Photo

Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1

• Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#101 T54

T54

• 2,490 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 21:22

Still contemplating. It's in Italy (Cesenatico?), the bike is Italian, it is raining and it LOOKS like Bruno Spaggiari or Angelo Bergamonti.
Or LOTS of others taping their boots for rain and wearing a plain-silver Cromwell and Winters or Barrufaldi goggles and a leather face mask...

The bike looks like a 350 MV but with the wrong fairing... ???

OR, it could be Renzo Pasolini on the 500cc Benelli.

Advertisement

#102 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 22:28

[nitpicking mode]Correction: Patrick Igoa was not three times FIM World Champion, one of those years (1986 from memory) the Championship was downgraded to "FIM International Championship"[/nitpicking mode]

Oh, and btw the 125 rider with whom Igoa tangled at Silverstone was another buddy of Barry, Alfred Waibel!

Surely the last picture is a 350 MV, but the rider... ?

#103 smithy

smithy

• 2,459 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 22:40

This is magic MAGIC stuff. I'm absolutely out of my depth but loving the reading and the photos.

Keep up the good work phillipe7 and others. :up:

#104 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 17 January 2005 - 23:39

Eugen

It's a long shot, and the longer, lower exhaust doesn't look right but what about the Russian-made Vostok S-565 500cc GP bike? On the other hand that often had a two colour fairing like the MVs. I SHOUL know as this is my era but...

#105 T54

T54

• 2,490 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 03:22

Paul,
Can't be a Vostok with Ceriani brake AND forks... It's GOT to be Italian but the fairing is Japanese-like. Almost like a modified later TZ250! The other possibility would be Bill Smith on a 4-banger Honda with semi-works support, on a track in England where it rains most of the times which would explain the weather... :
Also the rear shocks look like Girling to me... another puzzle. Plus the Castrol sticker on the fairing and what appears to be a Rickman front fender... Man I am lost!
OK Philippe7, it's going to be my turn soon... :cool:

#106 Cogs

Cogs

• 31 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 04:14

Don't know much about bikes, Cogs, but love the name. Especially with Roadrunner tyres

Thanks, JohnB! :wave:

Although I roadrace vintage motorcycles, I'm not that up on all of its pertinent history, aside from all of the obvious players. I guess that's why I love this forum. It's taught me everything I know about vintage F1 .

It's a daunting task to decide you want to learn about something's rich past--I always liken it to the day one decides to start a jazz record collection: where do you start? Just jump in and hang on, I guess!

Cogs

#107 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:30

I was also going to say it was a Honda ( this Castrol sticker is very un-italian like ...) but didn't want to be first , in order not to look totally foolish....

My immediate thought when I discovered the picture was "it's Jim Redman" , for whatever reason . The helmet could point to that......but then there were indeed many standard grey Cromwells around..

#108 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 07:49

Originally posted by fines
[nitpicking mode]Correction: Patrick Igoa was not three times FIM World Champion, one of those years (1986 from memory) the Championship was downgraded to "FIM International Championship"[/nitpicking mode]

Are you sure Fines ? I always thought he had three"full" world championships , so I googled a bit and the "official" world endurance website confirms that ( I know, we shouldn't trust blindly those "official" sites, specially the "official database suppliers" or whatever ;) , but still...)

http://www.worldendu...om-item,00.html

In 1989 and 1990, it became an "FIM endurance cup" . You might be confusing with another issue, which is that Patrick won the 1986 title alone ( to his great sorrow) due to his faithful team-mate ( and usual title-sharer) Gérard Coudray having missed a round due to injury . If I remember well, the title being assured for him before the last round in Jerez, Patrick had actually volunteered not to take part in that last race and let Coudray ride with usual third rider Alex Vieira, in order to allow those two to "even up the score" in case they won, so that all three of them could share the world title....Honda objected to that, but I think the intention earned Patrick some sort of "fair play" trophy from the FIM....well deserved because Patrick has always been a genuine nice man .

#109 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:01

Oh, you're right, it was Vieira who won the non-world title :blush: I realised it as soon as I saw his name!

About the picture: Sure, the colours are wrong for MV, so maybe I'm wrong, or maybe it's a private machine??? Never heard of MVs in private hands though, although this era is not my speciality (I was born '67).

The name Honda also popped up in my brain, but I whisked it away - I'm not aware of private Hondas, either.

Surely not a bike from east of the curtain, although I'm no expert on them. But they usually looked different - this one has a distinct Italian air about it (or Japanese???).

#110 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:09

To T 54 : It is a 350 - but it is not a MV.

To Paul Rochdale : It is from East - but it is not from Russia.

And an another help : The photo is from a World Championship Grand Prix and the circuit is there in 2005 GP calendar, but ...

#111 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:20

Is it a Jawa at Brno?

Paul M

#112 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:31

It is Brno :clap: / but it is not a Jawa

Who?
Where - at Brno
When ?
WHY?

#113 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:35

CZ V-four with Bohumil Stasa. The V-concept explains the shorter supper exhausts. Very different from Honda or MV

#114 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 11:50

:clap: dewittereus you are the winner :clap:

Who? - Bohumil Stasa, CZ 350 cc
Where? - GP of Czechoslovakia, Brno

but When ? and WHY?

#115 fines

fines

• 9,647 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:43

when? 1969, July 20: Stasa finished 6th behind Ago (MV), Gould (Yamaha), Grassetti (Jawa), Rösner (MZ) and Visenzi (Yamaha).

but why? it wasn't the first race, a week earlier Stasa had already managed 5th at the Sachsenring! :confused:

#116 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 12:49

To fines - 1969 is not coorrect

#117 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 14:19

How about 1971? They wanted to race it sooner but weren't allowed by the USSR? (after the 1968 uprising)

This is all a bit before my era (1977 to date), but maybe I'll get a chance to post a photo sometime. I looked through my albums but couldn't find one of Patrick Igoa in his GP days.

Paul M

#118 T54

T54

• 2,490 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 15:59

Yes of course, I just found it in one of my books! Here, Bohumil is fending a group of Japanese and other Czech machinery at Brno where the picture presented in the quiz above was also taken:

Posted Image

That was of course the next option, the Czech. This is an extremely sophisticated, V-4 powered machine indeed, an amazing piece of work when one realizes the limitations in both financial and materials available to these brilliant people under the thumb of the Soviets. Sure enough, the front fender is of Rickman origin, while the front forks are Ceriani and so are the brakes. The rear shocks are Girling units. The engine is a thing of beauty! Here is the earliest version (the fuel tank, seat and other ancillaries evolved some over 1969) :

Posted Image

Regards,

T54

#119 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 16:36

To Macca and T54 : Yes.

Who? - Bohumil Stasa, CZ 350 cc
Where? - GP of Czechoslovakia, Brno
When ? - 18/7/1971

And WHY?

It has been last podium place for a czech(oslovak) rider and a czech(oslovak) machine in a GP... 12 237 days. :cry:

But this year we have Lukas Pesek with works Gilera in 125 cc :clap:

Posted Image

Lukas at Assen 2004.

:smoking:

Advertisement

#120 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 17:24

Originally posted by T54
Posted Image

Mon Dieu, T54, is that picture also from the 1971 Czech Grand Prix ? I'm amazed I can't recognise anybody outside of Stasa, I thought I knew better....only the Yamaha N°10 could maybe be Kent Andersson....or Bosse Granath ....but I'm really frustrated not to spot any other !

#121 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 17:32

And now, Macca and T54, would you both care to post a quizz pic ?

#122 T54

T54

• 2,490 posts

Posted 18 January 2005 - 18:04

Philippe7 ,
From left to right according to my fickle memory:

#29 is Duba on a CZ single. #7 is Stasa of course. Behind him COULD be Frantisek Stastny on a Jawa twin. # 12 is almost certainly Szabo on a TR2. I have to really think hard about the others... but #14 looks like Ginger Molloy. #10 could be Gyula Marsowsky...

Any help from our Eastern friends?
Kind regards,

T54

#123 dewittereus

dewittereus

• 103 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 14:47

Originally posted by T54
Philippe7 ,
From left to right according to my fickle memory:

#29 is Duba on a CZ single. #7 is Stasa of course. Behind him COULD be Frantisek Stastny on a Jawa twin. # 12 is almost certainly Szabo on a TR2. I have to really think hard about the others... but #14 looks like Ginger Molloy. #10 could be Gyula Marsowsky...

Any help from our Eastern friends?
Kind regards,

T54

14 is Theo Bult, Dutchman, riding a Ton Riemersma sponsored Yamsel (Yamaha in Seeley frame). Theo's highest place in GP's was 2nd (250cc Assen). He quit after an accident, deciding the sport was not worth the risks. His place in the Riemersma team was taken by Wil Hartog.

The results of the 1971 350 Brno race
1st Jarno Saarinen
2nd Bohumil Stasa
3th Theo Bult

I found another photo of Stasa in that race with some unhealthy smoke coming from the exhausts

Regards
Dick

#124 T54

T54

• 2,490 posts

Posted 19 January 2005 - 16:23

I found another photo of Stasa in that race with some unhealthy smoke coming from the exhausts

Dick,
Par for the course. Much unhealthy smoke came from the whole Soviet block as standard issue then and now... :lol: Thanks for the precisions, I am in total admiration for what the Czech accomplished under very hard circumstances all these years.
Regards,

T54

#125 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 17:45

Posted Image

My offering for who-what-when-where.........................but no clues.

Paul M

#126 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 20 January 2005 - 18:11

The late Kenny Irons , I would guess in 1987 (the year he was works GP rider for Suzuki ) , the bike is a 500 judging by the yellow plates but looks really un-grand prix like.....could that be a "production" class RG 500 ?

As to the place.....Donington maybe ?

Philippe

#127 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 15:01

:wave: Macca ! When you say "no clues" , does that mean you dont want to give us any clues....or that you have no clue yourself ?

In any case, this is Kenny Irons ( or somebody who borrowed his helmet ) , but I'd like confirmation of the year , place and bike model :)

#128 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 15:25

Sorry Philippe7,

I meant "I'm not giving any clues becaause you're too good at this!" :lol:

You are, of course, correct - it is the late Kenny Irons.

I took it at the British GP in 1987, at the exit from the Old Hairpin (probably in practise). He was on the first version of the Suzuki RGV500; their first full works effort since 1983 (excluding the Heron Suzuki GB and Gallina efforts with the leftovers in 1984-86 and a brief test of a prototype V4 by Niall Mackenzie at the end of 1986.

Kevin Schwantz did a few GPs in 1986 and 1987, prior to the full Pepsi-sponsored 1988 team.

Kenny was dropped for 1988, returned to British racing and was killed in a stupid warm-up lap crash at Cadwell Park. :cry:

Paul M

#129 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 17:12

Macca,

I'm really surprised how "old" that 500 V4 Suzuki looks....swingarm, or exhaust-wise... I hadn't realised how much technology has evolved since then-hence my suggestion it was a "production" RG..... I'm quite unforgiveable for not spotting the works machinery, since I actually saw Kenny Irons ride that very bike a little while earlier, at a very wet French GP at Le Mans . I don't recall how Kenny went, but Kevin Schwantz on the same machine fell off at the Chapelle hairpin on the first lap, broke a footrest but nevertheless completed all the race holding his foot up somehow, and did make a splendid ride back to the top places, in the pouring rain...

Well I guess it's my turn again to post a picture, but I'm at the office with no personal picture to scan, and at home I have plenty of pictures but no scanner.....so, anybody who wants to submit a pic for the week-end, please do ! ( :wave: T54 ? )

#130 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 17:18

Originally posted by Macca
a brief test of a prototype V4 by Niall Mackenzie at the end of 1986.
Paul M

A test of the V-4 ? What I remember for sure is having seen ( not so long ago ago ) a picture of a prototype carbon-fibre chassis which had been built by Heron for the V4 engine, following on the model they had used in 1986 with the old square-four.....but in the article they did say that Suzuki had sent them just an empty V4 cranckase and cylinder blocks as a "mock-up" to build the prototype .....but not an entire bike surely ?

I'm not sure , was the 1987 team still run by Heron , or was it a different organisation? I have a memory failure there...

#131 RedIsTheColour

RedIsTheColour

• 1,122 posts

Posted 21 January 2005 - 17:36

Great pics, great thread. The CZ V4 is fascinating.

#132 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 17:09

Mon Dieu ! this thread had almost slipped to page 3 !!!!

Here comes another personal photo...a clue ? OK....this guy won quite a few FIM World Championship Road Racing Grand Prix.....although on rather different machinery.

The "what" should be easy....but Who? Where? When?

Posted Image

PS : and a nice angle, too....

#133 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 12:18

by philippe7:

A test of the V-4 ? What I remember for sure is having seen ( not so long ago ago ) a picture of a prototype carbon-fibre chassis which had been built by Heron for the V4 engine, following on the model they had used in 1986 with the old square-four.....but in the article they did say that Suzuki had sent them just an empty V4 cranckase and cylinder blocks as a "mock-up" to build the prototype .....but not an entire bike surely ?

I've found some pictures of the prototype V4 (which I'll post later), but I can't find one of the composite V4 chassis, although I'm sure I've seen one.

I expect Suzuki were trying to keep Mackenzie for 1987, so let him try the new bike, but he went to Honda.

I think Heron-Suzuki ran the team in 1987, but weren't allowed to use their own frame for political reasons (like Hailwood with the Honda 500 in 1967).

As for your W-W-W-W...................no idea, yet again! (but the bike is a GSXR750 or 1000)

I get a feeling it's in France :rotfl: , maybe Le Mans.

But I don't recognise the helmet colours. Maybe Balde?

Paul M

#134 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 13:30

As for your W-W-W-W...................no idea, yet again! (but the bike is a GSXR750 or 1000)

I get a feeling it's in France :rotfl: , maybe Le Mans.

But I don't recognise the helmet colours. Maybe Balde?

Paul M

Well Paul, yes, you got the bike , it's a GSXR alright !

Et oui, bien sûr, c'est en France....mais pas Le Mans, non non...et pas Baldé....

As a hint, the guy kept the same helmet colours during all his years at top level ( which were many )

#135 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 14:15

No, still no idea!

Posted Image

Posted Image

picture hosting by Imageshack

pictures copyright Motor Cycle News

Paul M

#136 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 15:32

I've found some pictures of the prototype V4 (which I'll post later), but I can't find one of the composite V4 chassis, although I'm sure I've seen one.

Paul M

Thanks for the pics of Mackenzie on the first 1987 V-4 , that was news to me he had ever ridden it ( well, at that time anyway....of course, he was a full worksrider on a later-model V4 for the 1990 season )

I will do a bit of basement searching this evening to look for a photo of the prototype carbon-fibre V4 chassis

#137 Keir

Keir

• 5,235 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 16:26

A little bit off topic, but Geo Ham did some great cycle prints of prewar racing>

But, of course, you don't see very many large size prints available!!

#138 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 16:40

This is a guess but I think it might be Stephan Mertens on a Suzuki at Ledenon. The red plates are puzzling though.

Mo

#139 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 16:59

No, it's not Mertens and not Ledenon...Those red plates were used for Superbikes ( or "Production" as they were called in France ) at national but also World Championship level, before the compulsory coloured plates by category were sacrificed on the altar of "aesthetics" and corporate sponsor colours .....

We know it's in France, we know it's a Suzuki GSXR , what may I add ?

OK.....The rider is french.....

Advertisement

#140 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 17:23

Ok then I would say it is the terror of Toulouse, Raymond Roche. I have no idea where it is though.

#141 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 18:40

Originally posted by MoMurray
Ok then I would say it is the terror of Toulouse, Raymond Roche.

Toulon, dear, Toulon ....not Toulouse ;)

But no, it's not Raymond....I wouldn't post two pictures of him in the same thread would I ????

(and unfortunately, Raymond did not win "many" Grand Prix.....not even a single one actually )

#142 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 25 January 2005 - 19:15

I shall tool on then. Last chance (I feel like I am throwing balls at the carnival)...Dominique Sarron.

#143 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 06:51

Jean-Philippe Ruggia :confused:

#144 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 08:03

Thank you Eugen and Mo for trying, but it is neither Jean-Philippe Ruggia, nor Dominique Sarron..

One more hint ??? OK : the fellow indeed won quite a few FIM Grand Prix , but also the Bol d' Or , and the 24 hours of Le Mans.....

That should certainly narrow the search !!!

#145 Eugen

Eugen

• 59 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:23

OK, Guy Bertin

#146 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 09:36

Bayle?

#147 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:04

Originally posted by Eugen
OK, Guy Bertin

:clap: and the Winner is : Eugen again !

This is indeed Guy Bertin , pictured aboard a Superbike Suzuki GSXR 1100 at the Circuit Carole outside Paris in early 1988, during a French Production Championship race.

Guy Bertin had a long and distinguished career , winning six 125cc Grand Prix in 1979, 1980 and 1981 , and featuring well in 250 and 350cc. He also scored numerous World Endurance victories, and – jokingly - prides himself of being the only rider to have won " le Grand Prix de France, les 24 heures du Mans et le Bol d'Or" , which could be defined as a French "triple crown". He kept racing for pleasure way into his forties, still finishing 10th at the 2003 Bol d'Or , at a ripe 49 years of age !

At the risk of boring everybody, may I add a little personal touch…..Guy, like Patrick Igoa, is one of those few riders I was fortunate to meet personally, through coincidence since I had no connections in the racing world and was just a normal Joe Fan cheering from behind the fences…. He had been sponsored in 1987 for his 250 Grand Prix season by the "Pavé d'Affinois" , a french cheese (!) brand. At that time I was working for a supermarkets chain outside Paris, and what do I see one morning of December 1987 upon arriving at the store ? A 250RS Honda racer in the middle of the entrance, and none other than Guy Bertin serving samples of Pavé d'Affinois to the clients !!! Of course I promptly went to have a chat with him, and when he mentioned that he hadn't made any accomodation arrangements and that he would need to look for a hotel, I immediately offered him to come and stay at my place for the couple of days he had his presentation running…..he gratefully accepted my offer, but as you may guess he was not the happiest of us two…..Geee, a famous Grand Prix rider staying at my home !!!!

There are two side stories to that one ….

The happy one first : within those days he stayed with us, we were precisely due to move from a flat to a house , and when Guy heard of that, he told me he hoped I hadn't rented a lorry yet, because of course I could use his own lorry, which he had driven to Paris to bring his bike, and which was laying unused behind the store…Well I tell you, it was quite a feat to use a Continental Circus lorry, complete with work bench, spare parts , wheels and tyres, and even Guy's leathers hanging inside , to move my furniture aroud !

Here is the lorry in question outside the house I was moving into. That's Guy in the fur jacket. (and my wife in the blue coat, in case anyone cares…)

Posted Image

On a sadder note : one of those evenings, a colleague of Guy's came to pick him up at our house, to take him on a "Paris by night" tour…..it was a young up-and-coming rider, called Eric Sabatier , who had been team mate to Guy in the Suzuki works endurance team the year before. We had a drink or two together before they set off, and Eric really showed himself to be a genuinely charming young man….a few months later, while he was practising for a support 500cc national race for the 1988 French Grand Prix at Paul Ricard, he collided at full speed in the Mistral straight with another bike who had seized and slowed abruptly . Eric and the other rider, Patrick Durix, were both killed instantly.

The fact of having met Eric privately, even if only briefly, made me feel a level of grief which I had never experienced at the passing of other, much more famous, riders . It really made me wonder how the people involved in racing, and the riders in the first place, could manage to bear with the loss of so many friends or colleagues…..

Anyway, as a small tribute, this is Eric on his 500 RG Suzuki, at the same meeting at the Circuit Carole, a few weeks before his death.

Posted Image

#148 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 10:26

A little "congratulation" present for you Eugen, before you post the next "quizz" photo....

I will not insult you by asking you what it is, maybe only who is riding, where and when....but anyway, I saw that bike running only last year , and it is a marvelous beauty....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Copyright courtesy of my friend Pierre Gabriele, his nice personal photos nostalgia site :

http://www.pierre-ga...NavCircuits.htm

#149 Macca

Macca

• 3,528 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 15:49

That does look like Balde's crash-hat colours.

Bike is the 350/4 Jawa, of course; the circuit looks like Montlhery, the chicane with the banking in the background.

Paul M

#150 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,820 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 17:51

Yes Macca, it is Jean-François Baldé on his Jawa 350/4, at the "Coupes Moto Légende" at Montlhéry in 2002. Another piece of the incredible talent of the Czech engineers , who despite the iron curtain restrictions managed to create those marvels , that two-stroke V4 and also the 4-stroke V4 mentioned earlier in this thread . Of course for you Brits, this machine is also sadly linked to the loss of Bill Ivy......

I saw that same bike at the Gérard Jumeaux Trophies in Montlhéry in October 2004, it actually belongs to Jean-François Baldé ( I think he managed to be allowed to buy it , as a token of reward for a lot of various help he had apparently given to riders of the former eastern block during his Grand Prix days ) . He has made a splendid restoration job of it ( believe me I took very close looks...that front brake is a splendour ) . The bike is superb, and the sound of those four un-muffled expansion chambers is just shattering.....