The Racing Comments Introduction Thread for New Members

• Please log in to reply
1346 replies to this topic

#251 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 16 April 2004 - 16:37

Originally posted by bira
If you are a new member to this forum and would like to introduce yourself, you're welcome to do it here. (You don't have to, but kindly do not start a new thread for this purpose only).

greetings all

i'm a 29yo motorsports enthusiast from sydney who has finally been able to follow f1 properly since moving to london about two years ago (i'd wake up at 3am for the occasional RWC game but race coverage in oz is crap and inconsistent, so i rarely bothered)

predictably enough, i'm a MW supporter but also have a lot of time for FA and JPM

can barely remember seeing newsclip of Alan Jones taking the WDC in 1980 and have been a williams man ever since; would like to see my man there next year but i think flavio is going to put him in a renault, which is no bad thing

have vivid memories of aussie gp when it was in adelaide - rosberg winning the first one, mansell losing THAT tyre - and might mosey down to melbourne next year

i can't compete with george for experience (who can?) but did have an amazing day at the british gp last year when i wangled williams hospitality, got a pit tour from their "junior account manager" peter phillips - top bloke, btw - and downed a respectable amount of mumms and rothschild red before watching RB's pivotal move on KR occur right in front of us!

anyway, that's the extent of my boasting - look forward to debating the real issues...

Advertisement

#252 Ferrari GO!

Ferrari GO!

• 3 posts

Posted 27 April 2004 - 06:47

Hey everyone! First time posting here, in fact just registered 15 mins ago! (Though I've been reading this forum for a long time)

As you can tell, I'm a HUGE Ferrari fan. Not surprisingly, I'm also very pleased with the way the season has panned out thus far, though I must admit I was stunned by Button's speed last weekend. BAR is up there now, no doubt. Whew, MS maintains perfect record!

Looking forward to reading more of this BB.

#253 SeanValen

SeanValen

• 17,020 posts

Posted 29 April 2004 - 12:02

Originally posted by SecretDestroyer
i got this off another board and thought someone might like it.

How many message board members does it take to change a lightbulb?

1 to change the light bulb and to post that the light bulb has been changed

14 to share similar experiences of changing light bulbs and how the light
bulb could have been changed differently

7 to caution about the dangers of changing light bulbs

1 to move it to the Lighting section

2 to argue then move it to the Electrical section

7 to point out spelling/grammar errors in posts about changing light bulbs

5 to flame the spell checkers

3 to correct spelling/grammar flames

6 to argue over whether it's "lightbulb" or "light bulb" ... another 6 to
condemn those 6 as stupid

2 industry professionals to inform the group that the proper term is "lamp"

15 know-it-alls who claim they were in the industry, and that "light bulb"
is perfectly correct

19 to post that this forum is not about light bulbs and to please take this
discussion to a lightbulb forum

11 to defend the posting to this forum saying that we all use light bulbs
and therefore the posts are relevant to this forum

36 to debate which method of changing light bulbs is superior, where to buy the best light bulbs, what brand of light bulbs work best for this technique and what brands are faulty

7 to post URL's where one can see examples of different light bulbs

4 to post that the URL's were posted incorrectly and then post the corrected URL's

3 to post about links they found from the URL's that are relevant to this
group which makes light bulbs relevant to this group

13 to link all posts to date, quote them in their entirety including all
headers and signatures, and add "Me too"

5 to post to the group that they will no longer post because they cannot
handle the light bulb controversy

4 to say "didn't we go through this already a short time ago?"

13 to say "do a Google search on light bulbs before posting questions about light bulbs"

1 forum lurker to respond to the original post 6 months from now and start
it all over again

:up:

Salutegilles is a legendary poster, I welcome the next legend, SecretDestroyer, you destroy the secrets in f1 and you will leave the F1 paddock rattled like never before.

#254 Palle

Palle

• 142 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 13:07

Hi All

I might as well introduce myself. Im a journalist, Im 35 years old an originally from Denmark, but are living in the UK and has been so since 2000.

The year 2000, was also the year of my first live GP experience at Silverstone. I have since then been to Silverstone in 2001 and 2002. I went to the Austrian and European Grand Prix in 2003. I hardly ever miss a race on TV. I am a big MS and Ferrari fan, I do believe he is the best there has ever been, and ever will be. We are watching history being made in every single race. How cool is that? Having said that I also really like Webber.

In my job as journalist, I was lucky enough to get to interview Mark Webber in 2003 at the European Grand Prix in Germany, where I was a guest of Jagaur Racing. He is a really cool bloke, and I hope he will go on to achieve great things. Funnily enough, I live in the same town as him.

I used to be a subscriber to Autosport and F1 Racing, but has grown tired of both of them. I supposed I dont need them anylonger now that I am an Atlas member. I really like BusinessF1, but its so bloody expensive....

Anyway, I am looking forward to some great debates on this BB..

Yours sincerely
Palle

#255 dallasarius

dallasarius

• 20 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 06:20

Hello all!! :wave:

I just hooked up with this fine outfit and am enjoying the site very much.

I am 30 years old and from Detroit. I enjoy most motorsports though Nascar is way down on the list(to lowbrow). I have had a passing interest in F1 since the early eighties when they actually held a race here every year. Could hear the cars very well from the house. Followed Cart more closely though because it was on TV and F1 really wasn't. It's not nearly as popular as soccer(football) is here in the States and soccer is pretty unpopular.

I have no wild dreams of becoming a professional driver but I do plan on going to a driving school and learning a few things just for the fun of it. Perhaps even get my amauter licence and have a little fun around the area.

Love the international flavor of this site, gives everyone a real good mix of thoughts and ideas.

I don't have a favorite team or driver, but I would like to see them all get the fans who show up at each event a little more involved. It is supposed to fun and thats why everyone shows up!

I plan on going to Indy this year or next but would really like to make a trip to Europe to see some of the classic tracks before their not used anymore.

Well thats about it, I will read you later.

#256 Culture

Culture

• 3 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 12:42

Hello,

I’m new in this club. Are they some formalities that I have to do before beginning posting? Do I have to introduce myself to the other members or can I start now?

Thanks,

Culture

#257 BRNDLL

BRNDLL

• 262 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 13:01

welcome aboard Culture... watch yourself in Racing comments as it is usually "no holds barred"

You will love this place.

bb

#258 993turb

993turb

• 168 posts

Posted 06 May 2004 - 22:34

Well, I'm taking the dive too!

I have also posted a fair amount already, but have never introduced myself.

I must first say that while my posts are generally lighthearted and whimsical, I am thoroughly impressed with and enjoy the depth of knowledge and passion exhibited by other members in the forums.

I am 41 and live in the U.S.

I have been an F1 fan since childhood and was blessed by having a father who allowed me to collect some Schuco F1 cars to play with as a kid. I used to take them apart and put them back together constantly! Also, I would always have them with me(up to about 12...) when a race was on TV.

Anyway, one of my most vivid F1 memories was that I was on a business trip in Austria in late April of '94.
I told my wife we should skip over to San Marino for Imola. She agreed. Just as we were about to make reservations and by track tickets my boss called and said he needed me to return to the U.S. for a project.
To make it short - when I walked in the door late in the evening of May 1, the TV was on ESPN Sports channel and an announcer was saying that Ayrton Senna had been killed in the race - I just dropped my bags and started sobbing like a baby(and I had already heard about Roland).
I will never forget that moment. Senna was/is a hero for me.

I intend to go to IndyF1 as every year, and as another post alluded to earlier - I hope to get to many of the European tracks for the obvious reasons, but also to see them before they are gone!

My best to all and, again, my thanks to the community! :up:

#259 F1

F1

• 1 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 13:27

After about six years of Atlas F1 readership, I've finally made the effort to plunge into the BB. Now all I need is one of those fancy animated things under my user details...

Advertisement

#260 repcobrabham

repcobrabham

• 10,551 posts

Posted 11 May 2004 - 11:55

Originally posted by «F1»
After about six years of Atlas F1 readership, I've finally made the effort to plunge into the BB. Now all I need is one of those fancy animated things under my user details...

hey, good point - could a wise elder please explain the process?

#261 McLarenFormula1

McLarenFormula1

• 159 posts

Posted 12 May 2004 - 21:39

I'm relatively new, I've posted a few time w/o formally introducing myself. Hi!

#262 ill_ninio

ill_ninio

• 72 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 16:08

Hi everyone!

Registered quite a while ago, but didn't do much posting back then. Now I find this board a lot better then some others on the net, so I believe I'll stick around, since I'm already in love with the plain AtlasF1 website! :up:

I live in Belgium, am 17 years old, and going to my first Grand Prix this year (in Belgium of course)
I'm looking forward to meeting other members. (I already know one :clap:)
Also I'm a big MS & Ferrari fan :cool:

see you all later :)

#263 OnTheGas

OnTheGas

• 142 posts

Posted 23 May 2004 - 17:06

I'm 42... live in southern california in the states.

Been a hardcore F1 fan since the mid-70's... I remember admiring Niki Lauda's cool, calculating determination as a kid.

I went to the Long Beach grand prix in the late 70's as a high school kid, (it was called U.S. GP West, or something silly like that). Gotta see Mario Andretti win there in that beautiful black lotus, a very exciting moment for all of us fans there that day.

I've attended motorsport races all my life, and have done a little bit of karting.

Flew out to Indy in 2000 to see the inaugural Indy GP race... F1 is best seen live, I think, as we miss much on TV. Haven't been able to see any other F1 races since due to budget and/or time constraints.

I really like the AtlasF1 magazine, I've been reading it since almost day one. I participate on a BBS on my car club (wrx club stateside at impreza.net), and like to monitor <news://rec.autos.sport.f1.moderated>, and I lurk here sometimes...

#264 Jack Rabbit

Jack Rabbit

• 1,091 posts

Posted 07 June 2004 - 02:03

Howdy, I am a 34 year old male that likes to get up before dawn to watch rich people drive around. Some say I suffer from insanity, I say I enjoy my insanity. Hope to see you on the BB.

#265 ScottL

ScottL

• 188 posts

Posted 12 June 2004 - 03:49

Hey Everyone,

Loving the AtlasF1 scene!

I became a diehard F1 fan in 1996 when the Speed Channel arrived on cable television. Jumped on the McLaren bandwagon and been on it ever since (it's been a rough ride this year :confused:) . Still, I love it all, including Ferrari. In fact, every time I start thinking, "Good God, Michael again?", I remind myself that we'll all look back in wonder on these years and I'll be happy to say, "Wasn't it fantastic?" I've met plenty of people who have said they're bored with F1, but you know what? They tend to be bored with everything. Every organized effort, whether it's a racing league or a doughnut shop, has problems of one sort or another.

The question you have to ask is, "Do I still like the doughnuts?" I do!

Anyway, I've been a motorsports fan since I was a boy in the 60's and 70's. Drag racing, sprints, motocross, superbike, powerboats... but road racing is tops for me. Really enjoyed following CART but the open wheel situation here in the States is sadly messed up. I went to the Indy 500 in 1992 mainly for the party (10 of us in a rented motor home :drunk: ) and enjoyed the scene except for the drunken rednecks lining Georgetown Avenue and the terrible infield view (hey, what did I expect for $10?) I sometimes enjoy watching circle track racing but, ultimately, it just doesn't appeal to me like the twisties.

My first Grand Prix was Indy in 2002... very different experience from the 500. Soaking up the atmosphere, people from all over the world -- and Mika Haakinen winning his last race! It was fantastic. I'd purchased the only McLaren shirt I could find just before the race. After the finish, we crossed under the track to the infield and joined the throng gathered near the overpass. Red prancing pony flags everywhere with a sprinkle of Jordan yellow, Williams blue, and McLaren black. And there he was, right over our heads! Blond hair and silver suit holding both arms up in a V, crowd cheering wildly. Cool.

I'd really like to attend a GP outside of the US someday. I've heard Montreal is a great city and a wonderful time. Also would like to go to Silverstone (my mother is British) and Monaco someday.

I joined the SCCA last year and volunteered as a corner worker at the 2003 June Sprints. Great time! The people who introduced me to flagging were kind and helpful. And seeing the racing up real close is a treat! I hope to visit some of the tracks in the Mid Atlantic soon. Someday, I'll be out there with a car of my own. But that will have to wait for now - too much work to do right now and no place to keep a race car. I will be content to study performance driving, drive the sim now and then, and read AtlasF1!

#266 mantissa

mantissa

• 11 posts

Posted 17 June 2004 - 18:00

Hi

I am a Brit living in America who has been a passionate follower of Formula One since my school days. I worked for a year for John Surtees in the stores in his Edenbridge factory in the days of Mike Hailwood and the wonderfully named Gloria Dollar. I was at Brands Hatch when Jo Siffert died in the celebration of Jackie Stewart. I did see Ronnie Petterson exiting Druids on opposite lock, blue helmet, black and gold Lotus mesmerising car control, and I almost touched Jochen Rindt once :-)

#267 velo

velo

• 555 posts

Posted 18 June 2004 - 17:10

Posted Image

velo

#268 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 19 June 2004 - 07:01

my name is skinny and im a sex addict

#269 simon.l

simon.l

• 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2004 - 17:56

This is one very big forum. Hi, live in England, been an F1 fan for over 20 years. I don't have any one particular favorite but like charges such as JPM, Alonso, JB.

Family and work life mean I do not get to many races but I've been to the following:

SPA - 1995
Silverstone 2000 - Friday practice
Silverstone 2001 - Saturday practice
Silverstone 2003 - All three days ( I won the first race of the Autosport Fantasy F1 competition in 2003, the prize was three days at the British GP as a guest of Fosters in the Paddock club).

Si

#270 ali_M

ali_M

• 1,194 posts

Posted 12 July 2004 - 15:55

I just noted this thread and thought I'd add my intro here.

Compared to what I'm seeing, I'm quite new to F1. I've been following it for just 2 full seasons and now this one. I have deep regrets for not having done so before. Anyway, I'm not fully to blame since I'm Jamaican and F1 isn't a popular sport here. My enthusiasm is treated as odd at best where I'm from.

Anyway, I've been hungry for history and have accumulated a lot of tapes and reading material. Videos include:

A Star called Ayrton Senna
Formula 1 Saga - The four tape collection
The following season reviews - 1996, 1997, 2000, 2001

Reading material include:

Michael Schumacher - Driven to Extremes
F1 Racing subscription
The Internet.

Through F1 decade I've managed to watch the 1993 and most of the 1994 season.

So I have a pretty good handle on what's happened over the last 15 - 20 years in F1 and earlier. I've read a lot on seen videos on Jim Clarke, Fangio, Moss and Stewart.

I'm still looking for more F1 seasons on video.

A great sport it is and still is.

I've been reading a lot about the lack of overtaking and decreased spectacle in the sport. I guess it's a matter of how you look at it. If all you wish to see is overtaking and constant wheel to wheel battles then you'll not be seeing this very often in F1 today. But F1 is a LOT more than just that.

I don't have much time to contribute but I do read the threads quite often and quite enjoy them.

#271 Jodum5

Jodum5

• 1,247 posts

Posted 13 July 2004 - 19:18

After a really long time of bugging Bira (lost password and for some reason couldnt get it sent to me) I finally got a new ID and Im glad to be back contibuting to these forums :up: .

And by the way, it'd be great if we could create our own passwords from the outset (and use hotmail as an email account)

#272 Stephan

Stephan

• 1,148 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:52

Hello everybody,

My name is Stephan Kuijcks. I am a 20 year old student at Tilburg University in Holland. I am a big fan of Formula 1 since 1993. One sunday, March 14 1993, a turning point in my life ;)

I was bored that day, just watching television, when I came across some strange looking racing cars. They were racing prety close, and I managed to catch some of their names. Prost, Senna and Schumacher or something like that, at Kyalami, what a funny name. Hey, that Prost guy goes from third to first, catching that Marlboro & Camel car. Wait, Prost has a Sega logo on his car, with Sonic on it too! Great I thought, with my Sega Megadrive passion in mind, I have to cheer for this guy!

Looking back at this moment, I was too young to fully understand who I saw driving. In the following years I was just beginning to understand what a great thing Formula 1 is.
1993, the year Senna showed he had that little extra, Schumacher winning just his second race, Ferrari being nowhere, what a difference compared to today.

From 1994, I was cheering for Benetton, because of my fellow countryman Jos Verstappen of course. But after I saw Monza 1994 with the passion of the tifosi and the incredible bad luck of Alesi (the same goes for Monza 95), going out of the race with a comfortable lead on home soil, I felt for him and became a fan.

After the retirement of Alesi, I have never been a big fan of a particular driver, although I think Fisichella is the second best driver on the grid and I hope he will get his well deserved topdrive next year.

When I got a little bit older I gained interest for the history of Formula one. I have seen the season reviews from the eighties and the beginning of the nineties. I think formula one has changed, maybe not for the better. After having seen the great battles between Prost, Senna, Piquet and Mansell, I hope those times will come back. Now I feel enriched to have seen Senna and Prost racing. At imola 1994 I was still not fully aware about the achievements of Senna, or the history of death in formula one. But I still remember that I was crying when I saw Ratzenberger's head lifeless in his Simtek and a day later again with the pool of blood underneath Senna... :cry:

Anyway, I have followed the boards and topics at Atlas F1 closely the past year. Going into my summer holiday, I finally decided it was time to join the discussion.

So here I go. Again hello to everybody, it feels great to join you,

Stephan

#273 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 00:40

Hi everybody!
Have been following the BB for several months now behind the curtains. Finally could not resist the temptation though. I haven't used English in dialogical form for quite a time so mistakes are inevitable but I hope I will catch up.
48 years old from Bulgaria. F1 fan since 1988 when I got the opportunity to watch GP live on TV.

#274 catalan

catalan

• 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2004 - 21:44

Hi!

Although I have been reading this BB for a long time, it's today when I have decided to register. I am 24 and I live in Tarragona, near Barcelona at Catalunya.

Please excuse my english level, and I hope my posts become interesting for you all

Regards

#275 pirul

pirul

• 67 posts

Posted 03 August 2004 - 23:28

Hi again. I registered here, and read very often when Atlas was still completely free. Then I stopped visitin to get my news elsewhere...but now I'm back!!

I live in Monterrey Mexico and am 28 years old. Been following F1 since they resumed racing in Mexico in '86.

#276 Pretentious Bob

Pretentious Bob

• 4 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 06:33

Hi everyone I am a big McLaren fan. 2005 is our year, JPM will WDC! :up:

#277 beanoid

beanoid

• 5,247 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 05:22

Pretentious Bob,

I just like your name. Does it refer to your hairdo?

;)

Welcome. Have fun!

#278 nigel red5

nigel red5

• 9,468 posts

Posted 11 August 2004 - 20:53

Originally posted by catalan
Hi!

Although I have been reading this BB for a long time, it's today when I have decided to register. I am 24 and I live in Tarragona, near Barcelona at Catalunya.

Please excuse my english level, and I hope my posts become interesting for you all

Regards

Tarragona... What a lovely part of the world to live in. Wish it was me :cry: You`re very lucky.

Stephan, fantastic story :lol: Loved the part about Kyalami 1993.

welcome all...

#279 Brandstormer

Brandstormer

• 273 posts

Posted 13 August 2004 - 11:07

Hi everyone.

I'm a forty something Aussie ex-racer.

Love F1, always have. Racings been in the family for at least 3 generations. (My grandfather used to race at Brooklands, my mother used to rally, and my father built and raced his own sportscars.) I started watching F1 when I was about 2yo, apparently. Actually remember following it since the late 60's.

Love to see so much passion for F1 displayed publicly and look forward to being a part of it.

Go MW & RB!!!!

Advertisement

#280 FCYTravis

FCYTravis

• 16 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 06:02

My name is Travis, I'm from the San Francisco Bay Area, California and I wear a bunch of different hats at the racetrack depending on which day it is and which series is in town  ;)

I work for a Cooper Tires Formula Ford Zetec Championship team as PR manager and mechanic. When I'm not doing that, I marshal for the San Francisco Region, SCCA.

Been watching road-racing since the early 1990s, and I'm a fan of pretty much anything that turns right - CART, F1, IMSA, SCCA World Challenge, etc. I'm a particular partisan of Champ Cars, however :cool:

I'm a frequent poster on other racing boards, and figured it was time to jump in the deep end here.

The little spare time I have left over, I try to collect enough credits for a BA in journalism and edit my college paper.

#281 kowloon

kowloon

• 5 posts

Posted 30 August 2004 - 15:35

hi!! I am Kowloon.

#282 Amber

Amber

• 21 posts

Posted 31 August 2004 - 12:58

Slow day at the office... Finally decided to register :) And why not, what a race we finally had at Spa :up: :up: :up:

#283 LOTUS78

LOTUS78

• 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2004 - 00:54

New here,but looong time F1 fan. Since the days of Stewart,Lauda,Emmo,and black and gold Lotus cars.Of course,Mario's time at the top of the heap was for me the best time in F1,cool,radical cars,wide varity of engines,shapes and unpredictable results.Used to get up at 4:30am to watch races in the mid eighties,but since the vcr age, I watch all the races at a more reasonale hour.Stll have some of the races from the late eighties and early ninties,which keeps me entertained in the off season.I'll be lurking and commenting from now on,so let the next GP debat begin!!

#284 Roy Overstreet

Roy Overstreet

• 1 posts

Posted 02 October 2004 - 02:36

It's rather lonely being an F1 fan in the US, but I soldier on. I became a fan while living in France, back when Berger and Senna were driving for McLaren. When I came back to the States I lost track, then started watching again in 1999 when I got cable. I've been hooked ever since.

#285 Crossa

Crossa

• 63 posts

Posted 08 October 2004 - 20:11

Hi there Folks,

I decided to have a look at how an old time favourite news source (ie Atlas F1) was doing! I used to check it on a daily basis, at least, until Atlas F1 became a pay-site..;)

Always valued it for accuarate reporting and of course a monthly lol with Mitch Mcann's F1 Insider, that aint around anymore is it? Too bad..

I started following F1 the minute Schuey steered his Ferrari into Jacques' sidepod at Jerez, only to spend the rest of the race sitting there and wondering whether that had been such a good idea. Opinions still differ on that to this day don't they?

I went to two F1 races, Hungaroring (saturday qualy only in 1998 or so) and an entire weekend at the Nurburgring in the same year, great party, loads of Schuey fans, loads of beers :D

Bit worried about the current state of things in F1, too many people too preoccupied protecting their own little point of view I'm afraid, I'd like to see a bit of a shake up, though going to 2.4 's is not the way. I say ban refuelling, go to one set of tyres and get rid of them carbon brakes!;) But chances of seeing that are probably highest in your Nostalgia forum, so I'll be off there then.....

#286 Church_Mice

Church_Mice

• 18 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 19:47

Hello folks...i been reading this board for a few months now and decided to register/post

Montreal/Canada :smoking:

#287 The Boss

The Boss

• 214 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 18:52

evening all, i'd intoduce myself but as you can see my name tells it all ;) - so no need to then :p

im 20 and living in Wrecsam, Gogledd Cymru. Im a Law student just about to finish my degree and im working for a law firm, getting some valuable ass-kicking experience.

i drive a rather tasty Mercedes, which cost me a fortune to fund part of, the rest came through "other" means.

Been an F1 fan for a long time now, been around here a fair bit a few years ago when i had regular access to t'internet, but have since forgot my ID and password and email address then. Now I managed to build a fantastic machine I'm joining to have some fun on a more regular basis, that is, if im not on the drink, wasting my life away in true student fashion.

I'm a fan of, essentially, F1, but appreciate most forms of racing, when it suits me! lol Was lucky to go to the Japanese GP last year as well as a few others, but the Japanese was the highlight.

Looking to go to even more races in my Merc, which i have no doubt could probably do better than the two Mercs racing this season.

No doubt, you lot will have to put up with me at some point, so get used to it! lol

#288 Keffo

Keffo

• 978 posts

Posted 16 October 2004 - 13:30

hello

I'm also new here, my name is Kevin and I'm 16 years old. I'm a big fan of Schumacher and the F1 as a sport, also the history of the F1 interests me. My English isn't that good, but I hope that it goes better en better :)

I live in Zaandam, Netherlands, which is very close to Amsterdam

#289 ADC_28

ADC_28

• 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2004 - 23:23

Hello everyone.

I'm Aidan (alias Aidy alias AD... Which is where the username comes from).

I'm a postgraduate student at Sussex University working in Evolutionary and Adaptive Systems. I have been a passing fan (good pun, eh? Eh? Ok..ok..) of F1 for most of my life but was once much more into bikesport than motorsport of the 4 wheeled persuation.

I will be basing a good deal of my research in the coming years into F1 (probably continuing some of the work done by Peter Bentley whose extremely interesting paper can be found here as a *.pdf file. Most of the teams have technology and systems far in advance than the work Peter did on the matter, but the tight fisted swines tend not to let virtuous, handsome and noble Postgrads get their mucky paws on it.

My first piece of work into F1 can be seen HERE including another *.pdf of the entire thesis if you really are in dire need of aural mogadon.

Anyway, I guess my interest in F1 spans the bridge of both armchair fan (and ABS supporter. That is Anybody But Schumacher) and professional without actually being either.

My hero was and remains Senna and I can still remember watching him on T.V. when I was at an extremely impressionable age (around 10) at Monaco and noticing that whilst Prost looked so smooth as to seem almost slow and Mansell always seemed to be a bit of a liability, Senna just looked fast. In hindsight I believe that year was the year of the infamous crash whilst in the lead. I guess as an impressionable ~10 year old I must have got bored and wandered off to do something else before that happened.

Anyway, I used to post (relatively) regularly on the old AOL F1 board way-back-when (as AidCross) and a chance online encounter with another old member of that community has brought me to darken these doors.

I hope I've got that Senna quote right on my signature...

#290 kamix

kamix

• 1,238 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 13:14

My meeting with Atlas forum in emoticons.

:cry:

:(

:eek:

:love:

:wave:

:kiss:

:drunk:

:clap:

#291 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 6,505 posts

Posted 01 November 2004 - 10:49

I haven't seen this topic when I registered.
I am from Bucharest, Romania and I've been a fan of F1 since 1993-1994....(at that time I was about 12 years old).
I am a Ferrari fan (and proud of it :clap: ).

#292 WilliamsFB01

WilliamsFB01

• 75 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 16:24

Just popping in to say Hi :clap: and how much I hate Rog Dennis :down:

#293 lil_tinsel85

lil_tinsel85

• 2 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 15:37

:stoned: Hi, I'm a college in Ontario Canada and I am looking for some help. I am doing a research paper comparing F1 racing to Stock car racing. I know a bit about stock car, but nothing about F1. If there is anyone out there that can help me, I would be extermly greatful. :)

#294 TigerEyes

TigerEyes

• 67 posts

Posted 11 November 2004 - 13:54

:wave: The Tiger is back & roaring !

:smoking:

#295 rookie

rookie

• 417 posts

Posted 24 November 2004 - 03:55

Hi all,

a quick intro

21 yo male from Australia

huge fan of F1, check news,results etc...daily.

MY F1 HISTORY:

Watched first race on tv in 1990, Australian GP (age 7) , hooked straight away.

First season follwing every GP, 1994

only missed about 5 gp's on tv in 10 years,

Got the DVD's, video's books, mags, etc... anything about F1

Favourite F1 stuff:

Favourite overtaking move?: HAKKINEN v SCHUMACHER SPA 2000

Favourite race?: Canada (always action) & Spa (love the race track)

Favourite Track; Spa

Favourtie waether condition : Drizzle (not wet enough for inters, not dry enough for slicks).....cos you see the cars slide more, the drivers working wheel and throttle...love it.

Cheers

#296 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,407 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 13:17

Hiya!

I'll try to keep my nose and underwear clean. Here's a little rundown on my basic views of things F1:

Last time I had a 'favourite driver' it was Damon Hill. I recognise he was far from 'the best'. I just liked his way. Nowadays I sing the praises of Nick Heidfeld. Some would call it a lost cause. We'll see.

Team wise I'm a McLaren supporter. For no particular reason. Though I'm a big fan of Ron Dennis. I know he can be pretty boring and all that (for some reason some 'fans' don't like to have a full explanation but prefer people speaking in head lines and hence don't like RD).

I am a big believer in 'the great Ferrari conspiracy' of a couple of years ago. Meaning that the FIA bent over backwards to accomodate them (banning beryllium, banning Mc's extra brake, letting Ferrari off the hook in Malaysia). However I likewise think that this has waned and isn't an issue anymore. I also recognise that Michael Schumacher is by far the best driver out there at the moment. You'll never hear me support him, and his race ethics are questionable. But as the complete package he has no rivals.

My least favourite driver is JPM. He's an arrogant bone headed little prick. Imagine my agony in him being at 'my team'. I'll hope that Kimi puts him in his place, or that he somehow transforms into a driver I like. HA! - Fat chance.

I have been to three GP's in my life. All at Spa. 1987, 2001 and 2004. So guess what circuit is my favourite.

I have been to other F1 bulletin boards over time (DF!, F1F and 'the secret board' shhhhhhh). I'll keep up at F1F. There I think I'm known as being nice and level headed :rotfl: I'll try my best to live up to that here.

#297 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 21,070 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 15:27

Originally posted by jcbc3
Hiya!

I'll try to keep my nose and underwear clean. Here's a little rundown on my basic views of things F1:

Last time I had a 'favourite driver' it was Damon Hill. I recognise he was far from 'the best'. I just liked his way. Nowadays I sing the praises of Nick Heidfeld. Some would call it a lost cause. We'll see.

Team wise I'm a McLaren supporter. For no particular reason. Though I'm a big fan of Ron Dennis. I know he can be pretty boring and all that (for some reason some 'fans' don't like to have a full explanation but prefer people speaking in head lines and hence don't like RD).

I am a big believer in 'the great Ferrari conspiracy' of a couple of years ago. Meaning that the FIA bent over backwards to accomodate them (banning beryllium, banning Mc's extra brake, letting Ferrari off the hook in Malaysia). However I likewise think that this has waned and isn't an issue anymore. I also recognise that Michael Schumacher is by far the best driver out there at the moment. You'll never hear me support him, and his race ethics are questionable. But as the complete package he has no rivals.

My least favourite driver is JPM. He's an arrogant bone headed little prick. Imagine my agony in him being at 'my team'. I'll hope that Kimi puts him in his place, or that he somehow transforms into a driver I like. HA! - Fat chance.

I have been to three GP's in my life. All at Spa. 1987, 2001 and 2004. So guess what circuit is my favourite.

I have been to other F1 bulletin boards over time (DF!, F1F and 'the secret board' shhhhhhh). I'll keep up at F1F. There I think I'm known as being nice and level headed :rotfl: I'll try my best to live up to that here.

This poster seem trouble from the get go. Ferrari conspiracy!!??!!! How dare you, I will find pictures of you that you have forgotten exist and post them when you least expect it.

:cool: ;) ;)

#298 jcbc3

jcbc3
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,407 posts

Posted 26 November 2004 - 17:21

Originally posted by KWSN - DSM

This poster seem trouble from the get go. Ferrari conspiracy!!??!!! How dare you, I will find pictures of you that you have forgotten exist and post them when you least expect it.

:cool: ;) ;)

That is a two way street, mon frere. :smoking:

#299 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 21,070 posts

Posted 27 November 2004 - 10:57

Well it had to be said.

Welcome :up:

:cool:

Advertisement

#300 GregAU

GregAU