Maurice Trintignant

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 16:48

When did Maurice Trintignant last race?
I have a bit of information that suggests he might have done a little historic stuff, sometime in the late seventies or early eighties. I'm not sure whether it was a one off. Anyone know?

Advertisement

#2 Felix Muelas

Felix Muelas

• 1,209 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 22:19

David,

According to Maurice Louche´s Trintignant-Wimille book, MT might have taken part in 4 "races" after 1965, as seen in the Palmares that he has prepared. Details would be as follows :

Mobil Economy Run
Pau
essence
16th
Boutier (his co-equipier, I assume)
Simca-Chrysler 1308 GT

Paul Ricard
Le CAstellet
VEC
Lotus 16

PAris-Dakar
4 roues motrices
Cantarelli (co-driver?)
Toyota Hi-Lux

Angouleme
VEC
Lotus 24

Although it is not listed there, I also have the sensation of having seen MT after that at the wheel of a single seater, but cannot put a date to it. Could he have tried to drive but been prevented because of age? Just a noise in my head, no real info...

#3 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 80,228 posts

Posted 10 December 2003 - 22:36

Paris-Dakar?

Now I can just imagine that would appeal to an aging GP driver with a bent for trying something new!

Look at Moss in the London-Munich, for instance (and Michael Taylor)...

#4 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 06:02

Here's what I wrote in my report of the 2000 Monaco Historic GP
Another former Monaco GP winner on the entry list was Maurice Trintignant, first in 1955 in a Ferrari and again three years later in a Rob Walker Cooper-Climax. It’s now 62 years since the Frenchman’s first race and he’s looking very frail. There was relief all around the paddock when the Cooper he was to have driven was found not to comply with the safety regs, and was now allowed to start
I also have a feeling he drove at Angouleme after 1987, though probably in a "demonstration" rather than a proper race

#5 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 11:22

does the family still have the vineyard and, if so, is the infamous Le Petoulet still in production ?

#6 Ralliart

Ralliart

• 669 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 11:42

Trintignant also took part in the "historics" race during the '76 USGP-West weekend.

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 11 December 2003 - 12:48

Thanks everyone, just what I wanted.

That Paul Ricard race in 1980 was the one I was looking for. I didn't want to prompt further, so that confirms what I had been told. It was one of Bruce Halford's cars. Apparently he went well until a wheel fell off.

#8 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 21 December 2003 - 17:07

the last time I saw Maurice TRINTIGNANT driving was at MONTHLERY in 1984.

It was a race of celibrities wiyh yhe star racing team of musician "MOUSTACHE".

The car was SEAT SX 1600. I take M.T in photos.

He drove very well as he was near 70 years all !!!

he was second but he must have winned if the first made obviosly obstruction.

A very nice man and again good driver.

#9 aldo

aldo

• 135 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 13:52

Originally posted by David McKinney
Here's what I wrote in my report of the 2000 Monaco Historic GP
Another former Monaco GP winner on the entry list was Maurice Trintignant, first in 1955 in a Ferrari and again three years later in a Rob Walker Cooper-Climax. It’s now 62 years since the Frenchman’s first race and he’s looking very frail. There was relief all around the paddock when the Cooper he was to have driven was found not to comply with the safety regs, and was now allowed to start
I also have a feeling he drove at Angouleme after 1987, though probably in a "demonstration" rather than a proper race

I was there and I clearly remember of having seen Maurice at the wheel of the blue Rob Walker-like Cooper surely in practice and, maybe, in the opening laps of the actual race. I have some photos of him driving the Cooper around the circuit.
I also spoke wiith him and he said that, today, the circuit is too slow and twisting, too many chicanes, not so amusing like it was in his good old times. He didn't look so frail to me: when I interviewed him, he had just climbed the steps of the pitlane control tower and was coming down gingerly.

#10 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 08 January 2004 - 14:09

As I said, he did not start the race
(And yes, I was there too)