• Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#51 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 13:13

A very good french site by Francis Boutet, appropriately named "Bike 70"

http://www.bike70.com/page8.html

Choose chapter "pilotes" , "motos" ou "courses" (races ) and enjoy....it's in french ( and quite french centered, specially riderswise ) but easily understandable . There are splendid pictures by top 70's photographer François Beau , in particular on the Barry Sheene tribute page .

Also , the site of my friend Pierre Gabriele, with his "personal photos from the track" . It's oddly classified by circuit, but lots of great period 70's pictures there as well, and some recent ones of historic bikes meetings ( Montlhéry, Dijon ) .

http://www.pierre-ga...NavCircuits.htm

Advertisement

#52 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 16:21

Soubriquet

It was Ken Sprayson of Renolds Tubing who built the 'alternative' frame for Hailwood's RC181 500cc Honda, but I don't believe Mike was permitted by Honda to ride it in GPs. Colin Lyster, who liked frames made from tiny tubes, also built one for the Honda but I don't think this was ridden in anger.

Paul

#53 Simpson RX1

Simpson RX1

• 300 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 22:40

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Don Ludewig
Regarding the photo of Bazzer on the back wheel: It looks like start of the '79 British GP at Silverstone. Sheene is still with Suzuki and no, he didn't flip it. However, Hartog did beat him into Copse. The Olio Fiat Suzuki rider in the middle is Virginio Ferrari. Roberts won from Sheene by about half a bike length with Hartog third and Ferrari fourth.

And you're correct T54; Middleburg did win the Dutch TT in '80.

Great to see so much bike interest.

I have no idea why I thought the guy in the middle was King Kenny...........probably tired and was only really looking at the lid, should've spent more time looking at the bike.........stupid really, the colour scheme of those Yamahas spawned a million replicas, and I even owned a 350LC in the Yellow with Black speedblock design............Doh!! :

That pic of Biaggi is amazing............not only almost vertical, but also leaning, that must've been the save of the year!

There used to be some lunatic Scandanavian (who's name slips my mind for the moment) who did some fairly impressive stunt riding, including stepping off the back of the bike and dragging himself along by holding the grab rail whilst wearing wooden clogs...........his party piece was wheelying the bike and taking it beyond vertical, thereby smashing the rear light lens.........at 130 mph............on a Z1300!!!!!!!!!

#54 UAtkins

UAtkins

• 228 posts

Posted 11 January 2005 - 23:20

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
I'm very impressed with the wealth of knowledge on this message board but I guess my true love lies on motorcycle racing in the 50s, 60s and 70s. Does anyone know of a comparable motorcycle message board of this quality? :)

I would be very interested in this too only expanding this time frame to the 20s, 30s, and 40s. As I'm sure I have mentioned before, :yawn: my Dad started out riding and designing bikes for Douglas in the late 20s and rode various models into the 30s and his chief mechanic, Harry Pearce, rode bikes very successfully until Dad talked him into retiring to start building cars for him around 1958. As always, any info anyone can provide about C.T. "Tommy" Atkins or H.A. "Harry" Pearce (on bikes this time) would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ursula

#55 Macca

Macca

• 3,544 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 11:01

The picture of Bazza is indeed the 1979 British GP at Silverstone, the famous one where he lost to King Kenny aftera race-long duel complete with hand-signals.

All three bikes are works Suzuki RG500s (XR34); Hartog had his own bike in Suzuki Japan colours as a reward for standing in manfully for the injured Patrick Hennen in 1978, Ferrari is on one of the two Gallina bikes, and Sheene was on one of the Texaco-Heron Suzuki GB bikes - his team-mate was Steve Parrish of truck-racing and current commentary fame (his other team-mate, sadly killed at the North-West 200 in Ulster, had been Irishman Tom Herron).

Just wish I'd been there!

Paul M

#56 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 12 January 2005 - 12:42

Originally posted by Wolf

Sorry, not a nostalgic photo, but I *couldn't* believe my eyes when Biaggi didn't flip it on this occasion:

Posted Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Speaking of Barry Sheene I will never forget him paying out Biaggi about this incident on RPM in Australia :p

#57 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 00:17

I know American Pat Hennen was involved in a serious crash on the Isle of Man which ended his racing career but what became of him. Did he recover? Is he still with us? What happened to him after the accident?

#58 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 00:21

I have a small website devoted to part of my collection of autographed pictures of F1 World Champions and motorcycle racers of the 50s, 60s and 70s. If you care to look, it can be found on http://groups.msn.co...SportAutographs

#59 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:19

I know American Pat Hennen was involved in a serious crash on the Isle of Man which ended his racing career but what became of him. Did he recover? Is he still with us? What happened to him after the accident?

I was visiting a week ago with another famous American racing star, Jody Nicholas. We talked about Pat Hennen and also Pat Evans who died at Imola in 1978 if I recall. I will give him a call and ask him because I cannot remember what he said about Pat Hennen but he knew.
Regards,

T54

Advertisement

#60 smithy

smithy

• 2,459 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 02:48

Originally posted by AdrianM

Speaking of Barry Sheene I will never forget him paying out Biaggi about this incident on RPM in Australia :p

I probably saw it but refresh my memory.....

#61 AdrianM

AdrianM

• 4,854 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 03:35

Originally posted by smithy

I probably saw it but refresh my memory.....

Max come out and said it was all meant to happen like that so Barry had a go describing the whole incident in his own unique style. I think he ended it by saying that Max probably banged his tackle and landing :p

#62 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 07:46

Originally posted by T54

I was visiting a week ago with another famous American racing star, Jody Nicholas. We talked about Pat Hennen and also Pat Evans who died at Imola in 1978 if I recall. I will give him a call and ask him because I cannot remember what he said about Pat Hennen but he knew.
Regards,

T54

Jody Nicholas , indeed....one of those very brave men who first went out on the american tracks onboard the 750cc 2 stroke 3 cylinders monsters based on the roadgoing models by Kawasaki and Suzuki ......very early 70's. Ron Grant, Art Baumann, Geoff Perry (NZ) , Paul Smart (GB) , Cliff Carr (GB) , Hurley Wilvert and of course Gary Nixon and Yvon Duhamel .....the stars of the Hansen Kawasaki and Suzuki USA teams !

Regarding Pat Hennen , there are extensive interviews with his brother Chip (?) in the (not very good actually ) Barry Sheene book by Stu Baker . I think he mentioned that Pat made a decent, if not complete , recovery....But T54 will certainly have better information from Jody Nicholas.

Poor Pat Evans was killed at the 1977 Imola 200 , another victim of the lack of safety zone outside the Tamburello curve . I remember the year because I attended the Brand's Hatch leg of the "Transatlantic Trophy" the week-end after , and the american team was in distress because they had lost two of their nominated members the week-end before at Imola : Pat Evans and Randy Cleek , the latter in a road car accident in the Imola traffic on the monday ...

#63 Cogs

Cogs

• 31 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 08:25

In my book, motor racing is motor racing!

Right on! I'm glad to see that there are plenty of two-wheel fans here as well...If you'll indulge me here is a pic of my own exploits from last season:

Posted Image

To see more, go to http://www.kidbanty.com

I'd love to see a forum of this calibre discussing motorcycles!

Cogs

#64 Macca

Macca

• 3,544 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 12:30

Pat Hennen crashed in the 1978 Isle of Man TT after touching a curb, probably while wiping a bug off his visor; he suffered hardly any physical injuries but hit his head hard and was very badly hurt, and in a coma for a while.

He endured a long slow rehabilitation. I was at the 1984 TT prizegiving where he was a guest and spoke from the stage; he could just about walk without a stick, and he spoke with difficulty but lucidly, and he had a bushy beard. I don't know where or how he is now, though.

Another, less well-known, racer named Kevin Wrettom suffered an identical accident the same year; he had no brain damage but his face was injured and he lost much of the sight of one eye, but he made a successful comeback and was sadly killed while practising for a 500cc GP at Spa some years later.

Pat Evans was a superb rider; there was a film about the 1976 season which centred on him, but by the saddest irony ISTR it came out just after he was killed.

Paul M

#65 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 14:18

Originally posted by Macca
Pat Evans was a superb rider; there was a film about the 1976 season which centred on him, but by the saddest irony ISTR it came out just after he was killed.
Paul M

I witnessed what I'm fairly sure was Pat's first race in Europe , at the 1976 French GP on the Bugatti circuit at Le Mans. I remember how stunned I was when I arrived at the circuit that day, and found out that Pat had scored the second fastest practice time of the 250cc class , in front of all the usual field outside of reigning world champion Walter Villa . However, as the riders were on the grid , a rather violent row happened right in front of me between Pat and two other fully dressed riders ( one of them was Eric Offenstadt ) who happened to be first and second reserve, and who had come from the pits where they had been waiting just in case someone wouldn't make the grid. Many officials joined the confusion, and finally the argument settled down and the race went off.

I learnt later that week in the press what the story had been. Pat had struck a deal with an Italian team who were supposed to supply him with a 250 for that race ( he had come to Europe only with his 750 ) . But the bike was not ready for the Friday practice, and still not Saturday morning, so fearing that he would maybe end up missing the race, Pat borrowed a .....350 TZ from french rider René Guili, and went out to "learn the track" in the ....250 session he was entered into. When the - quite logically - "stunning" times he had clocked were made public, he willingly admitted to the other riders having run a 350, but however lined up the next day on the grid , that time of course with a regular 250 , probably thinking that his "sin" wasn't so bad , since he had told the others , and hell, he wasn't going to miss his first Grand Prix after having traveled all the way from California.

On the other hand, Offenstadt had "understood" that Pat was going to withdraw from the race, and was quite logically rather upset to miss his home GP because of having had his last spot on the grid "stolen" by someone running an illegal machine . But Pat having admitted his "cheating" to the other riders , but not to the officials , those made as if they were not aware and let Pat start the race.

Pat was of course quite bad-mouthed by his fellow riders following the incident , he apparently was deeply hurt by that and only found understanding, support and sympathy from another french rider, Jean-Paul Boinet . The two soon became very good friends, and started working and travelling together. In september the same year , they teamed up on a TZ 750 to enter the 24 hours Bol d'Or at the same circuit , and Pat made a point of taking his revenge on the Bugatti track by scoring a well deserved ( and perfectly legal ! ) lap record .

For the start of the 1977 season, Boinet found the money from his sponsor Jean Murit to finance a new "OW31" 750 TZ , but those were produced in limited supply and there wasn't one available for him in Europe . Pat, who had gone back to the States over the winter , moved heaven and earth and managed to get a bike for Boinet from Don Vesco, who he had ridden for the previous years . The two mates then embarked together for a new season . After running at Daytona, they went to the Trophée du Million at Magny Cours , they moved on to Imola, where tragedy struck. Boinet was devastated, and was never really a frontrunner any more after that .

Source : personal memories, plus an interview by Jean-Paul Boinet in "Moto Presse , 1977.

#66 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 16:24

Originally posted by Macca

All three bikes are works Suzuki RG500s (XR34); Just wish I'd been there!

Paul M

Paul,

The 1979 factory 500cc Suzuki's were XR27B's (the 34's appeared in 1980). The 1979 version with a radiator in the top of the fairing was called XR27BFR

Source: Ray Battersby's excellent book "Team Suzuki", published in 1982.
A book on racing motorcycles with so much information on types is quite rare

As to the XR34, there were the XR34H-type with conventional (2 shocks) suspension and the M with single shock "full float" system

------------------------------
I'm looking for a picture of John Newbold - or one of the other Suzuki GB riders - with the Suzuki XR05 (Suzuki 500cc twin, shocks in laydown position as on the later types XR11 (TR750).
The XR05 was campaigned in the 1975 Shellsport Championship (Newbold 8th).

Dick

#67 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 16:58

Pat was of course quite bad-mouthed by his fellow riders following the incident , he apparently was deeply hurt by that and only found understanding, support and sympathy from another french rider, Jean-Paul Boinet . The two soon became very good friends, and started working and travelling together. In september the same year , they teamed up on a TZ 750 to enter the 24 hours Bol d'Or at the same circuit , and Pat made a point of taking his revenge on the Bugatti track by scoring a well deserved ( and perfectly legal ! ) lap record .

Philippe7, I was a good personal friend of Pat Evans with whom I was racing in California in the early-mid 1970's at venues like Riverside, Willow Springs and OC Raceway, and actually was unfortunately the very last person who spoke to him to wish him good luck on the grid at Imola, minutes before the fatal crash. I was a guest of Paul Butler of Yamaha that weekend, after my visit at the Morbidelli works. It was a sad day indeed, and we were not even able to see Pat at the hospital where he was in a coma.

I was also a witness of that fantastic but unsuccessful attempt by Pat and Boinet to win the Bol d'Or with a TZ700, because I was the "token Frenchman" hired by American movie maker Peter Starr (we are still very good friends today) to shoot the "Bol d'Or" movie that was later projected over American TV stations. I was awake for the full 24 hours, keeping up on the champagne provided by our sponsor, the Ayala champagne vineyard of Epernay, supplied with special passes obtained from the ACO and filming the race and its incidents within inches of the riders at speed. It was a great experience and I still have my special all-access pass that says "Cinema Americain" as a souvenir.
I remember meeting again Georges Godier who ran his very first race with me at Monthlery in 1962 on a kitted Honda, finishing a spot behind or on front of me, can't recall for sure.

I remember Eric Offenstadt as a very arrogant (but very capable) driver, with strong declarations on technical issues: as my friend Roland Zerchot was one of the first (with Eric Offenstadt) to produce monobloc alloy wheels for racing motorcycles, and as he was showing his six-spoke cast wheels to him, Offenstadt declared rather brutally that "six spokes would never work, seven were needed." Period and end of conversation. :)
But he could drive...
Regards,

T54

#68 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 18:43

Whilst we're talking about brave Americans, I well recall two coming over in the mid-Sixties, and before the US-UK Transatlantic series began. Marty Lunde was the first and when he retired, started a motorcycle dealership over here. The other was the colourful Lance Weil. Fashionable long hair, jet helmet with stars and stripes paintwork and multicoloured leathers. He was before his time. In his first season he rode 350 AJS 7R and 500 Matchless G50 machines and got into hot water when he admitted in the 'weekly comics' that at one meeting at Lydden, he rode his 500 in the 350 race (they were outwardly identical) after problems with the smaller machine. He said that his fans had turned up to see him and he didn't want to let them down. The following year he returned to the UK with a stunning Harley-Davidson racer, built for him, I believe by 'Cycle World' magazine. He was a very fast rider who often overdid it, and remember him often having to receive a push start from the back of the grid as a result of his injuries. Often he would snatch the lead from Charley Sanby on the final bend of the last lap. Superb. He rarely rode against the top riders of the day which was a shame as that H-D could really go. I also saw him do well at the Hutchinson 100 races at Brands Hatch were the races were run in an anti-clockwise direction. He now runs a Laverda dealership in Burbank CA.

I contacted Bira about placing images on here but it sounds far too complicated for someone of my limited PC abilities. Is there an easy way?

#69 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 19:36

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale

I contacted Bira about placing images on here but it sounds far too complicated for someone of my limited PC abilities. Is there an easy way?

Sure....just read carefully the "new solution for posting images " sticky thread on TNF's first page . Even I could figure out how to make it work, and I'm far from computer litterate .....

But of course , a pre-requisite is that your photos are uploaded on your own computer first.....

#70 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 19:45

.....oh and T54, thanks for your testimony re. Pat Evans . Please keep those personal stories of yours coming, the supply seems enormous :up: !

#71 JohnB

JohnB

• 68 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 20:25

Originally posted by Cogs
To see more, go to http://www.kidbanty.com

Don't know much about bikes, Cogs, but love the name. Especially with Roadrunner tyres ;)

Great to see this thread - I know next to nothing about bike racing (except that the modern Moto GP and Superbikes beat F1 into the ground these days, no contest!) - but I'd love to know more.

#72 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 13 January 2005 - 22:18

Please keep those personal stories of yours coming, the supply seems enormous !

Thanks Philippe7. Do you remember Claude Vigreux?

#73 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 07:48

Dear Motorcycle Racing Nostalgia Friends,

I think we need to show some interest and traffic if we hope to persuade our hosts to maybe open a small bike-dedicated sub forum .

In an effort towards that, what about a simple Who?Where?When quizz ? He who gives the right answer, he posts the next photo...

Yes, I know this is for fun , "fluffy" and not serious research....although....who knows ?

I'll chime in with a picture I took some time ago, with my faithfull Praktica LTL with 200mm Pentacon tele...( the next best thing after the Zenit E ...)

So Who ? Where? When ?

Posted Image

PS : and no, it's not just A.N.Other at the local club race.....the man actually went on to score three FIM world champion titles..........

#74 Macca

Macca

• 3,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:00

Something about the style says Toni Mang

(before his Kawasaki and Honda days)

Paul M

#75 Macca

Macca

• 3,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 09:23

posted by dewittereus:

The 1979 factory 500cc Suzuki's were XR27B's (the 34's appeared in 1980). The 1979 version with a radiator in the top of the fairing was called XR27BFR

:blush:

Oops - I used to know all the XR and OW numbers by heart, and I knew I had to put the XR number to the Suzukis because someone would point out that only the production customer racers had the RG500 designation - but I wasn't at home and couldn't look at my copy of Battersby's book, so I googled and found something to crib from.............but I was misinformed!

I got my duff gen from this site - have you seen it? There's a gallery of modern pics of a TR500 with laydown shocks.

http://www.ozebook.c...ndium/t5012.htm

Paul M

#76 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 13:28

I agree with you regarding the style, Macca.....but no , it's not Tony Mang !

#77 Macca

Macca

• 3,544 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 14:33

Hmmm......tricky!

Looks like wire wheels and single front disc, so that might be a 250 but not necessarily - could be a 350. The dark front number plate looks more as though it would be blue for a 350 than green for a 250.

The frame and fairing look like Bimota, ca 1978. And then there's the number............

AFAIK the only three-times winners are Cadalora, Wayne Rainey, Kenny Roberts (snr.) & Freddie Spencer.........? (Mang actually won five at 250 and 350)........but Kenny and Wayne were shorter, and Freddie was thinner.

And it doesn't look like any of them.

So I'm stumped.

Paul M

#78 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 15:08

The TR500 found its origins in... Boulogne, France. Pierre Bonnet was the French Suzuki distributor and the works team indeed was based there for their first serious onslaught on the Grand Prix world in 1962. By 1967 Jacques Roca, a talented Spanish-French racer and technician had joined forces with Pierre Bonnet after being the distributor for Derbi. Shortly after the new T500 roadster was issued by the Japanese manufacturer, Roca built and raced a racing version that was so impressive that Suzuki, which had officialy retired from world championship racing, built a full-race version of the new machine, as well as a 250cc version from the smaller parallel twin.
The first machines were sent to the USA where drivers like Ron Grant and Art Baumann used on the local California tracks with some success, and the bike evolved into the water-cooled TR500 that was supposed to lead to a production racer, according to US-Suzuki racing manager Merv Wright.
It was never to be and the number of TR500 actually produced was very smalll, probably under 20. It sure was pretty but really never fast enough against even the Yamaha TZ350s used by privateers in the 500cc class, and only occasionally had some success. And Suzuki had the successful RG, derived from the disastrous 4-banger 250cc of 1963. Fast but scary, and prone to seizures, nicknamed "the widow maker" by Bertie Schneider who rode the scary thing.

Today Merv Wright runs a Mini and Rols repair shop in Costa Mesa, California, and those racing days are long behind him...

T54

#79 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 16:36

Macca

I wrote the boy won three FIM World Champion titles......I didn't write he won three FIM Road Racing World Champion titles.....;)

Advertisement

#80 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 18:09

The fellow is in a rain suit, and somehow looks more bloated from the wind into it than he really was.

:confused:
T54

#81 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 18:31

Hello , T54 :wave:

It's not a rain-suit actually , but a heavy touring leather that the fellow is wearing....had no money to buy a fancy racing outfit !

#82 St.Hubbins

St.Hubbins

• 119 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 22:39

Patrick Pons is the best I can do.

But... "the man actually went on to score three FIM world champion titles........."

Well, he was killed in an accident in 1980, and surely this picture was taken not long before, so I have some serious doubts.

#83 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 14 January 2005 - 22:51

Hi Philippe7,
The only one I can think of fitting the period in which this TZ was raced would be Herve Moineau who later became world endurance champ thrice...

#84 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 07:51

Originally posted by T54
Hi Philippe7,
The only one I can think of fitting the period in which this TZ was raced would be Herve Moineau who later became world endurance champ thrice...

Ah ! at last, somebody who noticed that I hadn't written "three times Road Racing world champion"...

You're getting very close, T54, but no, it is not Hervé Moineau !

#85 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 13:37

[i] There's a gallery of modern pics of a TR500 with laydown shocks.

http://www.ozebook.c...ndium/t5012.htm
Paul M [/B]

Paul,

Knew that site, it's quite interesting. As to the caption with the photo of this beautiful bike, I don’t think1974 is correct.
The Suzuki racers had upright shocks during that season.

I also don’t think that Barry rode a twin in the 1975 season. When Barry had recovered from the Daytona crash, the RG500 (XR14) proved successful, and it seems unlikely that he would have gone back to a twin in a British race. Unfortunately I cannot check my statement, as I threw all MCN’s away, a thing I regret now and then.
I also checked all the books on Barry Sheene for a photo, including Arnaud Briand’s nice book.

During the 1975 season I visited the TransAtlantic match Races at Mallory, the Race of the Year and the Powerbike races at Brands. I have a vague recollection of having seen Percy Tait ride an XR05 with laydown shocks.

By the way; this summer I visited a m/c dealer in Holland and he owned an XR05 with laydown-shocks. He had acquired it form a German rider, who had bought in it the UK. Will try to find out more.

Dick
Holland

#86 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 15 January 2005 - 23:19

Let's apply some logic here. If the fellow could not afford to buy decent leathers it is because this pic was taken BEFORE he became world champ in another discipline. This TZ shows a 1980-85 appearance with the modified and less lift-prone fairing and the pointed "split" seat fairing. Meaning that whatever discipline this guy went to, it has to be AFTER those years. And there are LOTS of candidates then, from trials to motocross to enduro to supermoto to... side-car racing.
So I can only guess he is one of at least 8 possibilities... :confused:

I am going to my room now. :(

#87 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 07:23

Dear T54

A few more hints, since you really make some efforts to keep this thread alive :

- I took this picture in 1980.

- The fellow is français

- I wrote you were very close when you mentioned Hervé Moineau....because that guy's career is quite similar to Hervé's , or Christian Léon's for that matters ....

#88 T54

T54

• 2,500 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 14:55

Hi Philippe7,

I am sure that he is French and probably some kind of endurance or trials champion SINCE this picture was taken... looks like a Yamaha prepped by Moraco from the colors. I will try again but not today because I need to finish some small racing cars that MUST leave in the mail tomorrow!
Regards,

T54 :)

#89 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 15:11

Originally posted by philippe7
....and while we mention the great late Barry.....a little personal photo worth a lot to me

Posted Image

That's me sitting on Barry's 1977 World Championship winning Suzuki RG500 , picture taken in 1997 in Barry's house in Carrara, Gold Coast......and shot by none other than Barry himself , with my camera !

The Jim Beam shirt you're wearing reminded me of something - I thought - funny.

In 1978 or so I was at the Austrian GP at the Salzburgring. A great circuit, for the spectators, with a wonderful view from the hill above that very fast corner. I missed the 1st day of pratice, which was not so bad, because it was cold and it had been raining all day.
One of our party however had arrived early and had seen practice. I asked him about the results. He was very enthusiastic about Jim Beam who had been among the fastest in all soloclasses.

Bourbon manufacturer Jim Beam, was sponsoring some Austrian riders, who took the opportunity to present themselves at the front, while the famous names were waiting for better weather.

#90 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 16 January 2005 - 15:15

I have not done research, my gamble: Alex Vieira

Dick
Holland

#91 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 06:44

Patrick Igoa

#92 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:29

Bravo Eugen, Bravissimo ! :clap:

Yes it is Patrick Igoa , and the reason I mentioned Hervé Moineau or Christian Léon, is that like those two riders, Patrick made a career in Endurance racing whereas his natural abilities should have made him a real Grand Prix great ...

I took this picture of Patrick at the Le Mans Bugatti circuit, while he was competing in the first round of the 1980 French 250 national championship. He made the grade two years later, when he embarked for his first international season. He stunned the Continental Circus paddock when he scored the 250 pole position for his first ever Grand Prix, at Nogaro, France, then won the Hockenheim european championship race in such convincing fashion that Barry Sheene, who was there as a guest star rider for the 500 race, invited him in his caravan and shared a bottle of german white wine with him . Ironically enough, he was a few months later indirectly the cause of Barry's terrible 1982 accident, when he tangled with a 125 during that infamous Silverstone free practice session before the British Grand Prix. He fell off and his 250TZ was laying stranded in the middle of the track, when Sheene and Jack Middleburg arrived at full speed and crashed heavily into the fallen bike…..

A few weeks later, I coincidentally made his acquaintance. I was on holidays at my in-laws near Biarritz, and my father-in-law, who was director of the local public transport , was paging through a bike magazine I had brought when he said : " hey, that's Igoa's son !!!" It turned out that Patrick's father was a bus driver in the transport company . Thrilled at the prospect of meeting a GP rider, I promptly called his home, talked to Patrick , said I'd like to meet him and spent a fascinating afternoon and evening , working with him on his bike and listening to his stories…..he still had in his workshop that empty bottle of german white wine, signed by Barry….

A few weeks later, he was called by Serge Rosset and offered a ride for the Bol d'Or on a works Kawasaki. That was the breakthrough of his career, since he promptly won the race , was drafted in the works Kawasaki team for the next season, and then signed with Honda for whom he scored three successive World Endurance Championships , in 1984, 1985 and 1986.

But although Endurance racing had brought him fame and fortune ( well, sort of….) he was still frustrated not to have fulfilled his road racing ambitions, so in 1987 he signed for the french Sonauto Yamaha importer to drive a works 250 for the full GP season. Alas, that year the V-Twin Yamaha was far behind the Honda's , and despite showing some speed and promise , Patrick fell off and hurt himself too often while trying to make up for his machine's deficiencies….

Although the plan was originally to run him for two seasons in 250, the team was confronted with a difficult choice at the end of the 1987 season , since another french rider, a very young Jean Philippe Ruggia, had been doing marvels on his private production TZ , and in fear of losing him to Honda, Sonauto signed him for the works 250 , and "offered" Patrick a 500 ride, on the one-year-old Yamaha that Christian Sarron had used in 1987 . This original "promotion" turned out to be a poisoned gift, since the 1987 model had not been a specifically good one , and could not at all compete with the 1988 machinery of Lawson, Rayney or Sarron, nor with Wayne Gardner's Honda or Kevin Schwantz's Suzuki .

So at the end of 1988 , Patrick was without a GP ride, and dabbled a few more years in Endurance and Superbikes before calling it a day and retiring to a Kawasaki dealership in Bayonne…..A real waste of a great talent . When I once visited him in his shop, I felt that disregarding the numerous Bol d'Or's and Endurance trophies displayed there, he was still bitter about not having shown what he was really worth in the GP field….

…and by the way…..at this very time, Patrick is taking part in the 2005 Paris-Dakar , although "only" as co-driver in a car !

PS : if any one is interested….this his Patrick's career photo gallery at the website of his shop : http://www.motogazz....otos/album1.htm

#93 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:36

And now Eugen, do you want to post a quizz photo ?

#94 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 07:39

Originally posted by dewittereus

He was very enthusiastic about Jim Beam who had been among the fastest in all soloclasses.

:lol: Good story Dick, thank you !

#95 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 16:47

Ok, I will post another one in the meantime.....

This should be easier , and it's a little bit the same story as the picture of Patrick Igoa . I took this photo when the guy was little known, and obviously during an endurance race.....but the man later scored many podiums in World Championship Grand Prix ( and yes, in the 500cc class) although never a win........

Fortunately, he too was later in his career rewarded with a FIM World Champion Title.......

So......Who? Where? When ?

Posted Image

#96 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 16:54

Jean Francois Balde. I would guess at the Bol d'or at paul Ricard.

Mo.

#97 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 17:02

Good try , there is indeed a certain similarity in that guy's helmet colors to those of Baldé ( at least in B&W ) . But no, it's not Jean-François

(but Jean-François was indeed running in the same race....and it is a Bol d'Or, but not at Paul Ricard )

#98 St.Hubbins

St.Hubbins

• 119 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 17:28

Raymond Roche fits the criteria nicely.

Then again, so does Marc Fontan.

#99 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,821 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 17:51

Originally posted by St.Hubbins
Raymond Roche fits the criteria nicely.

Then again, so does Marc Fontan.

:clap: Bravo St Hubbins, it is indeed Raymond Roche pictured at the 1977 Bol d'Or at Le Mans .

Raymond went to greater things in 500cc Grand Prix, first as a private/semi-works Honda rider, then for a year with Yamaha Marlboro, then for Katayama Honda, finally for Cagiva.

He of course later became World Superbikes Champion on a factory Ducati.

At first I thought you were wrong regarding Marc Fontan fitting the criteria, but of course you are perfectly right, apart for the nitpicking detail that he became World Endurance Champion in 1980 , and only later moved on to 500cc Grand Prix ( and sadly, with no podium I'm afraid....)

Advertisement

#100 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 19:44

Better late, then never...

Who? Where? When ? and WHY?

Posted Image