Photo

Japan Grand Prix TV coverage

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 06:54

This was indeed worst coverage of the year. Director missed almost everything and he has not clue what was going on there...v :down:

Advertisement

#2 NickeF1

NickeF1

• 1,090 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:08

Can only agree, i actually hoped that Sato would retire so we wouldnt have to see him 99% of the time.

#3 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:15

It was difficult to understand for me why he is afraid to stick on somebody in midfield for a while and he often escapes at worst moment when something was happening and his befuddled 1 second long shots were horrible.

And Sato all the time....

#4 Tuffy

Tuffy

• 2,151 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:17

Originally posted by NickeF1
Can only agree, i actually hoped that Sato would retire so we wouldnt have to see him 99% of the time.

:up:

#5 Alapan

Alapan

• 6,243 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:24

The annoying part was the director cutting away everytime there was a passing move in the horizon.

#6 Ozz88

Ozz88

• 109 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:27

It almost looked the director did it on purpose, so bad was it :down:

Bad tv coverage happens a bit too often, I find it amazing that this is appearently something Bernie can't control.

#7 random

random

• 4,890 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:42

Did anyone even see the Barrichello/ Coulthard incident? The commentators on Speed said it was never shown on the world feed...

One would think at least one of the two, or some cars running behind them had in-car cameras. So you'd think we would at least have seen that video. I always thought the entirety of the video from each in-car camera feed was recorded for the entire race, whether it's broadcast or not.

But since the in-car cam's are usually run by Bernie's boys, perhaps it's their fault we didn't see the incident. In the past they've been pretty stingy with in-car feeds allowed on the world feed.

#8 dgsg

dgsg

• 631 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 07:45

Worst I ever saw! :down:

#9 Sandeep Banerjee

Sandeep Banerjee

• 138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:00

Yep, pathetic and hopeless coverage.

#10 AD

AD

• 3,364 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 08:38

I couldn't believe it when the director switched to Sato on his own, when we had Villeneuve, Montoya, Raikonnen, and Barrichello all trying to pass each other going into turn 1 :mad:

#11 siggers

siggers

• 1,368 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:01

Incredibly frustrating. Always give the spectator just a little peek at some tantalizing action going on somewhere and then cut away. At least we all had an opportunity to catch up in depth with Sato's problem with HANS or his helmet or whatever ...

I think the quality of the tv coverage over the year is an accurate measure of the contempt in which the powers that be in the sport hold the fan. Even if it starts to seem to turn out to be a bit of a shortsighted perspective.

#12 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:03

You think you guys had it bad. Not only did we have to put up with the Japanese director, the Channel 10 broadcast of it was so ridiculously castrated. Only an hour and a half after the race "started" on TV here and I'm already back on Atlas forums posting about the race :rolleyes:

#13 PhilKerr

PhilKerr

• 1,572 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:08

Shocking TV direction today

FOM should take over the direction of the world feed for all races

#14 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:23

I am just watcing ETCC race in Dubai. First-lap 2nd race pile-up (Rydell even ends up-side down), and they are just missing everything :rolleyes:

Is it really such difficult to have top-level quality TV coverage in 21st century?

Japan TV coverage was really really bad. Bernie should shut the **** up until he deserves his money for TV rights.

#15 Orin

Orin

• 8,444 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:38

Originally posted by PhilKerr
Shocking TV direction today

FOM should take over the direction of the world feed for all races

:up: It'd certainly help, in most seasons several good races are ruined by the local broadcaster. I've got a sinking feeling Brazil's going to be bad as well - assuming that Rubens has a strong race this year.

#16 Formula-1

Formula-1

• 443 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:42

What happened to the team radio broadcast from last race? :

#17 Dragonfly

Dragonfly

• 4,496 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:42

Did not read others' comments but AWFULL. More nationalism than sport. Hope that director commits a sepuko.

#18 daishi255

daishi255

• 276 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:43

Bernie - as commercial rights holder - really needs to get the tv coverage sorted out for next year. local stations shouldn't be allowed to direct the TV feed - especially if there's a local driver in the race like Sato today. We need ppl who know what the world tv audience wants to see - ie the action - and can balance that with local interest.

Does anyone know if this is the same director as the 2002 race when he follow Sato for half the race even though he was just cruising around out of touch with the Montoya in front of him & with nobody coming up behind him?

Anyway, bring on the Bernie TV coverage for those 5 or 6 ( or what ever it is) races next year

#19 PLAYLIFE

PLAYLIFE

• 1,108 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 09:49

Originally posted by confucius
You think you guys had it bad. Not only did we have to put up with the Japanese director, the Channel 10 broadcast of it was so ridiculously castrated. Only an hour and a half after the race "started" on TV here and I'm already back on Atlas forums posting about the race :rolleyes:

It was disgraceful.

Of the 84 minutes of racing, we were shown 56 minutes, i.e., we did not see 33% of it.

Ch10 and Japanese Director :down:

Advertisement

#20 MuMu

MuMu

• 2,971 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:01

By far the worst I've seen for a long time.

#21 Deeq

Deeq

• 9,226 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:15

The less said the better. And to think this race was one of THE best of the season If not the best:down: :down: :down:

BTW can't they give the locals a dedicated feed of their own - so they can drool over the local compatriot all race long - as they used to have different feeds in the failed Bernie TV and give us the rest a "where is the action" feed. This tyrany of the locals must stop or is it a deliberate tactic/strategy by the powers that be(BE) in a power strugler againt Banks and Mfc aimed at deflating the value of.....
Or a strategy of giving the said failed adventure[Digital TV] a second chance at our expence! Hmn

I know very cynical but effective too the AFA the later is concerned. :|

#22 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:36

Very annoying indeed. The director seemed to purposely cut away any time there was an overtaking manouvre about to take place. :rolleyes:

#23 kismet

kismet

• 7,376 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:41

I thought it was roughly on par with our local commentary today. ):

#24 pippin

pippin

• 741 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:42

I can only agree wholeheartedly with everything said on here. TV coverage was the worst I've ever seen. So bad in fact that the ad breaks didn't annoy me at all.

#25 confucius

confucius

• 2,568 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 10:53

Originally posted by PLAYLIFE

It was disgraceful.

Of the 84 minutes of racing, we were shown 56 minutes, i.e., we did not see 33% of it.

Ch10 and Japanese Director :down:

All because of bloody Australian Idol :rolleyes: Which incidentally ran (and consistently runs) 10 mins overtime. I would've preferred if Channel 10 delayed the F1 broadcast til 10:30pm rather than show us a grossly castrated coverage. 10hrs of Bathurst and just 90mins of F1. :down:

#26 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:33

Originally posted by Tomecek
This was indeed worst coverage of the year. Director missed almost everything and he has not clue what was going on there...v :down:

It was even worse than in Magny-Cours, where at least there wasn't all that much to be missed by the director. This time it was a Honda fetish instead of a Renault one, but the problem was that several on-track fights (one with 4 or 5 cars) were going on, we were watching Button or Sato. Terrible.

#27 MrSlow

MrSlow

• 4,928 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:41

They must change the rules. Less, or maybe more, aero, 23 cylinder engines, 2 speed gearboxes!
It was a horrible race! Or... maybe it wasn't, we did not really get to see it.

Seriously, I was fuming. I had gotten up early to watch the damn race and the strange qualifying hade made a grid that promised action. And Action it was, plenty of it everywhere on track.
JV was holding up a bunch of fast cars and JPM, Kimi and Rubens was around him like flies around a sugar cube. The director did not find that interesting. The director did not seem to find anything at all interesting. I was so angry that I could not watch it anymore. I switched off and went to bed.

I hope that the man reponsible for that production are never ever again allowed to work with a F1, or any other sporting event for that matter.

F1 MUST adress this thing. A good TV coverage is worth a lot more than a dozen rule changes.

#28 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:45

Originally posted by Deeq
The less said the better. And to think this race was one of THE best of the season If not the best:down: :down: :down:

BTW can't they give the locals a dedicated feed of their own - so they can drool over the local compatriot all race long - as they used to have different feeds in the failed Bernie TV and give us the rest a "where is the action" feed. This tyrany of the locals must stop or is it a deliberate tactic/strategy by the powers that be(BE) in a power strugler againt Banks and Mfc aimed at deflating the value of.....
Or a strategy of giving the said failed adventure[Digital TV] a second chance at our expence! Hmn

I know very cynical but effective too the AFA the later is concerned. :|

One indeed gets the impression that The Powers That Be wants the fans to go pay-per-view or some such, and that the worldfeed needs to be as bad as humanly possible.

#29 MrSlow

MrSlow

• 4,928 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:51

Originally posted by Wouter

One indeed gets the impression that The Powers That Be wants the fans to go pay-per-view or some such, and that the worldfeed needs to be as bad as humanly possible.

...but there is no PPV... By the time we have it again, no one is watching F1 anymore. If this director succeeds in his mission.

#30 WACKO

WACKO

• 2,293 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:52

Today showed why FOM should take it all into its own hands. This was far below any level. It was as if I was watching the race from Sato perspective only. I can not understand why TV stations have not yet voiced complaints.

#31 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 11:59

Originally posted by Dragonfly
Did not read others' comments but AWFULL. More nationalism than sport. Hope that director commits a sepuko.

Sepuku Why was it a female director?

#32 Wouter

Wouter

• 5,778 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 12:05

Originally posted by MrSlow

...but there is no PPV... By the time we have it again, no one is watching F1 anymore. If this director succeeds in his mission.

Well, than I guess they are trying to get PPV up and running again, and hope to have sufficient customers now by showing as good as nothing of the race on worldfeed.

#33 Rob G

Rob G

• 11,591 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 14:05

I stayed up until after 3am to watch the race and ended up going to bed angry. That idiot managed to ruin what was a very exciting race. :down:

#34 Enkei

Enkei

• 5,853 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 14:13

Originally posted by Rob G
I stayed up until after 3am to watch the race and ended up going to bed angry. That idiot managed to ruin what was a very exciting race. :down:

I just decided to go to sleep. I really wasn't in the mood staying awake for such a shitty directed race. I watched the remaining 30 laps this afternoon on the re-live.

#35 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 15:43

Originally posted by Wouter

It was even worse than in Magny-Cours, where at least there wasn't all that much to be missed by the director. This time it was a Honda fetish instead of a Renault one, but the problem was that several on-track fights (one with 4 or 5 cars) were going on, we were watching Button or Sato. Terrible.

I was frustrated when he went away from some fights and overtaking which were just about to happen or when he cut to lonely circling drivers (mainly Sato and then Schumi) in moments when there were fights behind them...

#36 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 15:46

Originally posted by MrSlow
I hope that the man reponsible for that production are never ever again allowed to work with a F1, or any other sporting event for that matter.

I am sure that guy has not any experience with any motorsport event yet.

#37 MrSlow

MrSlow

• 4,928 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 16:15

Originally posted by Tomecek
I am sure that guy has not any experience with any motorsport event yet.

But they should have let him practice on some local kettcar races for about 5 years before they let him lose on "the biggest sport event in the world".

#38 Rediscoveryx

Rediscoveryx

• 3,336 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 16:20

Absolutely terrible production once again :down:

I can't believe that Bernie allows this to go on - how many races are FOM producing next year?

#39 Zmeej

Zmeej

• 66,570 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 17:37

Most of the badness already mentioned above, but I'll add:

Did we really need to see Sato fumbling with his HANS and helmet straps for a full minute? :rolleyes:

Advertisement

#40 AS110

AS110

• 293 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 18:53

After watching Bathurst all day the F1 race sucked and I fell asleep a few times.I doubt if a thing is missed in the Bathurst coverage - it's a standard that surely the megabucks F1 could meet...it's only money really.

#41 santori

santori

• 4,099 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 19:02

And for all the shots of Sato they missed him at important moments, too. :down: (I'm thinking of another hand gesture but the site doesn't offer it).

#42 Flash

Flash

• 1,168 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 20:35

It was completely annoying to watch Takuma Grand Prix :down: :down:
That tv director is a disgrace.

We missed a lot, it's incredible that we couldn't see DC and RB incident, nor we saw JPM, JV, RB and KM fighting for position, and DC with MW I believe (I just saw glimpses I believe)....

I would had been better if Sato had retired as someone else pointed out :o

#43 nigel red5

nigel red5

• 9,468 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 22:16

Today was the return of a vanished age that many F1 fans over the age of 30 will well remember. The age of nationalistic pride.

From reading the thread the Fuji coverage of Takuma Sato has angered many people. To be honest it did`nt grate me at all really. By lap 30 of 53 the race was already dying as a spectacle, with large gaps appearring on the timing screen, so they spent some time focusing on the local boy, so what? Up until the mid 1990s this was usual procedure You should try watching the 1995 German Grand Prix where after the end of lap 1 you`ll get treated to a 44 lap test session by one Michael Schumacher.

The patriotism shown by Fuji is`nt a factor really.. it`s an excuse by many F1 fans to vent frustration with the sport, simply because by lap 25 the race had had the guts ripped out of it, and everyone was left feeling deflated, dare i say cheated, because there was no longer anything of great significance to watch anymore.

The only aspect for which Fuji can be criticized, is the way they handled those first 20 laps, plus the Coulthard-Barrichello incident. Showing no replays of that until the highlights roll after the press conference was poor. It`s unfortunate because the Japanese had done an excellent job all weekend until that point. Friday was undoubtedly a nightmare for everyone concerned with the host broadcast, but still they did a good job. It was all washed away though by some poor directing decisions in the early stages of the Grand Prix. Shame. :
As for it being the worst race production of the season, then i`ve only got one thing to say to that......... TF1.

I definitely agree with those so far who are calling for the FOM to cover all the events in the championship.

#44 baddog

baddog

• 29,554 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 22:26

Originally posted by nigel red5
By lap 30 of 53 the race was already dying as a spectacle, with large gaps appearring on the timing screen, so they spent some time focusing on the local boy, so what?

They didnt wait till lap 30 though.. they were focusing on sato tot he exclusion of whatever else was happening from the get-go.

Im a bit of a sato fan, but this time it WAS beyond a joke.

#45 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 23:00

The TV coverage was incredibly bad. Basically everytime some overtaking move started, the director cut away and showed some other car. Even the commentators on German Premiere were speechless sometimes, since apparently even THEY did not get coverage of the overtaking move.

The director did not even cut back to the cars overtaking each other, you had to wait for the next time the race order was shown on screen to see whether driver A overtook driver B or not.

A propos "race order": what happened to the good old race order with gaps shown on screen? Most of the time, we only got the race order with pit stops, but that is completely useless for figuring out whether a driver is closing on the car in front or not. Without my laptop and live timing from formula1.com, I would feel completely lost when watching a race on TV. I wouldn't have any idea what's going on.

And about that new feature they had since the last GP (the throttle/brake/revs thingy, don't know whether it's shown everywhere or not) : completely useless! I really would have liked to see how drivers took the various turns, how soon they accelerated out of a turn, etc. But nooooo - they ONLY showed the throttle info on the straights, and as soon as a car approached a turn, they cut to a helicopter view or whatever and TURNED OFF the throttle info. Completely useless. Why couldn't they e.g. show the info ALL THE TIME during qualifying? Would have really been nice to see how the drivers accelerated/braked in wet conditions.

#46 30ft penguin

30ft penguin

• 2,522 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 23:02

Originally posted by Flash
I would had been better if Sato had retired as someone else pointed out :o

They just would have shown him sitting in the garage, playing scrabble with his mechanics.

#47 condor

condor

• 12,509 posts

Posted 10 October 2004 - 23:25

Perhaps it's another Bernie ploy so that next year we feel more inclined to subscribe to Bernievision ;)

....or rather Bernievision is demanded by the sponsors .

#48 F1 Tor.

F1 Tor.

• 2,832 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 00:56

I couldn't believe I was sitting up at 2:30 am and missing sleep to watch that ****. My god!! I know you can't get all the images/events right away but at LEAST try to find footage of Taku passing Jenson and the RB/DC scrap. I don't care if it's 10 minutes later when I get the footage, just show it to me!!! :down:

#49 BuonoBruttoCattivo

BuonoBruttoCattivo

• 4,430 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 00:56

Farcical and amateurish at best.
Disgusting. :down:
I'm still pissed at stupid Italian direction, but this takes the biscuit.
And its strange considering so much F1 "heritage" and F1 TV 'experience' in both nations.

It was like TV director cuts to Brazilian football coach smoking a fag talking to assistant right before Ronaldo is about to score... . :down:

Talking about Brazil, lets hope this crap we just witnessed was the worse.

#50 dworsham

dworsham

• 1,169 posts

Posted 11 October 2004 - 01:00

It seems to me that Bernnie EEK-il-stone could make sure there are some standards in broadcasting our sport.

the current situation is horrible.

I would pay to get good coverage. Here in the US, where Bernnie claims to want to grow, we have no option but Speedtv the world feed that receive.

pure crap.

I keep the TV on just for the sounds and spend the race hours glued to atlas and formula1.com

crap
pure crap :evil: