Photo

Pete Lovely

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#1 richie

richie

• 441 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 22:26

Pete Lovely raced a Lotus 49B in 1970/1971. I met him at the British Grand Prix. He was from the USA, a VW motor dealer, who used a VW pick- up to transport his F1 car. Does he still race. Does anyone have any stories.

Advertisement

#2 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 22:32

He certainly does!! He STILL races the Lotus 49B he bought from Chapman way back in 1968!! In fact, it's that cars' tub that is now universally know as being the actual tub that Jim Clark used that day at Zandvoort to win the first race ever with a DFV engine!! I think he's based in California.

#3 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 22:55

Here he was last August:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

He's always listed as from Seattle, as far as I remember.

#4 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 23:10

About 25 years earlier, Riverside Int'l Raceway, Curt Anderson photos

Posted Image

Posted Image

#5 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 04 November 2003 - 23:14

Pete Lovely first came to prominence sharing a works Lotus with Innes Ireland to take a class win in the 1958 Reims 12-hour sports car classic. It was intended that he should drive a works Lotus 16 in the following year's Monaco Grand Prix, but when the car arrived too late for him to qualify he returned to the USA and drove a Cooper-Ferrari in that year's US Grand Prix.He spent the next decade concentrating on the development of his thriving Volkswagen dealership in Seattle. He reappeared between 1969 and 71 contesting a very limited program of Grands Prix - few of which he managed to qualify for - driving his own ex-works Lotus 49B the ownership of which he retains to this day.
http://www.grandprix...drv-lovpet.html

Results of the 11 F1 races he entered......
http://www.formulaon...ly/results.html

Interesting fact...his full name is Gerard Carlton Lovely.

#6 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 01:26

Nice link here to the Lovely-Lotus story (sorry for the alliteration, couldn't resist :blush: )

#7 Magee

Magee

• 379 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 01:29

Pete was a regular visitor at Westwood just a short ride from his home in the Seattle-Tacoma area. He brought with him several different cars at various times -- Lotus 11, Lotus 15, Cooper-Porsche (Pooper), Cooper-Ferrari, (maybe his Lotus 49B) and so on. And he was there from the opening of the circuit in 1959(won one race in his Lotus 15)and more likely at the last race in 1990.
Newspaper reporters loved to make up headlines with his last name. This sport was irresistable to them. Here's the news report from July 27, 1960 event.

Lew Florence Ruins Pete's Lovely Day
By Tom Butler, The Vancouver Sun, Monday, June 27, 1960

Sunday was far from a Lovely day at Westwood Sports Car Circuit.
For Seattle's Pete Lovely, it was a phooey kind of an afternoon.
Lovely and his Lotus 11 had tried all season to catch clubmate Lew Florence and his smug Lotus 15.
This time it was oh-so-close - but no cigars.
Florence ran his string to 13 victories, taking both the feature 15-lap Open Modified Class and the 10-lap Senior Le Mans.
In both, Lovely finished runner-up, a mere half-length behind.
Lew posted the day's fastest lap in the Le Mans, clocking 78.1 mph around the 1.8 miles circuit - just seven-tenths of a mile slower than the track record.
The Modified battle was a dandy with Lew and Pete changing the lead position seven times, which delighted the crowd of 7,150.
Vancouver's Charles McKaig was handling his borrowed Lotus 11 well in third place before spinning out in Turn Two. He continued on down the back stretch but was forced to quit at the hairpin with a broken right front suspension.
Ken Finnigan in his locally built Climax Special took third with a standout driving performance.
Vancouver's Jim Rattenbury, piloting a Porsche instead of his familiar D-Jaguar, finished fourth in the new car's first outing.
The Powder-Puff event was taken by Victoria's Ann Moore in her gun-metal TR-3, with second spot going to the Lotus 7, driven by Vancouver's Zelma Moore. The favorite, Joan Goodridge of Burnaby, borrowed a TR3 "Special" after burning out a clutch in her Austin-Healey. She placed third.
Other winners: FGHI Production - George Wetzel, Austin-Healey 100 (Seattle); ABCD - Jim Milligan, AC Bristol (Edmonton); E - Milt Davis, Porsche (Portland); Jr. Le Mans - Ken Rumsby, TR3 (Victoria); Motor-Bikes - Pete Kellond, 500 Manx Norton (Vancouver).

#8 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 05:17

I was just looking again at the two sets of great pictures posted by Frank - once you look through the mist of the 25 year old photos the car basically looks identical (maybe a tad more rear wing at Riverside!).

Incredible - mind you Pete must know that car like the proverbial back of his hand. Wonder how many other GP cars have been owned by the same person for 35 years and still raced?

Thanks Frank for the pictures.

P.S. And it is always nice to see a Lotus leading a veritable pack of those blue things from the woodyard (just kidding!)

#9 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 13:40

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Nice link here to the Lovely-Lotus story (sorry for the alliteration, couldn't resist :blush: )

Yes, but unfortunately this story is rather inaccurate!

The car sold by Lotus to Lovely was indeed 49/11, which in a previous incarnation had been 49/2, as driven at Zandvoort (not Spa! :rolleyes: ) in 1967 by Clark. This was not the car driven by Hill to victory at Monaco, that was 49/10. Pete thought he was buying an ex-Hill car, the one he had seen Hill driving in Mexico 68, but Chapman pulled the wool over his eyes and sold him 49/11 because 11 is a big number in the Lovely family (his wife was born at 11 on the 11th day of the 11th month or something similar and her name Nevele is eleven backwards! :) )

Neither did this 'clerical error' come to light as a result of talking to various mechanics and historians, in fact it was just the one historian (yours truly :D ) and one mechanic (Alan McCall, IIRC). Apparently McCall had said years ago to Pete that this was his old car, because he recognised some work he had done on the tub in 1967, when he was JC's mechanic. I only found this out later when I spoke to Pete, but it was detailed study of photographic evidence while researching my Lotus 49 book that led me to conclude that this was the Zandvoort Clark car. Needless to say Pete was pretty chuffed when he found out!!! :lol:

Ironically, the story broke before my 49 book was published because of an innocent conversation Pete had with a reporter on the New York Star (I think) who then filed a story saying that Jim Clark's long lost Zandvoort winner had been found. This would probably have hardly registered on the Richter scale in the UK but what happened was that the story reached Haymarket title Motor Sport and before I knew what was happening I had Marcus Pye on the telephone quizzing me about the story and saying they were going to run a piece in the next issue :eek: . All my plans to break the news gently to Clive Chapman (owner of 49/10, previously believed to be descended from Clark's Zandvoort winner) went out of the window as Marcus had already rung Clive to ask him if he had any comment on the story :rolleyes: Needless to say the atmosphere was a little chilly when I finally went up to Norfolk to explain my findings to Clive but to be fair to him, he listened to what I had to say, looked at the photos and agreed that I was right. :cool:

Nice to hear people enquiring about Pete. He is a real enthusiast's enthusiast and has a mass of hilarious stories that he can recount about his racing years that I could listen to for hours - if it wasn't for the fact that transatlantic telephone calls can be rather expensive :lol:

Michael

#10 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 15:21

Originally posted by Ruairidh

P.S. And it is always nice to see a Lotus leading a veritable pack of those blue things from the woodyard (just kidding!)

It may not have been actually leading them as such ;)

Great pics Frank - as always.

Here's a couple more of Pete and the car at Monterey:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Neil

#11 Dennis Hockenbury

Dennis Hockenbury

• 669 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 15:23

Michael, if I remember the story of 49/11-49/2 from your 'Lotus 49' book correctly, Pete Lovely had actually sold the car to a gentlemen who subsequently died. During this period, you identified 49/11 as originally being 49/2 and perhaps because of this new information, Lovely was able retain the car from the deceased owner by refunding the purchase price through agreement with his heirs.

Man, that would be like winning the Lottery.

#12 Michael Oliver

Michael Oliver

• 1,070 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 15:39

Originally posted by Dennis Hockenbury
Michael, if I remember the story of 49/11-49/2 from your 'Lotus 49' book correctly, Pete Lovely had actually sold the car to a gentlemen who subsequently died. During this period, you identified 49/11 as originally being 49/2 and perhaps because of this new information, Lovely was able retain the car from the deceased owner by refunding the purchase price through agreement with his heirs.

Man, that would be like winning the Lottery.

Hi Dennis

That's not quite correct - Pete regained ownership of the car from the Mayman estate in 1997 and I told him about the Clark/Zandvoort link sometime early-to-mid-1999. However, I bet he is pretty glad that he did get the car back, all the same :eek:

As you say, like winning the Lottery. Come to think of it, perhaps I should ask for a slice of the profits if he sells it since my research probably increased its market value a bit ;)

#13 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 20:19

Originally posted by Option1
It may not have been actually leading them as such ;)

Neil

You are right - but I can hope :rotfl:

Great Pictures Neil, thanks for posting.

#14 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 05 November 2003 - 20:21

Originally posted by Michael Oliver

Yes, but unfortunately this story is rather inaccurate!

Michael

Mea Culpa :blush: :blush:

It read accurately enough that I thought the link to the story was worth posting without checking.

Sorry all.

#15 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 07:37

I don't have my "archives" at hand, but didn't Pete Lovely at one stage attach the back end of his Lotus 49 to a Formula 2 Lotus 69 chassis, in an effort to create a more modern car ? ( maybe inspired by the March 721 G idea ). I'm fairly sure that this "custom made" F1 car was used for at least one of his '70's US GP entries.

#16 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 08:06

Ok I just found it . He raced this 69/49 at the 1971 Canadian and US GP's.....which means that his idea of attaching a Cosworth back end to a Formula 2 chassis was NOT inspired by the March 721 G , (which appeared mid-72 , after the failure of the "normal" 721 and of course of the infamous 721-X ) but that it might well rather be the other way round !!!

#17 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 06 November 2003 - 16:24

I've seen Pete at an event or two here in So. CA... driving a '69 427 Corvette IIRC, at Fontana.

In case he stops by, he might get a kick out of this shot. One taken prior to stepping into all that shiny paint and polished tubing.

Posted Image

#18 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 00:33

Whilst roaming round the paddock at Brands Hatch at the British GP in 1970 my mates and I came across an unusually large gathering around Pete Lovely's encampment. The centre of interest was not the Lotus 49 nor Pete himself but a helper who was polishing the car. We stayed for quite a while as the helper looked just like the legendary Linda Vaughn! Can anyone confirm if the Queen of Race Queens was one of the Lovely entourage?

John

#19 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 00:47

Originally posted by humphries
Whilst roaming round the paddock at Brands Hatch at the British GP in 1970 my mates and I came across an unusually large gathering around Pete Lovely's encampment. The centre of interest was not the Lotus 49 nor Pete himself but a helper who was polishing the car. We stayed for quite a while as the helper looked just like the legendary Linda Vaughn! Can anyone confirm if the Queen of Race Queens was one of the Lovely entourage?

John

Using the usual TNF propensity for tenuous connections, and while it's not Linda Vaughn nor Pete Lovely, it is so very tempting to post this shot again as it is at Monterey and it is a car that participated in the same race Pete participated in. :drunk:

Neil

Advertisement

#20 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 14:42

as the great book of Michael OLIVER that I have(no reference to Jackie OLIVER ?),
Peter LOVELY drove 49/R11 in non championship races in 1969/1970/1971.
1969:race of champions Brands hatch:6th/International trophy ;SILVERSTONE:retired:
RIVERSIDE:6th:laguna seca:retired/SEARS POINT:retired:/DONNYBROOKE:10th/
1970:BRANDS HATCH:retired./SILVERSTONE:13th/
1971:questor gp:ontario:Did not start:practise/LAGUNA SECA:6th/SEATLE:5th:7th;

not so bad for a 3l motor!!

#21 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 07 November 2003 - 18:01

Well you asked for Pete Lovely tales and I was delighted to meet pete at Monterey this year and listen avidly to him recount them himself.

Mention of Pete at Brands in 1970 reminds me that he recounted on the last lap he rounded Clearways to find a slowing Jack Brabham in front of him clearly out of fuel, Pete said he seriously thought about giving the Brabham a nudge over the line.

This would have meant Brabham won, beating Rindt, imagine what Chunky would have said about that !

A very nice guy and still driving well too

So who is the Tyrrell mechanic, I saw her in the flesh so to speak and very nice too !

#22 WDH74

WDH74

• 1,360 posts

Posted 08 November 2003 - 04:06

I believe I said "excuse me" to Pete Lovely while trying to take a picture of his Lotus in the HGP display at Road America last year. Naturally I had no idea it was his car!
-William

#23 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:38

Hi - my first TNF post

Does anyone have memories or photos of the Lotus 69 Pete Lovely modified for the US GP in the early seventies?

#24 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:47

Hello Bill

No pictures I'm afraid but this thread could be a good start . The "hybrid" 69/49 car gets a mention ( by me :blush: ) but not much more ....

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=63262

#25 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:52

Good old Google Images (lotus 69 lovely)
Scroll down. Another (different!) one here

#26 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,052 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 12:57

Originally posted by Frank de Jong
Good old Google Images (lotus 69 lovely)
Scroll down. Another (different!) one here

I don't see any Pete Lovely there, Frank...

But I do see a picture of a Lotus 43 that's supposed to be at Monaco but is surely at Spa or the Nurburgring or Reims.

#27 Frank de Jong

Frank de Jong

• 1,830 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 14:04

Between the 72E and the 56B :|
A little further than halfway down.
Or here
The second picture looks a bit weird.

#28 bill patterson

bill patterson

• 154 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 14:39

The nose arrangement would remind you of a F2 Chevron B18. If I remember correctly the 69 did not have enough fuel capacity and would had to have pitted - predating Brabham's strategy for the BT52!!

#29 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 14:45

Originally posted by Ray Bell

I don't see any Pete Lovely there, Frank...

Try this, Ray.
http://images.google.....us 49" lovely

#30 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 15:01

But I do see a picture of a Lotus 43 that's supposed to be at Monaco

No, the final column denotes the car's first race. It's not a descrition of the photo location.

... but is surely at Spa or the Nurburgring or Reims.

None of those. It's either Watkins Glen or Mexico City. As there's grass visible beside the track, I'd go for Watkins Glen!

#31 Keir

Keir

• 5,241 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 15:36

Pete was a real throwback to the amateur drivers of the past, who trailered their own rigs to all the races.

I have a pic on my hard drive of Pete loading his car on the back of a VW Transporter. I call it "A Lovely Sight!"

#32 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 16:02

Originally posted by Vitesse2

No, the final column denotes the car's first race. It's not a descrition of the photo location.

None of those. It's either Watkins Glen or Mexico City. As there's grass visible beside the track, I'd go for Watkins Glen!

I'm sure it's Watkins Glen. But why, in this photo, is Clark wearing no mask, and why is the angle of the sun so different? seems to be the same corner. Practice and race?

http://fotos.iher.ne...rk Lotus 43.jpg

#33 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,259 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 16:39

Originally posted by Vitesse2

I'm sure it's Watkins Glen. But why, in this photo, is Clark wearing no mask, and why is the angle of the sun so different? seems to be the same corner. Practice and race?

http://fotos.iher.ne...rk Lotus 43.jpg

#34 JB Miltonian

JB Miltonian

• 548 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 17:56

I had lunch with Pete a couple of months ago, and had a nice visit with him at his shop. He still has the 69 and the 49. I'm afraid I've forgotten the details of the story, but I know that he did have the drivetrain of the 49 installed in the back of the 69 at one time. I could ask him about it. He loves to share his memories of those "good old days".

#35 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 18:55

Pete Lovely, the driver of the Lotus 49 and Lotus 69, is himself 79 this year, and still racing. He's entered in his Lotus Eleven at Monterey next weekend, and as mentioned, always ready to chat.

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

#36 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 21:34

;)

He's the youngest 79 year old I've ever met! He's got an awful lot energy and he's still sharp as a razor!

#37 R.W. Mackenzie

R.W. Mackenzie

• 373 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 01:50

If I do this right the link below will connect to a picture I took in the paddock at Mosport during the 1971 Canadian GP weekend. It shows Pete in the 69/49.

http://img225.images...3/lovely6ef.png

Bob Mackenzie

#38 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:34

1952, Torrey Pines, Pete Lovely of Seattle:

Posted Image

#39 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 03:59

Try:

http://pacificnwraci...com/waroadsters

and then scroll down to "Pete Lovely, #55..."

Pete in his track roadster days, circa late '40's, early 50's, Aurora Speedway, Seattle, etc. Len Sutton in the Rolla Vollstedt car won championships in this kind of racing before moving on.

Are we getting off topic?...oh well!

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C., Canada

Advertisement

#40 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 14:00

At various times in the eighties Pete brought either his 49 or 69 to Westwood for the Historic races. Lovely guy. I went down to his shop in Tacoma in the late seventies and he still had the Testa Rossa he raced at Sebring.
David B

#41 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,295 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:53

Anyone know anything about this car?

http://forix.com/cma...&c=49&p=158&o=1

It looks quite different from the normal 69 (f2 car)

http://www.motorspor...pic101_h300.jpg

#42 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:56

F1 car ??? :confused:

#43 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,571 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:56

looks like an F2 car in the pic.....

#44 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 09:59

Pity I can't see the forix stuff

#45 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,538 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:10

I can't get into FORIX either but I guess you're referring to Pete Lovely's Lotus 69/49 which was the rear end of his F1 49 attached to the front half of his F2 69. It ran in a GP which is why I imagine it appears on FORIX.

Allen

#46 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:45

That WOULD be an interesting pic !!

#47 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,774 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 10:49

I can get into FORIX and Allen's right. It is Pete Lovely's Lotus 69.

Try these two threads for some more details:

http://forums.autosp...te Lovely Lotus

http://forums.autosp...te Lovely Lotus

:)

#48 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:06

Posted Image

#49 TennisUK

TennisUK

• 21,295 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:18

Originally posted by Allen Brown
I can't get into FORIX either but I guess you're referring to Pete Lovely's Lotus 69/49 which was the rear end of his F1 49 attached to the front half of his F2 69. It ran in a GP which is why I imagine it appears on FORIX.

Allen

It does have an entirely different looking nosewing to the original 69 f2 car as well. Quite an ugly looking contraption...

#50 macoran

macoran

• 3,989 posts

Posted 19 March 2006 - 11:43

Thanks Twinny

.....contraption or not good on Pete for getting the DFV(stressed) matched to the 69 chassis