HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 17:49

Tensports show MotoGP only. no f1 this year. :o

#4 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 17:54

Espn Star really suckz ..... what the hell are we gonna do watcing the same match on 3 channels now includin dd1 ..... i guess these damn sports channels dont care bout racing!!!!
Too bad!

#5 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 17:55

NOOO>>>> No need for ten sports to show f1 .... thier commentatory is worse than that of ITV-f1!! id rather live without f1 than listen to thier crap!

#6 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 17:57

yaa india v pakistan on star sports. and ESPn both. what the fu##

#7 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 17:59

and what about stupid Steve Slater. oh my God he doesnt know anything other than Ferrari gamesmanship. ahh hate that bastard :mad:

#8 Jomyboy

Jomyboy

• 179 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:03

yeah steve slater suckz big time .... but atleast he is a schumacher fan .... unlike the others who r TOTALLY ENGLISH DRIVERS BIASED!!!!! WE DESERVE BETTER!!! What the hell am i paying for!!!!!

#9 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:15

WTF ??? that is sooo sh1tty for us ......I mean c'mon ..........pleeeeez this is not fair......
Why the f*****g did they start their "SIMULCAST" ??? that is why we have this prob. :mad: :down:

When will they show the race then ?

#10 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:24

11:45 India time and 11:15 Pakistan. :cry:

#11 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:29

OK some hope guys - last season we had the race live (ITV coverage) on DD-2 / DD Metro .
Today there was a 90 minute Sports Hour schedule b/w 4:30 PM and 6:00 PM .....did anyone see what was on ??

Also I am checking to see if they will show the race tomorrow on DD National/Sports because AFAIK Vijay Mallya and Karun Chandok's dad own the rights to broadcasting F1 and WRC . They have sold that to some production company who in turn roped in DD. So theoretically either DD or Star MUST show the race LIVE .....but I will check and post back later. Keep the hopes alive. :)

#12 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:32

good for my Indian nieghbours. but i dun get DD. so pray for Star Sports to change channel schedule. :)

#13 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:37

Sorry dudes - The TV listings don't have F1 in them ......guess we will have to wait then .....damn Star Sports.

#14 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:39

Kond. will u wait for race or see the timings online. ? :rolleyes:

#15 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:41

Well I have an exam on Monday afternoon - If I finish studying by tomorrow evening then I might watch live timing otherwise I will have to watch the highlights ...... :cry:

#16 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:45

I can't beleive that they are going to do a Hindi broadcast instead of an F1 race. THe hindi broadcast will access only a small portion of Indian cricket audience ........I mean with Wasim Akram and Waqar its OK but the other hindi commentators are crap and I think commentary in regional languages suck. Everybody can see the match and can understand English commentary . OTOH if they had broadcast the race live it would have been accessible to so many more ppl.

The decision making process @ ESPN Star really sucks .....I still can't beleive - we will watch a Hindi broadcast instead of the RACE !!!!!!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

#17 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:49

yeah man this sux. urdu/Hindi mey commentary is just pathetic. :mad:

#18 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 18:51

just shot of a mail to ESPN STAR about this screw up - hopefully it won't happen again. :cry:

#19 Icicle

Icicle

• 547 posts

Posted 24 July 2004 - 19:03

hehehe...

Then watch it live on net ;)

mms://61.128.101.18/starsport

Its in Chinese and the streaming breaks up sometimes, Chinese is the only backward feature, me thinks…:p :D :D :D :D

it works really well at times and really badly at others due to congestion...:( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Icicle

Posted Image

Icicle

Advertisement

#20 The Vulcan

The Vulcan

• 1,109 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:35

Feel sorry for your guys in India. I guess a petition is in order to Star Sports/ESPN - but then again how can you challenge Cricket? It ALWAYS takes priority in India, so I guys you'd need to rely on the good old Internet for live feed. :smoking:

#21 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 06:54

newspapers report the telecast as usual. the ads on tv also say Raceday at 4.35pm .

#22 cozworth

cozworth

• 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:13

May be starsports will switch over to the race when it starts, we'll all have to wait and see. I hope and pray we'll get to watch the race live.

#23 Zdeus

Zdeus

• 309 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 10:52

Sorry folks, the espnstar.com website does not list the race as live for the auidence in India. This is really very sad. I do not understand why they are showing the match live on both ESPN and STAR.

Sad case, kill cricket...

Ravi.

#24 cozworth

cozworth

• 310 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:05

Ya it's now 4:35 Indian standard time, by now the raceday program would have commenced on Starsports, but not here in India, the cric match is being shown :

starsports :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

#25 I_hate_chicanes

I_hate_chicanes

• 101 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:05

Star Sports coverage sucks! I've hated them ever since they decided to introduce their own commnetators, way back in 2000 instead of sticking with the standard ITV commentary feed.

And I agree, Steve Slater is a moron. I hate it when he says, "By our reckoning, Ferrari or MS will have to make an extra fuel stop" . That's when they never stop. Chris Goodwin's pretty decent though, him being a former test driver for Mclaren and all that.

#26 KinetiK

KinetiK

• 3,855 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 11:56

Sounds like what happens here in Canada during any major sporting event that TSN broadcasts (curling, Masters golf, darts, lawn bowling, hair cutting, etc).

#27 serafim

serafim

• 84 posts

Posted 25 July 2004 - 15:59

And NBC, the monopoly broadcaster of the Olympics in USA, is showing only the events with US participation and with a 12-24 hour delay. Nothing live. Nothing.

#28 Frank

Frank

• 378 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 00:46

starsports just plain sucks...the numerous of advertisment breaks are unbelivable high

#29 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 03:41

this is the first time ive seen this happen. its pretty rare. and im f***** pissed off. for one day cricket...
whats the world coming to.

#30 indian

indian

• 1,194 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:50

I don't have cable, so I usually go to a mall nearby where they show the race live on big screen. When I went there yesterday, they told me that they are not showing the race 'coz of the cricket match. I didn't realise until now that Star Sports wasn't showing the race live. Too bad :down: They were showing the cricket match on ESPN anyway.

#31 cozworth

cozworth

• 310 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:56

Originally posted by skinnylizard
this is the first time ive seen this happen. its pretty rare. and im f***** pissed off. for one day cricket...
whats the world coming to.

not just that, we lost the match, another pathetic performance by the Indian team.

#32 cozworth

cozworth

• 310 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 04:58

So in future, is this the norm, i mean will Starsports (in India) cut off live Formula1 if there's a cricket match?????

#33 I_hate_chicanes

I_hate_chicanes

• 101 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 05:56

I think they had this simultaneous broadcast 'cause it was an India-Pak match. What pisses me off is that this wasn't even a final.
Star Sports is really made up of low grade cheap people out to make a quick buck. :down: :down:

#34 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:03

Originally posted by I_hate_chicanes
I think they had this simultaneous broadcast 'cause it was an India-Pak match. What pisses me off is that this wasn't even a final.
Star Sports is really made up of low grade cheap people out to make a quick buck. :down: :down:

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

and its really all about sacrificing a payday for the sake of scheduled programming

#35 flyingfin

flyingfin

• 69 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 06:50

Originally posted by Jomyboy
NOOO>>>> No need for ten sports to show f1 .... thier commentatory is worse than that of ITV-f1!! id rather live without f1 than listen to thier crap!

Atleast they don't have the 'n' number of commercial breaks that star has...also they don't delay the post race press conference unlike star..which inserts they crappy chequered flag!

#36 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 07:06

Originally posted by flyingfin

Atleast they don't have the 'n' number of commercial breaks that star has...also they don't delay the post race press conference unlike star..which inserts they crappy chequered flag!

im often surprised that people take something as popular as F1 and then drum it down to something so intolerable and boring with the pre-and post race coverage. be so simple to just make a good informative program.
a little nostalgia, interviews, some tech talk, rumours, and a little strategy game.post race, major incidents, great moves, press conference.
BUT NO.
we have 3 idiots, and a clueless unattractive woman....
enjoy.

#37 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 11:23

I think the best host for the F1 Programme - or for that matter any other programme on ESPN STAR is none other than JOHN DYKES..........the guy was professional enough to learn something about the sport before pitching himself in as the host ........what the hell ........even David Basheer did a better job than the current trio....... :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if Steve Slater is actually mumbling in his sleep. HE can't seem to get right the names of the drivers, confuses Jags with Minardi's, can't make out the drivers from the helmets .......the list goes on and then there is his trademark comment " ABSOLUTELY WHEEL TO WHEEL RACING " .........when Michale is actually lapping someone ....... :rolleyes:

#38 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 16:02

Originally posted by kodandaram
I think the best host for the F1 Programme - or for that matter any other programme on ESPN STAR is none other than JOHN DYKES..........the guy was professional enough to learn something about the sport before pitching himself in as the host ........what the hell ........even David Basheer did a better job than the current trio....... :rolleyes:

I sometimes wonder if Steve Slater is actually mumbling in his sleep. HE can't seem to get right the names of the drivers, confuses Jags with Minardi's, can't make out the drivers from the helmets .......the list goes on and then there is his trademark comment " ABSOLUTELY WHEEL TO WHEEL RACING " .........when Michale is actually lapping someone ....... :rolleyes:

and he is so happy..i wouldnt wanna be the one to fire him (and it seems no one else wants to either)

as for david basheer - his bald pate was tooo distracting

#39 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 16:34

lol all of u guys r so funny bashing Star Sports which deserves even more. :up: ehehe

guys why not start some petition thing or something that convines them to shift to ITV. I mean Steve Slater always keep on saying " WHO SAYS F1 IS BORING? " hhahah and the biggest farce is thier show acting that they r at the circuit. :rotfl: not to mention that malaysian babe saying lets switch to our track side commentrators who r by the way sitting in the adjacent room. hahhahah :D :lol:

Advertisement

#40 RRT1963

RRT1963

• 549 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 16:54

Originally posted by HONDA FANATIC
lol all of u guys r so funny bashing Star Sports which deserves even more. :up: ehehe

guys why not start some petition thing or something that convines them to shift to ITV. I mean Steve Slater always keep on saying " WHO SAYS F1 IS BORING? " hhahah and the biggest farce is thier show acting that they r at the circuit. :rotfl: not to mention that malaysian babe saying lets switch to our track side commentrators who r by the way sitting in the adjacent room. hahhahah :D :lol:

It worked last year in Canada when TSN decided to broadcast with races with the U.S. Speed TV feed instead of ITV.
TSN backed off in a big hurry when they were inundated with complaints.

#41 revvhead

revvhead

• 657 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 17:48

Hey I tried getting all the Star viewers to petition Espn Star twice on this forum
Yesterday i was like WTF.......
I didnt make sense
Then i realised. They are running the match on both their channels purely to make money from double the advertising spend!!!!!!
Ans sacrificing a Major live event for that, i mean they had it on one channel already
There is no such thing as integretity these days methinks.. especially in the Tv networks

As far as Steve Slater & Chris Goodwin go, well i think i said my piece on them often enough

#42 HONDA FANATIC

HONDA FANATIC

• 577 posts

Posted 26 July 2004 - 18:30

lets start a new petition to oust CAPTAIN BONKERS :rotfl:

#43 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 17:19

Originally posted by revvhead
Hey I tried getting all the Star viewers to petition Espn Star twice on this forum
Yesterday i was like WTF.......
I didnt make sense
Then i realised. They are running the match on both their channels purely to make money from double the advertising spend!!!!!!
Ans sacrificing a Major live event for that, i mean they had it on one channel already
There is no such thing as integretity these days methinks.. especially in the Tv networks

As far as Steve Slater & Chris Goodwin go, well i think i said my piece on them often enough

actually i think it makes perfect sense on their part. its a major match and its only fair to expect a larger audience for hindi as well as english. then formula 1 in either language.
i think it sucks. but atleast its for Eastenders..

#44 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 27 July 2004 - 19:24

actually i think it makes perfect sense on their part. its a major match and its only fair to expect a larger audience for hindi as well as english. then formula 1 in either language.

c'mon man that is not true !!! :confused: If ppl really cared about the hindi commentary we would have had DD National pulling in more spectators in the last few years than Star Sports. You know DD has english and Hindi commentary. None bothers since the quality of the commentary in hindi is always poor .....and not many ppl need it - even if they don't understand english.....they know enough to understand what is happening. :up:

By showing a Hindi commentary broadcast on that F1 slot they just lost a HUGE chunk of the usual sinday audience rather than gani anything ......assholes they are ........they deserve it .........I understand its a big match - Indo pak and all ........but still..........it was so silly ..........I am already betting that we won't have this SIMULCAST next time out (next series........)

BTW India won today in a nail biter ........last ball , 5runs and 1 wicket remaining to win for Sri Lanks ........awesome ...well done India. :up:

#45 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:38

There is a huge hind language audience in the B&C towns and cities. Im sure there is a large chunk of people even in the metros that like or want hindi commentary (otherwise there wouldnt be much hindi programming on tv to begin with), the whole point is to make it more efficient and wider ranging than it already is
besides cricket is a 8 hour commitment vs 2 hours of F1 advertising. especially when there is no added cost for the second broadcast..
makes perfect sense to me.
besides your f1 audience probably isnt half as much as the cricket audience.

like i said. i dont like it. but its not that difficult a decision.

#46 cozworth

cozworth

• 310 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 05:57

What Starsports should have done, was switched from the cricket match to show race live. The Hindu speaking audience would only have missed the hindi commentary for what 2 hours of an 8 hour match.
On sunday evening I hoping that they would do that but, no cricket takes 1st precedence in India.

#47 I_hate_chicanes

I_hate_chicanes

• 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 06:42

Not necessarily. I mean, people who understand only Hindi can always tune into DD National which is free to air. And in all probability, people who go for Hindi only cannot afford cable tv anyway, so they're more likely to tune into DD National. There maybe a few exceptions, but its simply not worth it to do a simultaneous broadcast simply for them.

There's a thing called responsibilty, y'know. Star Sports broadcast F1 to South Asia exclusively. They should have more respect for the audience they cater to. :o

Originally posted by HONDA FANATIC

They deserve to be bashed, don't you think? ;)
The name of that Malaysian babe is Collete Wong. I don't think she knows anything about F1. She keeps on asking inane and stupid questions to both Steve and Chris who in turn respond with even more dumb answers(especially Steve Slater).

I've heard he was formerly a manager to David Coulthard. Is that true?

And what can I say about the other TV presenter, Richard Drew. An absolute moron if there was one. Keeps on referring to race winners as champions. For eg, Schumacher is 5 times champion at so and so track! :rotfl: :rotfl:

#48 umapathypon

umapathypon

• 2,741 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 14:18

Originally posted by I_hate_chicanes

They deserve to be bashed, don't you think? ;)
The name of that Malaysian babe is Collete Wong. I don't think she knows anything about F1. She keeps on asking inane and stupid questions to both Steve and Chris who in turn respond with even more dumb answers(especially Steve Slater).

I've heard he was formerly a manager to David Coulthard. Is that true?

And what can I say about the other TV presenter, Richard Drew. An absolute moron if there was one. Keeps on referring to race winners as champions. For eg, Schumacher is 5 times champion at so and so track! :rotfl: :rotfl:

The only saving grace from the star sports team is Chris Goodwin.He might be slightly biased towards McLaren,being associated with them.But,he is objective enough with his comments most of the time anyway.

Richard Drew is an absolute mumbling disaster.Collete Wong might not know much.But,atleast she does'nt pretend to know everything unlike the other mug.

I wont talk about Steve Slater anymore.He cant be helped.700 gear changes a lap at Monaco and he kept repeating that for the entire race.That is unexplainable,really.

#49 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 15:10

the broadcast team is terrible. but i think its ridiculous to expect the broadcasters to ditch a major sports event for a location in return for a smaller programme.
they shouldnt have done jack ****..
mabe the audience should grow ;)

#50 I_hate_chicanes

I_hate_chicanes

• 101 posts

Posted 28 July 2004 - 18:11

the broadcast team is terrible. but i think its ridiculous to expect the broadcasters to ditch a major sports event for a location in return for a smaller programme.
they shouldnt have done jack ****..
mabe the audience should grow ;)

We refuse to compromise on something as important as F1. ;)