val musetti

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 20:30

Posted Image

Val Musetti, as we all know, was/is a stuntman, featuring in many major films and TV series.

He had a useful career in F3 and British F1 as well as a one-off in F3000. So was he a professional stuntman with motor sport purely as a hobby or did he aspire to greater things on 4 wheels ?

You might like to identify the location and year of this photo also...

Advertisement

#2 MCS

MCS

• 4,696 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 20:44

F3 race (or practice (!)- did he qualify?), Monaco (Station Hairpin) 1972 - Royale RP11?

I think he simply enjoyed his motor racing - not sure he had any really career-minded motivation to race.

He raced some great cars I recall..

MCS

#3 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 20:46

respect....

#4 paulsenna1

paulsenna1

• 265 posts

Posted 14 August 2004 - 22:42

Originally posted by MCS

I think he simply enjoyed his motor racing - not sure he had any really career-minded motivation to race.

He raced some great cars I recall..

MCS

Yes, I agree, MCS. I recall chatting to him many times during the 70s. His enthusiasm was infectious.
The best result was perhaps his G8 win at Brands in 1977 in his March GA V6. He was quite competitive that year. His March also featured in an episode of 'The New Avengers' racing against John Steed's Jaguar saloon around Silverstone! I remember he was great entertainment at a wet Oulton Aurora F1 race in 1980, sliding his Fittipaldi F5A around with great aplomb behind two more nimble F2 cars (Jim Crawford the winner).

He was never quick enough to progress far, but he enjoyed his racing to the full.

#5 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 24,604 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 07:26

I'm reminded of a daily newspaper report on a race featuring Val. Can't remember which paper or race, but the reporter evidently read his copy over the phone. The relevant passage should have read (something along the lines of) :

". . . and the race was won by Joe Bloggs ahead of Fred Smith, film stuntman Val Musetti, Peter Piper etc etc"

What they actually printed was:

". . . and the race was won by Joe Bloggs ahead of Fred Smith, Phil Stuntman, Val Musetti, Peter Piper etc etc"

#6 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,404 posts

Posted 15 August 2004 - 10:52

There is a neat portrait of native Italian Valentino Musetti in Mike Kettlewell’s „Motor Racing Directory" 1981 edition:

His stuntman activities began with judo - he was British Junior Champion in 1958 and a black belt two years later - and has worked in various films, from The Italian Job in the late ‘60s to Superman II. In 1967 Val started racing, having taken a course at the Motor Racing Stables school at Brands Hatch. He raced a school Lotus 51 and later, equipped with a Titan, became one of the formula’s front-runners, competing in Europe and the 1970 Brazilian series as well as in Britain. By 1972 Musetti decided he wished to move up the ladder, purchasing a Formula 3 Royale RP11.

Born in 1943 he was nearly 30 by now.

Musetti was ambitious in 1976, contesting the MCD Formule Libre Championship (which he ultimately won), the ShellSport 5000 series and selected Formula 2 races - as well as filming stunts in The Avengers television series! ... In 1977 Val’s Dave Price Racing-prepared V6 March was a leading contender in the ShellSport Group 8 series. ... He led the points table until July, but filming commitments in Canada meant he had to miss several rounds and he finished third behind Tony Trimmer and Guy Edwards.

About 1979 Kettlewell cites Musetti as follows:

"But once again I had to stop racing due to filming commitments. I was stuntman in Superman II and didn’t finish this until April 1980."

According to Kettlewell Musetti, rounding up his racing career, at the time reported:

"Not having had any sponsorship in my entire racing career, I am quite pleased with my results."

#7 dolomite

dolomite

• 1,183 posts

Posted 16 August 2004 - 19:53

SIlverstone October 1980: Musetti in his Fittipaldi leads Giacomo Agostini and Mike Wilds.

Posted Image
(Image copyright dolomite not to be reproduced without permission or the boys will be round to sort you out)

#8 swintex

swintex

• 542 posts

Posted 17 August 2004 - 23:12

Well, it's obviously Paddock Hill Bend, but I couldn't tell you any more (even thogh I took the picture)

Posted Image

You've got to love the magnificent protection around the footbox :eek: .