is it true that there is a book wrote by Octavio Estrada?

Thanks

Antonio

#11 litrico

litrico

• 26 posts

Posted 07 July 2008 - 15:58

Dear Niki,

I tolk with Octavio Estrada same years agoo, but he said to me that hadn't many time to spend in this because of the work. May be you are more confidential with him. Could you ask?
I have a Moretti 750 sport that raced during the sixties in Los Proceres I have some photo and the exact date. If you want I can tell you. I'm certain that Octavio has other foto. During the secon part of the 50' the car raced with a certain Edward Sepulveda in Venezuela but not in Los Proceres. Do you know him?

Ciao

Antonio