Photo

Winter testing 04/05

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3968 replies to this topic

#1 f1rules

f1rules

• 7,972 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 09:06

Does anyone have any dates on when teams are going to test this winther. Im going to barcelona some time in late november and i was wondering if there is an f1 test going on at that time.
thanks
michael

Advertisement

#2 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:12

your a bit keen arent you!

#3 A Wheel Nut

A Wheel Nut

• 4,739 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:18

Testing ban runs through November doesn't it? Or is that December? Ah ****ed if I know anything anymore. The CRB will probably have a decision in a few weeks time.

#4 villefan

villefan

• 16 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 10:39

Originally posted by f1rules
Does anyone have any dates on when teams are going to test this winther. Im going to barcelona some time in late november and i was wondering if there is an f1 test going on at that time.
thanks
michael

As far as I know there's an F1 test at Barcelona from 24-26 November. I assume most teams will attend.

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong though...

#5 Keffo

Keffo

• 978 posts

Posted 22 October 2004 - 11:46

Ralf makes his debut in a Toyota 24 november :)

#6 armchair expert

armchair expert

• 1,936 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 23:34

Is this confirmed? 24-26 November in Barcelona? Will all teams test?
Be interesting to see who Williams puts behind the wheel. We will certainly see Webber v Pizzonia on the test track anyway ;)

#7 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 02:44

Originally posted by f1rules
thanks
michael

Testing what and under which rules?

#8 RacerMAD

RacerMAD

• 121 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 03:47

Originally posted by MiPe

Testing what and under which rules?

Free... They can test with 2004 car or 2005 car.

#9 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:12

Do we want to have a monster thread on winter testing like last year (2000+posts) or individual threads for all sessions, days, tracks? Id prefer the monster thread.

#10 RacerMAD

RacerMAD

• 121 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:47

Originally posted by Sir Frank
Do we want to have a monster thread on winter testing like last year (2000+posts) or individual threads for all sessions, days, tracks? Id prefer the monster thread.

im prefer the moster thread just like last year. everybody can read in just one place. cos not to many news about testing.

#11 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,871 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 09:57

Minardi will be testing November 22-26 (the 24th being a 2-seater event) at the Misano circuit in Italy. 12 young drivers (Alright, Zlobin is nowhere near to being young) will be present, including the two Wills, Powers and Davison, who were promised tests prior to the Melbourne GP.

http://www.pitpass.c...es_art_id=22800

Not on that list is Nicky Pastorelli who was given a test by Superfund after winning the Euro F3000 title.

Posted Image

#12 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:03

Sergey Zlobin
Will Power
Will Davison
Tiago Monteiro
Enzo Pastor
Ronnie Quintarelli
Olivier Maximin
Christian Montanari
Damien Pasini
Robert Kubica
Patrick Friesacher
Nicky Pastorelli

#13 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:35

Fisi will test the 24th of november for Renault. I assume it is Barcelona.

#14 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:54

I prefer to do it on month by month basis....

#15 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 10:55

AtlasF1 used to provide testing schedule, but has ceased it for now. Any other website doing this? Don't you know?

#16 panzani

panzani

• 18,732 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:21

The Barcelona tests are scheduled for 24-26 of November. Most of the Teams will be there.

#17 UPRC

UPRC

• 4,716 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 13:03

Originally posted by Tomecek
AtlasF1 used to provide testing schedule, but has ceased it for now. Any other website doing this? Don't you know?

www.f1racing.net/en/
Look on the right side of the page.

#18 Eli

Eli

• 2,690 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 14:25

I'm hoping we will have the testing schedule ready tomorrow. :)

#19 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 08:03

:up: Monster for me as well. Much better for reference. Maybe we can use this thread, just the moderators change the name to "Winter testing 04-05" or something.

It will be exciting for me to see JPM in a McLaren soon! :clap: Too bad Kimi will not be there until early December, and then only for a couple of days I think (in Jerez IIRC).

Advertisement

#20 Keffo

Keffo

• 978 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 18:30

even Jaguar is going to test at the end of november, the team exclusive told us (Dutch site)

#21 wawawa

wawawa

• 4,315 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 19:13

Originally posted by HSJ
:up: Monster for me as well. Much better for reference. Maybe we can use this thread, just the moderators change the name to "Winter testing 04-05" or something.

Agreed.

Strange that Alonso is not scheduled to test until January, whereas Fisi will be given a go right away.

#22 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 21:27

Originally posted by wawawa
Agreed.

Strange that Alonso is not scheduled to test until January, whereas Fisi will be given a go right away.

I didn't know that. But yeah, that's strange. Last year Kimi did not test until in January as well, but that was because of a wrist surgery he underwent in late 03 and couldn't drive until the wrist had healed. (The wrist had been causing him some pain during driving and was, IIRC, injured in the past in some shunt, in testing I think it was. As it was the surgery did not fully fix it and it has still bothered him a bit from time to time I believe.) Perhaps FA has a similar reason? Or maybe he just can't be arsed? :p ;)

#23 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 21:32

Fisi is no 1 driver at Renault. :cool:

#24 babbel

babbel

• 2,746 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 21:51

Originally posted by Ghostrider

Or Alonso simply waits for the new car while Fisichella familiarizes himself with the old Renault and Michelin tyres.

#25 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 08:10

Originally posted by babbel
Or Alonso simply waits for the new car while Fisichella familiarizes himself with the old Renault and Michelin tyres.

Yes, but that is a far too sensible and logical answer for the bb! :)

#26 Tomecek

Tomecek

• 6,138 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 09:38

Originally posted by Eli
I'm hoping we will have the testing schedule ready tomorrow. :)

Very good news :) :up: Will it be available on http://www.atlasf1.c...ting/index.html ? :)

#27 wawawa

wawawa

• 4,315 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 15:27

Originally posted by babbel

I wonder how useful that will be, given the big aero and tyre changes lined up for next year. Also, the Bob Bell interview confirmed that the R24 was a nervous beast - not the intention of the designers - so presumably it wouldn't help Fisi too much to learn a difficult car which isn't going to be raced again.

#28 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 16:10

Originally posted by wawawa
I wonder how useful that will be, given the big aero and tyre changes lined up for next year. Also, the Bob Bell interview confirmed that the R24 was a nervous beast - not the intention of the designers - so presumably it wouldn't help Fisi too much to learn a difficult car which isn't going to be raced again.

Maybe it has less to do with familiarizing with the R24 and more to do with the team getting data on him and vice versa. Basically, welding Fisi and his engineers into a competitive unit.

#29 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 00:25

It will be better for Fisi to be in the car then out of it.

#30 Dan_11

Dan_11

• 206 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 01:00

The McLaren team cannot wait until Montoya sits in their car. Ron is holding his breath. He said he cant wait to see what Juan can do in their car.
What he means is he cant wait to compare Juan's telemetry to Kimi's.
Let me tell you something, Juan can do things in the car other drivers can't even imagine doing.
He will amaze the whole team already the moment he exits the garage with precision, just missing 1 of the mechanics toe.
The team will realise, Montoya is just on another level.

Peace.

#31 Mat

Mat

• 7,683 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 06:02

Originally posted by Dan_11
The McLaren team cannot wait until Montoya sits in their car. Ron is holding his breath. He said he cant wait to see what Juan can do in their car.
Let me tell you something, Juan can do things in the car other drivers can't even imagine doing.
He will amaze the whole team already the moment he exits the garage with precision, just missing 1 of the mechanics toe.

Peace.

i am sure the entire pit lane is keen to see JPM's masterful technic in exiting the McLaren pit garage. :rolleyes:

#32 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 08:50

Do anybody know if they/or much they charge to attend the track as an visitor? I doesn´t cost that much to fly to Barcelona..

#33 A Wheel Nut

A Wheel Nut

• 4,739 posts

Posted 07 November 2004 - 10:35

Originally posted by Dan_11

Peace.

I heard he was the first F1 driver to eat a Supersized Big Mac meal. During a race. His dad told me. Thats how talented he is. Juan came in to the pits for a pitstop and picked up a Big Mac, supersized fries and a supersized coke. He only took 2 laps to finish it. And at the same time he passed that wannabee Schumacher. Pathetic. His dad told me all of this over lunch one day. He drove with one hand and ate with the other. And the balls on him are so big, he did it without even wearing a helmet. The rest of the grid can't do any of that.

#34 HSJ

HSJ

• 14,002 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 06:25

I suggest we start updating this thread now before people start multiple threads on the subject.

Ferrari have started right away at Vairano. Marc Gene is now a Ferrari tester. We'll see if that affects anything. I mean was he an asset to Williams and will he be to Ferrari? Probably just a workhorse.

#35 Chubby_Deuce

Chubby_Deuce

• 6,871 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 07:22

MONTEIRO, FRIESACHER AND NISSANY OPEN MINARDI TEST

MISANO, ITALY, November 22, 2004

The first day of a five-day Minardi test got under way today at the Autodromo Santamonica in Misano. One of the two Minardi Cosworth PS04B chassis available was driven initially by Tiago Monteiro, who then handed over to Patrick Friesacher, while the other was allocated to Israeli driver, Chanock Nissany. Monteiro’s task was to work on chassis set-up, while Friesacher and Nissany, who were both having their first experience of an F1 car, spent much of their allocated time of the opening day acclimatising to the levels of performance and handling available. Nissany is scheduled to continue testing on Tuesday, and will be joined by young Australians, Will Power and Will Davison, fulfilling a promise made to both men by Minardi Team Principal, Paul Stoddart, at this year’s Australian Grand Prix.

PATRICK FRIESACHER
Best lap: 1 min 11.150 secs Total laps: 42
“To test a Formula One car is a great experience, and I have to thank the Minardi team and Paul Stoddart for this opportunity. I was just amazed at the speed and the braking of the car when I went out on my first lap, but then, like all race cars, you start to get used to the performance. I think I had a good day and I hope the team is pleased with the job I did.”

TIAGO MONTEIRO
Best lap: 1 min 13.240 secs Total laps: 20
“It was a great pleasure to be back in a Formula One car again, and I have to thank Paul Stoddart, Gian Carlo Minardi and the whole team for the opportunity they have given me today. I had never been to Misano before, so I spent the first couple of laps this morning just familiarising myself with the circuit. Initially, the conditions were very tricky, as the track surface was extremely dirty. The situation gradually improved, however, so we got on with testing several items and accumulating some useful information. I was also able to set the car up for the other drivers, who don’t have any F1 experience. I’m very pleased to have been back with the Minardi team again, and now we have to work for the future. The next few days will be very important.”

CHANOCK NISSANY
Best lap: 1 min 14.780 secs Total laps: 41
“At the beginning of the test, the track was not in great condition, but the car was behaving well despite this. The surface and the grip improved in the afternoon and the car had a good set-up, which allowed me to get a clear feel for the performance. With the experience I have accumulated today, I hope to improve further tomorrow.”

MASSIMO RIVOLA, Team Manager
“The plan today was to keep set-up changes to a minimum and allow the drivers – particularly Patrick and Chanock – to get some experience driving a Formula One car in race configuration. On that basis, I think we have had a very good day, and I want to thank all the drivers for their efforts. Tiago undoubtedly had the toughest job, as he went out first on a cold and dirty track. As we have seen before, though, he approached the situation with great maturity, by starting carefully and then steadily reducing his lap times as he worked on finding a good chassis set-up. Chanock lost about 45 minutes this morning, while a potential problem with his car was checked out, but he went on to do a very solid job, especially considering he has only been racing for two years. Patrick was particularly impressive, starting off with laps of 1 min 15 secs and then building up speed quickly. Once he got to the limit, he put in some consistently fast laps. Finally, a special word of thanks to our technical partner, Bridgestone – Minardi is the only F1 team testing here at Misano, and they are again supporting us brilliantly with tyres and technical advice.

Minardi Testing Details
Date: November 22, 2004
Weather: Cold, cloudy with short sunny spells
Air temperature: 11-13 deg C
Track temperature: 12-13 deg C

Driver: Tiago Monteiro (P)
Chassis allocation: PS04B/04
Distance covered: 81.2 km

Driver: Patrick Friesacher (A)
Chassis allocation: PS04B/04
Distance covered: 170.5 km

Driver: Chanock Nissany (IS)
Chassis allocation: PS04B/02
Distance covered: 166.5 km

The time that Freisacher set is just off Zsolt Baumgartner's time set when the PS04B first appeared. Bruni ran a 1:09 in similar conditions.

#36 Aren

Aren

• 136 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:23

Originally posted by Fortymark
Do anybody know if they/or much they charge to attend the track as an visitor? I doesn´t cost that much to fly to Barcelona..

This may interest you ;)

#37 wagner

wagner

• 780 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 08:55

Originally posted by Ghostrider

<=> "Fisi this and Fisi that" :lol:

#38 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:15

Originally posted by wagner
<=> "Fisi this and Fisi that" :lol:

I think Fisi will smash the Barcelona track record tomorrow. ;)

#39 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 09:37

they also have online times too on that page. it updates every two minutes :cool:

thanks Aren :up:

Gene, Trulli and Badoer are out on track as I write

Advertisement

#40 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:03

Originally posted by philhitchings
they also have online times too on that page. it updates every two minutes :cool:

Now, if we had that for Jerez, Valencia as well I would fail all my exams in January. :)

I see nothing in the popup window when I click on the pdf, is there anything?

#41 philhitchings

philhitchings

• 18,312 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:05

so would all of my students :lol:

#42 SchuOz

SchuOz

• 1,658 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:28

On Tuesday morning Marc Gené debuted for the Scuderia Ferrari at a sunny, but cold, Circuit de Catalunya. The Spaniard was announced on Monday as Ferrari's test driver. Gené will join Luca Badoer to help Ferrari develop their F2005.

In Barcelona Luca Badoer and Toyota driver Jarno Trulli also began their Formula One program. In the first 90 minutes Marc Gené was the quickest driver of the three. Gené set a fastest lap time of 1.17.785 in his first eight laps.

#43 Aren

Aren

• 136 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:40

Now, if we had that for Jerez, Valencia as well I would fail all my exams in January. :)

I see nothing in the popup window when I click on the pdf, is there anything?

Sir Frank, I don't have such a problem when opening the pdf, but it is just the same info you can see on that pop-up: the best lap of every driver and nothing else.

#44 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 10:48

Originally posted by Aren

This may interest you ;)

Thanks! :up:
That´s not much, 4 euros :eek:

#45 Lontano

Lontano

• 1,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:10

i've been there many times and it's free to get to the grandstand.

Edit: i see it used to be for free. deceiving, once again, but i guess it was a matter of time because those tests were so crowded

#46 Fortymark

Fortymark

• 5,929 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:26

Originally posted by Lontano

i've been there many times and it's free to get to the grandstand.

Edit: i see it used to be for free. deceiving, once again, but i guess it was a matter of time because those tests were so crowded

That´s really incredible, to see so much F1 for free..
But with all things that´s popular, they will charge what people are willing to pay for it. :

4 euros is nothing if you compair to the ticket prices. Hope they keep those low testing prices for a while.

#47 Sir Frank

Sir Frank

• 4,275 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:30

Originally posted by Aren

Sir Frank, I don't have such a problem when opening the pdf, but it is just the same info you can see on that pop-up: the best lap of every driver and nothing else.

Thank you

#48 Lontano

Lontano

• 1,990 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:44

That´s really incredible, to see so much F1 for free..
But with all things that´s popular, they will charge what people are willing to pay for it. :

4 euros is nothing if you compair to the ticket prices. Hope they keep those low testing prices for a while.

i for one am not gonna go to see testing anymore. you just see them go in and out, never knowing if they are going flat-out or just cruising around, see lots of empty track and sometimes come to see some strange things (like Davidson in the BAR making some brake tests, that is, going at full speed down the main straight, then braking heavy after just crossing the start-finish line leaving some wheel marks on the parmac, and when getting to a stop, start accelerating again). it was worth going there when it was free, if i have to pay to see it i will rather find better ways to spend those 4 euros. just a matter of principles!

#49 Ghostrider

Ghostrider

• 16,216 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 11:45

Originally posted by philhitchings
so would all of my students :lol:

:lol:

#50 Youichi

Youichi

• 3,429 posts

Posted 23 November 2004 - 12:56

Sir_Frank, the pop-up gives you a selection screen to choose which meeting/test you wish to see, selecting Todays test takes you to THIS PAGE

Which contains the same info as the PDF, with additional links under each drivers name, taking you to a full list of their laptimes.