Photo

Count Gughi Zanon

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 14:23

Does anyone have any information about Count Googhie Zanon? I know he helped Ronnie Peterson financially during his Grand Prix career, but he seemed quite anonymous about it.

Are there any pictures of him around, who else did he help out, is he still with us?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Advertisement

#2 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 09 November 2003 - 23:59

Cant say Ive ever seen a pic, but didnt he also support Michele Alboreto? and wasnt Micheles hero Ronni?

#3 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 01:35

Didn't he also help sponsor Lella lombardi?

#4 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 06:23

Thanks for your input guys, he still has this air of mystery about him. He seems to have invested quite a lot of money fo no commercial gain in any way.
The search on google sheds little or no light on the situation , only four different ways of spelling 'Googhie'!
I took my refrence from Ronnie Peterson- Superswede by Alan Henry.

More info. anybody?

#5 Geoff E

Geoff E

• 1,531 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 08:24

His wife was owner of Lavazza, the company which sponsored Lombardi.

He appears to be dead - check paragraph "Il Tridente":- http://www.barchetta...lassic---story/

#6 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 11:26

Aha - and Lavazza were coffee makers werent they??

#7 Pils1989

Pils1989

• 1,111 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 12:04

Originally posted by ghinzani
Aha - and Lavazza were coffee makers werent they??

They still do:)

#8 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 10 November 2003 - 15:28

Count Zanon succumbed to cancer about three or four years ago. Very nice man with a fine taste in cars if a rather 'American' idea of how they should best be restored. Spent his last years heavily scarred and speech affected by jaw surgery.

DCN

#9 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 17:19

Count 'Gughi' Zanon di Valgiurata was indeed as Doug says a great Gentleman in the true sense of the word and deserves a firm place in Formula 1 history as without his assistance we may never have seen the likes of Ronnie, Michelle and Stefan. He also had considerable involvement with Frank Williams in the earlier years and, little known, helped further the carrer of Ayrton Senna.

Gughi certainly deserves a longer thread but was such a quiet and modest man that few knew of the help he gave.

We were honoured to meet Count Zanon through his involvement with Historic F1 cars as he owned and drove quite expertly a turbo Ferrari and full ground effect Williams FWO8. Through our friendship we were invited to stay at his magnificent home on Cap Ferrat during the Monaco Grand Prix. In those days the GP had a free day on friday and sponsorship commitments were not as they are now so Gughi would throw a party for his friends, the drivers. I remember so vividly one party when after everyone had gone the front gates opened to admit one last taxi, who should appear but Senna. Typically he had not wanted to join in the throng but we were able to spend a couple of hours sitting around the pool listening to the great man talking. It was this year that he destroyed Prost in qualifying and had his 'out of body experience'. The affection for Gughi from Ayrton was very clear and chatting later one of the reasons was revealed. When Ayrton was trying to get out of his Toleman contract, and indeed was suspended from the Italian Grand Prix he needed to buy his way out and Gughi helped with this. But for that who knows what might not have been ?

Gughi certainly helped fund Ronnie's career both at March and later at Lotus when, essentially Gughi bought Ronnie the drive and the money went to pay Andretti's salary, what a twist of fate.

As is well know Alboreto modelled his helmet design on that of SuperSwede, partly through the connection with Gughi. Indeed Zanon said he was more delighted when Michele won in Vegas as he had influenced the Italians career more than the Swedes as Ronnie clearly had more talent. Of course it was Gughi who supplied the DFVs to Ken Tyrrell.

Zanon did the same for Frank, they were in many ways kindred spirits and the Italians money did a lot to help establish Williams in the early days. It was a pity they fell out later when Gughi was trying to put Alboreto in a Williams and thought he had a deal but Frank, ever his own man believed Patrese (another great gentleman) was a better bet.

The Lavazza connection is correct and ironic that Lella herself died of cancer too.

A really nice man whose place in Formula 1 history should not be forgotten

#10 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 17:23

The important point is that Vittorio died, he was Gughis brother who also raced and collected cars, I have lost touch now and it may well be that Gughi is indeed still with us, I will try to find out unless Doug is clear ?

#11 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,534 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 19:34

No David not at all - maybe I'm in a complete muddle yet again....very probably so these days... :rolleyes:

DCN

#12 BANZAI

BANZAI

• 100 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 21:13

Thank you David for your excellent and informative contribution on Count Zanon.

It sounds that he was a true racing enthusiast who had the money to indulge in his passion. His contribution to Grand Prix racing has certainally been overlooked by many for some reason.

Thanks for all the replys.

#13 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 18:17

According to last week’s „Motorsport aktuell“ (Nr. 45, 01 Nov 2005, p. 3) Gughi Zanon died in Turin recently, 78 years old.

Has anyone of our Italian friends read an obituary in an Italian newspaper or magazine?

#14 rikkivonopel

rikkivonopel

• 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 18:35

Originally posted by ReWind
According to last week’s „Motorsport aktuell“ (Nr. 45, 01 Nov 2005, p. 3) Gughi Zanon died in Turin recently, 78 years old.

Has anyone of our Italian friends read an obituary in an Italian newspaper or magazine?

There's a nice 2 pages service in last Autosprint.

#15 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 18:50

With birth and death dates?

#16 rikkivonopel

rikkivonopel

• 8 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 19:07

Unfortunately no, important to say also that he helped among others Jacques Laffite on Ligier and he helped Paolo Barilla on Porsche 956 Joest in 1985 Le Mans (and Barilla was the winner!)

#17 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 19:33

Originally posted by David Force

It was a pity they fell out later when Gughi was trying to put Alboreto in a Williams and thought he had a deal but Frank, ever his own man believed Patrese (another great gentleman) was a better bet.

The real shame was that Frank didn't sign up both Italians - both were better bets than Thierry IMO.

#18 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 08 November 2005 - 20:14

There might be some confusion here : Ghughi Zanon helped Ronnie Petersen, but his cousin Count Vittorio Zanon was the one who helped Michele Alboretto.
I knew Vittorio very well and visited him often in Turin. The family originally were Venetian bankers who decided in the late 19th century to move to Turin where the industrial action seemed to be. They were very successful and I think they owned one of the big insurance companies.
Vittorio had an interesting collection of cars and I remember going out for a run with him in a beautiful Lancia Astura cabriolet with coachwork by Castagna.
Vittorio succumbed to throat cancer, I believe, about eight years ago. He owned one of the original Lancia D24 sports cars that he had totally restored and commissioned a book with some wonderful grauvure photographs in it of the restoration and the finished car. What made the car interesting, he told me, was that it was proved pretty well beyond doubt as the car that Felice Bonetto had been killed in at the Pan American Road Race and when it was rebuilt at the factory they changed the chassis number as Alberto Ascari was still in the team and was very supersticious. In his book he shows photographs of where the number was changed. He was an absolutely charming man and was a great friend of another Italian collector Gino Macaluso who is President of Girard Perregaux watches. As Gino went to University with Luca Montezemolo it perhaps also explains why Girard Perregaux produce these wonderful Ferrari watches.

Graham Gauld

#19 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 00:04

:cool:

Excellent stuff Graham, love your books!

Advertisement

#20 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:00

Graham would this have been Vittorio?

Zanon entered his A6GCS for the 1984(?) Mille Miglia Retro, the engine died a day before and the car never made it anywhere near Brescia. But in the Mille Miglia Year Book there is the car in the photo at signing on. You don’t have to look very close to see that’s its an appallingly bad superimposed shot of the car. I don’t think that it will ever fool historians in years to come.

I guess it was someone well meaning with good intentions but its really rather embarrassing.

#21 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,221 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:43

Andrew

It is quite possible it could have been Vittorio but he did not own an A6GCS when I first visited him about twelve years ago.

Graham

#22 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 05:57

My notes for the 1984 Mille Miglia say only "Count Zanon"
The car in question was apparently ex-Andrew Fellowes :cool:

#23 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 753 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 22:23

Sprung! :blush:

-I dont think Zanon kept it long. David you might like to know that I think #2087 had been driven by Guyot at Le Mans, the record books say otherwise but photos of the event clearly show an A6GCS and not a 200S as listed, -the name Guyot had been scratched in a couple of places on the car.

Sorry way off topic!

#24 David Force

David Force

• 287 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 12:26

Graham has far greater knowledge than ever I could wish for but I do believe that Gughi was very involved with Alboretto and indeed have this on authority from Frank W also. I was in fact present when Gughi clasped Michelle by the shoulders and willed him not to continue in Formula1 with the Scuderia Italia no-hopers merely because he couldn't face the prospect of leaving Formula 1 for good.
Sad that this great Italian benefactor and enthusiast has passed away but no doubt is already exchanging tales with Michelle, Lella and Ronnie...

#25 bvalgiurata

bvalgiurata

• 4 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:38

It has come to me as a real surprise,brought in by a close friend, to see so many people remembering my father, Count Gughi Zanon di Valgiurata. He passed away nearly a year ago already, but to me and my family, as well as number of F1 passionate additcts, his absence is deeply regretted. I am so grateful to all of you because as you may know, to remember is to feel him still close...Thank you to all of you, specially to David and Graham, I probably met you on the tracks around the world or , for David in southern France; there has been always some confusion between, my father and his cousin,but close friend Vittorio, sharing a passion for driving and speed, though Vittorio was indeed more into historic cars,whereas my father since the beginning more into F1. They were often talking about cars and organising tours on circuits together, but my father enjoyed especially the chance of discovering a raw , new talent and helping him (her,for Lella) to reach their dream: for this exceptional quality he should certainly be remembered!!
As for myself, I could write my memories on tracks and people in F1 for ..long time, I can see myself still touring in Castelet, Misano, meeting and sharing victories and extraordinary characters, close friends and sadness and tragedy as well.. all this making as my father use to say "the great Circus of F1". That world has unluckily , changed quite a bit, since the financial part of the game is enormous, some of the real challenge is gone...
Anyway , it has been a pleasure to revive all this world for me, so long to everybody
Barbara

#26 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 14:33

Originally posted by bvalgiurata

As for myself, I could write my memories on tracks and people in F1 for ..long time, I can see myself still touring in Castelet, Misano, meeting and sharing victories and extraordinary characters, close friends and sadness and tragedy as well.. all this making as my father use to say "the great Circus of F1". That world has unluckily , changed quite a bit, since the financial part of the game is enormous, some of the real challenge is gone...
Anyway , it has been a pleasure to revive all this world for me, so long to everybody
Barbara

For the reasons you mention, and to honored your father's passion. Really write this book.
First of all, in that way we will know is real influence in the history of this sport.
I've learnt only in this forum, that he paid for the Ronnie's place in Lotus.
And if I am not wrong your father in the Italian press was not mentioned like he deserve.

MonzaDriver.

#27 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,584 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 15:54

Barbara,

Thank you for your reply here. I hope you will consider to keep at least some of your many recollections vivid on paper or any other media.

Regards,

#28 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,410 posts

Posted 18 September 2006 - 17:20

Barbara,

would you mind giving the life dates of your late father to us?
I would like to put them into this thread.

Mille grazie

#29 bvalgiurata

bvalgiurata

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 07:52

Thank you for your comments and replies.. some of you are right..I should write them so they won't be lost.. I forgot to point out also that my father had certainly helped the drivers and "discovered" a few, but became a close friend with number of team manager and helped them through rough times..(Frank,Colin,Max,Guy,Ken,...even the Commendatore Enzo Ferrari) always in aprivate low profile manner
As the dates, he was born in Biella on 21rst of november 1927 and passed away on 16th october 2005 in Turin and as someone said , we believe he is up there having a circle of friends around him, Ronnie, Michele, Ayrton ,Colin, Elio,Lella,Enzo...remebering those dashing years and wonderful drivers..!My best and warm regards to you all
Barbara

#30 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 08:09

...some of you are right..I should write them so they won't be lost..

As you say, Barbara, his involvement was of a 'low-profile' nature, and so I think it's essential that you do so in order that future generations can appreciate the subtle part he played in the history of the sport.

Ciao. :wave:

#31 bvalgiurata

bvalgiurata

• 4 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 16:22

I was speaking to my mother this morning and just wanted to say to all of you how deeply moved she was, to hear your comments, and actually she had started doing a collections of letters and messages in 1997, for my father's 70th birthday which he didn't want to celebrate at all... so we managed to organise in may 1998 an open house lunchwe used to have , where he was presented with a collection of writing by all people involved in motor racing who knew him. It was a hard job for my mother and without the help of our long time friend, Giancarlo Falletti, we certainly couldn't do it... so we actually have a big file with all these writings, even from people we had lost touch with, Fittipaldi, Andretti, Cheever and so on, giving him some words of true friendship.
So maybe I will start from that file... So long to all of you
Barbara

#32 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 16:26

Barbara:

That is a wonderful idea, put them in a book.

#33 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,998 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 16:26

That would be something nice to publish. Although with all the copyrights laborious to get clearance.

#34 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 17:57

They're copyrights on private letters? You must of gotten sued by Mark McCormick...

#35 ensign14

ensign14

• 61,998 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 18:27

Anything you write is copyright. I have the rights to this post. (Assuming there's not a catch-all waiver in the small print here, which I doubt...)

#36 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 19 September 2006 - 18:46

Thank you for posting here Barbara. It's a pleasure to hear and learn more about your father from you. And please give our best regards to your mother as well.

#37 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:14

Originally posted by ensign14
Anything you write is copyright. I have the rights to this post. (Assuming there's not a catch-all waiver in the small print here, which I doubt...)

She could do a version only for Nostalgia Forum, surely she dont have to care about copyright,
and for the persons who really deserve it.

MonzaDriver

#38 bvalgiurata

bvalgiurata

• 4 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 09:42

Dear all, thank you for your ideas, I will collect info on copyrights and start from that... Monza driver I love your daughter's comments... when I first drove F1 Williams I thought the car, a jewel was either on rails, or glued on the road by some giant hands... so I understand... hanks to Andretti's fan greetings, I will transmit 2 my mother as well, any chance you might be Mario undercover? haven't seen you for ages....
I have toured also some italian forum with some uncorrect words on my father but got a bit upset with what someone was defining his involvement with Ayrton " a j0ke, since I knew Ayrton well and his place on Toleman was negotiated by his father" or " this is bulshit, Ayrton's house didn't show the silver plates for the pole position he gained that Gughi Zanon supposedly gave him"....
so iI think I will stick with you guys and this forum... Arrivederci
Barbara

#39 MonzaDriver

MonzaDriver

• 424 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:48

Dear all, thank you for your ideas, I will collect info on copyrights and start from that... Monza driver I love your daughter's comments... when I first drove F1 Williams I thought the car, a jewel was either on rails, or glued on the road by some giant hands... so I understand... hanks to Andretti's fan greetings, I will transmit 2 my mother as well, any chance you might be Mario undercover? haven't seen you for ages....
I have toured also some italian forum with some uncorrect words on my father but got a bit upset with what someone was defining his involvement with Ayrton " a j0ke, since I knew Ayrton well and his place on Toleman was negotiated by his father" or " this is bulshit, Ayrton's house didn't show the silver plates for the pole position he gained that Gughi Zanon supposedly gave him"....
so iI think I will stick with you guys and this forum... Arrivederci
Barbara

Dear Barbara thank you for appreciate my dougther's words.

About the comments you read in other forums, I am Italian and unfortunately I recognize pretty well the superficiality and the narrowness of mind of Italian enthusiasts. I have no words.
The difference between Italian enthusiasts and this forum, is more or less, like the difference between the sun and the moon.
So I can assure you that your memories and your father's ones will be taken in account, read,
and discussed with the most high respect.
Your choose about this forum is the right one. Thank you in advance.

MonzaDriver.

Advertisement

#40 Andretti Fan

Andretti Fan

• 393 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 14:08

No... definately not Mario under cover, but he's always been a big hero to me, as was Ronnie Peterson. As a young teen, these two men defined "racer" to me.

#41 SconDid

SconDid

• 1 posts

Posted 29 January 2007 - 05:51

Just a note on Count Zanon. Our local newspaper in Elmira, N.Y. (near the Glen) did a story on Jan. 27, 2007 about an area pilot, Paul Heim, who flew for the Count during his F1 days (while working under cover for the U.S. CIA!). The story about Heim's CIA exploits is quite intriguing (Count Zanon was aware of his CIA involvement) but as an F1 fan I was amazed to hear a person in our small town was in some way connected to Count Zanon.
Anyway, some people on this thread were asking about a picture of the Count and the Star-Gazette published one with the two stories that were written. The photo shows the Count standing with Heim next to Heim's corporate jet with Jackie and Helen Stewart, and Emmo and his wife. The photo can be purchased through the newspaper for any one interested. The stories stay on its Web site for just one week and the photo for a couple of months.
You can access the site at www.stargazette.com. On the left side of the opening page go to photo galleries and scroll down to Extraordinary People - Paul Heim. The stories can be found by going to Sunday's archives and going to the Twin Tiers Life section. There are two stories on Heim (there is only a small mention about Count Zanon but the CIA stuff is pretty good reading). The stories are only available for one week.
FYI- I work part time for the newspaper and write a weekly racing column (Thursday's) but I did not contribute to this work.
Ron

#42 Thundersports

Thundersports

• 612 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 00:03

Intriguing thread that went cold...................

#43 Sterzo

Sterzo

• 5,084 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 16:52

Thank you for bumping it. Fascinating.

#44 sstiel

sstiel

• 400 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 19:45

Hello,

Is Guighie's daughter Barbara still around? I may need her help.

#45 pierrre

pierrre

• 173 posts

Posted 15 May 2021 - 06:08

great thread, a book is certainly worthy for such a man who lived his passion