Photo

Grand Prix Masturs

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 12:40

Apparently the FORCE have handed over the running of their F1 races to Ron Maydon, who drives the Cooper Alfa Romeo (late, unraced, Cooper monocoque car, with an Alfa Montreal engine).

He is starting a new series (taking over some of the FORCE's dates), called Grand Prix Masters, and will cater for the 3 liter F1 cars from 1966 to 1976.

http://www.grandprixmasters.org

This seemed like great news to me, especially as he wants to encourage 'unusual' cars - 12 cylinder Ferraris, Cooper Maseratis, Eagle Weslakes etc.

But then I read the rules:

The cars will be split into 2 groups non-wing cars & wing cars.

These groups will start the race at different times - e.g. the wing cars will set off some time after the non-wing cars.

Perhaps that will create overtaking, but it does sound rather like a VSCC handicap race to me, and there has never been a shortage of overtaking in historic 3 litre races.

And then I read that these races will start with a rolling start!!

That is just not right, these cars were designed for standing starts - watching a 3 litre car get off the line is one of the highlights of historic racing.

And then they starts talking about ensuring competitive racing between the classes by means of rev restriction, weights, tyres and ground clearance.

What has that got to do with Historic Racing.

This sounds like modern (e.g. dull) racing but with old cars.

Why can't we just see the cars raced as they were at the time??

Advertisement

#2 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 41,863 posts

Posted 26 March 2004 - 13:31

Originally posted by Peter Morley
..... And then I read that these races will start with a rolling start!!

That is just not right, these cars were designed for standing starts - watching a 3 litre car get off the line is one of the highlights of historic racing.

And then they starts talking about ensuring competitive racing between the classes by means of rev restriction, weights, tyres and ground clearance.

What has that got to do with Historic Racing.

This sounds like modern (e.g. dull) racing but with old cars.

Why can't we just see the cars raced as they were at the time??

Clicking on "Hospitality" on that site might give a bit of a clue ... looks like the "social" and "corporate" side is more important than the racing :rolleyes: