Jump to content


Photo

Ultimate test driver thread!


  • Please log in to reply
646 replies to this topic

#551 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:12

John Watson testing a Sauber on August 13 1996 at the A1-Ring

Posted Image

Advertisement

#552 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:13

Williams Renault FW15C (John Watson) Test Paul Ricard 1993

Posted Image

#553 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:13

Danny Ongais (Shadow Cosworth) 1978

Posted Image

#554 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:15

1981 Geoff Brabham (Brabham BT49 Ford Cosworth)

Posted Image

#555 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 12 January 2009 - 15:16

1983 Mauro baldi (Brabham BT52 BMW)

Posted Image

#556 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,183 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 12 January 2009 - 19:47

Some very rare and interesting photos. Keep them coming! :)

#557 Thundersports

Thundersports
  • Member

  • 569 posts
  • Joined: July 06

Posted 13 January 2009 - 14:45

Just a quick note Mike Gascoyne in the Tyrrell was not a test but a Euroboss race at Brands Hatch.

#558 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 13 January 2009 - 14:53

well noted, picture removed

#559 Kiirava

Kiirava
  • New Member

  • 20 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 13 January 2009 - 21:37

Henri Toivonen's name appear on McLaren (1992) but you should note that he died in 1986. There is an unconfirmed note on Wikipedia that he tested a March F1 car on Silverstone 1982.

His younger brother Harri Toivonen is said to have had a contract with Pacific for 1995 but it didn't materialise due to sponsors withdrawing. I don't know wether he tested the car. Harri drove a Benetton in the 2002 Euroboss series, but that's no good I understand.

PS Still waiting for proof of Lehto and Ferrari in 1992.

Advertisement

#560 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 13 January 2009 - 21:42

It appear 1982 and not 1992, maybe you got confused with so may photos.
No info about Lehto 1992 Ferrari test

#561 Kiirava

Kiirava
  • New Member

  • 20 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 14 January 2009 - 08:04

Originally posted by rpereira
It appear 1982 and not 1992, maybe you got confused with so may photos.
No info about Lehto 1992 Ferrari test


Maybe but do you know of a pic with Henri Toivonen in a McLaren or March from 1982?

#562 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:34

I've no info about that test. Please remember that I got all these test info in a website and slowly we are improving it with the help of everybody.

#563 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:09

Jacques Laffite Renault R27 Paul Ricard October 2008

Posted Image

#564 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:16

Benetton Renault B195
Alan McNish
Test Estoril 1995

Posted Image

#565 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 15 January 2009 - 12:38

Heinz Harald Frentzen, Arrows A23, Elvington Airfield 2002


Posted Image

#566 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 16 January 2009 - 15:44

Benetton Ford B190
King Hussein of Jordan

Posted Image
Posted Image

#567 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 16 January 2009 - 15:45

Great photo archive, fantastic, The car is the B189

#568 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:34

2007 Portuguese Journalist Francisco Mota test Renault R27 Paul Ricard

Posted Image

Posted Image

#569 ybee02

ybee02
  • Member

  • 97 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 25 January 2009 - 16:45

I am only 15 so my answers might be a vague.

Hidetoshi Mitsusada - Benetton - 2000 (he did F3000 in 2000, I read from my very first Autosport that in the British F3000 of that year he failed to qualify, along with FERNANDO ALONSO!)

Jordi Gene - Bravo - 1993 (I believe he might have done some testing miles, he might have also attended the South African Grand Prix of that year with the team)

Dan Wheldon - BAR - 2005 (did he ever do that test for BAR/Honda?)

Matteo Bobbi - Minardi - 2003 (he took part in the Friday Session of the San Marino Grand Prix of that year at least)

Andy Soueck - Toyota - 2005 (I believe he was the Spanish F3 title to test the Toyota F1 Car in 2005 or maybe 2006)

Bryan Herta - Minardi - 2002 (believe he took part in the F1x2 event)

Did Greg Moore ever test an F1 car. before his fatal accident?

P.S Did the King of Jordan and the King of Greece really drive an F1 car.

#570 HistoryFan

HistoryFan
  • Member

  • 6,735 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 25 January 2009 - 17:32

No Moore never tested an F1 car. He was speaking with Sauber and McLaren several times I think, but there were no tests.

#571 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 27 January 2009 - 13:47

Toyota TF105
Andy Soucek
Test Paul Ricard 30-06-2006

Posted Image
Posted Image

#572 mpep82

mpep82
  • Member

  • 43 posts
  • Joined: November 06

Posted 27 January 2009 - 13:55

Minardi Cosworth PS03
Matteo Bobbi
Imola 2003 (Friday)

Posted Image
Posted Image

#573 HistoryFan

HistoryFan
  • Member

  • 6,735 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 28 January 2009 - 20:14

Great pictures! Thanks!

#574 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 04 February 2009 - 16:44

?? (Camel Team Lotus 100T Honda) 1988 test in 3 February 2007, Twin Ring Motegi, Japan

Posted Image

#575 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 04 February 2009 - 17:13

Brundle?

#576 bigears

bigears
  • Member

  • 911 posts
  • Joined: January 04

Posted 04 February 2009 - 19:16

Lotus gave him (Johnny Dumfries) Formula One tests at Donington and at the Nurburgring, Brabham gave him a test and so did McLaren as the prize for winning the F3 championship.

"Ferrari contacted me too, and by the beginning of 1985 it was becoming clear to me that I wasn't going to get a Formula One drive. So I signed up a testing contract with Ferrari and I thought it was the best thing for me to do...though I know now that it wasn't!

I did seven or eight days testing at Fiorano and it was intended that I'd do all the 4-cylinder turbo project, but then the rules were changed, the project was shelved, and Ferrari didn't require my services any more."


Motoring News 16th September 1987.

#577 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 09 February 2009 - 20:11

Howden Ganley testing the Ensign at Paul Ricard during the winter of 1973/4...

Posted Image

#578 ghinzani

ghinzani
  • Member

  • 2,002 posts
  • Joined: October 01

Posted 09 February 2009 - 22:49

Nice driving shoes!

#579 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,183 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 10 February 2009 - 19:42

Originally posted by Twin Window
Howden Ganley testing the Ensign at Paul Ricard during the winter of 1973/4...

Posted Image


Thanks for posting the pic, Twinny. I wonder whether Howden was in the frame for an Ensign drive for '74, or were they just utilising his experience?

Advertisement

#580 ybee02

ybee02
  • Member

  • 97 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 13 February 2009 - 22:36

Tests F1 1967
By Jimmy Piget
Last update: January 5th 2006
published on www.gdecarli.it with kind permission

Team place date driver car best time
Brabham RO ??? ??? Jack Brabham Brabham-Repco ???
Cooper Cars Monza c. 20 May 1967 Frank Gardner Cooper-Maserati [bt not available]
??? ??? (1967) Alan Rees Cooper-Maserati ???
Scuderia Ferrari Modena December ( ?) 1966 Jim Palmer Ferrari 246T [bt not available]
Monza December 1966 Chris Amon Ferrari 312 [bt not available]
Zandvoort c. 20 April 1967 Lorenzo Bandini Ferrari 312 1'26.2"
Monza 3 August 1967 Chris Amon Ferrari 312 1’31.7"
??? ??? Jonathan Williams Ferrari 312 ???
Vallelunga November 1967 Andrea De Adamich Ferrari 312 1'17.7"
Owen RO ??? ??? Jackie Stewart BRM H16 ???
Kyalami 27 Feb / 1 Mar 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 1'28.0"
Monza c. 20 May 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 1'33.0"
Brno (demonstration) 3 September 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 4'44.8"
Team Lotus Snetterton 23 May 1967 Graham Hill Lotus 49 Cosworth [bt not available]
??? ??? Mike Costin Lotus 49 Cosworth ???
AAR Goodwood December 1966 Dan Gurney Eagle V12 1'16.8"
Goodwood c. 10 June 1967 Bruce McLaren Eagle V12 [bt not available]
McLaren Brands Hatch short 6 March 1967 Bruce McLaren McLaren M4A BRM 2.1 50.4"
Honda Suzuka December 1966 John Surtees Honda [bt not available]
??? ??? Ronnie Bucknum ( ???) Honda ???
Suzuka c. 20 February 1967 John Surtees Honda [bt not available]
??? ??? Chris Irwin ( ???) Honda ???
DWRE Silverstone 14 August 1967 Bob Anderson Brabham-Climax [fatal crash] [bt not available]
Pearce Brands Hatch April 1967 Chris Lawrence Pearce-Martin V8 [bt not available]
Charles Lucas ??? ??? Piers Courage Lotus-Martin V8 ???
??? ??? Charles Lucas ( ???) Lotus-Martin V8 ???
Snetterton April 1967 Roy Pike Lotus-Martin V8 [bt not available]
***
Rumours & intentions
Ferrari F1 Günther Klass
McLaren F1 Skip Scott (Autosport information, denied)
Lola BMW 2.0 & F2 Dieter Quester (reserve)

Courtesy of http://www.gdecarli.it/jimmypiget.htm

#581 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,183 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 14 February 2009 - 11:47

Originally posted by ybee02
Tests F1 1967
By Jimmy Piget
Last update: January 5th 2006
published on www.gdecarli.it with kind permission

Team place date driver car best time
Brabham RO ??? ??? Jack Brabham Brabham-Repco ???
Cooper Cars Monza c. 20 May 1967 Frank Gardner Cooper-Maserati [bt not available]
??? ??? (1967) Alan Rees Cooper-Maserati ???
Scuderia Ferrari Modena December ( ?) 1966 Jim Palmer Ferrari 246T [bt not available]
Monza December 1966 Chris Amon Ferrari 312 [bt not available]
Zandvoort c. 20 April 1967 Lorenzo Bandini Ferrari 312 1'26.2"
Monza 3 August 1967 Chris Amon Ferrari 312 1’31.7"
??? ??? Jonathan Williams Ferrari 312 ???
Vallelunga November 1967 Andrea De Adamich Ferrari 312 1'17.7"
Owen RO ??? ??? Jackie Stewart BRM H16 ???
Kyalami 27 Feb / 1 Mar 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 1'28.0"
Monza c. 20 May 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 1'33.0"
Brno (demonstration) 3 September 1967 Mike Spence BRM H16 4'44.8"
Team Lotus Snetterton 23 May 1967 Graham Hill Lotus 49 Cosworth [bt not available]
??? ??? Mike Costin Lotus 49 Cosworth ???
AAR Goodwood December 1966 Dan Gurney Eagle V12 1'16.8"
Goodwood c. 10 June 1967 Bruce McLaren Eagle V12 [bt not available]
McLaren Brands Hatch short 6 March 1967 Bruce McLaren McLaren M4A BRM 2.1 50.4"
Honda Suzuka December 1966 John Surtees Honda [bt not available]
??? ??? Ronnie Bucknum ( ???) Honda ???
Suzuka c. 20 February 1967 John Surtees Honda [bt not available]
??? ??? Chris Irwin ( ???) Honda ???
DWRE Silverstone 14 August 1967 Bob Anderson Brabham-Climax [fatal crash] [bt not available]
Pearce Brands Hatch April 1967 Chris Lawrence Pearce-Martin V8 [bt not available]
Charles Lucas ??? ??? Piers Courage Lotus-Martin V8 ???
??? ??? Charles Lucas ( ???) Lotus-Martin V8 ???
Snetterton April 1967 Roy Pike Lotus-Martin V8 [bt not available]
***
Rumours & intentions
Ferrari F1 Günther Klass
McLaren F1 Skip Scott (Autosport information, denied)
Lola BMW 2.0 & F2 Dieter Quester (reserve)

Courtesy of http://www.gdecarli.it/jimmypiget.htm



That is a very interesting list. Presumably this is a list of all the F1 tests which took place in 1967? If so, it shows that testing schedules were a little more haphazard in those days!

#582 mkessens

mkessens
  • New Member

  • 26 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 18 February 2009 - 15:25

Originally posted by mkessens
Hi,

I'm looking for some info concerning the tests of Verstappen in 1993

Does anybody know the amount of laps and the fastest laptime in the Footwork at Estoril 1993?

Does anybody know the date, amount of test days and laps, the fastest laptime of the test in the McLaren at Silverstone 1993?

Thanks!

Mkessens


Hi There!

Does anyone have the answer of the question above? Thanks in advance!

Regards,

Marcel

#583 mkessens

mkessens
  • New Member

  • 26 posts
  • Joined: September 06

Posted 18 February 2009 - 15:30

Hi!
Does anyone have some information concerning Huub Rothengatter whom tested the Tyrrell in 1987/1988???

Thanks!

Regards,

Marcel

#584 ybee02

ybee02
  • Member

  • 97 posts
  • Joined: October 06

Posted 19 February 2009 - 20:05

Originally posted by rpereira
REVISED Test Drivers
Formula One Test Drivers Archive

This is an attempt at archiving all instances of a driver testing a contemporary Formula One car. It includes official test drivers, Friday test drivers, one-off test drivers, and so on. It does not include instances of a regular driver testing during the off-season. Descriptions of the tests will appear in the future. Please post any missing testers in the Test Drivers thread in GF1’s Nostalgia Forum

Thanks in particular to the members of TBK/TBK Light for their assistance in posting pictures of many of the tests. Credit also to 8W’s test driver archive.


Tests That Never Happened
Andrea Montermini (Lola, 1997 - announced as test driver, but never drove the car)
Jacky van de Ende (Stewart, 1997 - awarded test, but never drove the car)

Oddities - Tests But Official Entries

- Bernie Ecclestone entered the 1958 Monaco and British Grand Prix in a private Connaught

- Stirling Moss entered the 1960 Monaco Grand Prix for Scarab for testing in practice after being invited by team owner Lance Reventlow

- Mike Hawthorn entered the 1956 Belgian Grand Prix for Maserati for testing in practice


Source:
http://cfm.globalf1.net//?page_id=100

and updated by Ricardo Pereira (rpereira)


Add Danica Patrick to that, she was meant to test the Honda, but then the problems hit.

#585 poopf1team

poopf1team
  • Member

  • 50 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 23 February 2009 - 22:08

Originally posted by rpereira
2007 Portuguese Journalist Francisco Mota test Renault R27 Paul Ricard

Posted Image

Posted Image


It isn't an R27 but a Prost AP04 with Renault colors.

#586 Kiirava

Kiirava
  • New Member

  • 20 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 28 February 2009 - 14:07

Would anyone have a pic of Mika Hakkinen testing the MP4/8 in 1993...........and I mean testing not racing!

#587 Frans

Frans
  • Member

  • 8,260 posts
  • Joined: April 01

Posted 13 March 2009 - 08:57

Verstappen's 1sts F1 test in Estoril 1993, some little info:

The karting sensation jumped into the German F3 series in 1993, and after dominating the season suddenly found himself offered an Arrows test at Estoril. Making the most of the opportunity he set some very quick times and looked set for a role as McLaren's test driver for 1994. But right at the last moment Benetton boss Flavio Briatore stepped in and snatched him from beneath Ron Dennis' nose. Then, to ice the fairy cake, Verstappen suddenly found himself thrust from the role of Benetton tester to Benetton racer when JJ Lehto injured his neck in a pre-season testing shunt at Silverstone.


source: http://www.grandprix...drv-verjos.html



Verstappen: more comebacks than Sinatra

Jos Verstappen first tested an F1 car at Estoril back in 1993, when he went very quickly in a Footwork. The Dutchman did enough to impress McLaren team chief Ron Dennis, but just as he was ppoised to sign a test and development role contract with McLaren for 1994 he was snapped up by Flavio Briatore at Renault. Within weeks, with only 50 car races to his credit, he found himself racing when team-mate JJ Lehto injured his neck in a testing accident.


source: http://www.formula1..../2003/3/96.html

At the end of the year he got an invitation to test a Formula One car for the Arrows team. After Verstappen put in some sensational times at Estoril, he became known as Formula One's hottest 'new boy'. Other Formula One teams also started to get interested in him.


source: http://orangearrows.tripod.com/jv.htm





There should be more out there, especially scanned articles from magazines back in those days. All I still remember of his 1st test in an Arrows in Estoril, was that like EVERYbody wanted him to drive for they're team. The Arrows never went thát fast over the track, he did set the fastest lap of that car right there and then. That must have impressed them pretty much......

OOOOOoooooooooooh well......

#588 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 18 March 2009 - 20:22

Christian Danner (Renault R26) May 2007, Nurburgring

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#589 fines

fines
  • Member

  • 9,647 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 18 March 2009 - 20:47

To think, that they spend hours after hours in the wind tunnel, just to make the cars uglier... :(

#590 Nigel Beresford

Nigel Beresford
  • Member

  • 812 posts
  • Joined: February 09

Posted 19 March 2009 - 09:24

Originally posted by rpereira
REVISED Test Drivers
Formula One Test Drivers Archive

This is an attempt at archiving all instances of a driver testing a contemporary Formula One car. It includes official test drivers, Friday test drivers, one-off test drivers, and so on. It does not include instances of a regular driver testing during the off-season. Descriptions of the tests will appear in the future. Please post any missing testers in the Test Drivers thread in GF1’s Nostalgia Forum


Tyrrell
Chico Serra (1983)
Emmanuel Collard (1996)
Eric van de Poele (1993)
Gabriele Tarquini (1995)
Huub Rothengatter (198?)
Jackie Stewart (1975, 1978)
Jean-Christophe Boullion (1998)
Kelvin Burt (1993)
Kris Nissen (1980)
Mike Gascoyne (1998)
Mike Thackwell (1980)
Patrick Lemarié (1998-1999)
Piercarlo Ghinzani (1983)
Stefan Johansson (1983)
Tom Kristensen (1998)
Toranosuke Takagi (1997)


Source:
http://cfm.globalf1.net//?page_id=100

and updated by Ricardo Pereira (rpereira)


FYI Manu Collard first tested for Tyrrell at Jerez in early [/B]1995[/B] as part of a "shoot out" for the second seat, alongside Salo and Tarquini. He rather spoiled his chances by coming in to sight in the last corner on the gravel on his first lap.

Note too that Pedro Lamy tested for Tyrrell at the pre season test in Estoril that year.

Thanks

Nigel

#591 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 25 March 2009 - 19:34

1983 Alain Prost (Renault) test Rio Janeiro January 1983

Posted Image

#592 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 25 March 2009 - 19:34

1983 Eddie Cheever (Renault RE30) Jan 1983 Rio test

Posted Image

#593 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 25 March 2009 - 19:35

1983 Hector Rebaque (Brabham BT52 BMW) Brands Hatch

Posted Image

#594 rpereira

rpereira
  • Member

  • 184 posts
  • Joined: December 08

Posted 25 March 2009 - 22:37

that's true

#595 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 11 April 2009 - 22:26

Is this late-1972 Kyalami photo of any interest?

Posted Image

I thought it worthy of inclusion here as a) it's John Surtees driving, some two years after he'd retired and b) it's one of the very first runs of the Surtees TS16, which of course only ever appeared during 1973 GPs in either blue & white or all-white livery.

:)

#596 ensign14

ensign14
  • Member

  • 49,588 posts
  • Joined: December 01

Posted 11 April 2009 - 22:48

He had had a one-off race at Monza in '72, so retirement was not absolute...no idea if that was meant to be a formal farewell appearance though.

For the sake of completeness, at a Renault speed roadshow in Dubai this past week rallyist Mohammed Ben Sulayem had a go in an R28 in a drag-race...and stuffed it.

#597 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 11 April 2009 - 23:08

Originally posted by ensign14

He had had a one-off race at Monza in '72...

Good point; I'd completely forgotten about that.

However seeing the original Team Surtees red & white livery being used in testing - the majority of the race cars having been blue & white for the previous two seasons (the Schenken & de Adamich entries being the obvious exceptions) made me think of the not-quite-so-new concept of turning-out a McLaren in orange, or a Williams in dark blue, during the winter...

#598 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,183 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:41

Originally posted by rpereira
1983 Alain Prost (Renault) test Rio Janeiro January 1983

Posted Image


I wish that they had retained the (almost) all-yellow livery.

Thanks for posting the pics. :)

#599 Derek Lees

Derek Lees
  • New Member

  • 2 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 15 April 2009 - 23:08

Originally posted by COUGAR508


Thanks for posting the pic, Twinny. I wonder whether Howden was in the frame for an Ensign drive for '74, or were they just utilising his experience?


I was the mechanic in this photo.
Howden Ganley was employed as a test driver to help develop the car due to Ricky von Opel's limited experience at the time. At Paul Ricard where this shot was taken he helped reduce the lap time by over 3 seconds. Great guy to work with.

Derek Lees

Advertisement

#600 COUGAR508

COUGAR508
  • Member

  • 1,183 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 19 April 2009 - 17:11

Originally posted by Derek Lees


I was the mechanic in this photo.
Howden Ganley was employed as a test driver to help develop the car due to Ricky von Opel's limited experience at the time. At Paul Ricard where this shot was taken he helped reduce the lap time by over 3 seconds. Great guy to work with.

Derek Lees



Thanks for the details, Derek! :)