Photo

Gianmaria Bruni at Minardi (Merged)

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 arthurive

arthurive

• 767 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 15:04

If anyone can read Italian (I have a friend who translated this link) it appears that
the Minardi team rates this kid very highly and that he embarrased Verstappen in Italy
by posting a better time in free practice until late, when Jos put on new tires and went
very light to just pip Bruni's time. Apparently, the team also rates "Gimmy's" technical input
as excellent.
http://www.italiarac...et/commento.asp

Advertisement

#2 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 15:45

No. Future backmarker, ocassional point scorer, nothing more. Very similiar to Gene, badoer or Firman.
His results have average at best. If you want an Italian to support than Liuzzi or Pantano are better bets. I even rate Toccacelo or Gianmaria more than Bruni.

Mind, I'm going to look foolish if Bruni becomes the next big star ;)

#3 BRG

BRG

• 26,461 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 16:07

Originally posted by Richie Jenkins
Very similiar to Gene, badoer or Firman.

Well, Gene maybe, but not the other two. They have much better CVs than Bruni (Luca was F3000 champ and Ralph was British F3 and F. Nippon champ). But I agree you 100% on "Future backmarker, ocassional point scorer, nothing more." and even more that "If you want an Italian to support than Liuzzi or Pantano are better bets."

First Kiesa, now Bruni - Minardi are really scraping the barrel in their efforts to find the new Alex Yoong...;)

#4 ensign14

ensign14

• 63,241 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 16:11

If they want an Italian, Liuzzi...

#5 ehagar

ehagar

• 7,828 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 16:21

Wan't he the guy that was Alex Gurney's teammate in F3? I was actually kinda impressed with him. He seemed to do well even though he didn't have the best package (Renault wasn't too good that year I recall).

I wouldn't think he would get to F1 but he seemed decent to me.

Then again, I think Heikki Kovalainen is better than Kimi Raikonnen... I mean he has to be, he has more K's in his name.

#6 paulb

paulb

• 11,603 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 16:38

He was Gurneys teammate at Fortec.

He was clearly the faster of the two until they sorted out some issues with Gurneys car and they were more evenly matched.

#7 arthurive

arthurive

• 767 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 16:56

Guys:

Bruni's CV is not exceptional but not bad. He was very competitive in BritF3 and he's been
a multiple winner in EuroF3000.
Now, sometimes, as you're all aware, a great CV doesn't translate into success (Jan Magnussen)
while other times, drivers can rise to the challenge.
What I'm saying is, Bruni's test pace has been excellent. Let's give it more time (Indy & Suzuka)
to allow for more judgment.
As "BRG" probably knows by now, I always support Italians (save Trulli) and indeed I have high
hopes for Liuzzi and Pantano, although Giorgio's management is decidedly incompetent.

#8 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 17:20

Originally posted by ehagar
Then again, I think Heikki Kovalainen is better than Kimi Raikonnen... I mean he has to be, he has more K's in his name.

Only if you misspell Räikkönen. :wave:

#9 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 17:40

Originally posted by arthurive
Guys:

Bruni's CV is not exceptional but not bad. He was very competitive in BritF3 and he's been
a multiple winner in EuroF3000.

You've made some very good points but Nick Kiesa was not too shabby in British F3 & look at him now....
I also don't rate European F3000 as a serious competition, regardless of Massa coming up from there- there are some decent drivers but the majority are nobodies - at least with F3000, if they don't make F1, they do tend to go on & be competitive somewhere else.

Having said all this, I feel that he's as good as Davidson, Baumgartner, Kiesa, Yoong, Marques etc. so I won't be against him if he makes it to F1 & will be pleased for him if he does well, but I just won't expect anything from him.

BRG, yep, sorry, I should have refined that his F1 career will be like Badoer & Firman's - both were quite outstanding in lower formulae, Badoer, especially - if he'd joined anyone else but Lola in 1993, who knows what would've happened...

I believe Montagny has one of the Minardi seats already & the pay-drivers are battling for the second as Jos confirmed he's leaving. I feel somehow that Montagny, whose CV is equally not outstanding but not poor, will be the one to better himself in a higher formulae, like Nannini, Fisichella, Trulli, Martini & Alonso (with one or two others) did with the same team & varying lower formulae CV's.

#10 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 17:59

Originally posted by ehagar

If you spell their names correctly, Heikki Kovalainen and Kimi Räikkönen, they both have three K's. :)

Hmmm... wait... KKK! :eek: :lol:

#11 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 18:04

Originally posted by arthurive
If anyone can read Italian (I have a friend who translated this link) it appears that
the Minardi team rates this kid very highly and that he embarrased Verstappen in Italy
by posting a better time in free practice until late, when Jos put on new tires and went
very light to just pip Bruni's time. Apparently, the team also rates "Gimmy's" technical input
as excellent.
http://www.italiarac...et/commento.asp

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Yeah right..... Wanna hear Jos' version...

Jos said the entire team was working on Bruni's car. Setting the car up as fast as possible, "no" fuel... best tyres....qualifying setup etc..

And Italian in an Italian team during an Italian GP.... Yeah, Bruni is the real deal. Trying to beat Jos in a ultrafast qualifying setup while Jos has to focus on the race. Jos was glad though he beat Bruni, he said it felt really good to piss them off.... What a bunch on nonsence... But I can understand it. Jos will probably leave Minardi for Jordan or even Jaguar so it's always good for Minardi to have some talent to sell.... :lol:

#12 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 11,477 posts

Posted 22 September 2003 - 22:23

I strongly believe in Gianmaria Bruni. Bruni could be a potential star but I rate Giorgio Pantano and Vitantonio Liuzzi a bit higher. And let's not forget Christian Montanari, who also looks very promissing.

#13 clifford_chance

clifford_chance

• 110 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 05:31

Originally posted by HSJ

If you spell their names correctly, Heikki Kovalainen and Kimi Räikkönen, they both have three K's. :)

Hmmm... wait... KKK! :eek: :lol:

And you forget Mika Hakkinen!!

#14 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 23 September 2003 - 06:11

I'd take Liuzzi or Pantano well before I consider Bruni.

#15 arthurive

arthurive

• 767 posts

Posted 29 September 2003 - 19:13

IN Friday testing at Indianapolis, Bruni was the quickest of the 3 Minardi drivers.
Slightly quicker than Jos and approx. 0.5 seconds quicker than Kiesa.
He's far better than the likes of Matteo Bobbi, who had the test role prior to Gianmaria.

#16 arthurive

arthurive

• 767 posts

Posted 01 October 2003 - 16:38

If you can read Italian:
http://www.italiarac...ews.asp?id=3337

I'm backing this kid (well, not financially........) so here's hoping.
There is a story that is suggesting there's a group of Italian investors that are planning to buy
into (partially or fully) the Minardi team. This same group is backing Gianmaria Bruni.

#17 kenjafield

kenjafield

• 802 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:39

http://www.itv-f1.co...ews_story/18516

Press reports in Italy are linking Gianmaria Bruni with a race drive at Minardi next year.

Bruni piloted the team’s third car in several Friday test sessions towards the end of the year and is now being tipped to step up to a full drive.

The 22-year-old, who is nicknamed ‘Gimmi’, impressed in his testing outings and even outpaced both Minardi’s regular drivers, Jos Verstappen and Nicolas Kiesa, at Indianapolis.

However, a Minardi spokesman told ITVF1 that they had no intention of making any driver announcements imminently.

He said: “We are in the same position as last year with only a few seats likely to be vacant. Therefore, there’s no particular pressure on us to name our drivers.

“I think we will take the same sort of approach as last year and make our driver announcements early in the new year.

“You never say never in this business but there are lots of people who want to talk to us and for now we are quite happy to do just that.”

http://www.grandprix...ns/ns12073.html

The latest word from Italy is that Roman driver Gianmaria "Jimmy" Bruni is close to signing a deal to drive for Minardi in 2004. The 22-year-old impressed this year in several outings as the team's third driver in test on Fridays, coming close to the times of the regular drivers despite not always having the best available tires.

Bruni has been racing since he was 10 and after competing in the Italian Formula Renault Campus series in 1998 moved on to win the European Formula Renault title in 1999 with Roberto Cavallari's JD Motorsport, beating Antonio Pizzonia to the title in the final round. In 2000 he moved to Britain and raced for the Fortec team in British Formula 3 and was fifth in the championship and he stayed on for a disappointing second year in 2001. Unable to afford the jump to Formula 3000 he had been racing in the European series for Coloni Motorsport but this year managed to scrape together the backing to test for Minardi.

If Bruni does sign for Minardi, Jos Verstappen is going to have to be careful as unless he is able to land a drive with Jordan or Jaguar he could find himself out of work as Minardi is believed to have several other young drivers with money keen to take the second seat.

#18 Double Apex

Double Apex

• 2,334 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:47

Originally posted by kenjafield

If Bruni does sign for Minardi, Jos Verstappen is going to have to be careful as unless he is able to land a drive with Jordan or Jaguar he could find himself out of work as Minardi is believed to have several other young drivers with money keen to take the second seat.

Yeah I think you're right about that one. Jos obviously wants to leave Minardi but if things don't work out for him Minardi might be his only option.

Maybe the deal with Bruni is already done. During the Japanese GP Stoddart said on dutch TV that in reality there were only two vacant seats left in F1 for 2004 of which one was with Minardi. That would obviously mean that one Minardi seat is already taken and two of the other tree remaining seats at Jordan and Jag are occupied as well.

#19 se7en_24

se7en_24

• 19,868 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 11:58

Originally posted by Double Apex

Maybe the deal with Bruni is already done. During the Japanese GP Stoddart said on dutch TV that in reality there were only two vacant seats left in F1 for 2004 of which one was with Minardi. That would obviously mean that one Minardi seat is already taken and two of the other tree remaining seats at Jordan and Jag are occupied as well.

Didn't Paul Stoddart say Justin Wilson would definitely be driving in F1 next season - whether it be at Jaguar or Minardi? That could explain it...

Advertisement

#20 FredF1

FredF1

• 2,284 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 12:41

Eddie Jordan was interviewed by Irish tv at the Japanese grand prix. He was saying how Jordan would be going back to the policy of finding a fast young talent who would be in demand by the richer teams. If Alex Yoong is going to Jordan - makes EJ look an even bigger liar than usual. The only other outcome is that Yoong's cash is used to subsidise a 'young gun' in the other seat which would mean Firman's out of luck.

#21 KWSN - DSM

KWSN - DSM

• 38,410 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 13:06

In Danish media Kiesa has stated that he is close to signing for all of next season with Minardi at Dkk 30 million (I think there is 7,5 DKK to a Euro).

:cool:

#22 BlackCat

BlackCat

• 948 posts

Posted 22 October 2003 - 14:46

hasn't Stoddart said something like that in every case Justin Wilson will have a racing seat in '04? and i dont think Jag will keep Wilson. if Minardi was a competitive team, i'd find Wilson & Bruni a promising pair. but Minardi being Minardi - hmm, money talks...

#23 Chevy II Nova

Chevy II Nova

• 1,940 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 06:31

Minardi won't be competitive until we at least gain on the mid-pack teams. To do that we need money. That means pay drivers, who aren't always worth the money behind them. A year or so with crappy drivers with tons of money, then hopefully that will give us enough to take guys with less money, that can put our good car in the right place.

Wilson/Bruni would be exceptional, but if Kiesa can bring more than them, let the boy drive. At least he doesn't go all "Alex Yoong" on our chassis.

My thoughts? Bruni/Verstappen. I really don't think Jos has found another drive. Kiesa will be our Friday guy, paying of course. That could give us a nice, cushy budget.

#24 A3

A3

• 32,128 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 08:30

Originally posted by Chevy II Nova
I really don't think Jos has found another drive.

:cool: Think again.;)

#25 Chevy II Nova

Chevy II Nova

• 1,940 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:08

Jag is the most likely one.... I will believe it when I see it. :(

Even so, Bruni/Wilson with Kiesa as 3rd tester (I said Friday earlier, which will no longer be used) is a good lineup of money makers.

#26 A3

A3

• 32,128 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 09:30

Originally posted by Chevy II Nova
Jag is the most likely one.... I will believe it when I see it. :(

I was told it's looking very good. :)

#27 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:14

Bruni IS a Minardi F1 driver (not tester) for 2004 - it will be annouced in February but the deal's already been done (sources: two in Italy & Autosport)
Karthikeyan is slight favourite to join him.
Jos look very good for a seat with a team beginning with the letter "J" - he won't be back at Minardi.
Montagny is staying as a tester & won't be racing
Burti is favourite for the 2nd Ferrari test seat
Zonta is staying as Toyota tester

I hope that makes things clearer :D

#28 QdfV

QdfV

• 3,382 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:17

A yellow or a green J?;)

#29 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:24

let's put it this way - it's one of the colours on the flag of Libya ;) ;)

#30 A3

A3

• 32,128 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:33

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm :confused: :confused: :drunk:

Where did you hear this, Richie?

#31 Double Apex

Double Apex

• 2,334 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:49

:smoking: :smoking: :smoking:

#32 QdfV

QdfV

• 3,382 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 12:51

Hope you are right ;)

#33 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 13:07

Originally posted by A3

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm :confused: :confused: :drunk:

Where did you hear this, Richie?

credit to you all for knowing Libyas flag so quickly :smoking:

Where? From a very noted & reliable Dutch journalist AND a very noted Dutch ex-Grand Prix driver (not Rothengatter), added to which I've been watching what way the wind's been blowing. It depends on if Heidfeld wins his case against the FIA in the EU courts over this new 3rd driver rule & the implications from there on & sponsor agreements.
But he's only looking good - he's not signed - Bruni, however, has.

#34 Sebastian Deveraux

Sebastian Deveraux

• 594 posts

Posted 23 October 2003 - 23:38

credit to you all for knowing Libyas flag so quickly :smoking:

Where? From a very noted & reliable Dutch journalist AND a very noted Dutch ex-Grand Prix driver (not Rothengatter), added to which I've been watching what way the wind's been blowing. It depends on if Heidfeld wins his case against the FIA in the EU courts over this new 3rd driver rule & the implications from there on & sponsor agreements.
But he's only looking good - he's not signed - Bruni, however, has.

So Richie, do you know who is in line if Jos does not get the Jag seat?

Wurz
Frentzen
Klien
Villenueve

?

#35 Witt

Witt

• 3,308 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 06:23

It depends on if Heidfeld wins his case against the FIA in the EU courts over this new 3rd driver rule & the implications from there on & sponsor agreements.

Say again?

Heidfeld has officially challenged the new 3rd driver ruling? That's great stuff! Have you got any more info?

#36 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:16

Right, to try and answer both questions at once:
Heidfeld is not looking likely to get a race seat with the final three teams but is keen on a test drive. However, none of the bottom 6 teams will take him on because of the rule (top 4 aren't interested in him)
Because of this, he feels it is unfair that he should be prevented from doing his job by this rule & has taken it to the EU Working Rights Comissionor something similarly named - he has a good case but may fail on two reasons 1) he has not had a firm offer from a team so it can be argued he's not lost anything or 2) he can still be a motor racing driver - this rule isn't stopping him going anywhere.
As I understand it, a decision will be made by January at the latest.
This may affect Jaguar as Wurz is, along with Jos, the favourite for the seat. Wurz is comfortable with McLaren but would be keen on staying with them & being the tester for Jaguar as preparation for a possible seat when Webber goes in 2005.
If both should fall through, Justin Wilson will drive. Klien will not drive in 2004, that's for certain.
Frentzen is DTM or Jordan - nothing else
Villeneuve's best hope will be 1 years sabbatical & then finding a place when all the chairs change in 05, if he wants to stay in F1, at all that is.

So
Wurz/Jos then Wilson - nobody else unless Webber does leave early to Williams but I don't think he will.

#37 Double Apex

Double Apex

• 2,334 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 10:39

Hasn't Wurz been confirmed at McLaren together with the rest of their drivers? I don't think Ron Dennis will be too keen on letting him go...

#38 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 13:02

Yep, he was. But Jaguar can buy him out.
But Wurz knows for sure that he won't be promoted to main driver as JPM & Kimi are there - unless they get injured, Wurz's only hope of an F1 drive is somewhere else. Ron wasn't keen on letting Panis go a few years back but he did as OP wanted racing. Ron may have to the same for Wurz, let him go & work with Turner, Hamilton & PDLR , who to be fair are a prettu decent trio.

#39 Shiftin

Shiftin

• 5,976 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 13:42

Yep, he was. But Jaguar can buy him out.

That's not very likely, is it? But if they do would he bring any sponsors to Jaguar?

If not, Jos would be a cheaper option. No need to buy him out and he brings a considerable amount of cash to the team. If things are as you say I am putting my money on da Boss... :cool:

Advertisement

#40 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 24 October 2003 - 18:29

Yep, Shiftin, quite right.

Well, what's also interesting is that they've signed Klien - now there is a Red Bull link floating around & Red Bull are particulary closely entwined with Austrians - but by signing Klien - he's the one who the Red Bull link & not Wurz. I can't think of anything that Wurz would particulary bring money wise but the powers-that-be at Jaguar, I think, rate him higher than Jos & may take the shortfall.

I must state, I'm only going on information given to me (mostly journos) & what I've also read in Autosport - in some ways I know as much as the next person which is nowt. :D But although I won't go into detail about JaVil as it's on the other thread - there's been nothing to suggest in those rumours & from these sources that he'll be racing a Jag in 04

However, I would rate Jos' chances of a race seat, somewhere, in 2004 to be a good 60-65% at least. But it does depend on other factors, namely HHF, Heidfeld et al.. - in some ways I think this wait for the seats may be more exciting than some of the action next year :lol:

#41 The Vulcan

The Vulcan

• 1,109 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 00:56

Well, Bruni's deal with Minardi is probably a done deal as Richie had earlier suggested, with Stoddart making a statement that the deal is very close...... with that out of the way, who would fill the second seat at Minardi? Wilson?

#42 Sebastian Deveraux

Sebastian Deveraux

• 594 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 01:44

Thanks for the info Richie.

I doubt Wurz, he has backed out 2 years in a row now of getting a F1 seat. It would be good though.

I reckon it will be Jos for financial reasons.

I don't think it will be wilson, based on this:

http://www.f1central...wsid=1067320942

I hope it will be Heidfeld, as he as the points on the board, something Jag hasn't looked at with AP and JW.

#43 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 7,235 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 11:31

Originally posted by The Vulcan
Well, Bruni's deal with Minardi is probably a done deal as Richie had earlier suggested, with Stoddart making a statement that the deal is very close...... with that out of the way, who would fill the second seat at Minardi? Wilson?

my guess is Kiesa

#44 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,440 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 22:18

I can't think of anything that Wurz would particulary bring money wise but the powers-that-be at Jaguar, I think, rate him higher than Jos & may take the shortfall.

Wurz's wife is one of the senior partners at Superfund, who are looking for better exposure than Minardi, so he apparently has their backing.

Oh, and their logo has a pretty much British racing green background, for what that matters.

#45 calibre001

calibre001

• 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 22:27

Originally posted by Jackman
[B]Wurz's wife is one of the senior partners at Superfund, who are looking for better exposure than Minardi, so he apparently has their backing.

Are you sure? I thought his wife (Julia?) was ex-Benetton PR- a big move from PR into being a partner in a global hedge fund...

#46 Jackman

Jackman

• 16,440 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 22:33

That's what I'm told - it could, of course, be that she's their PR manager, but either way she is high up at Superfund in some manner, and he has been talking to their guy at the track a lot in the second half of the year.

#47 calibre001

calibre001

• 174 posts

Posted 29 October 2003 - 22:50

Originally posted by Jackman
That's what I'm told - it could, of course, be that she's their PR manager, but either way she is high up at Superfund in some manner, and he has been talking to their guy at the track a lot in the second half of the year.

Cheers.

I do find it interesting that Superfund are getting involved with motorsport on such a large scale (sponsorship of Euro F3000, F1, etc). Good luck to them, but giving the risky nature of hedge funds, and the spectacular failure of several funds (such as the famous Long term capital management fund) I wonder a) How long will these guys be around and b) what benefit do they get from F1?

Maybe its justa lark for the owners who (currently) have more money than god.

#48 The Vulcan

The Vulcan

• 1,109 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 03:10

There is a very strong possibility of Gianmaria Bruni filling-up a race seat at Minardi. One would like to think that PStoddart is taking him on merit although there is a sense that Bruni is quite loaded with $. Does anyone actually know how good he is?

He has been consistently beating Kiesa during his testing days with Minardi and has come quite close to Verstappen's times. There was also talk previously that he could have won the Euro 3000 championship if not for his testing commitments with Minardi.

Is he another Webber/Alonso or another Yoong/Mazzacane?

#49 Chevy II Nova

Chevy II Nova

• 1,940 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 04:20

He is very quick. In fact, part of the delay is thought to be that he is not loaded with the cash required. He could very well be another Webber.

#50 Flying Panda

Flying Panda

• 5,053 posts

Posted 26 November 2003 - 08:57

Bruni is a big step up from Yoong, Kiesa and Wilson.

IIRC, he was the fastest Minardi in Friday testing by a significant margin at the USGP.