Photo

Rothmans 50,000 Brands Hatch 1972

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#1 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 21:03

..prompted by a current thread on some obscure F5000 drivers I came upon Allen Brown's web site and, in particular, the entry list for the Rothmans £50,000 held at Brands in 1972.

Basically this was a Formula Libre race in the grand sense with, as the title suggests, a seriously large purse. Emmo took a shade under three hours to win, completing 118 Laps and, no doubt, made Chapman a happy man.

The entry list makes fascinating reading. James Hunt made a name for himself finishing 5th in his March 722, although Gerry Birrell was a place ahead at the end and first F2 car home. Jody Scheckter and Alan Jones were also F2-mounted but fared less well. Alan Rollison (subject of another current thread) rumbled home 7th in the first of the F5000 cars.

Mixing it with this lot were Mario Casoni's effective Lola T280 (Bob Wollek made less of an impression that day in his sports Lola) , various F5000 regulars including the less notable eg Clive Santo and Pierre Soukry and even a Mallock U2 ! Robs Lamplough was there in the ageing BRM P133 and Francois Migault had a go in the Connew. Oh yes, there were also a Porsche 908, but Chris Craft's 917 failed to appear.

A surreal entry list and surely one of the most unusual adventures in British motor racing history. So were any of you good people there ? How on earth was the whole thing conceived and was there ever any suggestion of a follow up event ?.

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 21:12

Autosport did a good job of hyping the race that year. I thought that it would be interesting event to watch, but I was still in (grad) school here in the States and no hope of whisking over for just one event.

If I get time, I will see what I have done with the entry list. As Bill has stated, it was not your usual entry list....

But, it did give folks an idea of What Could Have Been had certain things not been moreorless (temporarily) resolved in the Grand Prix World.

#3 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,549 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 22:57

Bill - I was there for the practice days but my presence was not required on race day. :(

#4 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 27 November 2003 - 23:31

Originally posted by Barry Boor
Bill - I was there for the practice days but my presence was not required on race day. :(

... so we missed each other by a day Barry. I was there for the race.

I remember it as a bit processional, since Emerson just disappeared into the distance, leaving everyone else to contest the minor placings.

We have actually had no fewer than three previous threads on this race:

http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=11227
http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=36505
http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=15234

#5 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 08:17

Originally posted by Barry Boor

I believe that engine problems "conned" you out of a start. Sorry.

OK I have resurrected a previous thread but I'm still interested. I believe Lotus refuelled the 72 during the race..was this a churn and funnel job or did Chapman go down the innovative/questionable/dangerous route for this technique?.

Incidentally BRM solved the problem by bloating their cars out to accomodate over 60 gallons of fuel. Given Seppi's fiery death (in a BRM) at the same circuit some 10 months earlier this seems to have been a very brave decision. I imagine that, as a BRM driver, you would have given Paddock your full attention on the first lap....

A couple of other points. Surreal though this race was you would have probably checked the origins of your tobacco when a fleet of Ford Consul GTs wafted onto the circuit for their debut as a support race. Oh yes, before the pedants get me, Wollek was in a Chevron and not a Lola on this day. Mea culpa.

#6 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,120 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 13:20

I've also been fascinated by this event, it being the year before I really started getting keen. If you look on 10/10ths there's a very long thread about it, some pictures too. can anyone imagine anything like this today?? Not much hope I feel, with egos/moneys involved nowadays.

I realise I'm a dinosaur, but however did racing cope in those days with no Marketing Consultants, Technical Directors, Aerodynamicists, Sponsor Liaison Executives, PR professionals or Team Principals involved.

Must have been an awfully dull world...

#7 2F-001

2F-001

• 4,245 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 13:55

They have Spin Doctors too... a.k.a. traction control programmers...

I recall the Rothmans 50,000 quite well (will post something later, when I've done a little work...).
I do remember being mildly amused that Rothmans were handing over a sizeable cheque to John Player.

#8 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 14:24

Originally posted by bill moffat

I
A couple of other points. Surreal though this race was you would have probably checked the origins of your tobacco when a fleet of Ford Consul GTs wafted onto the circuit for their debut as a support race. Oh yes, before the pedants get me, Wollek was in a Chevron and not a Lola on this day. Mea culpa.

It's a matter of debate as to which Consul GTs were driven more energetically - the ones in this race, or the ones in The Sweeney. Any truth in the rumour that this car's successor, the Granada S, was fitted with firmer suspension because the sight of the Consul flopping about on the telly every Monday night was off-putting to potential customers?

#9 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 14:36

OK I have resurrected a previous thread but I'm still interested. I believe Lotus refuelled the 72 during the race..was this a churn and funnel job or did Chapman go down the innovative/questionable/dangerous route for this technique?.

According to Michael Oliver's 72 book an additional fuel tank was fitted behind Emerson's seat to provide enough capacity to complete the distance without needing to refuel.

#10 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 14:57

It may have been 30 years ago but the thought of Lotus and BRM re-designing their cars mid Grand Prix season for the benefit of a one-off (albeit lucrative) race...the mind boggles. These days a radical in-season innovation is a 50p-sized triangle of carbon fibre stuck on an end plate somewhere, not adding 20 gallons of fuel tank....

Incidentally, with the loss of Magny Cours there is conceivably a gap in the F1 calendar next July. I was at Brands for the rallycross a couple of weeks ago and the circuit is in pretty fine shape. The F1 teams will be in the UK, the F3000 boys could do with some publicity and Audi and Bentley have some LM machinery gathering dust. I'm sure the Caterhams would fancy a go.

I reckon an F1 car should be approaching the 1 minute lap so we could cone off Clearways and Surtees and re-live the old Brooklands handicap system with Mini 7's racing on level terms using the Indy circuit. See you in Kent next year !

#11 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 17:31

gentlemen who assist to the trials or to the race ,does any of you could confirm

that the PORSCHE 908 of Tony DEAN did not trial and what about the PORSCHE 917

of David PIPER: did this make trials.

Have you some photos of one of these cars during this race?

And a photo of Mario CASONI LOLA T 280 ?

Thanks in advance.

#12 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,704 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 17:47

Try This thread . I think that's the one the search turned up several threads

#13 Roger Clark

Roger Clark

• 7,507 posts

Posted 28 November 2003 - 23:40

It may have been 30 years ago but the thought of Lotus and BRM re-designing their cars mid Grand Prix season for the benefit of a one-off (albeit lucrative) race...the mind boggles. These days a radical in-season innovation is a 50p-sized triangle of carbon fibre stuck on an end plate somewhere, not adding 20 gallons of fuel tank....

Fittipaldi only had 3 extra gallons

#14 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 July 2004 - 22:46

Originally posted by 2F-001
I do remember being mildly amused that Rothmans were handing over a sizeable cheque to John Player.

As was I!

But not half as much as I was two months later, when John Player - at the 'John Player Victory Race' - had to hand out the winner's cheque to Jean Pierre Beltoise of Marlboro BRM!

Afterwards, J-PB kindly wrote me a cheque for being such a loyal and avid BRM fan...

Posted Image

..and even though I didn't know the cameraman he tried to get me more money, whilst the other bloke helped by checking Beltoise wrote the correct date.

Oh, and he mentioned that he liked my shirt. :eek:

Twinny

(NB There are certain statements within this post which are factually inaccurate. Actually, almost all of them. :))

#15 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 07:18

Could be reason neither of these races were ever held again?

#16 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 13:00

Originally posted by Rob29
Could be reason neither of these races were ever held again?

What - Twinny's shirt?

#17 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 21 July 2004 - 13:56

Originally posted by Allen Brown
What - Twinny's shirt?

No I meant that twice the sponsors had to hand the cheque to rival tobacco firms in the same year. I meant that as a joke anyway. In fact Bernie decided that they would support fewer non-championship races,as 2 extra GPs were added in 1973. At least JPS kept the cheque at the British GP also at Brands in 72. Just noticed that -4 races for current F1 teams at the same circuit in the same year(also Race of Champions in March)-did that ever happen before? Certainly not since.

#18 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 06:57

Brands regulars did indeed have 4 opportunities to enjoy seeing top flight F1 cars during the 1972 season. As a BH junkie with a Carlton Corsa at the time, I pedalled off to all 4 events with my one-man tent in my rucksack.

But if there were no Ferraris and/or Matras in the entry list, then the races never really rocked my boat, and that was the case in all three non-Championship events in 1972. Formula Cosworth (with the exception of the BRMs and the F5000 cars) sometimes delivered entertaining racing, but there was undeniably something missing. A bit like strawberries with no cream.

However, the BRMs did make a lovely noise and seeing JPB win the Victory Race in the rain was one of the highlights of my season that year.

Question for the BRM afficianados. Why did the model numbers begin with a P?

Edward.

#19 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:34

Originally posted by SEdward

Project, wasn't it?

Advertisement

#20 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 22 July 2004 - 07:35

Originally posted by SEdward
Brands regulars did indeed have 4 opportunities to enjoy seeing top flight F1 cars during the 1972 season. As a BH junkie with a Carlton Corsa at the time, I pedalled off to all 4 events with my one-man tent in my rucksack.

But if there were no Ferraris and/or Matras in the entry list, then the races never really rocked my boat, and that was the case in all three non-Championship events in 1972. Formula Cosworth (with the exception of the BRMs and the F5000 cars) sometimes delivered entertaining racing, but there was undeniably something missing. A bit like strawberries with no cream.

However, the BRMs did make a lovely noise and seeing JPB win the Victory Race in the rain was one of the highlights of my season that year.

Edward.

P for Project, although in the later years P for Pilbeam would have been appropriate!

#21 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 20:14

Would I be correct in saying that certain rules were "relaxed" for the race?

I didn't go, but my memories include bigger fuel tanks on the two BRMs (was it two?), Brian Redman drilling a hole in his Bell Star helmet so that he could drink his lemonade through a straw in his Yardley-McLaren, Fittipaldi turning it into a bit of a joke by disappearing into the distance and reading a report (Autosport probably) that the F2 cars had several good scraps throughout the afternoon.

Was it televised?

And was David Prophet the only one to make a significant change to his car, in that he fitted a huge rear-wing to his F5000 McLaren M10B?!

Anybody remember?

Mark

#22 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 20:23

I've got the Autosport Rothmans 50,000 supplement somewhere - in a quiet moment I'll dig it out.

#23 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 15 February 2005 - 20:27

Yes, I think I may have it somewhere too Alan - it's finding it that's the problem!

What would make interesting reading is the race report...

Edited by MCS, 23 October 2019 - 20:02.

#24 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 10:17

I picked up a copy of the programme recently (haven't read it in detail yet) - will summarise anything of interest here!

#25 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 11:00

Originally posted by petefenelon
I picked up a copy of the programme recently (haven't read it in detail yet) - will summarise anything of interest here!

Could be quite interesting Pete. In terms of "Did Not Arrives" anyway.

I have often wondered if there were any really unusual entries.

The initial hype made all sorts of suggestions including Group 6 sportscars, Can-Am cars and even "Specials"

Inconceivable in this day and age that anything like the Rothmans 50,000 could ever take place...

Mark

#26 Mohican

Mohican

• 1,966 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 14:17

I well remember a fair number of predictions that Fittipaldi would walk it (which is indeed what happened) - and that the only possible opposition would be either another competitive F1 car (Stewart, Peterson or similar; all of whom failed to appear) - or a Porsche 917/10 which was wiping the floor with the previously all-conquering McLarens in the CanAm series that year.

That would have been worth watching.

#27 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 15:02

Originally posted by MCS

Inconceivable in this day and age that anything like the Rothmans 50,000 could ever take place...

Mark

I wonder if it really is so inconceivable?

Offer enough money, and it could well happen. Money talks, and in this day and age it positively shouts. The cash was one of the reasons why F1 teams entered the 50,000.

You could well see the attraction of it to one of the "impoverished" current F1 teams such as Minardi - they'd love to be in with a serious chance of actually winning something, although I guess Bernie would scratch any prospect of them taking part.

#28 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 16:06

Originally posted by ian senior
...although I guess Bernie would scratch any prospect of them taking part.

Exactly.

Without wishing to be too negative about the present scene... Inconceivable, believe me, unless something dramatically changes.

Mark

#29 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 16 February 2005 - 16:16

There's no fundamental reason why F1 races of any length can't exist these days, given that the formula's blighted by refuelling -- this is one of the many reasons why I don't understand why races have a distance limit and not a time one. Monza (f'rinstance) is barely a "Grand Prix" these days, it's far too short.;)

As for the 'libre' aspect, no, I can't see that ever happening. Partly because none of the other single-seater formulae in Europe are designed for refuelling, partly because I suspect that the rival 'one or two steps below F1' formulae wouldn't want to be shown up by each other ;)

#30 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:07

Alas the programme doesn't have a definitive entry list, so I'll precis Mike Kettlewell's list of runners and riders ... which was published some time before the race and differs a bit from the actual entry! - a few scribbles here on notable differences....

BRM - expected to bring three P160Bs for Beltoise/Gethin/Ganley.
No car for Gethin started.

Lotus - one car for Fittipaldi. "Could be either a Formula One or a Formula Two car -- or even a Colin Chapman concoction especially for this race" (wonder if he meant a 56?....) In fact a 72D with big tanks!

Tyrrell - "Stewart is likely to want to drive.... 005" ....which didn't seem to turn up.

McLaren - Brian Redman, M19

"The incredible Connew PC1-Ford, a Formula One car built on a shoestring by former Surtees designer Peter Connew and friends in their spare time, is due to make its British racing debut. Driver is 27-year-old Frenchman Francois Migault." We've all seen Barry's stories of why it didn't race...

Beuttler - March 721G-Ford

"Another private runner in a Formula One car is France's Herve Bayard. Usually seen in hillclimbs, Bayard runs the ex-Mike Hailwood f5000 Surtees TS8 modified to accept a Cosworth-Ford DVF F1 engine".

Frank Williams - one March for Pescarolo or Pace. Pescarolo in the end

Motul/Rondel - two BT38s for Schenken and Reutemann

Ed Reeves BT38 for Dave Morgan
Uniacke Chemicals BT38 for Richard Scott
Peter Westbury - BT38
ASCA - BT38s for Jaussaud and Adam Potocki
Team Viking BT38 for Tom Belso

Sports Motors/Coca Cola March for Gerry Birrell - rumoured to be using non-homologated Hart alloy block engine.
LEC Refrigeration March for David Purley
Malaysia Singapore Airlines March for Vern Schuppan
James Hunt "hopes to run another F2 March"

Impact-sponsored works M21 - Jody Scheckter

Ford BP Racing GRD 272 - Claude Bourgoignie

Graham McRae unlikely to bring F5000 car but he did!

John Cannon - March 725-Oldsmobile, running without ballast and probably with extra fuel tanks.
Speed International Racing - Surtees TS11 for Gijs van Lennep
Speed Internationla Racing - McLaren M18 for Ray Allen

Alan Brodie/Servis Surtees TS8 for Steve Thompson
McKechnie Lola T300 for Alan Rollinson
Pierre Soukry M10B
WMG Marketing Lola T190 - Ian Ashley

Clive Baker "hopes to have his new Chevron B24-Chevrolet"

Roberta Cowell - Kitchmac Gordon Spice drove it

Works Lola - "will it be a single-seater or a sports car?" - poss. for Frank Gardner.

"Six-litre Ford V8-engined McLaren Special" - Ian Richardson
"Seven-litre McLaren M6B-Chevrolet" - John Jordan

Bernard White/David Piper 917K - driver Chris Craft?

8-litre Lola-Chevy for Carlos Avallone "a machine built under licence in Brazil using mainly Lola F5000 parts".

Ecurie Bonnier Lola T280 for Mario Casoni
Tony Dean - Porsche 908 "if he doesn't bring his F5000 McLaren M14-Chevrolet back from the USA"
Possible "Chris Craft's three litre de Cadenet-Ford" (aka Duckhams)

Works/Barclays Lola T290 - Guy Edwards
Ecurie Bonnier Lola T290 - Gerard Larrousse
Chevron B21 - Bill Tuckett
Chevron B21 - Brian Robinson

#31 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 02:20

To compare reality to Kettlewell's predictions, I recommend Allen's site:
http://www.oldracing...asp?RaceID=R572

Eye-opening!

#32 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 15:26

Amazing - thanks Pete. I never thought of looking on Allen's site.

One chap tried to qualify a Clubmans U2 :eek:

Mark

#33 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 15:41

Originally posted by MCS
Amazing - thanks Pete. I never thought of looking on Allen's site.

One chap tried to qualify a Clubmans U2 :eek:

Mark

Can't be 100% sure it was Clubmans, Mallock occasionally trotted out U2s that complied with other formulae - Atlantic, F2, F3 and FFord U2s turned up on occasion!

#34 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 15:54

Can't be 100% sure it was Clubmans, Mallock occasionally trotted out U2s that complied with other formulae - Atlantic, F2, F3 and FFord U2s turned up on occasion!

Was it Frank Sytner that put an FVC into a Mallock some years later? On a power-to-weight ratio basis, that must have been quite something.

#35 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,184 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:03

To compare reality to Kettlewell's predictions, I recommend Allen's site:
http://www.oldracing...asp?RaceID=R572

Eye-opening!

What's that separate set of the results at the bottom for 'Heat 1' listing Tony Dean as the winner? Was this a consolation race for the non-qualifiers?

#36 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:06

Originally posted by ian senior

Was it Frank Sytner that put an FVC into a Mallock some years later? On a power-to-weight ratio basis, that must have been quite something.

There've been some very scary Mallocks on the hills - bored-out Hart 420s at about 2.5l... Mmmm! :)

#37 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:08

Pete - I'm only assuming it was a Clubmans spec car because the then Clubmans driver Brian Husbands was listed...does seem rather optimistic though really, doesn't it? :lol:

Ian - Yes, indeed. Didn't Sytner put something in a U2 and compete in Libre races with it? Aintree rings a bell - in which case you (or certainly Pete) would probably remember... :confused:

Mark

#38 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:11

Originally posted by dolomite

What's that separate set of the results at the bottom for 'Heat 1' listing Tony Dean as the winner? Was this a consolation race for the non-qualifiers?

Yes, I believe that's right. First outing for Dean in his recently-acquired Brabham.

#39 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:11

I don't remember, but it looks more like a Qualifying race...

Mark

Advertisement

#40 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:12

Originally posted by MCS
Pete - I'm only assuming it was a Clubmans spec car because the then Clubmans driver Brian Husbands was listed...does seem rather optimistic though really, doesn't it? :lol:

Ian - Yes, indeed. Didn't Sytner put something in a U2 and compete in Libre races with it? Aintree rings a bell - in which case you (or certainly Pete) would probably remember... :confused:

Mark

I certainly remember Frank when he was a bit younger and a bit less fearless, couldn't tell you what was in his Mallock though - I'll have a look in Tony Bagnall's excellent Aintree book when I get home!

(His family used to own the Cavern, so there's a strong Liverpool connection!)

#41 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:13

Originally posted by MCS

Mark

It tells you all about this in "The Lone Furrow", which I don't have to hand at present. Frank was doing Libre races to qualify for extra Tarmac championship points. I think he found it a bit of a handful.

#42 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:14

Originally posted by MCS

Mark

I can think of few circuits where I'd back an amateur in a Clubmans' U2 against Emmo, however much weight Emmo's car was carrying ;)

#43 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:23

No heats. Fastest 30 ran in main race.Remaining 19 in Rothmans 100km Consolation race-24laps.Brian Husbands-1599cc U2 Mk11-Ford/Holbay retired lap 17(engine) collected £150.
Curious coment in earlier post that there was no entry list in the programme. I was not there so never saw a prog.But likely they followed the same proceedure as for British GP. Entry lists,results boxes & lap charts were in a separate green printed pull out folder or booklet.

#44 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 16:26

Originally posted by Rob29
No heats. Fastest 30 ran in main race.Remaining 19 in Rothmans 100km Consolation race-24laps.Brian Husbands-1599cc U2 Mk11-Ford/Holbay retired lap 17(engine) collected £150.
Curious coment in earlier post that there was no entry list in the programme. I was not there so never saw a prog.But likely they followed the same proceedure as for British GP. Entry lists,results boxes & lap charts were in a separate green printed pull out folder or booklet.

The programme was rather more like a magazine than the usual early 70s ones, it could well have been a pull-out I suppose.....

Very good historical article (again by Kettlewell) on F5000 in it, too.

#45 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 17:25

The one thing missing from the data on OldRacingCars.com (compiled by Chris Townsend IIRC) is a list of DNAs taken from the entry list. I guess there must have been some cars on that list that did not in fact appear.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Allen

#46 RAP

RAP

• 704 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 19:26

Allen
The entry list was indeed a "pull out". Unusually, on race day spectators got a supplementary list (in qualifying order) of the runners in each race to stick into the pull-out.

From the list on Allen's site there are three cars missing from the 100k "non-qualifiers" race. They all non-started
11. Ray Allen Speed International Racing McLaren M18 Chev 4992cc(Qual next after Santo)
43. Vern Schuppan Malaysia Singapore Airlines March 722 1930cc (Qual after Allen)
36. Mac Daghorn Felday Eng Brabham BT38 Ford 1930cc (Qual after Sourky)

The nonstarters listed on the supplementary "stick in" , and I presume not present as there were only 29 listed for the 100k race, were
2 To be nominated Yardley McLaren M19A 2993cc
37 Jean Pierre Jaussaud ASCA Brabham BT38 Ford 1980cc
38 Adam Potocki ASCA Brabham BT38 Ford 1980cc
50 Bob Evans A McKechnie Rcg Puma HM22A Ford 1598
57 Gerard Larrousse Ec Bonnier Lla T290 Ford 1790cc
58 John Coulter B Howlings Lola T212 Ford 1800cc
59 Ian Richardson McLaren Ford Special 6500
60 John Jordan McLaren M6B Chev 6991
67 Carlos Gaspar Bank Int Portugal Lola T280 ford 2998

Finaly the pull out showed
72 To be nminated Entrant Alan Jones GRD Ford 1598 which I cant see on any list but I just be cross-eyed by now!!
By the way the Mallock was shown as supercharged
RAP

#47 Allen Brown

Allen Brown

• 5,540 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 22:09

Thanks RAP!

Originally posted by RAP
From the list on Allen's site there are three cars missing from the 100k "non-qualifiers" race. They all non-started
11. Ray Allen Speed International Racing McLaren M18 Chev 4992cc(Qual next after Santo)
43. Vern Schuppan Malaysia Singapore Airlines March 722 1930cc (Qual after Allen)
36. Mac Daghorn Felday Eng Brabham BT38 Ford 1930cc (Qual after Sourky)

Puzzling this! Ray Allen started the main race in the #11 McLaren and have him as qualifying 21st (17th places above Santo). Schuppan started the main race in the #42 Malaysia Singapore Airlines March 722 so was #43 a duplicate entry? I have Daghorn down as a reserve entry in Westbury's Brabham and I have got him down as "Did not Practice" rather than DNS.

Originally posted by RAP
The nonstarters listed on the supplementary "stick in" , and I presume not present as there were only 29 listed for the 100k race, were
2 To be nominated Yardley McLaren M19A 2993cc
37 Jean Pierre Jaussaud ASCA Brabham BT38 Ford 1980cc
38 Adam Potocki ASCA Brabham BT38 Ford 1980cc
50 Bob Evans A McKechnie Rcg Puma HM22A Ford 1598
57 Gerard Larrousse Ec Bonnier Lla T290 Ford 1790cc
58 John Coulter B Howlings Lola T212 Ford 1800cc
59 Ian Richardson McLaren Ford Special 6500
60 John Jordan McLaren M6B Chev 6991
67 Carlos Gaspar Bank Int Portugal Lola T280 ford 2998

Thanks very much for these - I'll add them.

Originally posted by RAP
Finaly the pull out showed
72 To be nminated Entrant Alan Jones GRD Ford 1598 which I cant see on any list but I just be cross-eyed by now!!

The #72 car is in there somewhere - Jones finished 20th.

Originally posted by RAP
By the way the Mallock was shown as supercharged
RAP

A supercharged Mallock?! Any idea what he'd been racing that in?

And I found another mistake in my listing. It was the Rothmans 50,000, not the Rothmans £50,000.

Thanks

Allen

#48 MCS

MCS

• 4,700 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:37

Originally posted by Allen Brown
...It was the Rothmans 50,000, not the Rothmans £50,000...

I have a vague memory of the prize fund being $50,000...

Anybody?

Mark

#49 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 08:44

Early publicity (1971) gave £500,000 as the total prize fund with, IIRC, £200,000 going to the winner

#50 conjohn

conjohn

• 487 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 09:16

The report in the Swedish magazine 'Bilsport' has the total prize sum as £50.000, with £10.000 to the winner. The preceding 'Consolation' race had a first prize of £500.