Photo

Villeneuve's 2005 options (aka the definitive JV thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
2738 replies to this topic

#1 Guy

Guy

• 250 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:17

I just heard Martin Brundle on ITV F1 say there is a rumour that villeneuve is going to test for williams in the next few weeks. Anybody heard anything more on this?

Advertisement

#2 KinetiK

KinetiK

• 3,855 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:21

The car will be the '99 car to see if he's ready for the new one. Just a rumour though.

#3 Guy

Guy

• 250 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:24

Originally posted by KinetiK
The car will be the '99 car to see if he's ready for the new one. Just a rumour though.

Are you taking the piss?

#4 Hotwheels

Hotwheels

• 2,851 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:34

Brundle clarified its only a rumour and not a fact . So we'll see . I hope it is true.

#5 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:37

Williams need to choose wisely. We need strong drivers in those seats. Ralf is a waste of space.

#6 Williams

Williams

• 6,829 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:37

Gerry Donaldson said that Villeneuve spent a day at the Williams factory a couple of weeks ago. He also said that Ralf is gone for sure.

He also said that Scott Dixon will get another test.

#7 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:40

Half of the world will race for Williams next year, however it's only rumour though :cat:

#8 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:52

Originally posted by Williams
Gerry Donaldson said that Villeneuve spent a day at the Williams factory a couple of weeks ago. He also said that Ralf is gone for sure.

Is he still on the cellphone? :p

#9 StickShift

StickShift

• 5,386 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:54

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Why ask questions you know the answer too? :p

Interesting if true. I would be laughing my ass off if we start hearing 'Villeneuve to replace Ralf before the season is out!' rumours next week.

#10 GadgetMan

GadgetMan

• 2,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 13:55

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Well, Ross, you're one who would have to eat crow if Villeneuve ever makes it back into F1 !!! :cool: :wave:

GadgetMan

#11 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:02

i wouldnt be surprised if they do have a chat because Williams and JV have very strong history however i think its a bit too early for things to get started isnt it? i mean its only May. but then again Pollock dosent have anything else to do.
xxx
g

#12 berlinetta

berlinetta

• 2,179 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:06

Originally posted by GadgetMan

Well, Ross, you're one who would have to eat crow if Villeneuve ever makes it back into F1 !!! :cool: :wave:

GadgetMan

Ross you said that before? :rolleyes:

I will join you if this is true.

#13 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 70,106 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:08

Originally posted by GadgetMan

GadgetMan

No more than you're dining on humble pie now that he's not in F1.

#14 CV2k

CV2k

• 93 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:08

Originally posted by AdrianM
Williams need to choose wisely. We need strong drivers in those seats. Ralf is a waste of space.

and villeneuve isn't? tsk tsk

#15 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:16

Originally posted by CV2k

IMHO no. :smoking:

#16 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:20

I would take JV over Ralf. In F1 we need entertaining drivers willing to have a go not invisible one's who do nothing.

#17 CV2k

CV2k

• 93 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:21

Originally posted by senna da silva

IMHO no. :smoking:

If you thought williams sucked now wait till JV joins

#18 Cypher

Cypher

• 419 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:26

Villeneuve is said to be training hard, so he sure sounds highly motivated. :up:

Can anyone think of a driver who would want to beat BAR more?;)

#19 senna da silva

senna da silva

• 5,750 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:32

If you thought williams sucked now wait till JV joins

Man that's a lotta humble pie you're gonna have to eat!

Advertisement

#20 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:37

Webber and JV would be fantastic combination to watch at Williams. I just hope, that whoever gets those two seats will be competing for wins.

#21 gerry nassar

gerry nassar
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,912 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 14:53

Webber and JV would be great at Williams next year. At this rate - RS wouldnt be a wise choice for Toyota either.

#22 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:50

Listening to the pre-race show on TSN this am it seems fairly certain that JVI did in fact visit the Williams factory a few weeks ago. This was stated by Gerald Donaldson and Martin Brundle repeated this during the race.

Vic Rauter mentioned that during last year's Canadian GP he and John Watson strolled pit lane and they did talk to some of the team principals about JVi. It seems that the consensus was that JVi is one of the best ever.

Gerald Donaldson stated that Ralf will definately be leaving Williams. He also said that there were going to be four top seats available. Two at Williams and two at Toyota. I only have one problem with this statement: since when is Toyota considered a top team?

#23 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:52

Originally posted by skinnylizard
i wouldnt be surprised if they do have a chat because Williams and JV have very strong history however i think its a bit too early for things to get started isnt it? i mean its only May. but then again Pollock dosent have anything else to do.
xxx
g

It's been reported/rumoured that Pollock is not involved in the discussions between JVi and Williams F1.

#24 Peter Perfect

Peter Perfect

• 5,618 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:54

Originally posted by chris_canuk

It's been reported/rumoured that Pollock is not involved in the discussions between JVi and Williams F1.

Yay! At last! JV learns! I think he'll stand a much better chance now.

#25 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:55

Absolutely not. At least not if you like racers.

#26 skinnylizard

skinnylizard

• 9,641 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:56

where are these rumours/reportsoming from?

#27 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 15:58

I think JV is (along with Juanita) one of the biggest tools around.
But I would welcome his return no matter what. :up:
And in a Williams he'd be brilliant.
But he'd really need to hunker down and test like mad to make it competitive again.

#28 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 16:16

Originally posted by skinnylizard

where are these rumours/reportsoming from?

You know, I don't remember where I saw it. I do remember that it was a very brief reference, one line or so. I saw it on one of the web sites last week. If I can find the article/link again I'll post it. However, Pollock did say that they were talking to "the right" teams. He did not mention any specific teams.

If true, did JVi approach Williams or did Williams approach JVi?

#29 checkonetwo

checkonetwo

• 1,164 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 16:29

he finally seems to do the right thing. train hard, shut up and keep pollock out of it. and with the current performance of ralf, everybody´s chances are growing to drive this car next year.

bring JV back. :smoking:

#30 rce

rce

• 2,003 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 16:52

I'm not a fan of Jacques - but he is highly entertaining and he would be very motivated to take on anyone, especially B.A.R.

I was a bit stunned to hear Gerald say that Jacques has visited the Williams HQ a couple of weeks ago. But in all reality, Frank may just (smartly) be keeping all his options open, he does have plenty of them and after the first 5 races I'm inclined to think that he is not going to just randomly pick drivers to replace Juan-Pablo & Ralf. He is going to go after the drivers he believes will win him the WCC.

Not surprised by ITV comments that Ralf is definitely gone from Williams next year, they did seem to imply that the Toyota deal is pretty much a done-deal.

#31 later

later

• 122 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:04

Originally posted by rce
He is going to go after the drivers he believes will win him the WCC.

And if not win the WCC, at least challenge others for positions in races until the car is capable of regularly challenging Ferrari.

#32 Arrow

Arrow

• 9,190 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:12

Sounds like JV might be forced into a shoot out with the williams test drivers to see if hes still worth the punt. :

#33 Rene

Rene

• 6,926 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:14

I don't know why there is a big deal about this, as we have been talking about these things in another thread for the last week.... :wave:

#34 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:17

Originally posted by Rene
I don't know why there is a big deal about this, as we have been talking about these things in another thread for the last week.... :wave:

I think it's just that the word "test" came up from a couple of "authoritative" sources and that a time frame was mentioned, however ambiguous.

#35 Guy

Guy

• 250 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:33

[i]quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Rene
I don't know why there is a big deal about this, as we have been talking about these things in another thread for the last week....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's just that the word "test" came up from a couple of "authoritative" sources and that a time frame was mentioned, however ambiguous. [/B]

I would place Martin Brundle as an authoritative source. However, this thread may be of interest to you on Martin Brundles authority! http://forums.atlasf...&threadid=67853

However, my opinion is that he always qualifies a rumour as paddock gossip, and doesnt try and pass it off as fact.

I personally believe the Villeneuve test rumour is probably true. We will have to wait and see :)

#36 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:38

Originally posted by Arrow
Sounds like JV might be forced into a shoot out with the williams test drivers to see if hes still worth the punt. :

Williams.BWM.com has recently tested:
Liuzzi
Pantano
Nelsinho
Rosberg Jr.
Dixon
That NASCAR-guy (forgot the name, not real test)

And uses:
Pizzonia
Gene

Villeneuve, is better than the sum-total of all the above IMO.
But thats not really saying much...

#37 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:40

Originally posted by Tomecek
Half of the world will race for Williams next year, however it's only rumour though :cat:

:D

I've never been a JV fan, far from it really, but man, if JV takes RS's place BEFORE the season is over, or even next season, I'm all :up: :up: :up: for it. It would surely bring some interest into this season, now that it has become a complete borefest. (Okay, racing behind the Ferraris is not bad at all actually, but the truth is, no matter how hard people pretend otherwise, when there's no racing for P1 most of the excitement is gone.)

#38 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:45

Listening to the pre-race show on TSN this am it seems fairly certain that JVI did in fact visit the Williams factory a few weeks ago. This was stated by Gerald Donaldson and Martin Brundle repeated this during the race.

Vic Rauter mentioned that during last year's Canadian GP he and John Watson strolled pit lane and they did talk to some of the team principals about JVi. It seems that the consensus was that JVi is one of the best ever.

Gerald Donaldson stated that Ralf will definately be leaving Williams. He also said that there were going to be four top seats available. Two at Williams and two at Toyota. I only have one problem with this statement: since when is Toyota considered a top team?

If they really said JV was one of the best ever I think they were just being kind, but I can see one very good point with replacing RS already this season: if Williams are to have two new drivers next season, why not replace RS already this season? That way JV (or whomever replaces RS) would be better settled in the team for next season. This season Williams have no chance at titles and only slim chances for even any victories. JPM is doing what can be done, and even if RS wasn't there in the races it would hardly matter, so no loss if RS is replaced by JV (or whomever) and the results don't come immediately.

#39 Guy

Guy

• 250 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:46

Originally posted by Tomecek

Thats not really a very constructive comment. The Villeneuve rumour has some foundation. There has been some talk from craig pollock and often there is no smoke without fire.

Its not as though martin brundle said there is a rumour Alex Yoong is testing for williams.

Advertisement

#40 SCHUEYFAN

SCHUEYFAN

• 500 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 17:51

I am by no means a Velleneuve fan, he is a good driver but a lousy team player and usless as a development driver. Nevertheless on a good day with a good car, he might be able to put on a decent show; throw in the extra motivation of a man scorned written off by BAR and most of the F1 world, he definitely has an axe to grind and wants to prove something. This could raise his game and make for some entertainment. He is a better bet than Ralf or Whine Pablum right now, so you can bet one of the two will be dropped soon.

#41 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 18:08

some guy in another forum just said that Patrick "the grizzly" Head made a comment on RDS that he doesn't want JV in his team since he doesn't like "internal" problems and that JV causes internal probs. :mad:

I reckon PH is the porblem at Williams. If he was to just shut up and design proper cars Williams would have been winning races here. Better still if he had just chucked it all ....Geoff Willis might have been still there helping them do what BAR have been doing this year ....get close to Ferrari ... :rolleyes:

#42 fastlegs

fastlegs

• 1,984 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 18:17

Originally posted by kodandaram
some guy in another forum just said that Patrick "the grizzly" Head made a comment on RDS that he doesn't want JV in his team since he doesn't like "internal" problems and that JV causes internal probs. :mad:

I reckon PH is the porblem at Williams. If he was to just shut up and design proper cars Williams would have been winning races here. Better still if he had just chucked it all ....Geoff Willis might have been still there helping them do what BAR have been doing this year ....get close to Ferrari ... :rolleyes:

I rather doubt that Patrick Head would have the final say on JV being hired.

Frank Williams is still the principal owner of the team and if he wants JV back it will happen.

#43 Paco

Paco

• 7,251 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 18:31

Internal problems... I think they already have plenty of those :p

What they need is to start winning again. The best way to do that is to get:

1. A proven race winner.
2. Someone that is VERY hungry to win.
3. Someone who can lead a team.

Of the current crop of drivers available next season:

1. Only JV and DC are proven race winners. Between the 2, DC has never been able to mount a serious challenge to the championship - even when he had the best car of the field.

2. With BAR performing so well this year. Jacques will be very hungry to prove himself and try and up BAR and take it to Ferrari. DC's "This is my year" swan song is getting bloody old and he can't come to grips with single lap qualifying.

3. Webber - solid. Jacques - Years of experience.

Williams would be wise to sign on both JV and MW. That would be an awesome pairing. Potentially the best of the grid.

Webber would finally have a team mate that can teach him a couple of things rather than 3rd rate drivers Jaguar have had paired with him.

Villeneuve wouldn't be able to rest as Webber should surely keep him honest.

Also, based on some comments made by Button. Button learned a lot from driving with Villeneuve. Webber could do the same. It's not as if Klein is really offering anything to Jag these days.

Personally, I am almost certain that it's a done deal that Villeneuve will be at Williams.

As for Webber, I have a feeling he's headed to Renault.

Leaving Trulli to come on board to Williams. Here's how I see that grid lining up next seaon:

Ferrari - MS/RB
Williams - JV/JT
McLaren - JPM/KR
BAR - JB/DC
Renault - FA/MW

Toyota - RS/SDixon
Sauber - GF/JVers.
Jaguar - NH/CDM
Jordan - ??
Minardi - ??

That would be a pretty balanced top of the grid next season and would provide some real excitement.

Later

#44 Birdman

Birdman

• 1 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 18:44

It's not just Williams that needs Villeneuve; it's Formula 1 itself! Besides being incredibly boring, do any of these guys have any personality or charisma, or are they just corporate lackeys? Unlike most of the drivers now, Villeneuve has proven he can beat Schumacher.

Don't forget a big reason that BAR-Honda is looking decent is the fact that they had 5-plus years of Villeneuve developing the car and the engine.

In fact, rather than get him into a Williams how about getting rid of Barichello at Ferrari and giving the seat to Villeneuve. At least he would be able to race Schumacher (if Schumacher would allow it). Villeneuve in a Ferrari; now that would bring some interest back to Formula 1, and you can't deny that!

#45 chris_canuk

chris_canuk

• 6,100 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 18:49

Originally posted by HSJ
If they really said JV was one of the best ever I think they were just being kind, ...

Now why would they say that simply to be kind?

I should add that when I referred to the comments in my previous post, JVi being one of the best ever, it was also mentioned that his biggest problem was his head & individuality.

#46 nja

nja

• 472 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 00:30

I am a long term MS fan (since 92).....and watching Micahel over the years, I still sense that JV was the only driver to make Michael more than a little nervous - even more so than Mika. Don't get me wrong i think MS has got his measure talent wise etc, but JV in the right equipment (a fast BMW and sticky Michelins) could shake Michael from the little comfort zone he has right now - his real competition is coming from younger kids Button, Alonso, Kimi, Webber etc - guys who would have looked up to him as teenagers. JV is a different prospect - the old hard-head, as is JPM to some degree.

Something tells me that MS was always pleased to have JV out of the picture stuck at BAR between 99-03.

Are we in store for one last great match up in Schuey's career - a fight with his old sparring partner from 1997?

Ahhh - probably not...but it has spice, doesn't it?

#47 baddog

baddog

• 29,736 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 00:44

Originally posted by Birdman

Don't forget a big reason that BAR-Honda is looking decent is the fact that they had 5-plus years of Villeneuve developing the car and the engine.

!!

Im almost speechless. I mean come on thats a bit bloody rich that is!

SHaun

#48 Mobil1NSXR

Mobil1NSXR

• 298 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 00:58

Originally posted by BuonoBruttoCattivo
I think JV is (along with Juanita) one of the biggest tools around.
But I would welcome his return no matter what. :up:
And in a Williams he'd be brilliant.
But he'd really need to hunker down and test like mad to make it competitive again.

If the testing skills and determination meant all that much, then why did BAR suck through 01 and 02? Driver testing abilities are overrated. Look at BAR now. I'd say JV and Ollie are still better testers than either of the 3 they have now.

#49 cheesy poofs

cheesy poofs

• 3,243 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 01:28

I`m wondering what are BMW`s views on all this ? Are they going to have any say in the 2005 Williams line-up or will it be left to FW to decide.

#50 kodandaram

kodandaram

• 4,378 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 02:25

@baddog-

Some ppl forget had it not been for JV, there wold have been no BAR and Button would probably not be in a position he is right now.
pls don't stray OT. :)

I hope JV gets a good run in the car soon. :up: