Photo

1960 Sportscar photo ID..(2)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 06:58

You guys did such a fine job on my original 1960's ID post :up: that I thought you may help on these as well :clap:
They are form the same (copyright free) source...

Photo 6
Posted Image

Photo 7
Posted Image

Photo 8
Posted Image

Photo 9
Posted Image

Photo 10
Posted Image

Obviously the Chaparrals are easy to recognise, but from which year, where and who is driving?
Thanks in advance..
Rob

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 08:41

photo 7 looks a little like Richie Ginther to me.....

#3 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 09:24

Picture 6 is Jim Hall in a Chaparral 2C, Laguna seca 1965.

Picture 7 is Hap Sharp, same car, same event.

Picture 8 is a McLaren M1A but who and when ????

Picture 9 is Jerry Hansen in a Wolverine at Mont Tremblant 1966.

Picture 10 is a Ferrari 512S but who and when ??? Probably 1970 or 1971.

Quite easy if you're looking on the parent directory of your webspace (link in your first thread) and open the picture : you'll find the answer in the address reference !
The Ferrari 512S however, isn't there.

#4 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:12

Originally posted by Pedro917
Quite easy if you're looking on the parent directory of your webspace (link in your first thread) and open the picture : you'll find the answer in the address reference!

The file names in my webspace parent directory were only my guesses ;)
I posted the pictures here for TNF confirmation (or not)...

#5 jph

jph

• 370 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:37

No 8 looks like Phil Hill, maybe at the September '65 Northwest GP at Kent, Washington where he substituted for Bruce and finished 11th on the aggregate of two heats (see page 54, Friedman, McLaren Sports Racing Cars)..

#6 vandem

vandem

• 54 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:39

Mike Parkes drove #4 512S in the 1970 Targa Floria. He was a tall driver, so his helmet may have stuck out over the top of the windscreen...

... but I can't remember all the corners on this circuit ;) so I can't be sure.

#7 Rob Ryder

Rob Ryder

• 2,602 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 10:44

Originally posted by vandem
Mike Parkes drove #4 512S in the 1970 Targa Floria. He was a tall driver, so his helmet may have stuck out over the top of the windscreen...

The Parkes/Muller 512S in the 1970 Targa Florio was entered by Scuderia Filipinetti and had a white nose... :

#8 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,055 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 11:59

Originally posted by jph
No 8 looks like Phil Hill, maybe at the September '65 Northwest GP at Kent, Washington where he substituted for Bruce and finished 11th on the aggregate of two heats (see page 54, Friedman, McLaren Sports Racing Cars)..

That was my thought when I saw it, but my memory (and total lack of written information...) wouldn't allow me to speculate on the wheres and whens.

Definitely Phil Hill... he wore that kind of hat, he used that kind of visor on occasion, the white overalls and the facial features/expression (that's visible...).

#9 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 264 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 12:17

Ferrari #4 - since all other pictures are from USA, I would think this one was also from USA. But Ferrari 512S never raced with number 4 at Daytona, Sebring or Watkins Glen... So I believe it is from some show-run or vintage-type race.

Good idea, I just have him 5th on aggregate results.

Chaparrals - I think number 66 is from 1964 and number 65 is 1965 of Chaparral. So I don't think they are from the same event.

#10 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 12:49

I've had the 512S photo on my hard drive for about 4 years, and I agree with Martin; I'm as certain as I can be that it's a historic race, presumably in the US.

I had a long discussion wuth Franco at Motor Racing Retro about it approx 18 months ago... He reckoned it was Schetty at the Nürburgring, but I don't think it's either. I really don't think it's a "period" photo.

Also agree that photo 6 is from 1964, with photo 7 Hap Sharp in 1965. From the photos in the books of Dave Friedman and Robert Falconer (with Doug!), I'd hazars a guess at Mosport 64 for no. 6?

#11 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 14:39

Photo 6 is definitely from from 1964. I will get the specific event later today when I get home. Probably an USRRC round with Jim Hall or Hap Sharp at the wheel -- or perhaps even Roger Penske. As I said, I will try to get the specifics later on.

Photo 7 is definitely from 1965. Probably Hap Sharp driving. Very likely an USRRC event, but I need to eyeball this better later on.

Photo No. 8 is Phil Hill subbing for Bruce McLaren at Kent in 1965 in the Northwest GP in the first of the updated McLarens.

Photo No. 9 rings a bell. I have several ideas from just a quick look at it, but probably a Genie or something similar. The tires inside the turn also make me think of only a few places. I'll take a better look later on.

#12 Gerr

Gerr

• 696 posts

Posted 04 September 2003 - 22:37

Photo 9, is taken at the same corner at Pacific Raceways,Kent Wa. as photo 2, 3 and 4 in Rob's other "Sportcar photo ID" thread. The tires are blacker, like the white paint has worn off, so I don't think it was taken at the 1963 NWGP. Maybe the next year ? If so then I'll venture a guess that car #741 is Jim Rattenbury's "Rattenbury Mk. 4" , which was based on Huffaker Genie bits.

#13 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 03:41

Photo 6
Posted Image

Looking at Jim Hall at the Augusta USRRC, there are many similarities to the photo. Also, the car lacks the tall intake stacks used later in the season, so this is almost definitely from a USRRC round. Also, at the Pensacola USRRC round the Chaparrals sported a different exhaust layout than that at Augusta as well as at the Laguna Seca USRRC. The exhaust system routed over the rear deck was also used at the Elkhart Lake June Sprints.

A closer look makes me rule out Augusta -- the exhaust stacks are different, shorter.
Pensacola is out -- the exhaust system is the over the deck system.
Riverside is out -- ditto Pensacola.
Laguna Seca is out -- Jim Hall ran as No. 366, but with an exhaust & intake configuration similar to that in the photo.
Kent -- hmmmm, looks very similar to the photo...
PIR -- ?
Mosport -- ?
Watkins Glen -- hmmmm, ditto Kent
Greenwood -- another, hmmmm....
Meadowdale is out -- the tall intakes configuration
Mid-Ohio is out -- ditto Meadowdale
Road America is out -- no No. 66....
Mosport is out -- intake configuration
Riverside is out -- ditto Mosport
Nassau is out -- ditto Riverside

Sorry, the best I can right now.

Photo 7
Posted Image

No brainer that this 1965 since the louvers didn't make their appearance until this season. Plus, the wheels. The louvers seemed to make their appearance at Kent. At Riverside there was a deflector on the right side of the windscreen not seen in this photo.

Photo 8
Posted Image

Called the "McLaren Series II" by the Press, this is Phil Hill at Kent in the TRACO Oldsmobile-powered machine.

Photo 9
Posted Image

This is certainly a Huffaker Genie -- or is composed of a majority of Genie components at any rate. Looks like Mk. 8 with probably an Oldsmobile or Buick engine. I tend to agree that it is Jim Rattenbury.

As I said earlier, this is as much as I can do for right now.

#14 mickj

mickj

• 142 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 04:00

Photo 9. Stan Burnett Burnett Chevy?. His cars had Genie bodywork. The photo of Rattenbury's car in Pete Lyons 2nd book had a dofferent nose .

#15 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 13:15

Originally posted by Pedro 917
Picture 9 is Jerry Hansen in a Wolverine at Mont Tremblant 1966.

Scusi if I intrude your sporty car conversation, but the name Wolverine intrigues me: I know Don Edmunds once (~1971) built an Indy Car and called it a Wolverine - any connections?

#16 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 05 September 2003 - 13:46

Originally posted by mickj
Photo 9. Stan Burnett Burnett Chevy?. His cars had Genie bodywork. The photo of Rattenbury's car in Pete Lyons 2nd book had a dofferent nose .

There was some replacement of earlier Mk. 8 noses with Mk. 10 noses which Huffaker had in the parts bin, plus the almost neverending modifications made to the front sections of most of these cars. I never fail to get a little bent at just how little there is relatively speaking on Huffaker Genies and many of these sorts of American cars, the Dean Batchelor Road Racing Specials series and other bits and pieces in SCG, R&T, and so forth being able to supply only the tiniest of glimpses into this world -- thank goodness for folks like Tam and Frank!