• 5,668 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 06:30

And wadayerknow http://www.friendsof...ransport/12272-

Advertisement

#1602 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 11:40

However, my engine, whether it's for steam or for compressed air, is unrivaled for now.

Andrew :smoking:

https://giphy.com/gi...awLxbp8uk/html5 "

Edited by Feliks, 04 February 2018 - 11:42.

#1603 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 04 February 2018 - 23:21

Well, there is one big advantage of such a crosshead. We can freely change the stroke, piston in relation to the crankshaft stroke .. For example, the stroke of the piston is the same, and the crankshaft stroke even twice as long .. Everything will depend on the demand, and what is most important in a given engine application ..
Of course, the rope has to go exactly in the axis of the piston ..

So that his way of placing the crankshaft, as you can see in the figure, from the side, will make the engine will be much lower ..
Of course, only for marine engines 102 rpm

cros%20z%20boku.jpg

crosline.jpg

Andrew   :smoking:  :smoking:

#1604 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 00:14

What if you made Teflon so much ? 
And maybe in diesel it would be enough to lubricate them with fuel ?

And the rolling bearings on the crank with the grease in the middle ?

This ... the engine could have been WITHOUT lubricating oil. 

Just what would Castrol say ?

:smoking:  :smoking:

Or maybe a carbon fiber line ?

Edited by Feliks, 05 February 2018 - 00:15.

#1605 PayasYouRace

PayasYouRace
  • RC Forum Host

• 20,752 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 10:29

Ah sorry, I hadn't realised your inventions rely on breaking the laws of thermodynamics. Seeya.

Nah. I think you knew that a long time ago.  :lol:

#1606 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 16:14

Nah. I think you knew that a long time ago.  :lol:

But he stopped being sure ... :lol:  :lol:

#1607 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 16:25

Well here is a drawing of the principle of operation of the engine .. Nowhere do you see any thermodynamics and heat ..   :smoking:  :smoking:

tlok%20silyp.gif

#1608 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,668 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 19:23

The efficiency of a heat engine (a technical term) is dominated by the thermodynamics, the linkages used to transmit the power are a necessary but secondary consideration.

#1609 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 19:38

The efficiency of a heat engine (a technical term) is dominated by the thermodynamics, the linkages used to transmit the power are a necessary but secondary consideration.

:well:   

Not true at all, because how will it change and overcome the efficiency of the engine, if the rotating mass will be doubled? with the same displacement? .. It determines the efficiency of the engine, and no thermodynamics ..

Andrew :smoking:  :smoking:  :smoking:

#1610 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 20:01

Here they give the rings work up to 300 degrees Celsius. If we do not have to lubricate this force Nm, because it is not there, it can but without oil would get over ...

https://www.elringkl...zed-seals/#c881

Andrew    :wave:

Slowly the idea develops ...   :rolleyes:

#1611 Wuzak

Wuzak

• 6,932 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:28

Here they give the rings work up to 300 degrees Celsius. If we do not have to lubricate this force Nm, because it is not there, it can but without oil would get over ...

https://www.elringkl...zed-seals/#c881

Andrew    :wave:

Slowly the idea develops ...   :rolleyes:

300°C combustion temperatures would be on the low side?

#1612 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:15

300°C combustion temperatures would be on the low side?

sa2128.gif

http://www.mre-books...ages/sa2128.gif

:smoking:

http://www.metric-co...-fahrenheit.htm

Edited by Feliks, 06 February 2018 - 02:20.

#1613 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 19:44

The temperature of the burning gases is >700 deg C and can be almost double that. Pistons are deliberately cooled so they don't get too hot, that is one reason why piston skirts are used, it transfers heat from the hot top of the piston into the cylinder liners, which are water cooled..

No, the mass of the engine parts has only a small effect on efficiency, for sensible designs at lowish speeds.

#1614 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 22:39

The temperature of the burning gases is >700 deg C and can be almost double that. Pistons are deliberately cooled so they don't get too hot, that is one reason why piston skirts are used, it transfers heat from the hot top of the piston into the cylinder liners, which are water cooled..

No, the mass of the engine parts has only a small effect on efficiency, for sensible designs at lowish speeds.

Such gases may have such a temperature, but the piston has as it appears in the figure, and maybe even lower, because the piston is also in large engine cooled water ..

And what about low revolutions, what influences the release? Maybe the combustion chamber, which has been literally unchanged for hundreds of years ? 

So why did the old engines, eg 1900 year , have such a small efficiency? The combustion chamber was similar to today ...

It was not until Ricardo changed something, but how to look at it increased the size of the chamber...

Okay, yes, do we continue to develop ideas ...
here one of the advantages: the possibility of completely separating the piston chamber, from the crankshaft chamber and main connecting rod .. This causes that the oil used for lubricating the shaft will not be contaminated with combustion products. He is in a clean state ... As someone will want to lubricate the piston with oil, it can use a different oil for this purpose.
However, I think that Teflon will fulfill its role ...... 

crosshead%20izolowany.jpg

Andrew  :smoking:  :smoking:

Edited by Feliks, 06 February 2018 - 22:42.

#1615 Kelpiecross

Kelpiecross

• 1,471 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 02:44

Feliks - your "Feliks Crosshead" mechanism is essentially the same as that used by Newcomen in 1712 in his pumping steam engine - but I don't think he invented the "straight line" mechanism - it was already in use.
Still used to this day in things like oil field production well pumps.

https://en.wikipedia...ospheric_engine

There are much more sophisticated methods of piston straight line movement - but none have proven to be any useful advance on conventional methods.

I have heard of Teflon "buttons" being used to locate gudgeon pins etc. in some engines - this area only reaches about 300 degrees C. You don't want to be around when Teflon does decompose at high temperature - I don't know if it is free fluorine gas or some compound of the gas - but it will certainly clear your sinuses.

#1616 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:31

Well, who would have thought that Newcomen was so close to an adequate solution :rolleyes:

Newcomen.gif

Halfrotate1.gif

Regards Andrew :smoking: :smoking:

NIHIL NOVE SUB SOLE
You need to know stories, to do something new ... I already knew it for a long time ...
Everyone knew ... Only I invented ...

And with this Teflon it is not such a terrible devil .. People around the world are eating potato pancakes, and they are fried in pans coated with Teflon ..
By the way, the best are baked in lard .. :smoking:

And here is one thing, which probably completed my idea 

oil500.gif

Andrew  :rolleyes:

#1617 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 03:04

Here all the forces in the crank mechanism ... Reduction in the stroke of the shaft twice reducing, with the same stroke of the piston causes a large increase in efficiency, by reducing the forces of inertia. Also the force Nm sometimes reaches up to 30% of gas force , which can be seen in the charts.

http://www.new4strok...w cylindrze.pdf

When it does not exist at all, the average efficiency of these 10 to 15% of the engine will be higher. only because of its lack ..

Adding a fall in the shaft stroke by 50% from the inertia forces, even the next 10% increase in efficiency will be able to achieve ... in total, some 25% efficiency will be better ...

Edited by Feliks, 12 February 2018 - 03:18.

#1618 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 12 February 2018 - 13:21

Now he will describe how we can change the crankshaft pitch in relation to the piston stroke and what it can give us in Feliks Crosshead   :smoking:

a5windlass.jpg

11.gif

https://en.wikipedia.../Wheel_and_axle

#1619 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 10:08

Here is a textbook of a young handyman..

Andrew  :wave:

Advertisement

#1620 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 15 February 2018 - 21:36

Or so very quiet?

Or some game ...

Or maybe such a rope made of such a chain or a timing belts ?
Half milion ibs ...

Andrew 

#1621 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 05:53

A traditional crosshead, usually unbalanced, to save a little on the construction .. But for this, when the command "whole back" is taken for the ship's engine, only 60% of the power can actually be used, because of this unsymmetrical crosshead, which can not withstand greater load, in the reverse than usual turnover.
In my solution, it does not matter which engine the engine is on, so "the whole back" can actually be "all", i.e. 100% ..

But in my solution, it may be asymmetrically, for the same reason as in the traditional one, it means that the piston is pressed down all the time, if not by the work stroke, then by the compression stroke ... (of course, it is 2 stroke ) .. Therefore, the second lower frame, can be "symbolic" and the thin line, just to keep the kinematic bond in some abnormal situations.
Of course, all this new mechanism can be in a separate housing, separating the oiled space, from the space under the piston, which can be cooled water ..
Developing further ideas for smaller engines, instead of a rope, we can use a toothed belt, whose durability is known from the mechanisms of timing ..    :D  But the revolutions can be a little bigger ..
diferential%20rope.jpg

crosshead%20seal.jpg
 Here is a pic,  a two-stroke engine, whose piston pin, is a ball, which moves only pressure from above in a pristine way ..

lycoming.jpg

Andrew  :smoking:

Edited by Feliks, 18 February 2018 - 05:58.

#1622 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:19

http://www.dtic.mil/...t/u2/821500.pdf  Here is a handbook, but it is very long uploading, because 35 MB .. On the 74 page, such a two-stroke engine, whose piston pin, is a ball, which moves only pressure from above in a pristine way ..

Andrew   :wave:

Edited by Feliks, 18 February 2018 - 06:21.

#1623 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 25 February 2018 - 00:34

Well, I can imagine the future development of Feliks Crosshead:

aa2%20(3).jpg

So here is such a nice professional site with such an engine with a variable degree of compression ..
But the crank layout has  modes ...

The lateral force of the piston has not been removed, only moved to the side wall ..

Feliks   :wave:

#1624 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 03 March 2018 - 00:41

Yes, here is the engine, in this also the piston does not beat the cylinder .. But too complicated and I still do not like modes. And the lateral force of the plunger and so-called tobaccos somewhere is lost ...
But he will read for it, what it gives ... I do not have to tire about writing the advantages of my crosshead .. :D 

And here is how something is not going on when crosshed ..

littlerod.jpg

And now he will not ...

#1625 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 22:00

Yes, combined cycle, but also the latest trends ...
http://www.gizmag.co...rove-mpg/10928/

And since it has to work at the coal face powder (same what they use today's power plants for combustion in boilers).
can seals with carbon, similar to the scrubbing of electric motors
http://hariramco.com...on-brushes.html

http://www.dpaonthen...ompressors.aspx

Star engines were characterized biggest always force density

starhalfrotate5.gif

elastic%20hose.jpg

Below picture of the star half rotate around 10 (40) with "cylinders". for the transparency of the picture one can see only 3 additional "cylinders" more than is at the animated film.
One can also see dimensions of the whole of the engine in the assumption that every cylinder has such dimensions for the picture half rotate with the set connecting rod of the Sulzer D= engine of 900 mm and stroke 2500 mm .

half10.jpg

So 10 (40) "cylindrical" engine half rotate about the same working capacity in comparing to the Sulzer 10 engine cylindrical on the picture below .

Sulzer: 10 Cylinders 20 m long , 15 m hight , 1500 Ton weight

Half rotate star : 10(40) "Cylinders" 4,5 m diameter , 4,5 m long
about 70 ton weight.

sulzer1.jpg

And most importantly.. Since in the engine half rotate mass innertia are several times Sulzer smaller than in the engine, engine half rotate can work with the much greater rotation speed.
Slzer : 102 RPM 60 000 KW

Half rotate 250 RPM 150 000 KW

In same intake work volume .

And now, the efficiency of the engine, due to the friction of the walls of the cylinder to rise about 5%. That is, it is the most efficient machine for the heat, whose efficiency exceeds 50% of the.

http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2249

Regards Andrew :smoking: :smoking:

Well, here is a motor that does not need crosheads ... but it has 40 cylinders our stroke ..
But instead of the engine cylinders, it can be a nipple instead of a cros-heads (feliks crosheads). Just hook the ropes to the poles of rotation, and the ropes, normal pistons ...

Andrew  :smoking:  

#1626 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 11:06

Nice video, and at the end you can see how fast it can turn,

Andrew :wave:

#1627 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 09 April 2018 - 23:22

Yes, we slowly develop this way of bypassing the lateral force of the piston .. here, that's all you have to do is one lever that has a half-ring at the end, but the other way round. This way one pulls up and the other down during the movement of the lever ... It can be used for a full four-stroke engine .. Well, see how easy we can cool the water piston ..

crosshead3.jpg

#1628 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 20:41

Does not this remind you of the mechanics drawn by James Watt ? But it's necessary to back 250 years back ..

440px-The_Kinematics_of_Machinery_Fig_1.

Hand-drawn diagram by James Watt explaining his discovery of the "parallel motion" in a letter to his Sohn: "The idea originated in this manner. On finding double chains, or racks and sectors, very inconvenient for communicating the motion of the piston-rod to the angulat motion of the working-beam, I set to work to try if I could not contrieve some means of performing the same form motions turning upon centres, and after some time it occured to me that AB, CD, being two equal radii revolving on the centres B and C, and connected together by a rod AD, in moving through arches of certain length, the variations from straight line would be nearly equal and opposite, and that the point E would describe a line nearly straight, and that if for convenice the radius CD was only half of AB, by moving the point E nearer to D, the same would take place; and from this the construction, afterwards called the parallel motion was derived."

Of course, instead of a rope, you can use any type of parallel movement mechanism.  :smoking:

https://en.wikipedia...Parallel_motion

And of course, it's getting higher and higher speed after that ...

Edited by Feliks, 10 April 2018 - 20:43.

#1629 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,668 posts

Posted 10 April 2018 - 22:13

Well a Watts link makes more sense than bits of string. Of course what you really need is a Peaucellier-Lipkin linkage. Might limit your top speed a bit.

#1630 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 00:52

Well a Watts link makes more sense than bits of string. Of course what you really need is a Peaucellier-Lipkin linkage. Might limit your top speed a bit.

So this Wats is not bad anymore .. but this string can have such a form of springs from the watch's bannister .. and then it is the simplest solution and guaranteeing higher revolutions .. obviously the ideal is Peaucellier-Lipkin, but also is the most complicated .. But after some analysis, to which the arms attach to the connecting rod, i.e. which carries the main forces, the rest may not have to be a monstrous size ..
 In any case, the use of a traditional crosshead certainly became archaism ... because with the use of any of these solutions, the side force on the crowd does not occur, and was not moved below, to crosshedas, and was liquidated at all ..

Also from my drawing you can see that a very easy way we can do cooling with the water of the piston ..
This can give us, due to its very low temperature, a change to Teflon efflorescence and one would be tempted to completely give up the oil.
And this is a very important matter, which allows us this construction, so it seems to me that maybe you can do practically this matter and try some teflon bearings and seals ..

main.jpg

#1631 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 01:48

Here is the animation of THE PEAUCELLIER-LIPKIN LINKAGE which is automatically downloaded

http://kmoddl.librar...u/tutorials/05/

I need 3 such sets for my new4stroke .. :rolleyes:

#1632 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 11 April 2018 - 02:24

Normal position engine crosshead  Peaucellier-Lipkin   :rolleyes:

:wave:

Edited by Feliks, 11 April 2018 - 07:06.

#1633 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 15:14

watt.gif

peaucellier.gif

sarrus_linkage_anim.gif

Which of these three mechanisms to use ... and here the magnitude of the lateral force on the piston in the C-spot ... as you can see on 1/3 of the torque it achieves .. THEREFULLY IT WILL NOT BE HERE ...  :clap:

http://mechanicalexp...der-torque.html

Andrew :smoking:  :smoking:

#1634 blkirk

blkirk

• 318 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 16:56

The Sylvester-Kempe mechanism is another straight-line linkage.

#1635 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,668 posts

Posted 12 April 2018 - 23:27

Which to use? Well that's where you have to do engineering as opposed to watching youtubes. For a given stroke and rpm you can work out the required structural  properties and so the inertias and dimensions, and the forces, and the losses in the bearings. Then compare that with the losses in a conventional crosshead, and a conventional piston/conrod. Depending on your priorities you might want to consider total mass, cost, efficiency, reliability and ruggedness, and overall package size.

My first step would be to find out how big the losses are in a conventional piston conrod, as that gives you a bogey figure to work against. Of course you may find that a piston/conrod with a long length to stroke ratio is actually quite good, and certainly scores well on many of those measures.

From what i remember the piston rings actually contribute most of the friction in an engine, which means if your goal is high efficiency that'd be the place to start rather than reducing friction at the skirts. Unfortunately modern piston ring designs are complex and arcane, so far as i know all OEMs outsource both the design and manufacture to piston ring companies.

#1636 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 01:44

Which to use? 

This is a good question ..
With a new construction a lot of unknowns ... here is one but also a new 3 ways to connect the connecting rod ..
And not only the mathematics of movement, but now all force must be determined ...
A lot of work for sure ..
feliks%20crosshead%204.jpg

I wonder where this side force acting in the crosshead has died?   :D

#1637 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 10:12

Here are a few more alternatives..

And nowadays, how to design an engine that will save 10% of fuel in the ship's engine, because there is no friction in its traditional crosschead, then here you can see and count how much it can be ...

https://en.wikipedia...i/Slow_steaming

wattcr.jpg

sarrus.jpg

#1638 Greg Locock

Greg Locock

• 5,668 posts

Posted 13 April 2018 - 22:37

"I wonder where this side force acting in the crosshead has died?" it is reacted at the pivots that are grounded. In total it will be (force on piston top +vertical acceleration forces)*stroke/2*cos(conrod inclination angle)+a bit to rotate to the conrod+whatever is needed in the mechanism itself.

Edited by Greg Locock, 13 April 2018 - 22:55.

#1639 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 00:37

"I wonder where this side force acting in the crosshead has died?" it is reacted at the pivots that are grounded. In total it will be (force on piston top +vertical acceleration forces)*stroke/2*cos(conrod inclination angle)+a bit to rotate to the conrod+whatever is needed in the mechanism itself.

Yes you are right, she must be in these grounded pins ... Only that, in total, the frictional force coming from this force, will be very small on the small radius of the bolt in comparison to the large sliding side force of the piston or the traditional crosshead ... something similar to the side of the piston in relation to the piston pin, which only has to transfer this lateral force ... it is several dozen times easier to do .. I think that this time we have a free dinner ..

I think that this free dinner will still be important in other mechanical constructions also ..

As you can with a second person, think about the hidden new discoveries, it's easier to think about it.

Advertisement

#1640 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 14 April 2018 - 23:05

Such animation, so that we know what we are talking about ..

tlok%20anim%20feliks%20crosshesad.gif

Well, here's the crosshead but it's applied to my new 4 stroke ... we gain a lot ... for my experience with this engine, we now get 1 liter capacity of the main piston, about 300 hp at 5000 rpm.
Of course without NOx, because the pistons will be cooled with water ..
Well, that's what to fight for ...

new4stroke%20crosshead.jpg

#1641 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 15 April 2018 - 22:27

this is just a cross-referencing scheme that has to keep a straight line .. It should be connected to the crankshaft using a pin in any convenient place.

calycrosshead.jpg

OR 

calycrosshead1.jpg

#1642 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 18 April 2018 - 02:30

It's best to see in such a drawing .. so dead force can only give one's place on the casing in one place ... only pivot is in the place, which gives very little resistance to movement on a flat plane .. an element loaded with this force ..

zlozenie%20cros%20korba%20gora.jpg

#1643 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:41

Always every two connecting rods and two cranks on the crankshaft in a 4 cylinder engine are always less .. :lol: ..

dwa%20tloki.jpg

#1644 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 15:20

Had the twilight of long crankshafts ready to be ready ... ? 

8pitons.jpg

The connector between the arms as they will have the diameter of the main bearings of the main crankshaft, this should be enough....

#1645 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 19:46

Peaucellier Due crosshead ..

tlok%20anim%20feliks%20crosshesad%20due1

#1646 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 24 April 2018 - 23:13

Such possible variations ...
It can be connected by a beam through all cylinders ..

Andrew..

#1647 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 16:31

The Watt mechanism has already hit the suspension ... now its turn to the internal combustion engine ..

#1648 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 25 April 2018 - 21:30

By the way, such a precise 90 degree angle gear

with Sarrus element ..

kat.jpg

#1649 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 12:48

"Metallica" played in Krakow on his concert cover "Dżem" with whom I worked as a sound designer in 1984-1987. Here also "Dżem" from my work time 

https://www.dailymot...om/video/xrffaj

#1650 Feliks

Feliks

• 893 posts

Posted 06 May 2018 - 00:25

Principle of operation of a 6 cylinder engine with a crosshead, Watt type, Peaucelier or Feliks line crosshead .. So what gives us ... no friction piston by cylinder, so we can give up the oil for lubrication (oil pumps too), and gives 15% torque increase. Possibility of excellent cooling of the pistons with water, which will increase the compression ratio by 2 units. this is the next 10% .. Well, ecology, no oil burning, and less NOx, because in the chamber lower temperature ..

And the lack of crankshaft, because one crank with the connecting rod is hardly called a shaft ... if the engine has 16 cylinders .. :rolleyes:

handcar61.jpg

http://www.railroadh...tone-family.mp4

Edited by Feliks, 06 May 2018 - 00:28.