Photo

Dulon LD10 history

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 03 October 2004 - 10:18

I have already posted something about this car on the W8 Nostalgia thread, but I still am interested to know if anyone can add to , question or confirm what is known of this car's history.

Posted Image
Thought to be Eccehome hillclimb, Gebhard Zeller at the wheel

Ownership trail...

A German by the name of Anspann. Car lime green at this time
Grohe ( a company?)
Gebhard Zeller (1978-81)
Wolfgang Ilmer (Innsbruck)
via Chris Alford
Lars Johanson
Keith Martin

The car has been powered by a 1300cc 16v Ford and a Lotus twin cam. At one stage it had a Collotti 6 speed gearbox.

One Dulon LD 10 had a Ferrari V6... there is a theory that this could have been this one. It is being rebuilt with such a power unit.

Apparently there were 3 and half LD 10s The half a one is was bare chassis sent to Italy to form the basis of a car called the Gypsy.

One car was written of by Tony Goodwin.

All snippets of info welcome.

Advertisement

#2 AAA-Eagle

AAA-Eagle

• 1,044 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 12:17

Posted ImageTony Goodwin (#37), Spa 1000 Kilometres, 1973

#3 Reyna

Reyna

• 630 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 17:47

On december '71, the italian driver "Sangry-La" tested the new Gipsy at the "Pista de la Fortezza" (Florence). In fact a Dulon LD10 modified and with a Fiat Dino engine (2.000 cc ?) 250 HP , Colotti gearbox and 450 kg. weight.

Posted Image
Source: Autosprint

Ten months later, the Gipsy raced at the two last 1972 Interserie races (Nurburgring and Hockenheim).
The Gipsy appears very modified (the body) but allways with the unpowered Fiat Dino engine.

Here "Sangry-La" at Hochenheim.
Posted Image
Source: Autosprint.

Rafa

#4 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 04 October 2004 - 18:44

Originally posted by Reyna
On december '71, the italian driver "Sangry-La" tested the new Gipsy at the "Pista de la Fortezza" (Florence). In fact a Dulon LD10 modified and with a Fiat Dino engine (2.000 cc ?) 250 HP , Colotti gearbox and 450 kg. weight.
Ten months later, the Gipsy raced at the two last 1972 Interserie races (Nurburgring and Hockenheim).
The Gipsy appears very modified (the body) but allways with the unpowered Fiat Dino engine.

Here "Sangry-La" at Hochenheim.

Rafa

Thanks AAA Eagle & Rafa

Rafa, I have to say, they look like two entirely different cars. The first is most definitely a Dulon. Dunno about the second. I can't see any common features. Even the rollover bar has changed.

#5 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 2,263 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 15:10

Here are some photos of the car when it was at Chris Alford's (late 1980s?), having just come from Scandewegia.

At that time it had an FVA and Colotti gearbox.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 05 October 2004 - 17:40

Here I go stepping in with a degree of pedantic caution...

Wasn't the original LD 10 designed for the F100 category ? I thought the beefed-up Gp 6 cars were designated LD11's or possibly 10B's.

Slightly OT but how about Bob Miller's F 5000 LD8 ?. Did it survive the 70's or did it end up as the guts of a Skoda Super Saloon or, perhaps, left to rot in some lock-up in the Rhondda valleys ?

#7 David Beard

David Beard

• 4,997 posts

Posted 14 October 2004 - 17:17

Originally posted by bill moffat
Here I go stepping in with a degree of pedantic caution...

Wasn't the original LD 10 designed for the F100 category ? I thought the beefed-up Gp 6 cars were designated LD11's or possibly 10B's.

Just received this E Mail from LD10 & 11 owner Keith Martin who has had a look at this thread...

David -

Many thanks. This is most interesting and helpful, I hope the friends of the internet can unearth some other stuff. Incidentally it is correct that the LD10 started as F100 but was also available in beefed up form for Group 6. The LD11 was definitely a one-off - new number deemed apt because it was so much different to take the wide Porsche unit. There were no other LD11s. I agree about the comment of the odd car - perhaps not a Dulon after all.

#8 r.atlos

r.atlos

• 416 posts

Posted 18 March 2010 - 13:17

I found this thread quite by accident when discussing a Dulon / Gypsy subject at "autodiva".

After almost 6 years David might be interested to hear that the opening photo of this thread shows, indeed, Gebhard Zeller at Ecce Homo. The date was 31/08/1980; this was the first year with the modified front. Another picture can be found at www.euromontagna.com

First trace in Germany was a pair of small ads in November 1973 and January 1974 with a Munich phone number. The earliest race participation I can find was in the hands of Alfred Krohe at Neubiberg on 05/05/1974 and with Günter Lehmann on 20/10/1974 at the Bayrischzell hill climb. Both were from Gräfelfing (nr. Munich) and as far as I know members of the same club and quite close to each other, as was Manfred Anspann.

In January and December 1975 as well as in January 1976 followed a number of small ads by Alfred Krohe. I would suspect him as having been the owner all these years (seen the small ads) and he may have borrowed it to Lehmann and Anspann on occasions.

Then came the Zeller ownership (1978 - 1981 probably, as indicated above). Last time I found a trace of it was a small ad in February 1982 with a phone number from Bad Salzuflen, way up north from where the previous owners lived.

The pics from Peter Morley can be dated to approximately October 1991 - September 1992; that was the period when Chris Alford offered it for sale.

Edited by r.atlos, 18 March 2010 - 13:19.

#9 The Mountaineer

The Mountaineer

• 122 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 14:07

Zeller and Ilmer both used the car with a 1300 cc Ford engine. I remember Zeller talking about that Dulon as "Hasenstall" (rabbit's cage). Nevertheless he managed to sell the car to Ilmer, who never got it running properly. As far as I know, Ilmer's ownership must have been between Zeller and that ad from Bad Salzuflen.

#10 TASUMA

TASUMA

• 1 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 16:51

Zeller and Ilmer both used the car with a 1300 cc Ford engine. I remember Zeller talking about that Dulon as "Hasenstall" (rabbit's cage). Nevertheless he managed to sell the car to Ilmer, who never got it running properly. As far as I know, Ilmer's ownership must have been between Zeller and that ad from Bad Salzuflen.

May I give definitive reply to all the above
LD 10....this car was designed for the 1970 F100 formula for sports racer cars using 1300 stock production saloon car engines
First car delivered was to TONY BREWER. It was fitted with a JANSPEED Mini - Cooper 1275 S and Hewland g/box
First tested at Castle Coombe with the late Ian Taylor, it was over 4 seconds under the class lap record straight out of the box

LD 10 F We were approached by Mr GUIDETTI from Turin who asked us to supply complete kit to accommadate the Ferrari Dino 2.4, V6
He came via Heathrow, carrying a v6 block and a Collotti g/box casing, carried as hand luggage.
From derived information at one time this was in Sweden and fitted with an FVA
Car now belongs to Keith Martin in Milton keynes, and is just completing a complete rebuild back to the original specification

LD 10 car built for Les Margetts, our in - house fibreglass man

LD 10 kit car believed to have gone to Germany ( I had left the company by then ) But car is currently in my workshop undergoing
rework to fit Lotus twincam

LD 11 NEW CHASSIS DESIGN, 8" wider than LD 10. Original design for Chris Boulter with an ex - Watson FVA
We could not get the engine to run properly, Chris never used it but sold it to TONY GOODWIN
ie GOODWIN car was LD 11 NOT LD 10

LD 11P Built for Martin Ridehalgh, chassis had completely different design from roll - over bulkhead backwards
Car currenly campaigned by Keith Martin, see LD 10F

That was the last car I designed for Dulon before I left at the end of 1970

Later built cars called VIKING, for Alan Baillie and some 750 MC chassis

BILL LONGLEY FOUNDER OF DULON CARS

#11 oetztal

oetztal

• 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 06:38

Racing at Alpl Austria 1984.
I have owned the car for a few years.

dulon-my-race-car.jpg

alpl-1984-2.jpg