march 707

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:31

I look about a thread on autocourse.ca about the CANADIAN races in the 70ths

and i saw a photo of MARCH 707 driven by Gordon DEWAR in MONT TREMBLANT in 1971.

It was a can-am race.

Does anybody has some history about these MARCH 707 and how many have been built ?

two or three ? there is i think two who are in the supersports historic challenge.

Does somebody has thev history of these cars?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement

#2 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:43

Gerard,

I'm sure someone will be able to say more than this, but 3 707s were built, 1 for Helmut Kelleners (Interserie), one for Amon (CanAM, the one sold to Gordon Dewar), and a third spare chassis, which I don't believe was used.

Kelleners' car became the 717 for 1971, and this is the chassis (now back in 707 spec) raced by Geoff Farmer, and previously by Dodkins etc., in the Surpersports series. Charles Agg did race another in STP livery (I guess that was actually the ex-Amon car) a couple of years ago

Ted Williams raced a 707 in UK historic events in 1982-83 - I think, though not 100%, that this was the previously unused chassis. I thought this was now at Rosso Bianco museum, but I might be wrong on that too!

#3 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 12:54

Thank you JEREMY.

I think you are the MEISTER of the SPORTS PROTOTYPES HISTORY !!!

have yousome information about the PORSCHE 908 history ?

Did you know something about the PORSCHE 908/02 driven in historics races in the 80ths

by R.ATTWOOD and Mike OSTRONOFF ?

#4 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 13:05

Gerard,

Thanks for the compliment :blush: I'm sure there's very many on this forum that know a lot more than me!

The Attwood / Ostroumoff car was 908-022, the ex McQueen, Auto Usdau car, bought by Attwod in 1982. he sold it to the US in 1987 (or thereabouts). August Deutsch also owned this car briefly after 1974 (not sure of dates), and apparently re-bodied it, so I guess this may have been the first Deutsch Special (see previous thread!) He sold to it in early 1977.

#5 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 14:03

Originally posted by Jeremy Jackson
Gerard,
Ted Williams raced a 707 in UK historic events in 1982-83 - I think, though not 100%, that this was the previously unused chassis. I thought this was now at Rosso Bianco museum, but I might be wrong on that too!

Here's a photo I posted previously in the Amon thread, Ted Williams at Silverstone in 1985 in practice for the Super Sports race supporting the British GP.

I remember watching a superb battle at the 1983 GP meeting between Ted in this car and Mike Wheatley in the Can-Am BRM. IIRC Williams led from the start, Wheatley passed him after a few laps but then spun at Copse right in front of me. He then began a charge back through the field cheered on by the crowd, culminating in passing Williams at Woodcote on the last lap to take the win. Fantastic!

Posted Image

#6 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 14:07

Thanks for the photo. - I watched that race in 1983 from near Copse aswell ! Absolutely brilliant race.

#7 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 14:08

There is a company in California called Fantasy Junction that has a March 707 for sale for $245,000.
Factory March. Fully restored and sorted. Ex-Chris Amon / recently Charles Agg car with many wins. Last outing at Elkhart Lake 2001 where it took pole position. All historical documentation included. Spares package. March started out in 1969 as a factory for building production race cars, beginning with the 693 formula 3 car. Over the years March made cars for many different classes, ranging from F1 to Formula Ford 1600.
In 1970 the March factory tried to establish its name by producing cars for no less than 6 different race classes, and that in what was only the second year of existence of the company! Next to their type 701 Formula 1 contender the 707 Can-Am/Interserie car was introduced. Only three were built, two for the Interseries and one for the Can-Am that was driven by Chris Amon. Described by Robin Herd CBE "As the first design he hadn't had to rush". He is also accredited with many of the early Mclaren designs particularly the Mclaren M6A Championship winning Can-Am cars.

The combination of Herd's design and Chris Amon's driving skills produced three fine finishes in its very short three race career in 1970. Mclaren were seriously worried about the March/Amon combination and had the team continued racing it would have undoubtedly won races.

5th place at Donnybrooke- 27th September 1970.
4th place at Launa Seca- 18th October 1970.
4th place at Riverside- 1st November 1970.

This car remains one of the most well recognized Can-Am cars of the period and is one of only three built. It is the only one with Can-Am history. All the three cars are well known and exist today. There can be no pretenders. FIA HVIF issued.

Chassis 707-2 was the March factory effort in the 1970 Can-Am series, driven by Chris Amon. After its success in 1970 it was sent back to the U.K for updates and repairs. March's involvement was over and it was to be used as a show car in 1971.

The car sat until 1973 when John Mastroianni purchased it from March directly. For the next 19 years the car sat in the U.S. until Bud Bennett purchased it in 1992.

In 1997 Charlie Agg of the "Mclaren by Trojan" family purchased the Amon car in its original and unrestored state and set about restoring it to its former glory using his experience and enthusiasm. The chassis was in original condition as were many of the parts.

The philosophy was that the car would be raced hard again and although many of the original components looked satisfactory it was decided that many of the components should be replaced in order that the car was safe but authentically correct.

All the suspension components were replaced, as was a significant amount of other items as they were of unknown quality and over 27 years old. A brand new Engine / Fuel Injection System and Gearbox was commissioned (as original) to fit into the car. New fuel cells were made and new fire extinguishers fitted. However the original bodywork remains. All the original 1970 pieces including the wheels have been retained for provenance purposes.

The car is in absolutely top condition currently with a recent substantial winter rebuild behind it where the engine was rebuilt, new axles fitted as well as CV joints, the gearbox rebuilt with a new crown wheel and pinion as well as literally hundreds of other components changed. Any lifed components have also been changed in anticipation of a busy competitive season.

The Daytona banking is not for the faint hearted and the car has been prepared with no expense spared.

The engine produces a genuine real 868 horsepower at 6900rpm with 745ft/lbs of torque at 5400rpm. 1999
1. Paul Ricard / France – 1st overall
2. Malboro Masters Zandvoort / Holland –1st o/a
3. Silverstone BRDC/ England –1st o/a
4. Magny Cours / France –1st o/a
5. Daytona Brumos Histories / USA –1st o/a

1. Spa Francochamps / Belgium –1st o/a
2. A1 Ring/Austria – 1st o/a
3. Oldtimer GP Nurburgring / Germany –1st o/a
4. Daytona Brumos Histories / USA –1st o/a

For photos, go to http://www.fantasyju....com:auto:FJ789

Warren

#8 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 15:14

JEREMY,

about the PORSCHE 908 of R.ATTWOOD.

I agree with you :i saw this car at MAGNY COURS in 1984.

The car was driven by Mike OSTROUNOFF.

saw it again at PAU driven by R.ATTWOOD.

But is -it the same car as in 1991 there was a PORSCHE 908 in an auction in CHRISTIES USA.

Perhaps it could be 1999. The chassis's number was 02/018 EX-VON WENDT 's car.

At one time it is said that Dickie ATTWOOD drove it in the SUPER SPORTS SERIES.

The car was also with the MARTINI colors.

Mystery ?

#9 Jeremy Jackson

Jeremy Jackson

• 479 posts

Posted 30 April 2004 - 16:36

Gerard,

At the risk of mixing up 707s and 908s, I've found this

Seems to confirm 022 for Attwood/Ostroumoff, but . I saw it in Martini colours in 1983, but only on track, so i couldn't check it's identity.

#10 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 08:52

Here are some pictures I took at the Historic Spa 6H meeting of 2003 :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#11 karlcars

karlcars

• 660 posts

Posted 01 May 2004 - 09:29

Am I possibly the only TNFer who has driven the Amon car? At Riverside? Ridden around Riverside in it with Chris driving?

I wrote it all up in Motor Trend at the time.

Chris reckoned the car's shortcoming was its weight. He said that nobody at March dared to weigh it because they were afraid of what they'd find out!

BTW, Robin Herd really didn't want to call the car the 707 because people would associate it with Boeing's version, unfavorably. But he was stuck with the designation system he'd initiated.

#12 gerard BARATHIEU

gerard BARATHIEU

• 399 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:34

thank you to all of us for comments and nice photos,

from myself i have photos of MARCH 707/02 at PAUL RICARD in 1998.

But unfortunatly as to day i have no scan althougt it will be possible to scan from a friend.

Does somebody has photos of KELLENERS 'car and AMON in 1970?

#13 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 12:15

The Helmut Kelleners Marh 707/2 at the Neubiberg race (Germany, 24/10/70).

Posted Image
Source: Rallye Racing

Here seen at the Internationales Aachener Rundstreckenrennen (Nurburgring, 18/10/70)

Posted Image
Source: Rallye Racing

Rafa