The Hume Weir circuit, Australia

• Please log in to reply
849 replies to this topic

#51 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 12:21

My (far from comprehensive) notes don't have Thomson in the Cooper after 1963
In 1964 it was being raced by Fred Wheelhouse and Wayne Ford - or was that a different car?

Advertisement

#52 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 21:10

Agree with that. And Thommo never had the chevy nova - that was Norm Beechey....and only for a season, I think before he got the Camaro and then Monaro in fairly quick succession.

#53 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 21:48

That was what I said... Norm Beechey went from the Mustang to the Chevy Nova... and he had that longer than he had the following car, which was that black Camaro. You might not have seen it...

But far from being a short time, I think you'll find the Nova was around for a while. It lived through two colour schemes, for instance (black and then blue). It wasn't until 1969 (well, maybe very late in 1968) that he ran the Munro...

David.. I'm not at all sure about those Coopers.

#54 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 26 February 2004 - 22:08

Yep..got em down pat now

Norm 64-5 Mustang (sold to BT), 66-7 Nova, late 67-8 Camaro (sold to BT), 68-71 Monaro
Thommo 66-69 Mustang, 69-71 Camaro (with big block), 71-73 Torana V8, 73-74 VW Chev
...had the Mallala from 64-66.
Also drove a Cortina at Sandown and Bathurst with Adrian until Dad stuck it over the rail at the Dipper in practice (he just showed me a photo of the finished product which they stuck into a 44 gallon drum!

#55 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 03:03

I always thought/assumed that the Bryan Thomson Camaro was the ex-Beechey car but after talking briefly with Norm and Margaret Beechey I am now not so sure as they know Bryan fairly well.

Norm tried hard to track down his old Camaro but with no luck. Be bought his current Camaro instead.

deeks6, can you shed any light on the subject???

Chris.
www.MotorsportArchive.com

#56 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 04:06

Oh no, I have never doubted that Beechey's Camaro never raced in Australia again...

He could have sold it to NZ or as a road car.

#57 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:39

I stand corrected - evidently Brian bought his from Shepparton wrecker, Neville Thompson (the drag racer, no relation).

Don't know what happened to Norms - New Zealand does ring a bell (pun intended) though, now that I think about it. I'll try to get Adrian to find out.

#58 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 00:23

Info on the Thomson Camaro:

Bryan got the Camaro from Neville Thompson who had drag raced it to win the
Street Drag Championship. Bryan went to the US and got aluminium heads and
rear disc brakes for it. He ran it with the 427 Big block Chev engine. He
sold it to Don Elliott in Sydney for Tony Edmonston to drive. It then was
sold to a speedway guy and is now owned by Peter Sportelli in Tasmania.

#59 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:31

Originally posted by Ray Bell
That was what I said... Norm Beechey went from the Mustang to the Chevy Nova... and he had that longer than he had the following car, which was that black Camaro. You might not have seen it...

Ray, for what it is worth, I seem to remember being enamoured with the Beechey Nova for at least a couple to three seasons.

Advertisement

#60 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 11 March 2004 - 08:53

That's right, two or three seasons...

It was the Camaro which he only raced a couple of times.

#61 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 08:01

Thanks Deeks6. :clap:

BTW, Did that information come from Bryan Thomson via Adrian?

I remember seeing a photo of the Camaro in Peter Portelli's hands circa mid 1970s and was horrified to see that it had been turned into a full-on Sports Sedan with (from memory) box type guard extensions and generally cut about. I am glad to hear that he still has the car though.

Chris.

#62 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,603 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:24

Originally posted by deeks6
Don't know what happened to Norms - New Zealand does ring a bell

Nah - didn't come here.

Did anyone else in the world ever run a Chev Nova?

Didn't think so...................

#63 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:26

This what I believe to be the history of Beechey’s Chevs, etc.

He debuted the Nova at Bathurst during Easter 1966. I have seen a colour photo and it appears to be painted in a light blue colour, presumably the Neptune Trident Team colours of the day.

By about September 1966 it was repainted in the Shell Team colours of black, with yellow and red stripes.

In early 1968 the black was replaced with the new Shell Team “Electric Blue” (well that’s the name I remember it being called).

In July that year the Nova was replaced the black Camaro (I wonder how good it would have looked in “Electric Blue”?). I only know of four race meetings that it competed in.

The Camaro was replaced in October 1968 by the HK Monaro (painted in standard GMH Warrick Yellow). It wasn’t repainted into the correct Shell Team blue colours until the beginning of 1969.

Little wonder, as 1968 was a busy year for Norm as he raced three cars he owned, which involved four liveries. Not to mention the two race meetings he competed in driving Jim McKeown’s Cortina.

He debuted the yellow HT Monaro in 1970, which he raced until his quiet retirement from racing at Wanneroo in 1972. His HK Monaro also ended its days at Wanneroo in the hands of Peter Briggs. It was a rusted old wreck last time I saw it….

Chris

#64 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:37

Vicuna, Norm raced the Nova in New Zealand at a race meeting or two in 1968. I believe the plan was to leave the Nova in NZ and to run the Camaro in Australia.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of it competing?

Chris.

#65 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,603 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 09:42

Originally posted by normbeechey
Vicuna, Norm raced the Nova in New Zealand at a race meeting or two in 1968. I believe the plan was to leave the Nova in NZ and to run the Camaro in Australia.

You wouldn't happen to have any photos of it competing?

Chris.

Man I was there! Bay Park. :cry:

Norm rocked!

Powder blue never looked so good on a racing car.

Photos? Yeah right. Wish I did.

#66 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:00

normbeechey, yes, I got the confirmations of Brian's Camaro from Adrian, after I remembered that he got it from Neville. Dad and I actually travelled to Melbourne in this car with Neville on the way to Calder. He had a Rat 454 in it and we travelled down Pretty Sally hill at about 140mph as I recall.

BTW, I know he has the NZ magazines of Norm in NZ in the Nova - if you like I can scan some pics/reports and post them...

#67 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 11:02

Oh, incidentally, if anyone is interested, Brian has just bought an Elfin (Holden) to compete in the Targa Tasmania. He's also doing up a Supra... you just can't keep the guy away from racing.

#68 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 12:07

Originally posted by normbeechey
This what I believe to be the history of Beechey’s Chevs, etc.

He debuted the Nova at Bathurst during Easter 1966. I have seen a colour photo and it appears to be painted in a light blue colour, presumably the Neptune Trident Team colours of the day.

By about September 1966 it was repainted in the Shell Team colours of black, with yellow and red stripes.

In early 1968 the black was replaced with the new Shell Team “Electric Blue” (well that’s the name I remember it being called).

In July that year the Nova was replaced the black Camaro (I wonder how good it would have looked in “Electric Blue”?). I only know of four race meetings that it competed in.

The Camaro was replaced in October 1968 by the HK Monaro (painted in standard GMH Warrick Yellow). It wasn’t repainted into the correct Shell Team blue colours until the beginning of 1969.

Little wonder, as 1968 was a busy year for Norm as he raced three cars he owned, which involved four liveries. Not to mention the two race meetings he competed in driving Jim McKeown’s Cortina.

He debuted the yellow HT Monaro in 1970, which he raced until his quiet retirement from racing at Wanneroo in 1972. His HK Monaro also ended its days at Wanneroo in the hands of Peter Briggs. It was a rusted old wreck last time I saw it….

Chris

There is this fella here in Canberra who says he vividly remembers racing an EJ at Calder in the sixties and having his doors blown off on the straight by Stormin Norm in the blue Monaro ....

#69 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 21:50

That's probably right... I think I recall a colour picture of the Munro in blue on the cover of Australian Autosportsman once... awful reproduction!

So what four meetings did the Camaro run at?

#70 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 13 March 2004 - 22:04

I distinctly remember the Camaro at the ATCC at Warwick Farm. He got killed by Pete in the 'Stang. I recall one at Calder too.

#71 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 01:40

Deeks6, Thanks for your offer. I have tried to send you an email via this forum. I will try again.

As for the four meetings (all 1968) that the Norm Beechey Camaro ran (all the ones that I know of at least), they were:

Warwick Farm 21st July AJC Trophy meeting.
Calder 4th August
Catalina Park 18th August
Warwick Farm 8th September ATCC meeting.

From memory Ian Geoghegan won most of the encounters.

In one race at Calder, where both cars finished with major mechanical woes, Norm snuck home first.

Norm may have also won the yellow flag affected preliminary race at Catalina Park.

I suspect the Camaro may have needed some development with its handling to match Geoghegan. Also it had drum brakes all round! Although I think Norm has said that they worked as well as disc…

Chris.

#72 deeks6

deeks6

• 30 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 08:55

Chris, your yahoo email is buggered. I've forwarded your email to Adrian. He's got heaps of stuff and he's always happy to help...
You can also get him via www.motornetnews.com.au

#73 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 16 March 2004 - 00:32

Drum brakes all round?

Utter garbage... and I'll have to check the reports, but I thought it won at the Farm, perhaps in Pete's absence?

#74 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:03

Ray,

Norm won a 5 lapper at the AJC Trophy meeting when Ian Geoghegan DNS.

Also, I am currently looking at a magazine article that not any states that Norm’s Camaro had drum brakes but has clear photos of both the front and rear drums.

Thanks deeks6, I will do that when I get a free moment.

Chris.

#75 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:10

That third line should have read "not only states".

I would never make a good proof reader!

Chris.

#76 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 01:49

Which magazine is that?

#77 normbeechey

normbeechey

• 172 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 02:33

Australian Autosportsman November 1968.

#78 eldougo

eldougo

• 7,946 posts

Posted 17 March 2004 - 08:09

[QUOTE]Originally posted by normbeechey .

Norm won a 5 lapper at the AJC Trophy meeting when Ian Geoghegan DNS.

That was the race on the slow down lap Norm came down into Creek corner and downed shifted with his right knee while waving to the crowd with both hands (that's our NORM). :up:

#79 almat

almat

• 2 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 11:38

The scrub corner photo I think should be Neil Allen 1 Bob Healey 2 Hoot Gibson 3 Bob Muir 4 The Thompson Mallala Id plate I believe is dated December 1963 So the cooper would have been gone by then.

Advertisement

#80 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 15:40

Posted Image

...and Fred Gibson 6? Or Peter Woodward?

So who's that in fifth? Wayne Ford? Not that Bevan Gibson's visible...

#81 almat

almat

• 2 posts

Posted 01 April 2004 - 10:12

Fifth I think was Alwyn Huff and I think it would be in the Goddard Special. Yes it was Fred Gibson

#82 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 13:51

Had a short visit to the Weir today.....pictures taken around what was START/FINISH....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#83 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:02

Tonight I had a long talk to a neighbour I have known for about 20 years.

We were planning the usual kids taxi operations that you tend to do prior to a weekend. As it happens, my neighbour grew up near Hume Weir and started to regale me with stories of his visits to the circuit as a younger man.

He described the circuit as being really good for spectators because it was a little like a fishbowl.....you could spectate from the rim of the quarry and see the whole circuit. He fondly remembers seeing the likes of Sir Stirling Moss, Graham Hill, Sir Jack Brabham and local heros such as Allan Moffat, Pete Geoghegan etc. He said "ïmagine Michael Schumacher coming to your local track near Albury - thats how good it was!"

My neighbours Father has some slides of the action....I have asked him if I could loan them to scan.

A cousin of my neighbour, a quiet man, drove trucks and race car transporters all over europe and once was entrusted with the London Philharmonic or Symphony Orchestra......His brother was a racer here in Australia and helped with the Brabham team in europe at the same time (now deceased).

I will try and get some more stories out of the cousin as the opportunity arises.

just magic :wave: :cool:

#84 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:46

Yeah, it was a great place...

But I won't accept that you could see the whole lot from anywhere. If you were in a position to see Globe, you couldn't see most of the straight and you couldn't see Scrub. In fact, unless you were at Scrub you couldn't see Scrub.

It was in the Scrub, you might say... tightest corner on any circuit in Australia (without actually checking...).

And the other day a guy told me somebody used to race a '62 Dodge there... check the slides for that one, 275... a red one... and for a 1964 Chev Impala as well!

#85 cosworth bdg

cosworth bdg

• 1,350 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 07:21

Has anyone have notes on the Hume Weir motoracing track in Australia...?

#86 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 24 June 2006 - 23:28

Graham Howard did an article on this in the Motor Racing Australia series, Closed Circuit...

Unfortunately the one person who could probably have been most informative about it, Phil Jones, died a few years ago. But there are still others in that area with a wealth of knowledge.

#87 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 15:40

The Hume Weir circuit near Albany was first used for racing on 2/11/59. It was an unsurfaced dirt track, in the style of Tarrawingee (Wangaratta), Barjarg (near Benalla) and Wimmera (near Horsham in western Victoria).
The track was lengthened to a mile for the 27/12/59 meeting, and tar-sealed between the January 1960 and 27/3 meetings. It was used purely for minor country meetings until the famous international in early 1961.

#88 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 20:35

Or Bright...

Hume Weir was closest to Wodonga, but known as being near Albury? Carey Park was near Albany.

#89 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 12:42

Graham Howard did an article on this in the Motor Racing Australia series, Closed Circuit...

Unfortunately the one person who could probably have been most informative about it, Phil Jones, died a few years ago. But there are still others in that area with a wealth of knowledge.

Craig Watson did an article on Hume Weir in his terrific magazine "The Mini Experience" (Issue 5 Jan 06).

Craig interviewed George Seymour, founding member of Albury and District Car Club member .....fascinating article.

#90 Leo D

Leo D

• 425 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 14:55

I'm shocked.... Australian guys who don't seem to know exactly where the old Hume Weir circuit is....

I'd be looking at near the base of the Hume Weir dam wall.... on the Victorian side to be exact...
It is to the east of Albury....
It is also to the east of Wodonga...
The weir being located on the Vic/NSW border....

I remember the Benalla Auto Club as once having some financial interest in the circuit as a possible replacement for Winton....

Bob Jane also had an interest at some stage as I recall....

You can "Google Earth" the location if your Australian geography skills are okay...

I'm now wondering that since I've posted the best description of the location so far, do I get to come back tommorrow night and play for the car?..... Hopefully a fully restored McLaren 10B... O.K wishfull thinking on my part :p

#91 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:29

Originally posted by Leo D
I'm shocked.... Australian guys who don't seem to know exactly where the old Hume Weir circuit is....

Welcome Leo....ahhhhh.... I think if you do a search on the weir you will find several threads....I visited the place a couple of years back and added some now photographs to one of the freds. Fairly sure you will also find the coordinates for it in the Google Earth racing circuits thread as well.

Don't hurt to rake over old coals tho :wave:

#92 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:19

Welcome Leo...

The only person showing that they didn't know where it was was our Kiwi mate David McKinney... and I'm sure that was just a case of mental fatigue, brain fade or similar. Maybe even a typo when he put 'Albany' in there.

#93 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:04

Obviously a typo

#94 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 05:22

Originally posted by David McKinney
Obiovusly a typo

Obiovusly...

#95 Leo D

Leo D

• 425 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:57

Hmmmmmm..... Looks like I've been spotted by the "locals".... fresh blood uh guys? .... lol

Great forum guys. I've been reading posts for about a month now, and thought I should take the plunge and join in. This subject seemed as good as any place to start.

For what it is worth, I was out at the weir earlier this month. Nothing other than the quarry walls is viewable at all from the road now days. Driving across the weir wall and looking down is also out (has been for a while from memory). However, you can still walk on the wall and look down towards what was once the circuit.

GTB.... I have been reading the Hume Weir posts, amongst other topics over the past months and one thing that caught my eye, but I haven't been able to find it since, was a pic of Pete Geoghegan in the Monaro on the front row of the grid... next to Garry Rogers as I recall.

I was wondering if one of you guys on here might be able to point me in the direction of where it might have been?

#96 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 09:17

Obiovusly...

Indubitably, and possibly like this one last weekend???

Posted Image

#97 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 12:02

GTB.... I have been reading the Hume Weir posts, amongst other topics over the past months and one thing that caught my eye, but I haven't been able to find it since, was a pic of Pete Geoghegan in the Monaro on the front row of the grid... next to Garry Rogers as I recall.

I was wondering if one of you guys on here might be able to point me in the direction of where it might have been?

I would start here ----> http://www.autopics....au/default.html

#98 xbgs351

xbgs351

• 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 00:40

You can "Google Earth" the location if your Australian geography skills are okay...

36 06' 49"S, 147 00'51E

It's basically equidistant between Albury and Wodonga.

#99 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 63,632 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:19

It's actually east of them both... about 8 miles from memory.

Advertisement

#100 xbgs351

xbgs351

• 129 posts

Posted 30 June 2006 - 01:30

OK, it's east of both Albury and Wodonga, but the distance from the circuit to both Albury and Wodonga is pretty much the same.