Photo

Those Left Behind

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 18:50

The mention of Nina Rindt being at the Watkins Glen Vintage Festival honoring Jochen made me wonder about the wives, sons and daughters of those racers who have died.
Patty McLaren-Brickett, the widow of McLaren founder Bruce, has retained her links with the team since his tragic death in 1970.
Q:What are the aims of the Bruce McLaren Trust?
”At the moment it’s really a tribute to Bruce. The office is at the former McLaren family garage, and that’s where the memorabilia is too. I donated most of Bruce’s trophies, and Denny Hulme’s widow [Greeta] will do so too if we can find somewhere larger which can serve as a proper museum and tribute to New Zealand’s great motor racing heroes. New Zealanders are probably as passionate about motor racing as they are about rugby, so we’re trying to find a permanent place for the museum to be established. It’s already open to the public, but it’s quite confined. So they’re raising funds for that purpose.”
http://www.mclaren.c...s/q&a/patty.htm

What of Piers Courage's wife Sally, Jim Clark's girlfriend Sally Stokes(?), Jo Bonnier's wife, Graham Hill's wife Bette...the list goes on and on.
My question is did they remain in touch with the sport that took their significant other's life away or did they decide to start a new chapter in their lives?
Warren

Advertisement

#2 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 19:45

Sally Stokes became involved with Ed Swart, so was still involved in the racing scene....

Barbro Peterson was involved with John Watson for many years after Ronnie's death, although she had a history of depression and took her own life in 1987.

#3 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 21:06

Nella Pryce and Jan Brise started a business - antiques, I think it might have been/is - located near where Road & Racing used to be.

Doris Szlezak, former fiancee of Jo Gartner, later married Heribert Werginz - a former ETCC BMW driver, and later an entrant. They're now involved in the historic scene in Austria.

Twinny :)

#4 rdrcr

rdrcr

• 2,727 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 00:39

Pete, you’ve made it sound as if their relationship was in the past. So, in the interest of accuracy, Sally eventually married Ed Swart and they both live happily in Palos Verde, CA. You’re correct about her continuing involvement as she helps Ed immeasurably at the HSR-West events.

#5 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:20

Ah! at last some topic on which I can speak wwith some authority!
Nina married Philip Martyn who I think would be described as a gambler which didn't last long, she then married Viscount Bridport but they are now divorced or at least seperated. Her daughter, Natasha works for Bernie [I think]She lives in Switzerland.
Sally [Courage] marrried John Aspinall. zoo keeper and gambler and had another son. Her eldest, Jason, had a motor bike accident which put him in a wheel chair, he lives in Battersea, south London. Younger son Amos worked for Aspers in Africa and is now married and has two sons of his own.
Lyn Spence went back to South Africa and I havn't heard from her since.
Pat [McLaren] Brickett lives 6 months in the leafy suburbs of London and 6 in New Zealand.
Bette Hill never found anyone to replace Graham, she playes golf and has sheds full of grand children, 4 from Damon, 2 or 3 from Samantha. I don't think Brigitte has any but she only recently married.
The Doghouse Club used to be the link which kept us all together but that is now no more but the battered survivors still meet up twice a year.
You can look at this two ways.... it was a most exciting time and I would not have missed it for anything although I might have done some things differently!
Adam Cooper did a good job trying to sum it up in Piers Courage, The last of the gentlemen racers, although it came out a bit too good to be true.
I think it has a lot to do with circumstances, Bette lost Graham in a plane crash so didn't have a problem letting Damon race, Chris was dreadfully injured in the Ford sports car through no fault of his own so I went to some lengths to keep my son away from cars untill he was sorted else where. Jason had a go at racing but wasn't good enough, Amos didn't. Natasha raced on skis and very well too.
I have been quite involved with the Doghouse Cabaret over many years which I did with Sylvia Davis [Cliff's widow] so sort of kept in touch with fund raising etc.
Thats all for now!
Loti

#6 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 07:44

Originally posted by Twin Window
Nella Pryce and Jan Brise started a business - antiques, I think it might have been/is - located near where Road & Racing used to be.

Tee Dubilya - did they start a business together?

And Loti - if I said I've been surveying a Titan Mk6 today for possible acqusition, would that have connection?

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:00

Originally posted by Vicuna

And Loti - if I said I've been surveying a Titan Mk6 today for possible acqusition, would that have connection?

Wasn't Charles Lucas only involved with the F3 Titans, not the later FFords?

#8 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:13

Oh, is that right?

I didn't know that.

Point is, are we onto something?

#9 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 08:31

Take a gold star and a million bonus points!!!!
Luke is my brother and did indeed build the Titan along with the very talented Tom the weld but that still begs the question..... why? [do you want a Mark6?]
They went to a wonderful Titan get together a few years ago somewhere near Chicago, just in time as Tom dies the following year. Thanks to the internet Luke discovered that he was the president of the Titan owner's club which came as something of a surprise as he didn't know they existed! Someone had one out at Silverstone the other day.

I just thought of another survivor...
Pauline Hailwood now lives in Spain where last heard of was doing up a wonderful old farm house. She is a brilliant cook and was a great help when we were putting together Racey Recipes, that automotive culinary masterpiece! [which made over £5,000 for UNICEF] she kept sending recipes until begged to stop!

Nella and Janet sold antique glass, I believe the shop was in Blackheath near Greenwich.
Forza
Loti

#10 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:09

Originally posted by LOTI
I just thought of another survivor...
Pauline Hailwood now lives in Spain where last heard of was doing up a wonderful old farm house. She is a brilliant cook and was a great help when we were putting together Racey Recipes, that automotive culinary masterpiece! [which made over £5,000 for UNICEF] she kept sending recipes until begged to stop!

LOTI here is something... I.... can talk about with authority!! - my hero!!

Pauline is doing lots to maintain Mikes memory..........

http://www.mikethebike.com/home.htm

Cheers, Mick

#11 WGD706

WGD706

• 956 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 11:59

Thank you all for your replies...I've often wondered what happened to the families of those who we followed with such fascination and respect for so long.
Warren

#12 Vicuna

Vicuna

• 1,607 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 17:48

Loti - when it comes to 70s Formula Fords, Titan Mk6's are about as good as they get...

#13 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:00

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Luke's cars.If a 70's F3 does it for you then..... enjoy!
Loti

#14 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:18

Morning Loti :wave:

Am I right in remembering that your brother had quite an unusual colour scheme on his helmet - for a while at least - in the '70s, around the time he drove Hesketh's Birdcage Maserati in historics?

It depicted an apple in stages of being eaten around the forehead, if my memory serves, and trees or something around the back! Do you remember that, and if so was there a story behind it?

Back OT, do you know if Sally Stokes was ever an air stewardess following Clark's death?

#15 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 10:25

Happy Monday morning!

As far as I can remember, Luke had a red, white and blue crash helmet, next time I speak to him I shall mention apples, worms and trees and see if it means anything!
He drove his own Maserati 250F in historics although he may have driven something of Alexander's too. Being, how can we politely put it, rather on the large side for the then single seaters, the Maserati "fitted" him very well and the historic race after the GP at Silverstone was worth staying for [especially in the wet] to see Luke come through the grid. He always claimed it was the only one that Fangio didn't drive but when Fangio was over here he walked towards Luke with his arms out saying "Ah, my old friend" Luke was very flattered, he had only met him once when they[Charles Lucas Eng] raced in the Temporada F3 in '66. Unfortunatly he walked right past him and patted the car.
I umderstand that there are now more 250Fs than were ever built so whos is which? Luke sold his in the early 80s I think. sorry to be vague.
Onward.
Loti

#16 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,753 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 17:58

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Luke's cars.If a 70's F3 does it for you then..... enjoy!

ENJOY ????!!!

Worship, more like...... 1 Litre F3 has never been surpassed for pure entertainment, and I'm pleased to report that there was a Titan Mk3 running in the 1 Litre F3 class at Spa last weekend, together with an FF Mk4.

#17 MCS

MCS

• 4,708 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 18:42

Happy Monday morning!

As far as I can remember, Luke had a red, white and blue crash helmet, next time I speak to him I shall mention apples, worms and trees and see if it means anything!
He drove his own Maserati 250F in historics although he may have driven something of Alexander's too. Being, how can we politely put it, rather on the large side for the then single seaters, the Maserati "fitted" him very well and the historic race after the GP at Silverstone was worth staying for [especially in the wet] to see Luke come through the grid. He always claimed it was the only one that Fangio didn't drive but when Fangio was over here he walked towards Luke with his arms out saying "Ah, my old friend" Luke was very flattered, he had only met him once when they[Charles Lucas Eng] raced in the Temporada F3 in '66. Unfortunatly he walked right past him and patted the car.
I umderstand that there are now more 250Fs than were ever built so whos is which? Luke sold his in the early 80s I think. sorry to be vague.
Onward.
Loti

Hi LOTI and welcome to TNF !

I'm curious about your comment concerning your brother being "rather on the large side for the then single seaters"

Am I mistaken - and I probably am as usual, so apologies in advance! - but didn't he race a Formula Atlantic March 73B in one of the British GP supporting races in 1973. I'm sure he was at least entered to do so..

Thanks
MCS

#18 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:46

Happy worshiping then, Cirrus. Sorry I didn't know... well, why should I? I have to rely on here and the television for my information and if it's not here it doesn't get through. Reading the small print in Autosport in Sainsbury is so time consuming!

As far as I know, MCS [and thank you for the welcome] Luke didn't race F Atlantic in '73. I could easily be wrong as I wasn't there, having armfulls of small children by then, but I don't think he raced anything but historics after Piers' accident.

Loti

#19 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:21

Happy worshiping then, Cirrus. Sorry I didn't know... well, why should I? I have to rely on here and the television for my information and if it's not here it doesn't get through. Reading the small print in Autosport in Sainsbury is so time consuming!

As far as I know, MCS [and thank you for the welcome] Luke didn't race F Atlantic in '73. I could easily be wrong as I wasn't there, having armfulls of small children by then, but I don't think he raced anything but historics after Piers' accident.

Loti

I don't think you would have found anything about historic racing at Spa in Autosport or on TV anyway,Loti! The new wonder of the internet has enabled me to discover races I never knew of at the time.
From my hand written chart of 1973 Yellow Pages International F.Atlantic championship I have listed 'Charles Lucas March 73B Titan' among 48 drivers reported or seen to have appeared.Seems he finished 6th in BP championship race at Silverstone club circuit on 29th July.

Advertisement

#20 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 10:42

Ah well, I stand corrected, as I said, I wasn't around at the time. I still say that if you are 6ft+ and "well built" getting in to a single seater looks a bit snug!
Loti

#21 RTH

RTH

• 6,068 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 11:30

Originally posted by Cirrus

ENJOY ????!!!

Worship, more like...... 1 Litre F3 has never been surpassed for pure entertainment, and I'm pleased to report that there was a Titan Mk3 running in the 1 Litre F3 class at Spa last weekend, together with an FF Mk4.

Quite right, we could do with a one litre, wingless, no driver aids, plenty of ground clearance single seater series now, bit like 4 wheeled motorcycles. In their heyday the slipsteaming battles were sensational.

#22 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:12

Originally posted by RTH

Quite right, we could do with a one litre, wingless, no driver aids, plenty of ground clearance single seater series now, bit like 4 wheeled motorcycles. In their heyday the slipsteaming battles were sensational.

Agreed. Anything less than 50mm ground clearance at the lowest point is karting, not motor racing! I'm very impressed with the engines in FBMW (apart from the fact that they sound like me after a night on the Draught Bass), but the cars are depressing - they look like little F1s and they fail to overtake just like little F1s.

#23 Ruairidh

Ruairidh

• 1,074 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:28

Anyone know what happened to Barbro and Ronnie Peterson's daughter Nina? I heard that after Barbro's tragic death Nina was looked after by Ronnie's parents in Sweden but know nothing more?

#24 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 12:36

Originally posted by Ruairidh
Anyone know what happened to Barbro and Ronnie Peterson's daughter Nina? I heard that after Barbro's tragic death Nina was looked after by Ronnie's parents in Sweden but know nothing more?

As far as I'm aware, Nina moved back to Sweden to live with Ronnie's brother Tommy and family after Barbro's death. She apparently took up interior design as a career and was recently working in London. Nina was said to be at one point (I don't know if this still is the case) the partner of Swedish touring car driver Calle Rosenblad.

#25 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 14:22

Rather than polluting the "Those left behind" thread, someone should start a thread about those luvverly little 1-litre F3 screamers. Could be one of the longest threads ever, because it was the best racing ever.

Just off the cuff, I can recall a host of races and incidents that, in the right company, would fuel the mother of all fireside, digestif-driven conversations.

Edward.

#26 ian senior

ian senior

• 2,165 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 14:53

Originally posted by SEdward
Rather than polluting the "Those left behind" thread, someone should start a thread about those luvverly little 1-litre F3 screamers. Could be one of the longest threads ever, because it was the best racing ever.

Just off the cuff, I can recall a host of races and incidents that, in the right company, would fuel the mother of all fireside, digestif-driven conversations.

Edward.

Go on Edward, start that thread now. My all time favourite form of motor racing. The thought of all those lovely BT28s, B17s, 59s and even the 'orrible March 703 sets my pulse racing.

#27 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 15:12

I had no idea that Barbo Peterson committed suicide. A terrible shame and dreadful for their daughter (I'm assuming that Nina is the daughter of Ronnie and Barbo) to lose both parents under unatural circumstances.

Edward.

#28 MCS

MCS

• 4,708 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 19:06

Originally posted by Rob29
I don't think you would have found anything about historic racing at Spa in Autosport or on TV anyway,Loti! The new wonder of the internet has enabled me to discover races I never knew of at the time.
From my hand written chart of 1973 Yellow Pages International F.Atlantic championship I have listed 'Charles Lucas March 73B Titan' among 48 drivers reported or seen to have appeared.Seems he finished 6th in BP championship race at Silverstone club circuit on 29th July.

Thanks Rob. I have a vague recollection that the car was white (think I may have seen a starting grid shot from Silverstone), but what happened to the car I wonder?

Thanks again.

MCS

#29 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,588 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 19:46

I can speak with a little authority, but not as much as Lotti!
Natascha Rindt was Super Channel PA in the Digital Broadcast village while I worked for Bernie, she sort of left to learn to fly jets! She had a go as engineer on th F1 BA146, and last time I spoke to her she sort of had ambitions to get into flying that for Bernie, but then Mr E pulled the plug on Digital and maybe using the 146. Of course she could still be working for Mr E flying his smaller planes, but I don't know that for sure. Jason Courage too came in and worked as Pits channel PA for some races, and after that I quite often saw him in the odd paddock, last time at the Goodwood revival, as cheerful as ever. and of course Frank Williams is his god father.

#30 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 22:54

Originally posted by David Beard

Wasn't Charles Lucas only involved with the F3 Titans, not the later FFords?

I didn't get it quite right: it seems Luke was involved with FF Titans up to the Mk 6, selling Charles Lucas Engineering in 1971

http://www.titancars.com/

#31 Andrew Fellowes

Andrew Fellowes

• 763 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 02:52

Originally posted by Twin Window
Am I right in remembering that your brother had quite an unusual colour scheme on his helmet - for a while at least - in the '70s, around the time he drove Hesketh's Birdcage Maserati in historics?

It depicted an apple in stages of being eaten around the forehead, if my memory serves, and trees or something around the back! Do you remember that, and if so was there a story behind it?

Sounds like the helmet Don Grant did for my brother. Luke used to drive John's 450S from time to time but I only saw him with the blue & red stripe crash hat, but he might have borrowed it perhaps.

Don Grant did the Autosport cartoons for some time, good fun to spot the naked lady that featured in each. He did the helmet for John in 'the best possible taste' flying ducks going up the wall on one side and a large tree on the back. A closer look at the tree and it was in fact a lovely naked black lady.

I was there the day Luke agreed to sell the 250F, seemed like a lot of money at the time.

#32 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 06:54

I'm glad that is sorted, I was beginning to wonder where I was.
Luke sold the Maser to Neil Corner who let him drive it occaisionally [which was kind]
Jason has done a bit of lots of stuff, last time I saw him he was just back from doing a business studies course in America. I am also his godmother.
Don Grant's cartoons adorn lots of downstairs loo walls, I was only "caught once" but he did some very clever stuff [as well as being a bit naughty!] I saw his sister Simone last week, she is a very talented photographer and incedentally a horse whisperer.
what little gems so early in the morning!
Loti

#33 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 09:33

For a change, I found a pic I was searching for quite quickly!

Posted Image

The photo was captioned as "Luke's Lady - Charles Lucas at the wheel of Hesketh Racing's 'other' competetive car, the Maserati Tipo 61 'birdcage' " and appeared in The heaviliy censored history of Hesketh Racing which came out during 1974, IIRC.

The car was #48 and I suspect - although I don't know - that it was taken at the International Trophy that year. Silverstone, at any rate, and the driver is wearing white gloves (when orange was the norm).

Loti, Andrew - do you know if it was Luke at the wheel, or was it John?

#34 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:25

I'll have to ask him, I couldn't swear that it is his crash helmet but pretty close. I'll send him an e mail and let you know.
Loti

#35 LOTI

LOTI

• 293 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 15:12

I've done my homework and pleased to say the answers are:
Yes, it is him and he did drive the car a couple of times, sucessfully. In the historic supporting race to the Autrian GP he was so far ahead that Alexander hung out a pit board with "COCKTAILS" on it so he was forced to pit.
Yes, he had white Nomex gloves.
Yes, Don did a maggotty helmet for him as well as the flying ducks one, something to do with making cider but perhaps better not to ask.
and finally
He did drive a F Atlantic once it belonged to someone called Ben Moore.
he also asked what I thought I was doing lurking around here!

Loti

#36 MCS

MCS

• 4,708 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 15:57

I've done my homework and pleased to say the answers are:
Yes, it is him and he did drive the car a couple of times, sucessfully. In the historic supporting race to the Autrian GP he was so far ahead that Alexander hung out a pit board with "COCKTAILS" on it so he was forced to pit.
Yes, he had white Nomex gloves.
Yes, Don did a maggotty helmet for him as well as the flying ducks one, something to do with making cider but perhaps better not to ask.
and finally
He did drive a F Atlantic once it belonged to someone called Ben Moore.
he also asked what I thought I was doing lurking around here!

Loti

Well, hopefully, you're enjoying yourself "lurking around here" :lol:

Thanks for the F Atlantic note.

Enjoyed your 1-litre F3 post...

MCS

#37 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 17:21

Thanks for your efforts, Loti :wave:

I hope you told Luke that lurking can be fun!