Photo

Transporters

• Please log in to reply
3416 replies to this topic

#3401 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,154 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 23:05

....and to hear the full stories of the Team Lotus 1972 truck accidents from someone who was there (inc.never before published pics) and MUCH more. go to www.lotus72dvd.com !

Edited by Gary C, 08 September 2019 - 09:30.

Advertisement

#3402 jpgp79

jpgp79

• 54 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 17:19

Thanks for the link, a very interesting DVD I ordered right away !!!

#3403 theRocker

theRocker

• 5 posts

Posted 18 November 2019 - 16:22

Hello

over the decades I have taken lots of photos when I visited motorsport related events and sometimes transporters were among them. I have put them on my cloud so you can download them when of interest.

Kind regards,

Helmut

https://www.magentac...hare/fzvr6wf2e3

#3404 colinsays

colinsays

• 126 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 09:53

The 3 lives of THAMES Lotus transporter.

As far as I know Team Lotus adquires 2 Thames Transporter for their Lotus Cortina sqad and later the used the for theit GT and F2 (Lotus 48 GLTL) finally used them for Lotus 73 JPS F3 team

b2702b45b95183708be2f260315f9170o.jpg

57deb6beaa5c34fa9bdaf17beb5e506do.jpg

ed3f1c12ad9245366cecb8d4640d7d16o.jpg

Edited by colinsays, 26 November 2019 - 09:54.

#3405 retriever

retriever

• 552 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 18:39

This topic has been off the boil for a while so hopefully this post might raise some interest. I have always been interested in commercial vehicles as a number of you already know and for the past 35 years or so have been publishing illustrated books on commercial road transport, heavy haulage & plant and construction equipment under the Roundoak imprint and retaileing same via www.nynehead-books.co.uk

For a good number of years I have been following the web hopefully to find a CMC 1/18th scale Fiat RN2 Ferrair Bertoletti for sale at a reasonable price. When they were available some years ago they retailed around the £700.00 mark but now when an example appears on Ebay or similar the asking price is around the £2500.00 level - way over what I am prepared to pay.

However, I have come across a manufacturer called CMR who are marketing a 1/18th scale example at around £270.00. This has been stocked by Diecast retailers in the UK and on the continent. I do not know whether this has been manufactured using the CMC tooling but I have ordered an example based on images featured on retailer's websites and comments from those who have actually purchased an example. I will know on Friday when it arrives whether it lives up to the reviews and how it compares to the aforementioned fantastic CMC model,example.

If anyone on TNF have knowledge of both the CMC and CMR versions maybe they could submit a posting on the matter.

#3406 retriever

retriever

• 552 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 16:18

Further to my last post I went ahead and purchased a CMR RN2 transporter from a UK supplier. It is an impressive model although not featuring all the elements evident on the CMC version. In all probabllity the main castings have been made using the CMC moulds. 

#3407 oldirish

oldirish

• 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2020 - 06:37

Glad you got one! I'm not sure if they used the same molds, but sounds plausible. I bought my CMC transporter when they first came out, back when you could actually get a package deal on the transporter and display case. They are an impressive piece. Enjoy!

#3408 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 04:18

Photos to help, even though crudely taken with my ipad at a friend's collection yesterday.

I suspect this is the CMC version mentioned by retriever.

CMC-Ferrari-transporter-TNF.jpg

and just because....

CMC-Maserati-transporter-TNF.jpg

Stephen

#3409 cooper997

cooper997

• 2,560 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:03

While this topic is on modelled transporters

brm-transporter-01-TNF.jpg

This one's from my own collection and if memory serves correct is a Russian St Petersburg Model of Owen Racing Organisation Leyland. Made back in the 90s and even then hard to get and pretty expensive. Again if memory serves correct, only 2 or 3 were secured by the local Melbourne model shop - this was one Julian tucked away for me at the time. The BRM P57's are a pair of 1/43rd Brumm.

Stephen

#3410 Bob Riebe

Bob Riebe

• 2,342 posts

Posted 26 March 2020 - 23:47

Paddock German GP 1971, seems like it was a busy place.

D-1971.jpg

From another angle

D-1971.jpg

In the top of the first and second pictures what is what looks like an over sized Greyhound bus?

#3411 bradbury west

bradbury west

• 5,786 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 08:56

Perhaps not, but in those days some of the airlines used to have half double deck coaches to carry people around to the planes. It looks a bit long for that, but several racers used those vehicles when they were time expired. Long shot but perhaps a team had something similar built.
Roger Lund

#3412 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 10:07

In the top of the first and second pictures what is what looks like an over sized Greyhound bus?

I'd hazard a guess that is the Goodyear tyre transporter so may well have been a Greyhound, wonder if anyone else has a pic of it ?

Wondering how McLaren manged to get the cab of their truck to tilt without fouling the roof on the rear body forward overhang in the second  ?  :drunk:

#3413 Dipster

Dipster

• 441 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 14:05

I'd hazard a guess that is the Goodyear tyre transporter so may well have been a Greyhound, wonder if anyone else has a pic of it ?

Wondering how McLaren manged to get the cab of their truck to tilt without fouling the roof on the rear body forward overhang in the second  ?  :drunk:

I know that answer! I used to use these Ford D series trucks.

The panel directly above the cab tilted up into the body work giving room for the cab to swing up. A real pain if the truck was fully loaded of course. Funnily enough I only learnt the other week that the D series was offered with a non-tilting cab and extra access panels within the cab to allow maintenance. It seems it was not taken up much! 

#3414 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,154 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 14:40

Here's a nice transporter story, it's a snippet from our Doug Garner interview that didn't make it into the final edit of the Lotus 72 documentary http://lotus72dvd.com
He tells us what it was like to drive the Team truck across the Alps in 1970: https://vimeo.com/135988750

#3415 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,362 posts

Posted 27 March 2020 - 18:35

The panel directly above the cab tilted up into the body work giving room for the cab to swing up. A real pain if the truck was fully loaded of course. Funnily enough I only learnt the other week that the D series was offered with a non-tilting cab and extra access panels within the cab to allow maintenance. It seems it was not taken up much! 

Can imagine if your truck is full of piano's or carpets or house contents that would be a right old game for soldiers ;-)

#3416 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 10,033 posts

Posted Yesterday, 00:21

I have owned one D series, just a traytop. The cab tilt did not eat into much space above so a Luton Peak was not uncommon. 

For their day quite a decent truck. Small and large. I have even seen a Tandem drive tipper version though near certain the chassis had been extended. I drove a single drive 8 ton tipper with a 380 diesel and it was far better than our K series with the small engine. Locally we had one with a GMCV8 diesel. Built new. It disapeared up hills with same payload though I am sure was damn noisy inside.

I was aware of non tilting cabs but not here in Oz. Ford had started to wake up that it was not viable to build more than one body for cars or trucks,, at least here in Oz.

#3417 Dipster

Dipster

• 441 posts

Posted Today, 07:18

I have owned one D series, just a traytop. The cab tilt did not eat into much space above so a Luton Peak was not uncommon. 

For their day quite a decent truck. Small and large. I have even seen a Tandem drive tipper version though near certain the chassis had been extended. I drove a single drive 8 ton tipper with a 380 diesel and it was far better than our K series with the small engine. Locally we had one with a GMCV8 diesel. Built new. It disapeared up hills with same payload though I am sure was damn noisy inside.

I was aware of non tilting cabs but not here in Oz. Ford had started to wake up that it was not viable to build more than one body for cars or trucks,, at least here in Oz.

Lee,

Are you sure it was a GM V8 diesel "built new"? Ford offered both the Cummins and Perkins V8s (but badged as Ford!) as new. Neither was particularly successful. There was also an experimental twin-engined (Ford sixes mounted side by side) 6x4 tractor running around in service with hauliers for test. I guess that didn´t work out!  

Tandem drive chassis were a standard model.

The D series was a good cheap and cheerful truck and a vast improvement on the previous Trader.