Photo

Motor racing pubs, bars, restaurants, hotels etc (merged)

• Please log in to reply
256 replies to this topic

#151 Kpy

Kpy

• 1,249 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 22:16

In Paris last week for Retromobile, I found www.relais-lagrange.com
Highly recommended for a motor racing ambiance - nostalgia oriented.
Bertrand Guichard has a wine bar/bar/restaurant dedicated to motor racing, complete with a slot-racing circuit which descends from the ceiling to fill an entire bar, which can be Montlhery, Goodwood, or various others. There's a large flat screen on which you can watch anything from Steve McQueen's Le Mans to the latest Goodwood revival DVD, along with a motor racing library. Free parking for "nostalgic cars" officially authorisied at a nearby bus stop at certain times, particularly Sundays. A big Jaguar following, and lots of British enthusiasts/clubs are associated.
I have absolutely no commercial connection with the place whatsoever, but I'm going back - the food and wines are great and very good value, the welcome almost over the top, and it's cheap to reach on my over 60's train pass!!
I shall suggest a TNF Paris meet-up there soon, when I'm certain that She Who Must Be Obeyed is visiting Maman en Angleterre, or sliding down an alp.

There's also been no mention of Hotel de France at La Chartre-sur-le-Loir, a hotel/restaurant with very close connections with Le Mans and a bar full of signed photos to die for. The restaurant is excellent, with a wine list to match, at very reasonable prices. The time to meet there is lunchtime the Friday of le Mans week - that's Friday 10 June this year. You'll find a range of virtually all marques of classic sports cars parked outside, with their owners chatting away in the bar and restaurant, and overspilling into the square. I'll be there. Again, no commercial connection.

Advertisement

#152 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,192 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 00:19

It's amazing what you can overhear in the Sparkford Inn in Sparkford. Slap bang opposite Haynes Publishing's offices .... where long boozy pub lunches discussing forthcoming projects are not yet dead!

But my lips are sealed .... :cat:

#153 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,256 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 01:02

Motor racing oriented pubs are very rare in Western Canada. TEJ might have some ideas but the only one I can think of is motor racing oriented because I was asked by the interior designer to supply a number of photos of local racing-at Westwood-strangley enough, many of the pictures had me in them somewhere! When I was spending most of my time in a classic/race car restoration shop we simply went to the nearest stripper bar so I suppose they had a racy theme (groan). There is a wonderful restaurant/pub in Seattle that has classic Ducati motorcycles everywhere....
Canada tends to be quite pc

#154 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:35

Just to clear up a couple of issues, the Grunhalle Hillclimb March was definatetly Chris Cramer, which ran first with 4 cylinder and then IIRC a 3.4 BDG V6.
Chris Crawford of ADA was in Willow Grove where he ran a business essentially selling race gearbox parts. The TR was a disaster, but the ADA which was prepared in house was a bit more succesful, and achieved a first in class of some sort at LeMans,(or was that the Gebhart?). Ian harrower was the driver.
I sold an XJ V12 Coupe to Crawford who rang me the next day to tell me he had an indicated 155 on the M1 and he was very happy with it!

The Rob Oldacre reffered to in the March Allegro is now the MD of MG Rover - he was a development engineer for Austin Rover Triumph at the time.

#155 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:51

Originally posted by Huw Jadvantich

The Rob Oldacre reffered to in the March Allegro is now the MD of MG Rover - he was a development engineer for Austin Rover Triumph at the time.

Yes, I've had a meeting in his office (he wasn't there!) - obviously still an enthusiast, he had most of the MG pit sign from the first Le Mans outing of the EX.257 on the wall, signed by everyone involved.

#156 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 11:53

Originally posted by Huw Jadvantich

I'm not sure "Austin Rover Triumph" was ever a division of BL - wasn't it "Austin Rover" and "Jaguar Rover Triumph"?

#157 Huw Jadvantich

Huw Jadvantich

• 602 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 21:14

Thats absolutely right P, BL Cars was split into Jaguar Rover Triumph and Austin Rover.
However at the time there really were no boundaries, and Longbridge design and development went hand in hand with that going on at Solihull and Canley.
TR7s with 'O' series engines and MG badges and Rover SD2 prototypes developed at Canley and similarly what might be considered Rover Triumph projects done at Longbridge. The only company that steadfastly kept itself adrift of this melee was Jaguar, the exception being its Durability operation which was done at Gaydon.

#158 Macca

Macca

• 3,537 posts

Posted 20 April 2005 - 17:12

Does anyone know the location used for the pub where the party is held after the British GP in the film 'Grand Prix'?

Posted Image

Very blurred still of Sarti outside........haven't managed to make out a name.

Paul M

#159 Nordic

Nordic

• 278 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 13:29

There are plans to turn the former 'Fairman's Garage' in Horley in Surrey into a pub.

The name will possibly be "Fearless Fairman" as a tribute to ex GP driver Jack Fairman.

Not sure what type of pub it will be, or even if the name Fairman will mean anything to the drinkers that go there.

Advertisement

#160 Terry Walker

Terry Walker

• 2,958 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 13:59

Just going back to Post 1, 4 pages ago ... where exactly was The Coal Hole? Midhurst? I still remember that line from Hawthorn's Champion Year setting out his route home. I gave the book away some years ago, but there you go.

#161 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:32

Originally posted by Macca
Does anyone know the location used for the pub where the party is held after the British GP in the film 'Grand Prix'?

Posted Image

Paul M

Cannot offer a name, but Flowers (the brewery whose name can be seen in the picture) were responsible for the start of horrid "keg" (i.e. "dead" beer stored under CO2 pressure) and must therefore live in infamy!:smoking:

PdeRL

#162 D-Type

D-Type

• 9,083 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 12:56

Originally posted by Macca

Posted Image

Paul M

Surely that's an RAC badge - does anybody have a contemporary RAC book?

#163 Mallory Dan

Mallory Dan

• 3,013 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 13:46

I thought it was Watneys who started the Red-Keg revolution.

I have a copy of the first ever GBG, but not the one where their pubs are quoted as "avoid like the plague". I recall the publishers had to do a reprint amending this item, the few that were sent out with it in are like gold-dust apparently.

#164 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 17:26

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

I have a copy of the first ever GBG, but not the one where their pubs are quoted as "avoid like the plague". I recall the publishers had to do a reprint amending this item, the few that were sent out with it in are like gold-dust apparently.

I've heard tell of some early editions with cunning misprints in them. Pubs that did lock-ins 'accidentally' had sentences in their descriptions that ended with two full stops, etc.;)

#165 bill moffat

bill moffat

• 1,411 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 18:13

Not a pub in the true sense but a rendezvous for hundreds of migrating Brits during the Le Mans dash every year...

The village is Beaumont sur Sarthe just North of Le Mans and there is a terraced bar overlooking the village centre. So you sit in the sun (for it is always sunny) on one of their plastic wicker chairs and watch the antics of Caterhams, D type replicas etc as they launch from the lights. Inevitably conversation turns to "this time yesterday I was sitting in my office and it was pissing it down outside" or a lager-fuelled discussion as to whose fault it was that you've forgotten the charcoal/toilet rolls/FM radios/stand tickets.

Happy days, and only 20 weeks to go..

#166 VAR1016

VAR1016

• 2,825 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 19:33

Originally posted by Mallory Dan

Yes Watney's was famous for the watery near-beer sold as "Red Barrel", but it was Flower's that was first with the dreaded gassy stuff.

On this subject I suppose the absolute worst I ever tasted - if I can use the verb in connexion with a product that had no flavour - was called "Allbright".

Disgusting; reminds me of CAMRA's slogan: "Miller Lite: the nearest thing to an empty glass."

PdeRL

#167 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 19:45

Originally posted by Twin Window
The euphoria was short-lived, however, as we were all transfered to Teddington not long afterwards.

And they've moved them to the other side of Teddington now, 4 buildings condensed into one massive facility behind Pinewood Studios. Very posh, very modern, very techy. Very McLaren first test.

Upon my debut arrival I pressed my electronic pass on the turnstile, the light turns green, and I walk forward. The turnstile doesnt move. I try again, green light, this time it goes. It will do this in every occurence.

I walk a few feet and "err, sir"

"yes"
"when did you get this pass"
"I dunno, whenever you sat us all down and took our photos and handed them out"
"yes we're going to need to take this and until you get your new one you'll need to sign in every day on a temporary pass"
"...right"

A few moments later
"...im 10 seconds away from my desk"
"no, im on the wrong floor"

In the meeting room I was in the door handle promptly fell off. New buildings never have the thermostats set right so we upped the heat a bit. Still wasnt enough so another click. By mid afternoon we had scarves on. Why is the thermostat backwards? Charm perhaps?

Was later locked in a hall. Why? Because some doors need your pass, even when inside the building, though there are not differing levels of security. Fortunately there are lots of maintenance people around these days so I was quickly discovered. But who carries their pass around their neck the entire time?

Finally at the end of my day, very much looking forward to escaping the living mechanical DNF I had a brisk pace towards the electric sliding double glass front doors. Waiting, waiting, why isnt the sensor picking me up....*thud*

And the front step is all but impossible to describe. Each step is on a 45 degree angle. From left to right. The next from right to left. Repeat at your leisure. Its easier for me at 5'11 to just jump the steps and hope I land properly.

#168 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 19:59

For the benefit of [possibly most] readers, the studios in which Haymarket are now ensconced are better known historically as Thames Television Studios where, amongst others, Benny Hill (who lived just down the road) made his TV progs.

And to bring this back on topic, the Anglers pub next door now presumably qualifies as a motor racing watering hole, as might my former backer the Royal Oak just down the road!

How was your commute, Ross? A mate of mine in LAT told me today he's considering buying a canoe to negotiate the segment between the car park the other side of Kingston and HQ...! :lol:

#169 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,078 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 20:12

'massive facility behind Pinewood Studios.'
Yes, I was getting very confused with that. Pinewood Studios are in Buckinghamshire, some 50 miles away???

#170 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 20:40

Originally posted by Gary C

'massive facility behind Pinewood Studios.'
Yes, I was getting very confused with that. Pinewood Studios are in Buckinghamshire, some 50 miles away???

Ross wouldn't have been aware of the old name, I imagine, having not been long in the area, but Pinewood bought the Thames TV Studios at some point (I didn't realise that either) and renamed them accordingly - hence my clarification.

By the way... the now sold-on Hampton Road building (built/developed in 1979) was the first of the Teddington Haymarket premises, and the one we on Autosport were shipped into in the spring of 1980. On the opposite side of the road from there are the National Physical Laboratories, which is where Barnes Wallis developed the 'bouncing bomb' in model form, and which was ultimately used in the WWII raids on the Moehne, Eder and Sorpe dams.

The RAF's 617 Squadron were charged with the assault, led by Wing Commander Guy Gibson, and using AVRO Lancaster bombers. AVRO was established by Haymarket director Eric Verdon-Roe's grandfather (or possibly great-grandfather). Small world, huh?

[/teddington-tour-guide]

#171 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,662 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 20:49

For the benefit of [possibly most] readers, the studios in which Haymarket are now ensconced are better known historically as Thames Television Studios where, amongst others, Benny Hill (who lived just down the road) made his TV progs.

And to bring this back on topic, the Anglers pub next door now presumably qualifies as a motor racing watering hole, as might my former backer the Royal Oak just down the road!

How was your commute, Ross? A mate of mine in LAT told me today he's considering buying a canoe to negotiate the segment between the car park the other side of Kingston and HQ...! :lol:

I hit pay dirt. I live just off Broom road. I can walk to my humble (shared) abode in the time it takes most to get to their cars. The Anglers is my local, we figured we'd set up a beachhead there in early 05 and get a jump on the Haymarket move. A sort of express lane if you will. After about 8 weeks we gave up, we simply were'nt making any progress.

We refer to it as "Teddington Studios" though its owned by Pinewood and I dont know the history. I think Trisha is filmed there, Im thinking about signing up for tickets if for no other reason than to stand up from my desk and say out loud "well, im late for taping" Autosport.com publisher claimed to have see Antonio Banderas lately. Personally I think the next Haymarket publication should be a Teddington Studios newsletter, and I can edit "seen lately..."

Apparently someone managed to get their way into the Teddington Studios canteen (there's a catering service there too) and issued an email about a 1pound 50 bacon bap the size of your head. That was quickly quashed like a late 70's former soviet block rebellion.

When the whale appeared, it seemed I was the only person in the Hesseltine Empire (jesus did you see the BBC2 program about his trees?! :eek: ) to realise we were the first lock the whale would encounter. I was ready to pull LAT photographers to photograph it passing under the Teddington lock bridge.

I feel bad for the majority of the workforce, we're now at the wrong end of the High Street. Our nearest major retailer is a Volvo dealership, not a Tesco. Still, just over 10 minutes from this computer to the company computer. Trying to find the highest Haymarket exec without a dedicated parking slot, as I've got one going to waste out front of my house...

#172 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,078 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 20:49

what goes around comes around !!

#173 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 21:04

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

I live just off Broom road.

Bugger me! I lived off Broom Road - twice - at 'Blind Terry's' place on Trowlock Avenue!

Watch out for the stag beetles in the summer; they're flamin' evil, and they attack your head. I'm not kidding!

Apparently someone managed to get their way into the Teddington Studios canteen (there's a catering service there too) and issued an email about a 1pound 50 bacon bap the size of your head.

I gather the sarnies at £2.75, and coffee at £1.25 haven't gone down too well (no pun intended). Not surprising, really, given that they're more expensive than even [the former] British Rail...

#174 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:19

In an effort to generate publicity - and hopefully, therefore, sponsorship - I had the Sparton FTalbot on show in the aforementioned Royal Oak pub [of Teddington] for ten days during 1981;

Posted Image

(And if Pete Fenelon is reading this, the girl I'm looking at was (at the time) a friend of Kate Bush... :p )

#175 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:33

In an effort to generate publicity - and hopefully, therefore, sponsorship - I had the Sparton FTalbot on show in the aforementioned Royal Oak pub [of Teddington] for ten days during 1981;

Posted Image

(And if Pete Fenelon is reading this, the girl I'm looking at was (at the time) a friend of Kate Bush... :p )

Oh don't ;) -- I can just about cope with A1GP and Daytona simultaneously at the moment, adding friends of Kate Bush to the mix might just overload my poor brain ;)

#176 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,662 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 11:49

I had to use beerintheevening.com to remember which was the Royal Oak. Tis no more.

#177 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:34

Originally posted by Ross Stonefeld

Tis no more.

Really? It used to be just past the old disused church on the left as you approach the shops, heading away from the studios...

Has it changed name, or has it... gone?!

(Talking of that church, that's where a-ha filmed the video for their second UK single 'The sun only shines on TV' in around 1983/4 - the one which used all the mannequins. They used to come in for last orders every night for about a fortnight, but nobody knew who they were only what they were up to. A couple of weeks after they'd gone 'Take on me' was released, and went staight to #1 in the UK charts!)

#178 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,662 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:47

using bite.com as our pub crawl generator when we got here in February 05, we spent one night each in all our locals. Our first night at the Royal Oak we had gone to watch Arsenal play someone, probably Bayern Munch in Champs League; and they were having an auction. We realised after a few minutes they were auctioning things off the walls, furniture, etc. It was being demolished soon. We went back one more time for a last hurrah within the next 10 days and its now a building site for I think some flats? A year later its still a build site, I have no idea whats going on behind the barriers. I had heard they were going to have a pub on the ground floor and the upper levels would be homes, in your typical high street fashion. The ground floor may end up being a different sort of shop, I cant remember anymore. I did know at the time they were telling us about it the owner was going to do very well from the deal.

But we enjoyed the aspect of its removed-from-road feeling.

#179 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 12:54

I just checked the first website you mentioned; it is listed but as you say, it's now closed/been flattened (it shut roughly a year ago, judging by the comments posted).

A shame really - I have some great memories of the place...

Advertisement

#180 Alan Lewis

Alan Lewis

• 426 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 13:42

All these posts and no-one's mentioned the Thames Ditton Foot Rally; perhaps the ultimate expression of pub/motorsport fusion?

Come now, there must be many a shocking tale to unfold...

APL

#181 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 13:51

I did the TD Foot Rally for the first two years along with a mate. I forget when it started (1986?), but in year one we were entered as Minardi Team Sex and the following year as Normally Aspirated Team Sex.

Brilliant event - Rob Arthur and co were great - and I have a few pics somewhere, but strangely I can't remember too many details...  ;)

#182 jonpollak

jonpollak

• 28,278 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 16:27

AHH HA....FOUND YA
I love some of the quotes about this place...

Agggh - what has happened to the Anglers? Has gone all smart, with a level of pretentiousness to match, but is still soul-less. full of kids in the evenings (of the teenage variety) and even smaller ones during the day. made the mistake of being talked into a visit on christmas eve. remarkably unpleasant experience, mostly being shoved around by drunk boys, and left as soon as I could think of a good excuse and went somewhere else
patsy - 27 Jan 2006 16:01

...the best pub in town if you don't mind your pint being overturned by a 6 year kid running riot around your table.

:lol:

Jp

#183 gwk

gwk

• 107 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 18:42

No real pubs at all in the US, of course, but the Oak Tree Tavern in the restored circa 1850 plantation house on Virginia International Raceway (www.virclub.com) is a pretty pleasant place for a beer. Named for the track's most famous turn (Oak Tree, that is, at the very southern end of the course) it's a smallish room with half a dozen tables, a bar, and a wall covered with 30 or 40 photos from the track's heyday in the 60's. Lots of familiar names are represented - Mark Donohue with a young Roger Penske, a very young Carroll Shelby, A.J. Foyt, Richie Ginther with Phil Hill, and Richard Petty, to name the ones that I could identify and remember. Another wall holds contemporary pictures of cars from recent historic meetings. Beer's good (Sierra Nevada on tap), BBQ ribs are good, and I bet that lies about lap times flow freely.

#184 zac510

zac510

• 1,713 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 19:13

Great thread :) I live quite close to the Windsor Castle. I found their website (http://www.windsor-castle-pub.co.uk/) and noticed they have a great looking beer garden. I'll drag my friends down there and try and remember motorsport days!

#185 Sharman

Sharman

• 5,284 posts

Posted 07 March 2006 - 17:50

Somebody mentioned the Wheel and ladies of the night. I remember a very hairy night with JVB & GG when every body was completely loaded. Bolster declaimed the WHOLE of Eskimo Nell, and then passed out printed copies of the work.
Nobody has mentioned the RED LION at Little Budworth which had used to have a magnificent collection of autographed photographs. It was located justy a short Grand Prix away from Oulton :drunk:

#186 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 13 December 2006 - 23:59

Originally posted by D-Type

Surely that's an RAC badge - does anybody have a contemporary RAC book?

I think it's "The Farningham Hotel", A20 Farningham Hill, just after the Vauxhall Dealership roundabout at the bottom of Death Hill, on the left hand side London Bound.

#187 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 00:06

I have just returned from Manchester attending my daughter's graduation ceremony and afterwards we went for dinner in an Italian Restaurant called Felicini's on the Wilmslow Road in Didsbury. I wondered if anyone had any info on the place as it had some great Motor racing pictures dotted about. Siffert's March being fuelled at a BP Station, Rindt and Chapman in the pits at (I think the '68 GP at Brands) Ronnie's Smog Techno and Ganley on the front row of the grid at Silverstone in an F3 car. Some great photos, a lot in Black and white. Makes a change from modern art and abstract etchings :rolleyes:

#188 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 8,358 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 17:37

Perhaps Simon Arron might be called upon to contribute some memories of the Red Lion at Little Budworth ..........

#189 Ross Stonefeld

Ross Stonefeld

• 62,662 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 20:03

Really? It used to be just past the old disused church on the left as you approach the shops, heading away from the studios...

Has it changed name, or has it... gone?!

Its back! Its now the "bar OAK grill" according to the sign. Same owners apparently. It sits right on the street side, but has glass walls all around so it looks to have a very open loungy feel. People watching is vastly underrated, sometimes we go to the Wimpy on the high street so we can sit next to the pavement! We can't really afford or be bothered with the various cafes and boutique restaurants.

The note on the door said their opening party was 5:30 this past Wednesday, but that was also the evening of the Haymarket Christmas party so no one has been in yet. When we saw the sign on Tuesday it didn't look like it was ready to be finished. It's meant to have a below-ground restaurant.

Tide End just redid their menu. A little more dear than we were used to (or spoiled by).

The Anglers just keeps getting worse and worse.

#190 sterling49

sterling49

• 10,917 posts

Posted 14 December 2006 - 20:40

Originally posted by MCS
Anybody familiar with "The Portobello Inn" ?

Tony Trimmer's efforts in F5000 were often supported by the said "Inn" - I'm sure it must have been a real place, but have any of us been there ?

Was it (as I assume) in Kent and, therefore, not in West London, or have I got it completely wrong...?

Mark

It's in West Kingsdown, and is still unchanged, used to go in there a looong time ago, it was patronised with many racing drivers of the time. If you turn right out of the Paddock Entrance and go to the top of the road, it's on the corner as you join the (old) A20.

#191 MCS

MCS

• 4,146 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 10:43

Originally posted by sterling49
I think it's "The Farningham Hotel", A20 Farningham Hill, just after the Vauxhall Dealership roundabout at the bottom of Death Hill, on the left hand side London Bound.

Also see this thread http://forums.autosp...757#post2577757

#192 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 13 August 2007 - 08:48

Now this is a handy program :wave:

http://mappyhour.nerl.net/index.php

#193 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 23 December 2007 - 00:00

I noticed that the Animals are playing here in 2008...any motor racing connection for the Brooklands Club?

Saturday 22nd March 008
Brooklands Club, Leighton Buzzard
Tel 07981812977

#194 RS2000

RS2000

• 2,413 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 20:11

The Mitre Oak today (south of Kidderminster on the Worcester road). Well known watering hole for those heading east from Shelsley Walsh in years gone by (and a fairly recent or current venue for HSA AGMs etc?).
Allegedly the pub a party of competitors were drinking in when someone mentioned a disused airfield at Silverstone and they headed off to take look?
Posted Image

#195 Patrick Fletcher

Patrick Fletcher

• 757 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:33

Russley Hotel in Christchurch NZ will close its doors for the last time this Saturday.
Lots of drivers stayed there over the years - some slept as well.
Great place on warm nights to have a beer around the pool.
Seems that it will be rebuilt into a retirement home.
Most kiwis who went to Wigram and Ruapuna will have a story ..............

#196 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:02

Originally posted by Patrick Fletcher
Most kiwis who went to Wigram and Ruapuna will have a story ..............

Not for publication :lol:
Perry's Occidental in Latimer Square was the place for post-Wigram celebrations in the '60s - it could tell some stories too

#197 fbarrett

fbarrett

• 1,154 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 20:37

Friends:

What was the name of the old race bar in Lexington, Ohio, near Mid-Ohio? I recall going in there many years ago, but when I returned a few years back, it had burned, and a new, plasticky place down the street (Quaker Steak & Ale?) had taken over.

Frank

#198 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:10

Interesting thread...

I was a member of Steering Wheel Club from '79 to '82 when I worked in Berkeley Square. £25 pa and a wonderful oasis in Mayfair. Great atmosphere, bar food and an excellent restaurant. I didn't come across all that many motor racing heroes though, not even local resident, Sir Stirling... It went downhill after it changed hands and closed shortly afterwards.

The next office was in Kensington and I recall going to the Windsor Castle - wasn't that where James Hunt and Noel Edmonds decided upon their ill fated Tour of Britain?

What is the name of that riverside pub near Brands Hatch (Farningham) that used to do the spicy pasties? The Lion?

The saddest demise IMHO was the Grand Prix Cafe in Berkeley St. I went many times around (guessing) 1998 - 2004 but it was never very full and eventually closed. It incorporated three separate entities (a) The Pit Brasserie, (2) Rosie's Bar and (3) La Rascasse . Rosies was members only (I was a member) and like La Rascasse was sumptuous. Rumour had it that it was connected to La Rascasse in Monaco if only financially. A great shame...

http://www.restauran...ant/02_03_2003/

As mentioned the Jack Fairman opened as a Wethespoon pub in Horley. Nice Deco building and some motorsport memorabilia and fine for an economical lunch or early evening drink midweek. I wouldn't fancy being there at closing time on a Friday though...

http://www.jdwethers...?PubNumber=5363

#199 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,192 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:21

Originally posted by frangible

I was a member of Steering Wheel Club from '79 to '82 when I worked in Berkeley Square. £25 pa and a wonderful oasis in Mayfair. Great atmosphere, bar food and an excellent restaurant. I didn't come across all that many motor racing heroes though, not even local resident, Sir Stirling... It went downhill after it changed hands and closed shortly afterwards.

We have a thread about the Steering Wheel Club. Care to add some memories?

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=27980

Advertisement

#200 frangible

frangible

• 70 posts

Posted 28 August 2008 - 12:46

Originally posted by Vitesse2

We have a thread about the Steering Wheel Club. Care to add some memories?

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=27980

I'll rack my brains but I think the glory days were over by the time I got there...