Photo

Where are they now? On the web!

• Please log in to reply
921 replies to this topic

#801 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 17:52

@Richard: Would you be so kind and check your source for the birth details you give for Al Putnam (06 May 1910 Tulare, California)?

MotorsportMemorial & ChampCarStats say that his full name was Adelbert William Putnam and he was born in 1907 or 1908 in Salt Lake City, Utah.

FindAGrave shows a tombstone

45799056_126212547414.jpg

with the inscription Putnam Adelbert “Al” 1908 1946.

And I found two sources – this and that – which let me believe that Al Putnam was in fact born in Salt Lake City on 09 October 1908. (You find this specific date in the first link - it needs a bit of scrolling.)

Advertisement

#802 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 23 June 2015 - 19:52

I checked where the original information came from and it appears the source has found something that fits, but it isn't fully backed up by another source that it is THE Al Putnam. So, I'm happy to change the record accordingly.

#803 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 866 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 01:11

Richard  ,

I don't want to jinx him but are we about to gain another centarian  race driver  this month? 

Paul

#804 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 13 August 2015 - 20:07

Yep, all being well, Frank Burany will be 100 on the 16th August, 3 days time.

By the way, although latest updates will be coming up soon - a special extra - an interview with Kenny Brack on the site - http://www.oldracing...ew/Kenny-Brack/

#805 63Corvette

63Corvette

• 358 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 18:03

I think your "Old Racing Driver" website is fantastic. However I am somewhat surprised that Indy driver John Martin (1971 thru 1975 is not included, and astounded that Parnelli Jones is not included when Roger Ward and AJ Foyt are????

#806 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,897 posts

Posted 16 August 2015 - 18:22

They're both there, Garrett - Parnelli with all the other Joneses, including PJ, and Martin in the 'M' section. :)

#807 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 00:36

Gone Froilán, AFAIK now the oldest Argentine motorsport celebrity alive is Jorge Cupeiro, known as the driver of the Chevitú in Turismo Carretera, in a team backed by the own Froilán González, on the start of the aggiornamiento of the Turismo Carretera pack at mid-sixties. Cupeiro will have 78 in October.

And now Carlos Reutemann and Juan María Traverso share the responsibility to be the greatest Argentine living motorsport celebrities. (Traverso drove Intl F2 in 1979, and won several titles in Argentine touring cars).

Edited by Mekola, 18 August 2015 - 00:39.

#808 Mekola

Mekola

• 2,647 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 00:45

2013 Updates
Allmendinger, Battistini, Beatriz, Bjork, Briscoe, Caroll, Camathias, Campos, D Clarke, de Oliviera, N Fry, Gabbiani, Gosselin, Gounon, Goudy, Gommendy, M Halliday, Hoshino, Krumm, Karthekiyan, Lowe, Lancieri, Leinders, Morbidelli, Menu, Nakano, O'Connell, Nurminen, Perera, Pastorelli, Piccini, Plankenhorn, Salles, Sutil, Tuero, Tung, van Hooydonk, Van der Poele, Van Hool, Wirdehim, A Wirth, R Wilson, A Wallace

2015 Update on Esteban Tuero: He still races in Class 3 of Turismo Nacional, and last Sunday won the race at Termas de Río Hondo!

#809 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 21:10

http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

Latest updates to WATN:

2015/2016 WATN

de Silvestro, Ericsson, Nasr, Raikkonen, M Smith (team boss), A Suzuki, Schwager, Trulli

General WATN

Apicella, K Brack, Cecotto, Head, PL Martini, E Miller (1895-1965), Moreno, D Richards, I Scheckter, Vetrock, J Villeneuve (jr), T Webb, Yamamoto

Died

J Bianchi, de Klerk, T Jones, Lacaze, Ligier, Pavanello , Sutcliffe, Thompson, Wilson

New Information

Bellamy - birthplace

W Crawford - full birthdate, change of birthplace and WATN

Newman - FULL birth and death details and WATN

Changed Information

J Boyd - deathdate change

P Burgess - birth details changed and WATN

Debenedetti, de Tommaso - change of birth date

Luptow, Nardozi, Pavanello, Quinn, Serblin, Scroggin, Tedeschi, van Conett, Van Gorder, Vance, J White - change of birthplace

Putnam - change of birthdetails

Spreafico - changed to correct man, Fernando and added birth details

G Montanari, Tedeschi- change of birth year

Other

Amended GP totals by 6.

Kenny Brack interview - http://www.oldracing...ew/Kenny-Brack/

Roberto Moreno interview - http://www.oldracing...Roberto-Moreno/

Thanks

Reinhard (Rewind) - Putnam

Kevin O'Grady - Jones

Kenny Brack

Roberto Moreno

Adriano Brunelli - Pavanello, deBenedetti, de Tommaso, Serblin, Tedeschi, Nardozi, G Montanari

Nanni Dietrich - Pavanello

Ralph Bellamy

Sam Smith - Apicella

Csaba Varga - Boyd

Paul Burgess

#810 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 866 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 02:17

Hello Richard ,

I noticed in the Mentioned in Passing thread  the Autoweek  obituary article for Dick Guldstrand   noted he went to Indy in 1966 but didn't qualify.

I looked  and noticed he isn't among those listed as Indy 500 driver DNQs and wondered  if he was there  or not .  Now would be a great time to resolve the matter so in the future can be avoided.

Paul

#811 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 05:25

Entry was declined so he never got as far as attempting to qualify.
I responded to that line in the Autoweek report with a raised eyebrow and a tut.

#812 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,782 posts

Posted 06 September 2015 - 09:52

I guess he went to Indy and failed to qualify like 300,000 other spectators... No entry was ever reported, as far as I know.

#813 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,373 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 17:58

I guess he went to Indy and failed to qualify like 300,000 other spectators... No entry was ever reported, as far as I know.

Don't you think that's a tad harsh toward Mr. Guldstrand? I don't see any evidence that Mr. Guldstrand conflated his accomplishment or went around making false claims. Again, it's simply down to the editors at Autoweek not digging deep enough to find accurate information about those who entered or those whose entries were denied at Indianapolis, let alone those who didn't practice or qualify. With the vast majority of sites and publications lumping everyone into "DNQ", the Autoweek editors don't deserve excoriation either. We know what a mess it is to have attempted to sort out who exactly got on track and who didn't. Simply pointing them to more accurate info would be the best action taken.

Edited by Jim Thurman, 08 September 2015 - 18:39.

#814 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,782 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 17:33

Yes, you're right, on reflection I can see that the comment was a bit harsh, so apologies are due to the recently deceased and his admirers. :blush:

But gee, Jim, have you been sleeping in the library, again? I had to look up two words in your reply; hasn't happened since Colonel Capps left this BB! :D

#815 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,373 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 16:16

But gee, Jim, have you been sleeping in the library, again? I had to look up two words in your reply; hasn't happened since Colonel Capps left this BB! :D

Michael, my father taught English for a bit, so perhaps that is some explanation (though it makes my occasional slips all the more embarrassing). Add in that I was sick a lot as a child and would sometimes simply look through a dictionary. When I was 11, a tester from the Los Angeles Public Schools declared I had a college age vocabulary and was impressed and stunned that I was able to define words I wasn't familiar with by logically analyzing their roots.

And it was all downhill for me from that point on :lol:

#816 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,782 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 13:30

I can sympathize with that. I was once considered a potential genius, too, when I was very young. The potential is still there, only the future's long gone... :well:

#817 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,177 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 15:24

I can sympathize with that. I was once considered a potential genius, too, when I was very young. The potential is still there, only the future's long gone... :well:

86370fabaa09bf8e0155cea9f4a3c791.jpg

Cheer up, Michael! I'm just embarking on the second stage of the History degree I should have done forty years ago ...

#818 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,782 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 15:36

Richard, you're not telling us you're THAT old, are you? :eek:  ;)

#819 RStock

RStock

• 2,275 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 16:17

Just think how much easier it would have been 40 years ago, so much more history to learn now.

And I was always told potential means you haven't done it yet.

Advertisement

#820 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 517 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 10:42

Is is possible to ahve the address or the email of Derek Bell, please?

#821 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 13:32

I'm not really keen on giving out addresses so Ill refer you to his website http://www.derekbell.com/contact

#822 GMiranda

GMiranda

• 517 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 13:36

OK I undertstand, I know the website, I'll try to contcat through it again

#823 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 26 October 2015 - 21:00

Latest updates to http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

2016 Updates

Bottas, K Busch, Button, Clauson, Ganassi, Garcia, Gavin, Grosjean, Hinchcliffe, Hulkenberg, Hunter-Reay, Konrad, Maldonado, Massa, Montoya, Newgarden, Panis, Perez, T Stewart

General WATN Updates

Alguersuari, Bergere, Hancock

Died

D Hunt

New Information

H Hall, E Ray, M Roberts, Tramison, W Turner - FULL death details (change of birth year for Ray)*

Kojima, Merello, Tomaini - FULL Birth details (and WATN for Kojima and Tomaini)

* The new wills and probates  from the US collections on Ancestry has really helped with the Indy guys. Merello's details, by the way, came from his daughter.

Changed Information

Dacco - change of birth year and change of death place

Goode, Rooney - change of birthplace

Stubblefield - change of birtplace and year

Other

Very pleased to announce four more interviews for the site:

Mark Blundell -http://www.oldracing.../Mark-Blundell/

Arie Luyendyk - http://www.oldracing.../Arie-Luyendyk/

Nicolas Minassian -http://www.oldracing...olas-Minassian/

Mike Conway - http://www.oldracing...ew/Mike-Conway/

Fully planning for a lot more next year - maybe as many as 10 if luck and opportunity allow.

Also updated the total GP's by 3.

Thanks

Carl S - Turner

Adriano Brunelli - Dacco

Allen Brown - Stubblefield

and Arie Luyendyk, Mark Blundell, Nic Minassian, Mike Conway and Jamie O'Leary for the interviews.

#824 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 866 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 03:01

Hello Richard ,

My Question is this ,

With you giving the birth/death  dates of W H Turner  have you  finally got all the  1911 race starters  birth/death dates resolved  to the point  you feel confident in them?

If so then Ralph Mulford   just edged out Will Jones at last one left .

Also interesting how few lived  it to the 50th anniversary date as well.

#825 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 05:58

Afraid not, but it's getting there.
Of those who started I still need Bert Adams (likely died c. 1946), Jack Tower

Of the relief drivers I need Frank Goode, Walter Jones, John Coffey, WH Frey (died late 50's), Edward Parker and Robert Evans.

#826 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 18:27

It looks like Bert Adams died in 1943: FindAGrave

#827 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 19:29

I did see that and I think it's him he did put in a claim in March 1943 for sickness benefits off social security so it would tie in.

#828 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 18:39

@Richard: You give 1945 as Chuck Ciprich’s birth year while most sources say 1941.
Obviously there are two men called Charles Ciprich. One was born on 11 October 1945 and one was born on 30 November 1941. Both were residents of New York. But the racing driver seems to be the older one not the younger one.

According to p.3 of this article Chuck Ciprich was born in Laceyville, Pennsylvania, and in 1943 (or 1945 according to his mother’s obituary) he moved to Burdett, New York, with his family.

He is the one who now lives or at least for some time lived in Florida together with his wife Faith (who was born on 7 August 1942).
So I’m afraid you have to change the date and go with the majority.

#829 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 21:10

Fair enough, Reinhard. good research.

#830 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 03 March 2016 - 21:13

WATN has had a complete revamp - or rather the main page; most of the individual pages are the same. The link remains the same: http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

The search function has been improved so you can search for anyone across all six categories. There's direct links now to the interviews and the site has the most recent updates, photos and deaths. I will still update here as there will be many ongoing updates (as you can see  by the most recent updates I'm trying to go through alphabetically some profiles that are lacking in information). but you can also check as I go along for those you really want to!

A lot of the waffle before has gone and the other thing you will note is that you can't see the full details for each person. This is for a number of reasons;

1) making it more phone and user-friendly 2) trying to stop people copying information as easily as they could've done and 3) Allen and I can then see which people are being clicked on so it helps us direct any future plans accordingly (interviews/photos etc).

Any queries, you know where I am.

In the meantime, here's the most recent updates.

2016 WATN

Aguas, Aleshin, Angelelli, Antinucci, B Bell, T Bell, Baguette, Bjork, J Booth, Briscoe, Bleekemolen, Campos, Carroll, Chilton, Clauson, Collard, Conway, Chester, Cuquerella, Dalziel, C Daly, Dean, de Oliviera, Ekblom, S Fisher, Fisichella, C Fittipaldi, AJ Foyt, Gavin, Gommendy, Goosens, Glock, Giammaria, Heidfeld, Henzler, Herta, D Halliday, M Halliday, Hawksworth, Jakes, Jonsson, Karam, Kobayashi, Karthikeyan, M Lauda, Lamy, Legge, JM Lopez, G Lopez, Lowndes, Lotterer, Luhr, J Magnussen, K Magnissen, Morand, Minassian, McDowell, Maldonado, Melgrati, M Marshall, Nakano, Pruett, Paffett, Plowman, Rinland, A Rossi, Salo, Sarrazin, Steiner, B Senna, Sato, G Smith, Stevens, Tarquini, W Taylor, Tung, Valiante, Verdonck, Vergne, van der Garde, Webber, A Wirth, Markus WInkelhock, Yeley, Wurz, Yoong, Zonta

General WATN

Domenciali, Ellingboe, D Gurney, Lynch, Murphey, Modena, McGrath, Rydell, E Russo, R Schumacher, Streibig, M Williams, Wolf

New

M Brabham, Jolyon Palmer, Pigot, A Rossi, Vasseur, Wehrlein

Died

Benson, de Filippis, Harkey, McKee, MacDowel, Westbury

New Information

Deacon - FULL birth and death details

McInerney and Wagenhauser - full birthdates

Metzler, North and Tavoni - FULL birthdates and WATN

Changed Information

Drinan & Howie - change of birthplace and birthdate

R Hamilton - change of birthplace (and WATN)

Muir & G Rodriguez - change of birthyear

Other

The latest interview on the site is of Brad Murphey - http://www.oldracing...w/Brad-Murphey/

GP totals for 2015 updated

Thanks

Brad Murphey

Peter Higham (G Rodriguez)

Herb Anastor

RC Howie (Howie)

#831 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 16:27

Congrats on the revamp of WATN. :up:

I have two questions about the changed info:

Are you sure about Bob Muir? He raced as early as 1968 (maybe even before that) which means he would have been quite young if he was born in 1949. I have 1939 as his birthyear.

Has Peter Higham revealed his source for Gonzálo Rodríguez’ birthyear? I think I never saw anything else but 1972.

#832 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 17:07

Hi Reinhard,
Bob Muir comes from his own Facebook page whereas Gonzalo Rodriguez's data comes from the tribute page run by his friends and family.

#833 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 10:48

Thank you, Richard!

But I'm not convinced regarding Bob Muir.

If you look at the photo on your website (which is dated from 1973), does he look like a 23-year-old?

#834 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 11:45

One would say not but then look at the picture of the late Alan Henry with Lauda and Reggazoni. With the greatest respect to AH does that look like a 28 year old?
gut feel? Bob's got it wrong on Facebook but his is the only definitive source I've found re age or birth date thus far so for now, I'll err on his own inputted age but I won't be surprised to change it later.

#835 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 866 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:27

Richard  

I see over on another forum an obit from a funeral home for  Robert "Bobby " Johns from a funeral home in fla   saying he died  March 7th suddenly.

Another prime example of a driver who drove most anything he wanted and did fairly well generally.

#836 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 06:57

Thank you, I'd not seen that.
Sad news especially as he was another enthusiast of the sport and often at historic meetings.

#837 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,829 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 21:52

Alpine and Renault designer Marcel Hubert died last Saturday (March 5th) at the age of 92 in Dieppe.
Death notice

#838 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 08:42

Thank you, Richard!

But I'm not convinced regarding Bob Muir.

If you look at the photo on your website (which is dated from 1973), does he look like a 23-year-old?

I just watched a video on youtube from Surfers in 1980 and it describes Bob Muir as being 40 years old.

#839 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,362 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 09:42

In 1973, Muir gave his year of birth as 1942:

http://www.myf5000.c...s_bob_muir.html

I find it hard to believe he was winning the New South Wales sports car championship at the age of 19 and running his own garage in Burwood at the age of 17.  1942 is more plausible than 1939, but 1949 is more plausible still.

Advertisement

#840 GMACKIE

GMACKIE

• 7,235 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:01

Bob Muir and I drove F. Vees in the late '60s. We were about the same age, from memory, give or take a year or so. I was born in 1941.

#841 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 10:08

I raced with a couple of blokes that were older than me when I started but eventually they became younger than me.

I think Bob Muir might have been born in 1939. In the 1972 Australian motoring yearbook he is listed as being 33 years old.

#842 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 14 March 2016 - 12:17

I'll change it back but I admire his blatant age fudging. Thanks all.

#843 Catalina Park

Catalina Park

• 6,444 posts

Posted 15 March 2016 - 07:36

I'm searching newspapers to see if I can find a record of his birth. 

I have a feeling that he knocked a few years off when he went to Europe in the early 70s. I might find something in the RCNs.

#844 bobrollinghoff

bobrollinghoff

• 11 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 03:03

I remember Bob and Judy Muir raced in the same sports car races as him, I think 1939 would be very close.

Bob

#845 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 16:27

Not often I would say thank God Black Jack is dead, but I'm glad he didn't see this...

Gary Brabham guilty of child sex offences

#846 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,177 posts

Posted 25 March 2016 - 17:49

Not often I would say thank God Black Jack is dead, but I'm glad he didn't see this...

Gary Brabham guilty of child sex offences

Let's just leave it there, I think.

Anyone who wishes to discuss it further should take it to Paddock Club. (Please note that I have already removed a thread on this subject.)

#847 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 21:45

Latest updates to http://www.oldracing...m/drivers/watn/

2016 Updates

Ayari, Belloc, Beatriz, Battistini, A Beltoise, G Berton, Bachelart, J Booth, Bremer, R Byrne, Chandhok, D Clarke, G Chaves, J Camathias, Coletti, Caffi, Colciago, Carpentier, Di Resta, J Davison, de Vilotta, del Castello, del Monte, Enge, Filippi, A Ferte, Figge, Formato, Gosselin, Gache, Gentry, M & J Gene, Goeters, Hildebrand, Hynes, Hezemans, S Hattori, Iida, Kubica, Kovalainen, Kasemets, Kvyat, Lanier, Leinders, Larini, Lohr, Luccini, Maldonado, Mann, Mazzacane, Menu, Monfardini, Merhi, Matsuura, J Muller, Newey, Necchi, O'Connell, Oestreich, Piquet Jr, Pantano, Policand, Rangoni, A Rossi, Rostan, H Richards, Ranger, Rugolo, Reeves, Servia, M Smith (team boss), Ro & Ri. Sperafico, Schwager, K Schrader, Sospiri, Speed, Saavedra, Tagliani, Tarres, Vautier, Vinella, M Verstappen , J Ward, S Wilson

WATN updates

Alderson, Andre, P Andrews, Gerhard Berger, Beechler, Beauman, Baumgartner, Besnard, Brawn, H & B Brutschin, Gary Brabham, Brancateeli, Bolanos, Brundle, M Chandler, Chappell (who has not made himself many friends in the retail world after today's news), Crombie, Dave Coyne, de Ferran, de Castro, Delubac, Doornbos (ooer missus) , R Dean, Firman, Fernandes, Frentzen, Giovanardi, Goudy, Haberfeld, Hitzinger, Helary, Herb, Kite, Krumm, Lloyd, J Lazier, Langhorne, Laffite, Mertens, Matos, Mattiacci, Montagny, Muniz, Oastler, Piper, Prost, Perez-Sala, Purnell, Papis, Regout, J Robinson, J Russell, Stirling, Stokoe, Wiggings, Zakowski, Zimmerman

Died

Burany, Hubert, Johns, Keizan, Meek, Roos, Troberg

New

Haryanto, D Ryan, R Taylor, Vandoorne

New Information

Bar Brandfon, which came from a family member and Rieder, all of the below is from the long, long, long awaited Indiana Death Index - something I wasn't sure I'd ever see the light of day. Surprisingly, I can't find any record of Herbert Jones (or any thing close), so that one's still open for investigation but;

B Adams, Brandfon, Langley - FULL death details

Clemens - FULL birth details, change of death date

Cantlon and Weatherly - FULL birth details

James R Hill - FULL birth and death details (and WATN)

Rieder - birthplace

Changed Information

Boldrini, change of birthdate

Chevanne - not Chevannes - changed accordingly, plus WATN

Herman, Zimmerman - changed birthyear and WATN

Light - change of death day

Muir - changed birthyear back to 1939.

Other

Indy 500 totals updated

Interview with 1971 Indy 500 Rookie of the Year, Denny Zimmerman - http://www.oldracing...enny-Zimmerman/

Thanks

Reinhard (Rewind) - Boldrini, Light, Muir

Mike Arning and the Haas F1 team - R Taylor

Denny Zimmerman

Ray Stokoe

Nicholas Teto - Burany

Susan Bertsch - Herman

#848 Lemnpiper

Lemnpiper

• 866 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 11:27

Such a shame  FranK Burany died a week before the 100th 500  , looks like he visited the track in april so  it musta happened rather quickly .

As  a side note :  I noticed a driver named Neal Carter  ran some Indy car races in 1949.  Is he any any relation to Duane Carter ?  Also is he the last known surviving starter of an Indy Car race from the 1940's   now that  Mr  Burany  has died?

#849 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,741 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 13:52

Such a shame  FranK Burany died a week before the 100th 500  , looks like he visited the track in april so  it musta happened rather quickly .

Not quite that way. Frank had been in declining health and in a nursing home for the last two or three years. However, although he was getting frail, his mind remained sharp, and his son brought him to numerous racing events, albeit in a wheel chair.. It didn't happen quickly but Frank was 100, had a good long run, and simply wore out.

Tom

#850 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,726 posts

Posted 03 June 2016 - 14:50

Re. Carter;
No and yes, I believe so are the answers accordingly. Chuck Weyants first IndyCar race was 1952