One-hit wonders

• Please log in to reply
106 replies to this topic

#101 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 96 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 13:14

J P Jarier:

I remember his performances being somewhat erratic in that he seemed to get comfortable where he was and go to sleep mid season.  I remember a comment in Autosport that a driver (I can't remember who) was performing unexpectedly well, and was "driving like Jarier at contract time". 

I also recall that Jarier suggested that his performances at Tyrell against Pironi proved that he was every bit as good as GV.  I'm not sure there were many takers on that one!

Advertisement

#102 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 15:53

J P Jarier:

I remember his performances being somewhat erratic in that he seemed to get comfortable where he was and go to sleep mid season.  I remember a comment in Autosport that a driver (I can't remember who) was performing unexpectedly well, and was "driving like Jarier at contract time". 

I also recall that Jarier suggested that his performances at Tyrell against Pironi proved that he was every bit as good as GV.  I'm not sure there were many takers on that one!

Not me! Jarier'sperformance tailed off as the 1979 eason progressed. He had a slight upper hand in qualifying for the first half of the season, but towards the end, Pironi was fastest.

The same is the case, if one takes a closer look at the lap charts. After Silverstone, Jarier at best ran in sixth position at Zandvoort and Monza, while Pironi ran third at Zandvoort and Watkins Glen and fifth in Montreal (and sixth in Austria, where Jarier wasn't entered - for some reason which I can't remember, Derek Daly was in Tyrrell number 4 that weekend - perhaps there is a connection to the fast as Jarier at the time of contract renewal here  ;) ).

(Before scheduled pit stops became common practice, I used to make sheets on the potential score of every competitor. That is, everybody that led a race, got awarded nine points, everybody who ran second at best got six, and so on. It gave a clue to evaluate the ultimate speed of a given car/driver combo versus their reliability. In the early turbo years, some drivers scored huge in the unofficial potential points championship - in 1982 Arnoux scored 112 potential points in 16 races, an average of seven points, while team-mate Prost had tomake do with 100 potential points. In comparison the real champion, Keke Rosberg, scored 66 potential points. I still have the sheets for 1970, 1971, 1975, 1979 and 1982 plus the lap charts from 1978, 1980 and 1981. Unfortunately a large part of my library was viped out by floodings some years ago, so the rest is lost...).

#103 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 21,443 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 16:43

... for some reason which I can't remember, Derek Daly was in Tyrrell number 4 that weekend ...

He was in hospital with hepatitis, which caused him also to miss the German GP, where Geoff Lees stood in for him.

#104 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 16:49

He was in hospital with hepatitis, which caused him also to miss the German GP, where Geoff Lees stood in for him.

#105 ensign14

ensign14

• 48,107 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 20:32

And Lees came 7th on his GP debut.  It's a travesty that he wasn't given a proper go. E.g. compare his one-off stint for Lotus in 1982 with Moreno's...

#106 jeffbee

jeffbee

• 96 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 12:46

Spaceframe:  I didn't agree with Jarier's opinion of his own abilities either.  But he was something of an enigma in that, when he was interested, he could be very quick.  Unfortunately, that wasn't often enough.  When he went to Ligier it was reckoned to be a match made in heaven but the novelty soon wore off, on both sides.

Ensign 14:  Can't agree more!! If ever there was a talent that cried out for a decent car and a chance to show what he could do with it, it was Lees.  I saw him at Brands Hatch driving an Ensign in the Aurora series and after being delayed for some reason that I can't remember, he came through the field to finish much higher than anyone could reasonably expect.  The problem was that then, as now, people with talent tended to get overlooked unless they were able to bring a large bag of gold to the team. 

#107 Spaceframe

Spaceframe

• 258 posts

Posted 30 January 2014 - 13:06

Spaceframe:  I didn't agree with Jarier's opinion of his own abilities either.  But he was something of an enigma in that, when he was interested, he could be very quick.  Unfortunately, that wasn't often enough.  When he went to Ligier it was reckoned to be a match made in heaven but the novelty soon wore off, on both sides.

Thanks!

I was pretty sure you didn't think Pironi matched Villeneuve  ;)

But I was uncertain as to whether my previous post (about Jarier more or less holding his own against Pironi in '79) gave room for misunderstadings regarding my opinion on this latter subject, so I thought I'd better make myself clear - and found those old sheets, I had forgotten all about, to see if they supported the tendency from qualifying, that Pironi had the upper hand in the latter parts of the season.  And they certainly did!