Photo

Some obscure races in Ethiopia, Brazil and Hungary won by Maseratis!

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 O Volante

O Volante

• 311 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 13:43

Recently I got hold of a little Italian Book titled "Maserati Story. Il rilancio di un mito", written by somebody called Eliseo Ferrari (!) and published by Edizioni Il Fiorino, no place and year given. It contains a long, but sometimes rather strange list of Maserati race victories. Besides wellknown entries, it contains dates and winners, of course, for a number of less known competititions.
From this list comes the following info on some wonderfully obscure events in Hungary, Ethiopia and Brazil:

1 novembre RECORD UNGHERESE DEL CHILOMETRO LANCIATO
Festetics Erno
1 novembre RECORD UNGHERESE DEL MIGLIO LANCIATO
Festetics Erno

25 dicembre COPPA GOVERNATORE D'ASMARA
Gay

12 giugno CORSA DI RIO DE JANEIRO
De Souza Costa

13 giugno CIRCUITO D'ASMARA
Salvatori Ettore

3 luglio CIRCUITO DI PETROPOLIS
V. de Miranda Rodrigo

15 luglio GARA DE LA GAVEA
Bianco Gino

22 marzo SUBIDAS DE MONTANAS A TERZOPOLIS
Pouchinhas Jorge - Hagà

12 luglio CAMPIONATO CARIOCA A BUENOS AYRES-sport
Souza De Costa
12 luglio CAMPIONATO CARIOCA A BUENOS AYRES-corsa
Bianco Gino
(Whatever this event has been, it did surely not take place at Buenos Aires - after all, "Cariocas" is the nickname of the inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro and a Carioca Championship is surely a Rio competition ... and the names of both winning drivers are linked with Brazilian racing!)

26 luglio SUBIDA DE GAVEA-sport
Bianco Gino
26 luglio SUBIDA DE GAVEA-corsa
Souza De Costa - Souza de Costa

20 settembre SUBIDA DE TIJUCA
Bianco Gino

6 giugno CORSA SCICCHETTI-SALADARO'
Bigi Cristoforo

13 giugno CORSA NEFASIT-ASMARA
Bigi Cristoforo

4 luglio SUBIDA DO CORCOVADO-corsa
Silva
4 luglio SUBIDA DO CORCOVADO-sport
Souza De Costa

10 May CORSA DI MARACAUA (Bresile)
Sila Armando

27 maggio VAROLSLIGET UNGHERIA
Szales

10 giugno VEROSLIGET UNGHERIA
Szeles

24 giugno SZENTENDRE UNGHERIA
Szeles

5 agosto BUDAPEST UNGHERIA
Szeles

9 Septembre TIHANY UNGHERIA

Any comments?

Advertisement

#2 speedmaster

speedmaster

• 3,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 14:25

Originally posted by O Volante

Souza De Costa
Bianco Gino
(Whatever this event has been, it did surely not take place at Buenos Aires - after all, "Cariocas" is the nickname of the inhabitants of Rio de Janeiro and a Carioca Championship is surely a Rio competition ... and the names of both winning drivers are linked with Brazilian racing!)

Bianco Gino

Bianco Gino

You've got it right... Carioca is the nickname for anyone born in the city of Rio de Janeiro (in the state it would be "Fluminense"). As usual back then it was common to think that Buenos Aires was Brazil's capital (in fact it is Argentina's capital).

The Subida da Gavea and Subida da Tijuca were also at Rio and they are more or less the same circuit based in the Alto da Boa hills (where we, cariocas, learned how to race friday nights). The Gavea circuit was the south side of the hill and the Tijuca is the north side and both names are places in the city of Rio - around 10 miles of downtown.

I was born in the fifties but too young to be there at the time. My dad was a fan and he always talked to me regarding Pintacuda and Landi, both Brazilians and both driving for Maserati and if I'm not wrong, Ferrari at that time.

Hope it helped.

Cheers

#3 speedmaster

speedmaster

• 3,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 14:29

Originally posted by O Volante
Any comments?

found this also:

Gavea Circuit

http://www.kolumbus....ellman/gp40.htm

http://www.speed-fev...ismo/gavea.html

Cheers

#4 alessandro silva

alessandro silva

• 758 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 15:02

1938, Circuito Eritreo, Asmara, 25 December, Org. Auto Club Eritrea

Coppa del Governatore, 20 lapsx3.627km=72.540km
2 class.

1. Ferdinando GAY, Maserati 1100 51'26.2s 84.891 kph
2. Cristoforo Bigi, Fiat 508 53'22.4s

The main race of the meeting was a 30 lap Coppa di Natale won by wellknown Emilio Romano in a 2.8L Alfa Romeo.

You see that the name of this fellow Bigi, which you have in 1954, already appears. Eritrea was no longer an Italian colony after WWII, but Italian business was still present until the 50s.

#5 Muzza

Muzza

• 802 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 15:54

Hello, O Volante,

I may have information on some of the Brazilian races you mentioned, but these files are in Brazil hence I am unable to help you now... I will bring some stuff back with me next time I go there.

For the time being:

1949 - Circuito di Petropolis (in Portuguese, de Petrópolis)
Street track in the Rio de Janeiro (State) town of same name. It was used - only occasionally - until 1968 or 1969 (the first is more likely, but I am pulling this from memory), when a race ended in several serious crashes and one fatality.

1953 - Subida de Montana a Terzopolis
Correct title should be "Subida de Montanha de Teresópolis". A hillclimb in Teresópolis - another town also in State of Rio de Janeiro, not so far from Petrópolis. Used occasionally until the mid 1960s.

1954 - Subida do Corcovado
Hillclimb at the pictoresque Corcovado Hill (the one with that large Jesus Christ statue on top) in Rio de Janeiro. Raced a few times only (at least officially...)

1955 - Corsa di Maracaua
This most likely refers to a stret track encircling the Estádio do Maracanã (Maracanã Stadium). It was used only a few times, back in the 1950s.

I second speedmaster's opinion that the "Campionato Carioca a Buenos Ayres" may reflect a misunderstanding, somewhat common in the early 20th Century, that Buenos Ayres was the Brazilian capital (few things could piss off a Brazilian more than that, considering the bitter rivalry between Brazil and Argentina, even fiercier then... Today the expression "he/she is one of those that believes that Buenos Ayres is the Brazilian capital" is still used to refer to a opinionated foreigner that actually knows little about the country).

Sorry for not being able to provide you more now.

Cheers,

Muzza
(P. S.: Abração, speedmaster, e me escreva um dia desses)

#6 T54

T54

• 2,504 posts

Posted 11 January 2004 - 16:12

Love those streamlined Maseratis... :cat:

Posted Image

T54

#7 Franciscomuniz1

Franciscomuniz1

• 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:36

Recently I got hold of a little Italian Book titled "Maserati Story. Il rilancio di un mito", written by somebody called Eliseo Ferrari (!) and published by Edizioni Il Fiorino, no place and year given. It contains a long, but sometimes rather strange list of Maserati race victories. Besides wellknown entries, it contains dates and winners, of course, for a number of less known competititions.
From this list comes the following info on some wonderfully obscure events in Hungary, Ethiopia and Brazil:

1 novembre RECORD UNGHERESE DEL CHILOMETRO LANCIATO
Festetics Erno
1 novembre RECORD UNGHERESE DEL MIGLIO LANCIATO
Festetics Erno

25 dicembre COPPA GOVERNATORE D'ASMARA
Gay

12 giugno CORSA DI RIO DE JANEIRO
De Souza Costa

13 giugno CIRCUITO D'ASMARA
Salvatori Ettore

3 luglio CIRCUITO DI PETROPOLIS
V. de Miranda Rodrigo

15 luglio GARA DE LA GAVEA
Bianco Gino

22 marzo SUBIDAS DE MONTANAS A TERZOPOLIS
Pouchinhas Jorge - Hagà

Souza De Costa
Bianco Gino

Bianco Gino

Bianco Gino

6 giugno CORSA SCICCHETTI-SALADARO'
Bigi Cristoforo

13 giugno CORSA NEFASIT-ASMARA
Bigi Cristoforo

4 luglio SUBIDA DO CORCOVADO-corsa
Silva
4 luglio SUBIDA DO CORCOVADO-sport
Souza De Costa

10 May CORSA DI MARACAUA (Bresile)
Sila Armando

27 maggio VAROLSLIGET UNGHERIA
Szales

10 giugno VEROSLIGET UNGHERIA
Szeles

24 giugno SZENTENDRE UNGHERIA
Szeles

5 agosto BUDAPEST UNGHERIA
Szeles

9 Septembre TIHANY UNGHERIA

Any comments?

#8 Franciscomuniz1

Franciscomuniz1

• 27 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 01:42

Dear Volante,
You are brazilian?
3/7/49 -II Circuito de Petrópolis

Sport Cars

1)Rodrigo Miranda

15/7/51 - Subida da Gávea(Gavea Hillclimb)

1)Gino Bianco, Maserati 3750cc

Best Regards,

Francisco Muniz - Rio de Janeiro - Brasil

#9 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 3,005 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 06:27

I suspect the first two are Hungarian Kilometre and Mile speed records, rather than races.

#10 sramoa

sramoa

• 355 posts

Posted 18 November 2009 - 07:01

Volante!

The Hungarian racer in 50s years:Tibor Széles-who raced for Festetics Brothers' Maserati.
My question:Do you know some place where was:Hungarian Kilometre and Mile speed records,because I will better helping for you.

#11 pnegyesi

pnegyesi

• 178 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 06:48

I am researching the history of the ex-Festetich Maserati on behalf of its current owners.

On 31 Otober, 1937, KMAC, the Royal Hungarian Automobile Club hosted a Record Run at Gyón where Festetics won its category (3000 cc racing car) - though he was the sole entrant.
Starting number: 36. New Hungarian speed record with 211 km/h

Gyón was a popular venue for record runs in Hungary during the 2nd half of 1930s

#12 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,859 posts

Posted 07 August 2010 - 13:22

Came across these reports regarding the 1938 Asmara race mentioned above. All in Italian, but the first link includes a complete entry list, which should interest a few of you ;) Click on the links and they should open as full pages of newspapers - they're JPEG dynamic links, so can't be shown here in img tags.

http://www.emeroteca...1_1938_316_0006

The race report is disappointingly short though:

http://www.emeroteca...1_1938_317_0006

#13 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 08 August 2010 - 17:03

Thank you for this gem, Vitesse2.

Do you know more about Ferdinando Gay (Gay + Maserati in Google is probably not a wise thing to try) ? He apparently had his own Scuderia, entering a Maserati and several Alfas, but he is not list in Simon Moore's 2.3 index.