Photo

The Denis Debois memorial helmet thread (merged)

• Please log in to reply
1493 replies to this topic

#1401 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 18:46

Can anyone tell me if any RHEOS helmets escaped into private hands?

Advertisement

#1402 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,169 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 20:31

I admired Denny Hulme, so back in about 1966 I bought a new white Bell Star and applied two rows of black electrical tape front to rear. It lasted me for years, until the stuffing started falling out, leaving red fuzzy residue on my head every time I took it off. Then I wore closed-face helmets for a long time, but I preferred an open-face helmet for instructing in Porsche club events, where it was important that students be able to hear my screams.

Frank

#1403 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,307 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 02:27

Milt Minter's distinctive helmet at the 1975 12 Hours of Sebring:

http://www.flickr.co...157604389253411

#1404 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 21:30

Who can help me with the pictures of old F1 driver Norberto Fontana?
I search pictures of his Arai helmet in close-up from 1997.
He rode into then in Sauber.
I want paint my Arai helmet in replica.
Thanks in advance, Adriaan.

www.freewebs.com/helmetsnl

#1405 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,380 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 13:15

Hi Adriaan,

Go to Google. Enter "norberto fontana" and helmet, press afbeeldingen or pictures and hit the button!
Or "norberto fontana" and sauber
Or "norberto fontana" and casco or casque
etc
Succes!

#1406 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 18:17

Hi Adriaan,

Go to Google. Enter "norberto fontana" and helmet, press afbeeldingen or pictures and hit the button!
Or "norberto fontana" and sauber
Or "norberto fontana" and casco or casque
etc
Succes!

I have also already done and there are not so many good pictures.
Hopefully has someone clear pictures from a magazine or a book.
Thanks, Adriaan

#1407 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:11

I saw this picture of Winkelhock in 1982 (Imola?).
Am Surprised, he wore I think Simpson helmet instead of GPA.
By the visor you can see blue lining.
Does anyone have more pictures of it and in close up?

Thanks, Adriaan

Posted Image

#1408 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 14 December 2011 - 16:42

I discovered that Manfred Winkelhock has 4x GP (Brasil, Long Beach, South Africa and San Marino) drove with Simpson helmet in 1982.
But the pictures are unclear.
There should are more pictures of close.
Who can help me with clear pictures and in close-up?
Thanks in advance.

#1409 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 05 June 2012 - 20:47

Dear friends,
Who can help me with the pictures of Hector Rebaque?
I am looking at the pictures of his helmet in close-up from 1980 (especially the front of his helmet).
I especially want to know what he had on the sponsorship front / bottom of his helmet.
Maybe you have Grand Prix International, Autosport, Autosprint or Rombo sheets where Rebaque which could stand?
It is his helmet during GP of Italy, Canada and USA 1980.
He drove in Brabham.
Thanks in advance.

#1410 Graham Clayton

Graham Clayton

• 1,307 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 12:57

For the 2007 Japanese Grand Prix, Red Bull driver David Coulthard changed his helmet design to match the helmet of former World Rally Champion Colin McRae, who had died just two weeks before in a helicopter crash:

Posted Image

Source: HSX Blog - Photos from the 2007 season:

http://thomasjpitts....he-2007-season/

#1411 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 10:54

For sale, helmet Mike Hailwood 1966

http://staticclub.ca...od-1966-img.jpg

see more helmets on my facebook: Adriaan Verhage

#1412 Verhage

Verhage

• 86 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 22:14

I switched to another hostingprovider.
See my new homepage: www.avhelmets.nl

Regards, Adriaan

#1413 HistoryFan

HistoryFan

• 6,684 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:23

Some drivers changes their helmet designs very often. But some drivers had some stories behind their helmet designs as they copied the one from their idol or something like that. Hamilton had a yellow helmet because his father wanted to see him in mass of kart driver and so on.

More stories?

#1414 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 16:30

Up to the early sixties there were very few personalised helmets. Plain colours were almost universal with the odd stripe here and there.

White or brown was the norm, with some silver, Gonzales with yellow, Hawthorn with blue and Dan with his black one, which became dark blue for a while in 1960. I would think that probably there was no special reason for most of these variations other than the desire to be different.

One of the first variations I recall was Bonetto who had a big black arrow on his white helmet but I guess that may have been more for recognition than any other reason. Unless somebody knows different?

#1415 Languedoc

Languedoc

• 52 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 17:34

Hello friends:

I think that Tom Pryce's father put those stripes in the front of his white helmet for the same reason: to recognize him when he was in F3.

#1416 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 17:39

Yes, but the dragons were very personal.

#1417 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 17:52

There are hundreds!

Anthony Davidson's nod to Eddie Cheever,
Jean Alesi's nod to Elio de Angelis
Perry MaCarthy's nod to Gilles
Mario Andretti keeping his Vicroy sponsorship colours
Tom Pryce adding the stripes for his father to spot him when timing (as seen above)

I suspect this thread could run to a few pages!

#1418 alansart

alansart

• 4,377 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:04

The Hill's - London Rowing Club?

#1419 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:47

I'd be most interested in any PRE-1960.

Advertisement

#1420 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,717 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:47

Is there a reason why Davidson would go with a Cheever tribute? It's not an obvious choice, though it is a good design. Davidson's that is, Cheever is more of a flag of Arizona.

#1421 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 18:53

Is there a reason why Davidson would go with a Cheever tribute? It's not an obvious choice, though it is a good design. Davidson's that is, Cheever is more of a flag of Arizona.

If memory serves, Ant's dad was a bit of a Cheever fan, and it went from there.

Pre 1960, yes, I bet there's not many!

#1422 Jack-the-Lad

Jack-the-Lad

• 2,174 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 19:40

I always considered Cheever's helmet design to be brilliant.

#1423 BRG

BRG

• 17,197 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:43

Personally, i find modern helmet 'designs' very messy and lacking in any real style. All those bitty little stripes and stuff. I preferred simpler designs, such as Pescarolo's green, the Hills LRC colours and JYS's simple white and tartan. Today, they seem to favour complicated liveries because..well, because they can.

#1424 Barry Boor

Barry Boor

• 11,356 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 20:54

I reckon at least 95% of the TNF regulars would agree with that last statement.

#1425 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,101 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:01

To save me a lot of searching, can someone please repeat the story of Jim Clark's helmet and the white peak?

#1426 Emery0323

Emery0323

• 293 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:21

Personally, i find modern helmet 'designs' very messy and lacking in any real style. All those bitty little stripes and stuff. I preferred simpler designs, such as Pescarolo's green, the Hills LRC colours and JYS's simple white and tartan. Today, they seem to favour complicated liveries because..well, because they can.

I agree! For all the supposed visual sophistication of commerical artists nowadays, you'd think they would appreciate the virtues of "less is more" in terms of graphic design.

This question has been raised before, but I never saw a clear answer to it - Does anybody know how Ignazio Giunti came to use that (Mayan or Aztec ?) design on his helmet?

#1427 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,517 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 21:25

Michele Alboreto's helmet being a salute to Ronnie Peterson.
Stefan Johansson having the leaves on the sideof his helmiet as his nickname was Lil 'Lowis ( Little Leaf ) after his dad who was Big Leif.
Eddie Irvines helmet colours until 1993 were based on Senna's helmet though that changed I believe after Mr Stroppy threw a punch at him after the Japanese GP that year.

#1428 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 16:01

Eddie Irvines helmet colours until 1993 were based on Senna's helmet though that changed I believe after Mr Stroppy threw a punch at him after the Japanese GP that year.

Partly true but the change happened well before the Suzuka race

#1429 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,746 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 20:08

I like that Kimi wears a helmet dedicated to James Hunt - http://nonf1.com/201...James_hunt.html

Shows he's not a corporate clone and knows his history.

#1430 HeskethBoy

HeskethBoy

• 58 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 03:53

I always liked Peter Revson's helmet design.
Red, white and blue - but asymmetric with "lozenges" on one side and curly stripes on the other.

#1431 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:19

Today's slant on F1 helmets in the Wall Street Journal

http://online.wsj.co.....eTabs=article

#1432 ensign14

ensign14

• 49,451 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 14:49

"So the only way today for a driver to show some personality is, maybe, with some tattoos," says Jens Munser, a designer who has unintentionally become a Formula One trendsetter. "Or with his helmet."

In which case, the personality of most F1 drivers is that of a six year old with ADD.

#1433 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 20:58

In which case, the personality of most F1 drivers is that of a six year old with ADD.

I sent it to another painter & he replied "here's another article no-one is waiting for..." amongst other choice words enquiring what they're all smoking :smoking:
Seriously though, I wonder how much of this stuff would even get the OK if the driver or team were having to pay for it.

#1434 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,319 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 13:00

I agree! For all the supposed visual sophistication of commerical artists nowadays, you'd think they would appreciate the virtues of "less is more" in terms of graphic design.

This question has been raised before, but I never saw a clear answer to it - Does anybody know how Ignazio Giunti came to use that (Mayan or Aztec ?) design on his helmet?

Ignazio Giunti's Aztec Eagle helmet had its "debut" in 1970, when he joined the Scuderia Ferrari. In sportscar races (Sebring, Targa, N'ring) he was still wearing his classic dark green open-face helmet, but when he drove the 312B in Belgium, France and Italy Grands Prix he had the Aztec Eagle helmet.
And also at Baires on 10 January 1971.

Edited by Nanni Dietrich, 11 March 2013 - 13:01.

#1435 MCS

MCS

• 4,166 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 14:26

Ignazio Giunti's Aztec Eagle helmet had its "debut" in 1970, when he joined the Scuderia Ferrari. In sportscar races (Sebring, Targa, N'ring) he was still wearing his classic dark green open-face helmet, but when he drove the 312B in Belgium, France and Italy Grands Prix he had the Aztec Eagle helmet.
And also at Baires on 10 January 1971.

But... "does anybody know how Ignazio Giunti came to use that (Mayan or Aztec ?) design on his helmet?"

#1436 john aston

john aston

• 1,765 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 16:21

Helmet design seems to me to reflect the fact that most people do not watch motor sport live; they watch it on TV or read about it in magazines. No need to identify the driver - somebody else does that for you. And with every paper full of hi resolution close ups one can understand why intricate designs are favoured.

Same with car colours and numbers.

Me- give me a Parmalat Brabham- never has a car had better or more striking, yet simple , livery . And driven by Senna, Damon or Graham Hill, JYS , Hunt or Peterson. Lauda in earlier years too.

Edited by john aston, 11 March 2013 - 16:23.

#1437 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 10:43

Helmet design seems to me to reflect the fact that most people do not watch motor sport live; they watch it on TV or read about it in magazines. No need to identify the driver - somebody else does that for you. And with every paper full of hi resolution close ups one can understand why intricate designs are favoured. Same with car colours and numbers.

Me? Give me a Parmalat Brabham, never has a car had better or more striking, yet simple, livery

Good point John. I guess you mean the blue & white Brabham, not the red Parmalat version?

#1438 doc knutsen

doc knutsen

• 594 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 16:27

Up to the early sixties there were very few personalised helmets. Plain colours were almost universal with the odd stripe here and there.

White or brown was the norm, with some silver, Gonzales with yellow, Hawthorn with blue and Dan with his black one, which became dark blue for a while in 1960. I would think that probably there was no special reason for most of these variations other than the desire to be different.

One of the first variations I recall was Bonetto who had a big black arrow on his white helmet but I guess that may have been more for recognition than any other reason. Unless somebody knows different?

On the two occasions when I saw Mike Hawthorn race, his helmet was definitely black, not blue. A the the Nurburgring in 1958, I wondered what my hero was doing in an Osca...turned out to be a young Dan Gurney, and his helmet lacked the low white band and peak.
I realise that the Golden Boy book states that Mike wore a blue helmet, even showing an ex-Hawthorn helmet that was re-painted in white, with a medium, almost light blue showing underneath the white. However, at the Donington Collection there is a Mike Hawthorn helmet which is most definitely black, even though the peak is a tan (leather) colour, the white presumably having faded.

I was only 11 when Mike crashed on the Guildford by-pass, but he was the first and only hero of my young life.

#1439 john aston

john aston

• 1,765 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:30

Good point John. I guess you mean the blue & white Brabham, not the red Parmalat version?

I do- especially as I had forgotten there was any colour other than blue and white for our favourite cheese spread purveyor :wave:

Advertisement

#1440 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 13:39

I noticed a rare original twin window Bell on ebay At £3k its well over my budget!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d0ac7f212

I'm still looking for a GPA for my collection, if any one has one languishing in a cupboard somewhere?

#1441 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 14:14

What was the shell made of? I suppose fibreglass? And which year did it appear, 1979? I seem to remember Ickx having one that year on the 936 at Mans, besides Watson and Fritticaldi in F1.

Yes Rega & amazingly heavy compared with today's Fibre glass versions.

#1442 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 14:38

Thank you Mike. The weave of the fibres can be seen in one of the photos posted on ebay.

You can also see on the final photo, (inside of eyeport) the internal liner doesn't match the outer shell. This is present on mine, so I'd say the normal practice. There's roughly 20mm of shell without the liner behind it!

#1443 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:15

Yes, the inner shell shows also the weave of the fibres. I suppose the outer fibres - inside and outside - are so superficial in order to save weight as much as possible on the epoxy matrix. Their function is probably mainly in impact situations, thus maybe they don't need full matrix cover.
[Maybe they didn't know that much at the time! The aero eng. in me - with a dissertation on composite materials - sometimes comes out!]

The liner is a shock absorber. Being smaller than it could be, reduces the effectiveness. In addition, today's helmets have physically bigger shells to accomodate much thicker (approx 30mm) polystyrene liners - whereas back in the 70's they were about 20mm.

Edited by mfd, 25 March 2013 - 15:17.

#1444 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 15:48

I suspect you couldn't have had that Bell design with a "Bead-All" lining?

I told Mike last year I think, that someone in France had told me he knew where there were eight brand new GPA helmets, still boxed. I went to look with pound signs rolling in my eyes, only to find horse riding helmets and two SJs, but with straps, not the horsehoe clamps. Gutted :-(

#1445 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:31

brand new GPA helmets...two SJs, but with straps, not the horsehoe clamps. Gutted :-(

With straps are called AJ - avec jugulaire and they too, with a small window, have a high value. You may suddenly find yourself with a few PM's Steve :D

#1446 charles r

charles r

• 8,356 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 16:43

David Purley's helmet design always appealed.

#1447 chr1s

chr1s

• 315 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 22:41

With straps are called AJ - avec jugulaire and they too, with a small window, have a high value. You may suddenly find yourself with a few PM's Steve :D

While we're on the subject of rare helmets, if anyone has an AGV X1 they want to sell I'd be very interested!

#1448 funformula

funformula

• 364 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:24

I noticed a rare original twin window Bell on ebay At £3k its well over my budget!

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4d0ac7f212

I'm still looking for a GPA for my collection, if any one has one languishing in a cupboard somewhere?

I have two of the GPA helmets in my cupboard but unfortunately not for sale. I was after this helmet for years and finally came across one of them for surprisingly cheap money.
By the time I was prepared to pay over 1k Euro for one, because that is what is asked for them but finally had the luck to get it for only 300 Euro in almost like new condition.
So sometimes you only have to wait for the right thing.

#1449 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:08

While we're on the subject of rare helmets, if anyone has an AGV X1 they want to sell I'd be very interested!

Couldn't wait to get rid of mine, but that was a few years ago!

#1450 mfd

mfd

• 2,986 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:32

Couldn't wait to get rid of mine, but that was a few years ago!

Steve, bless you :up: If anything was predictable, it was you'd be on here & posted either this reference to X1 or a similar comment on the GPA :D