Photo

Zandvoort 1971

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 18:27

Nigel Roebuck has mentioned that "My best memories of Zandvoort? The mesmeric fight in the rain between Jacky Ickx and Pedro Rodriguez in 1971". I seem to recall a photo of those two in the issue of 'Road&Track' covering that event; it showed, quite clearly, one of the drivers intently looking into his rear-view mirrors at the car so close behind.
I was wondering if anyone had a copy of that picture anywhere?
Warren

Advertisement

#2 stavelot

stavelot

• 80 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 19:42

Is that the photo you are looking for?

http://www.forix.com...71/04002_ry.jpg

#3 Martyj

Martyj

• 191 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 19:49

Surprisingly, I remember that pix well. It's not the one stavelot posted. It was under breaking, with Ickx in front, and a very clear shot of his eyes through his visor watching his mirror instead of the approaching corner. Pedro was right on this tail.

Can't remember the issue for sure, but usually, the early June races would appear in the September or October issue.

#4 scheivlak

scheivlak

• 16,489 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 20:10

This one?
http://latphoto.co.uk/html/*2PV_008721

#5 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 20:48

There is a far better pic that appeared in Road & Track. You can see Jacky's eyes as he checks out the "Mad Mexican" in his mirrors.

#6 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 26 September 2002 - 21:11

Thanks, all!
The photos were good, but not the one I remember. Guess I was hoping that someone had a copy buried in their attic and could scan a copy. I don't recall if Autocourse had the same picture in it that year or not. Unfortunately, all of my Autocourses from 1969 to the present vanished during a move....

#7 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 16:38

I have a copy buried somewhere but it will likely be months before I uncover it. But I remember it well.

There were two photos, the first the close up of Jacky checking his mirrors with the caption:

"You are Jacky Ickx. You are leading the race. And..."

Then the zoomed out photo showing the BRM on the Ferrari's tail, with the caption:

"Pedro Rodriguez is this far behind you."

If no one finds it first I will scan it in some future month.

Dave

Hmmm...I wonder if this was the September issue? That issue had LeMans, Monaco, a Ronnie Peterson profile and an article w/ Denny Hulme. I think the Dutch race may have been in that issue.

#8 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 27 September 2002 - 20:14

Dave, You have one hell of a memory!! As far as I can remember, that is exactly the caption!

#9 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 12 December 2020 - 22:11

Here's some good footage, with French commentary, of the riveting battle between Ickx and Rodriguez. Their Firestones may have been better than the Goodyears, but they certainly used them well! Two fantastic wet weather drivers.

#10 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 13:02

I may have mentioned before that, while the drivers were battling away at Zandvoort, I was sitting in the grandstand at Silverstone, watching a slightly lower-key Nottingham Sports Car Club meeting. When the commentator announced the Grand Prix result....Ferrari - BRM - Ferrari....I was in heaven. And now Jacky Ickx was only five points behind Stewart, ready to challenge for the World Championship! Sadly, Ickx didn't score another point all season, JYS won the next three races and ran away with the championship. Ah well, all would be fine for Ferrari and Ickx in 1972. Surely?

Regarding the above highlights, great to see Ickx and Rodriguez battling away on the limit of adhesion, slithering around Zandvoort's swoops, trying different lines, all the time treating each other with respect. Wonderful opportunism from Pedro as he bursts through the back-markers, Jacky trapped behind Schenken; sporting awareness too from JYS as he is lapped by the leaders. Tyrrell and the other non-Firestone teams must have given Goodyear a rocket after this wet-weather disaster!

Very sad to think that Pedro would be lost only a few weeks after this race.

Edited by john winfield, 13 December 2020 - 13:03.

#11 La Sarthe

La Sarthe

• 129 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 16:35

Interesting to see Ickx using 'the karting line' in the slower corners. You tend to think of it as a more recent technique, but clearly used to good effect in 1971!

#12 nmansellfan

nmansellfan

• 434 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 19:34

Here's a few minutes of a colour version of the TV broadcast from '71:

https://youtu.be/AaBo30pC1Sk

#13 1969BOAC500

1969BOAC500

• 113 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 20:04

Many thanks to both for posting these clips. Watching them immediately after having watched todays' event from Abu Dhabi was......refreshing.

#14 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 13 December 2020 - 20:55

Interesting to see how the circuit looked before the changes that were made for the 1973 Grand Prix - no GP was held in 1972 of course. 

Still sad to see Dave Walker's demise in the GLTL Lotus turbine and I'd forgotten the "overhead" rearview mirror that Skip Barber had installed on his March 711.

Hope WGD706 found his picture.

#15 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2020 - 21:32

pg-1.png

From the September 1971 Road and Track. 

#16 john winfield

john winfield

• 5,661 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 18:53

More footage from Brian Dandridge. Here's his intro:

This is cine footage I shot in 1971. NOTE:_ THE MOTOR RACING STARTS AT 9:45 on the timeline. My wife, then fiancé, and I were on a Page & Moy motor racing holiday which took in the Le Mans 24 hour race (another reel/film) and the Dutch Grand Prix plus three nights in Paris and two nights in Brussels - all for the princely sum go £45 per head including entrance tickets for both races!!!! It was amazing value. If you are a fan of F1 you might find this of interest. It includes quite a few clips of the Lotus 56B Gas Turbine F1 car - the only year in which it was raced - driven here by Dave Walker. The Lotus 72 was driven by Reine Wissell.

The Paris footage is fun, and the Zandvoort shots are great; dry practice and wet race.

Edited by john winfield, 24 March 2023 - 18:54.

#17 alansart

alansart

• 4,420 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 18:59

I was there as a 15 year old with a trusty Instamatic :)

https://www.flickr.c...57626735179614/