Photo

First Impressions of Jaguar R4

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WebberF1

WebberF1

• 86 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 06:19

OK, some of you have commented on the Toyota TF03 and BAR05 and I am supprised no-one has commented on the Jaguar R4. Can you please give your first impressions.

I am no techie but I do read your posts and try to keep up with some of the interesting F1 related posts within this forum.

My 2 cents worth from a general overview/look at the car from the limited photos I have seen is that, the R4 rear end is still very bulky compared to the opposition. BAR, Toyota and Renault seem to have gone the way of the F2002 and trimmed down the rear end for obvious aero reasons.

It could be a bit of an illusion from the overhead shots (R4) as the flip ups could be making it look bulkier than it really is. Some other shots indicate that perhaps it could be an illusion but I am yet to see a good photo on the rear of the car.

I am interested to hear from you any impressions you may have and perhaps in comparison to the rest of the field or previous Jag's (R2/R3).

Advertisement

#2 MRC

MRC

• 308 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 00:42

It seems they tried to get the exhaust outlets placed very far back. I wonder if this is an effort to get a better interaction with the exhaust and rear wing.

#3 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 12:21

IMO
Jaguar have gone for simple rethink of the R3 for the R4. The R3 was full of problems and Jagaur have had to look inwards to cure the problems, rather than look at what everyone else is doing to update the car. Hence the changes are all quite logical, yet still the question remains whether the gains will be enough to keep up with the fiercely competitive midfield this year.
Aerodynamically the car shows alot of influence from Ben Aganethelou who was previously at Renault and drew the mid season update for the R3. The front wing has a gentle curve and endplates feature small diffusers on the lower lip, even the barge boards use soft curves to tuck under the chassis. The chassis now uses a tandem keel, moving away from last year "tricycle" keel set up. The new ford engien goes form 72 rto 90 gegreees and is very low and uses an airbox that looks as though its been sucked into the engine, as its so small and low. this has allowed the engine cover, head restraints and roll structure to be slimmed dramatically over the R3, the almost vertical rise of this structure and freed up a lot of flow to the rear wing and created a flat sloping deck over the top of the sidepods.
The exhausts use straight extensions to the collectors and these exit quite far back at an angle plus covered by small fairing, but not a chimney, these no doubt work in conjunction with the hot air outlets and winglets pulling the flow in between the rear wheels and accellerating it through the duct formed by the rear wing.
As the rear of the sidepods still use the combined flip uphot air outlets which make the rear look bulky, but underneath the sidepods tuck in very closely to the rear of the car. mechanically the car retains coilover dampers at the rear with a Tee set up third springantiroll bar, a new gearbox is lower to suit the engine and the hydraulics have been tidied up, but otherwise the car is unchanged.

Scarbs...

#4 desmo

desmo
  • Tech Forum Host

• 30,734 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 20:54

Scarbs :up:

Nice synopsis of the R4.

#5 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:16

it seems green, with a bit of white, and definately more swoopy than other years

#6 boost

boost

• 2,199 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:30

Thx scarbs!
Dont care what it looks like as long as it allows webber get points :)

#7 WebberF1

WebberF1

• 86 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 02:57

Thanks for your reply Scarbs. Some interesting observations.

All I can hope now is that the CR5 is all that its hammed up to be. Bring on Albert Park.

#8 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:30

Unfortunately WebberF1, the number of engine changes I saw at Barcelona and the number of images on the Suttons website of the car being trucked back to the pits suggests Cosworth still have along way to go on the reliability front.
Recent history has shown new Cosworth units (at Stewart for example) are unreliable and have alot of their development on track.

Heres some shots of the man himself in the interim car.

Posted Image

Webber 'Fest