Jump to content


Photo

Motorcycle racing; 1969-1990 nostalgia 1


  • Please log in to reply
15100 replies to this topic

#15051 Russell Burrows

Russell Burrows
  • Member

  • 6,529 posts
  • Joined: December 07

Posted 28 August 2008 - 18:57

Originally posted by Leon Storm
Have always wondered why it is that in the modern era, after the arrival of 2 strokes say post '74, that Great Britain haven't produced any really successful riders on the world stage. Only Barry Sheene. Geographically they were close enough to works machinery, and usually got it, yet no-one stood up to be counted. Conversely in the same period I can think of half a dozen Aussie probable world champions given the right bike.


1970's aye......Lets see, I think we won seven world titles and you won er....none.

Advertisement

#15052 andyb1963

andyb1963
  • Member

  • 648 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 28 August 2008 - 19:07

Originally posted by Russell Burrows


1970's aye......Lets see, I think we won seven world titles and you won er....none.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :clap: :clap: :rotfl: :rotfl: PMSL

#15053 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,986 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 28 August 2008 - 19:52

Originally posted by renzo
Posted Image


No Denis, that's a picture of someone digging himself into an even bigger hole

#15054 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 28 August 2008 - 20:22

Originally posted by Russell Burrows


We were preparing for the 2008 Olympics.




And that worked!!!!

#15055 stuavant

stuavant
  • Member

  • 704 posts
  • Joined: January 08

Posted 28 August 2008 - 20:40

Originally posted by Leon Storm
Have always wondered why it is that in the modern era, after the arrival of 2 strokes say post '74, that Great Britain haven't produced any really successful riders on the world stage. Only Barry Sheene. Geographically they were close enough to works machinery, and usually got it, yet no-one stood up to be counted. Conversely in the same period I can think of half a dozen Aussie probable world champions given the right bike.

I was there at this time mate and many English commentators were pissed off about the chances Australians and Kiwis were given, at there expense. i also reckon the English still saw motorcycles as a way to get to work whilst here and the USA it was a way to have fun!
IMO the real difference ,as I referred to earlier ,was dirt tracking and the like. Two strokes, undertyred slipping and sliding. I can recall Mike Sinclair coming back from Road Atlantic circa 74 and trying to explain how this skinny kid called Kenny Roberts had a TZ250 sideways!
As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks

#15056 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 28 August 2008 - 20:57

Originally posted by stuavant

I was there at this time mate and many English commentators were pissed off about the chances Australians and Kiwis were given, at there expense. i also reckon the English still saw motorcycles as a way to get to work whilst here and the USA it was a way to have fun!
IMO the real difference ,as I referred to earlier ,was dirt tracking and the like. Two strokes, undertyred slipping and sliding. I can recall Mike Sinclair coming back from Road Atlantic circa 74 and trying to explain how this skinny kid called Kenny Roberts had a TZ250 sideways!
As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks

You always were a gent Stu. Well said.

#15057 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 28 August 2008 - 21:23

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

You always were a gent Stu. Well said.


well done sir :up:
now lets get back to the good stuff!
Posted Image

www?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
no one?
it's my dad!! around 1930 ,ish.
now you know where i got it from,it's in the genes i tell you :lol:

#15058 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,986 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 28 August 2008 - 21:25

Originally posted by stuavant
...it disappoints me to see...

Thank you Stu! At last the voice of sanity :up:

#15059 exclubracer

exclubracer
  • Member

  • 1,714 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 August 2008 - 21:36

[QUOTE]Originally posted by renzo
[B]sad news drom the manx gp.
67 year old john goodall has died from injuries recieved from a crash at ballacraine yesterday on his g50.
i remember him from my days at the manx.
such a shame. :cry:


Just seen the post, I'm abroad. Terrible news, I knew John. R.I.P. :cry:

Advertisement

#15060 exclubracer

exclubracer
  • Member

  • 1,714 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 August 2008 - 21:41

As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks [/B][/QUOTE]

Very well put Stu, there's enough piss and vinegar in the world already, so please guys, let's keep the forum pleasant and informative for all to enjoy, eh? :up:

ATB
Mick.

#15061 andyb1963

andyb1963
  • Member

  • 648 posts
  • Joined: December 06

Posted 28 August 2008 - 22:03

Originally posted by stuavant

I was there at this time mate and many English commentators were pissed off about the chances Australians and Kiwis were given, at there expense. i also reckon the English still saw motorcycles as a way to get to work whilst here and the USA it was a way to have fun!
IMO the real difference ,as I referred to earlier ,was dirt tracking and the like. Two strokes, undertyred slipping and sliding. I can recall Mike Sinclair coming back from Road Atlantic circa 74 and trying to explain how this skinny kid called Kenny Roberts had a TZ250 sideways!
As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks

Well said Stu :clap:

#15062 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 28 August 2008 - 22:31

Originally posted by stuavant

I was there at this time mate and many English commentators were pissed off about the chances Australians and Kiwis were given, at there expense. i also reckon the English still saw motorcycles as a way to get to work whilst here and the USA it was a way to have fun!
IMO the real difference ,as I referred to earlier ,was dirt tracking and the like. Two strokes, undertyred slipping and sliding. I can recall Mike Sinclair coming back from Road Atlantic circa 74 and trying to explain how this skinny kid called Kenny Roberts had a TZ250 sideways!
As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks




Come on Stu.............golf is for enjoyment and this forum is for a good old laugh. Should someone post a comment that Leon,myself or anyone else for that matter feels is incorrect then we will say so.
We are not disappointed because you are disappointed........................we would not expect anything less.
Tee off at 1200 hours.
Have a great day.

#15063 TZ350

TZ350
  • Member

  • 789 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 28 August 2008 - 22:33

Originally posted by stuavant

As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks

Stu
well said mate .work has meant that I have not been on so much lately and the forum has always been good natured.
I found it rather sad seeing these cynical and unpleasant posts. i am no way a stuge but is seems to have started to taint the forum a little. lets get back to the old bullsh*t and fun stories, and great pics lads! JMHO

#15064 subh

subh
  • Member

  • 1,135 posts
  • Joined: July 04

Posted 28 August 2008 - 22:42

I don’t know if this is going to help the debate or take it back in the direction of a slanging match. But I spent some time getting the list together, so I hope you’ll want to see it ---


Although mostly outside of Grands Prix* there have been quite a few British riders who have won world championship titles post-Sheene (after 1977), including:

Mike Hailwood · TTF1 78

Alan Jackson · TTF2 78,79

Bill Smith · TTF3 78

Ron Haslam · TTF1 79, TTF3 80

Jock Taylor · Sidecar 80

Charlie Williams · TTF2 80

Tony Rutter · TTF2 81,82,83,84

Joey Dunlop · TTF1 82,83,84,85,86

Brian Reid · TTF2 85,86

Steve Webster · Sidecar 87,88,89,91,97,98,99,00,03,04

Carl Fogarty · TTF1 88,89,90, Endurance 92, Superbike 94,95,98,99

Terry Rymer · Endurance 92,99

Darren Dixon · Sidecar 95,96

Brian Morrison · Endurance 96

Steve Abbott · Sidecar 02

Neil Hodgson · Superbike 03

James Toseland · Superbike 04,07

Tim Reeves · Sidecar 05,06,07

* Some of the Sidecar titles count as GP titles



In the interest of balance, these Australians have been world champions in the same time period:

Barry Smith · TTF3 79,81

Wayne Gardner · GP 500cc 87

Mick Doohan · GP 500cc 94,95,96,97,98

Troy Corser · Superbike 96,05

Peter Goddard · Endurance 97

Warwick Nowland · Endurance 00

Troy Bayliss · Superbike 01,06

Andrew Pitt · Supersport 01

Chris Vermeulen · Supersport 03

Karl Muggeridge · Supersport 04

Casey Stoner · MotoGP 07


And of course I know some people will dispute whether some of those TT titles are true world titles, but these are the facts from the record books.

#15065 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,986 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 28 August 2008 - 23:48

Originally posted by subh
I spent some time getting the list together, so I hope you’ll want to see it

:clap: Thanks :wave:

#15066 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 28 August 2008 - 23:59

Originally posted by stuavant
As a side note, this Forum is fun for old wankers like me to read at night and enjoy..its dissapoints me to see you and your brother being cynical in your posts. If you want to be like that can you post elsewhere, otherwise sit back and enjoy..please..and you don't need to post a rude reply..Thanks

Thanks for the lecture Stu but it was a serious post. As you were there I might be interested to hear yours and others opinions on the matter, nothing cynical about it. You wanna know what rude is Stu? I think you've got that sorted.

#15067 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:03

Originally posted by mfd
Only thing you said that I don't understand is "Geographically they were close enough to works machinery" Do you mean GB is close to Japan :confused:

Yeah what I meant was teams with works equipment who were mostly based in Europe. Heron Suzuki etc etc. I realise with the emergence of the Japanese factories post about '87 things have changed somewhat and the advantage has probably swung back to the Aussies favour.

#15068 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:05

Originally posted by renzo
Posted Image

picture of someone trying to stir things up? :D

No not at all, are you lot all taking too much viagra causing this paranoia?

#15069 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:07

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer
Leon, who did you have in mind? I would be most interested to know who you rated good enough given the right tackle.

Well to name 3 certainties for mine I would say Hansford, Willing and Quincey and a good chance Jeff Sayle.

#15070 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:13

Originally posted by Russell Burrows
1970's aye......Lets see, I think we won seven world titles and you won er....none.

I did say post '74 not the '70s and my point was that had some of the Aussies gotten decent equipment they too would have been world champs so a comparison on titles between the two countries is a moot point.

Or is that just semantics?

#15071 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:19

Originally posted by subh
Although mostly outside of Grands Prix* there have been quite a few British riders who have won world championship titles post-Sheene (after 1977), including:

Mike Hailwood · TTF1 78

Alan Jackson · TTF2 78,79

Bill Smith · TTF3 78

Ron Haslam · TTF1 79, TTF3 80

Jock Taylor · Sidecar 80

Charlie Williams · TTF2 80

Tony Rutter · TTF2 81,82,83,84

Joey Dunlop · TTF1 82,83,84,85,86

Brian Reid · TTF2 85,86

Steve Webster · Sidecar 87,88,89,91,97,98,99,00,03,04

Carl Fogarty · TTF1 88,89,90, Endurance 92, Superbike 94,95,98,99

Terry Rymer · Endurance 92,99

Darren Dixon · Sidecar 95,96

Brian Morrison · Endurance 96

Steve Abbott · Sidecar 02

Neil Hodgson · Superbike 03

James Toseland · Superbike 04,07

Tim Reeves · Sidecar 05,06,07

* Some of the Sidecar titles count as GP titles

Yeah granted but it was more 2 strokes that I was talking about as they were really the world stage in the late '70's early 80's, and not comparing the nations, simply asking why there weren't any Brits good enough?

#15072 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,986 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:35

Originally posted by Leon Storm
Yeah what I meant was teams with works equipment who were mostly based in Europe. Heron Suzuki etc etc. I realise with the emergence of the Japanese factories post about '87 things have changed somewhat and the advantage has probably swung back to the Aussies favour.


I think it polite to reply. I'd rather adopt a balanced point of view, but whatever I post some of us might think it's contentious. It is just an opinion though. The 70's was a different period but it developed into something that favoured the guys who could slide by instinct, as Stu mentioned.

First I'll deal with the location of the works teams. Heron in the UK but also Gallina in Italy had Works support. HRC ran out of Belgium and Yamaha out of the Netherlands, but with the exception of Lucchinelli & Uncini, the locations didn't necessarily favour the locals did it? Suzuki employed Kiwis, Americans, Yamaha Italians, Americans, Canadians & Venezuelans...Honda Australians, Americans and yes, a couple of Brits.

I don't think it made any difference, they were just going to pick the quickest guys. The Brits who got works rides like Haslam, MacKenzie, McElnea & Burnett may have never really cracked it, but then you have to dial in who their team mate was & who got first shout on the grade A tyres & the other kit...

#15073 Leon Storm

Leon Storm
  • Member

  • 40 posts
  • Joined: April 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 00:48

Sorry for multiple replies but being under attack from the entire regiment of 'Dads Army' it was easier to address each pensioner individually. (insert smiley with tongue firmly in cheek here)

#15074 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:07

Originally posted by ex Rhodie racer

You always were a gent Stu. Well said.



A gent takes the weight on his elbows!!!

#15075 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 05:34

Originally posted by mfd


I think it polite to reply. I'd rather adopt a balanced point of view, but whatever I post some of us might think it's contentious. It is just an opinion though. The 70's was a different period but it developed into something that favoured the guys who could slide by instinct, as Stu mentioned.

First I'll deal with the location of the works teams. Heron in the UK but also Gallina in Italy had Works support. HRC ran out of Belgium and Yamaha out of the Netherlands, but with the exception of Lucchinelli & Uncini, the locations didn't necessarily favour the locals did it? Suzuki employed Kiwis, Americans, Yamaha Italians, Americans, Canadians & Venezuelans...Honda Australians, Americans and yes, a couple of Brits.

I don't think it made any difference, they were just going to pick the quickest guys. The Brits who got works rides like Haslam, MacKenzie, McElnea & Burnett may have never really cracked it, but then you have to dial in who their team mate was & who got first shout on the grade A tyres & the other kit...



Just your opinion and no..not contentious at all. Back in the seventies it was impossible to slide a bike on crossplys for more than a poofteenth of a second (I think that even Stu may back me on this one).
Once they started sliding it was either let go of the front brake or get off the gas. The limit was the limit. Radial tyres is another story.......spoilt (I mean lucky) sods!!

#15076 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

  • 6,611 posts
  • Joined: May 04

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:40

I would like to remind all forum members who post on this thread that personal insults, abuse and bad language won't be tolerated on TNF.

As you will have noticed, I've removed the most recent posts and will be contacting certain members directly in due course. In the meantime I'd be grateful if everyone reverted to the civilised, adult manner in which matters were conducted here until only recently. This is meant to be a fun place after all...

#15077 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 11:52

Originally posted by Twin Window
I would like to remind all forum members who post on this thread that personal insults, abuse and bad language won't be tolerated on TNF.

As you will have noticed, I've removed the most recent posts and will be contacting certain members directly in due course. In the meantime I'd be grateful if everyone reverted to the civilised, adult manner in which matters were conducted here until only recently. This is meant to be a fun place after all...



well well..........so much for freedom of speech.


#15078 Vaughan Coburn

Vaughan Coburn
  • Member

  • 41 posts
  • Joined: May 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:06

Originally posted by Twin Window
I would like to remind all forum members who post on this thread that personal insults, abuse and bad language won't be tolerated on TNF.

As you will have noticed, I've removed the most recent posts and will be contacting certain members directly in due course. In the meantime I'd be grateful if everyone reverted to the civilised, adult manner in which matters were conducted here until only recently. This is meant to be a fun place after all...



Ahem.....so you are the moderator? Reminds me of when an "official" was at Amaroo Park in Sydney and he loved authority. He was a bus conductor and when the bell went ding he stopped........and when it went ding ding off they went. He had never ridden a bike in his pathetic life.
No point posting anymore on the Stu Avant fan club.
Do not bother sending your "official" crap to me. Goose.

#15079 ex Rhodie racer

ex Rhodie racer
  • Member

  • 3,002 posts
  • Joined: February 07

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:30

Originally posted by Vaughan Coburn



Ahem.....so you are the moderator? Reminds me of when an "official" was at Amaroo Park in Sydney and he loved authority. He was a bus conductor and when the bell went ding he stopped........and when it went ding ding off they went. He had never ridden a bike in his pathetic life.
No point posting anymore on the Stu Avant fan club.
Do not bother sending your "official" crap to me. Goose.

Wow, someone got out of bed on the wrong side this morning :rotfl:
Guys, I loved the friendship and good vibes this site has been synonamous with until just recently. Can we go back there, please. :wave:
PS. If we want a scrap we can always visit the F1 site. :rotfl:

Advertisement

#15080 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY
  • Member

  • 214 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 August 2008 - 12:40

:wave:

it's all gone Pete Tong since Fu went away ,his pictures help keep this class well behaved... :up:

#15081 MoMurray

MoMurray
  • Member

  • 738 posts
  • Joined: September 00

Posted 29 August 2008 - 13:42

Thank you Twinny. Perhaps now we can get back to where we were.

Mo

#15082 Macca

Macca
  • Member

  • 3,537 posts
  • Joined: January 03

Posted 29 August 2008 - 15:30

Originally posted by Vaughan Coburn



Ahem.....so you are the moderator? Reminds me of when an "official" was at Amaroo Park in Sydney and he loved authority. He was a bus conductor and when the bell went ding he stopped........and when it went ding ding off they went. He had never ridden a bike in his pathetic life.
No point posting anymore on the Stu Avant fan club.
Do not bother sending your "official" crap to me. Goose.


Having a pop at the moderator as well as other posters is pretty futile........


Meanwhile...........................

We talked some pages ago about why Mamola was second in the WC many times but never champ. In 1979 he took over Baldwin's 500 ride on the Zago RG after doing some 250 GPs on a Bimota Yam, and got the 1980 works Suzuki ride on the basis of very few GPs, and actually didn't think he had the speed to beat Roberts until he did so (having the improved Full-Floater XR helped) by which time he was too far back on points.

1981 should have been his year, but everybody except 'Lucky' had bad luck or unreliability. In 1982 he was on the wrong tyres; the 1983 flexi-flyer XR45 was well past its sell-by date; Honda thought Spencer could win in 1984 on his own until too late and too many injuries, and Mamola and the other Honda boys were always second-class citizens as far as getting the good bikes; same in 1985 only more so.

The question I wonder about is why he didn't do better with Kenny's team; did they not get the same bits as Ago's?

And I think someone asked a while back about the last RGs to race in 500 GPs? WWW are these guys, on IIRC two of the last three RGs seen in 500 GPs?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paul M

#15083 antony duprat

antony duprat
  • Member

  • 979 posts
  • Joined: May 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 17:25

Originally posted by Macca


Having a pop at the moderator as well as other posters is pretty futile........


Meanwhile...........................

We talked some pages ago about why Mamola was second in the WC many times but never champ. In 1979 he took over Baldwin's 500 ride on the Zago RG after doing some 250 GPs on a Bimota Yam, and got the 1980 works Suzuki ride on the basis of very few GPs, and actually didn't think he had the speed to beat Roberts until he did so (having the improved Full-Floater XR helped) by which time he was too far back on points.

1981 should have been his year, but everybody except 'Lucky' had bad luck or unreliability. In 1982 he was on the wrong tyres; the 1983 flexi-flyer XR45 was well past its sell-by date; Honda thought Spencer could win in 1984 on his own until too late and too many injuries, and Mamola and the other Honda boys were always second-class citizens as far as getting the good bikes; same in 1985 only more so.

The question I wonder about is why he didn't do better with Kenny's team; did they not get the same bits as Ago's?

And I think someone asked a while back about the last RGs to race in 500 GPs? WWW are these guys, on IIRC two of the last three RGs seen in 500 GPs?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Paul M


Claude Albert and Andy Leuthe ? 1989 ?

The last to take the start with a RG was, i think, Andy Leuthe in 1991...this year the Chilian V. Cascino was DNQ at the Tchech GP...1989 was the real last season with many RG entrants

#15084 ESSEXBOY

ESSEXBOY
  • Member

  • 214 posts
  • Joined: October 07

Posted 29 August 2008 - 17:49

"He was a bus conductor and when the bell went ding he stopped........and when it went ding ding off they went. "


Pedantic I know but .............it's actually the bus driver that makes the bus go and stop :eek:


was the customer RG500 the most successful customer bike in the 500 class? or did the Manx Norton win the most ?

I'm a Stu fan and proud of it
:up: :up: :up:

#15085 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 18:31

Originally posted by Vaughan Coburn



Ahem.....so you are the moderator? Reminds me of when an "official" was at Amaroo Park in Sydney and he loved authority. He was a bus conductor and when the bell went ding he stopped........and when it went ding ding off they went. He had never ridden a bike in his pathetic life.
No point posting anymore on the Stu Avant fan club.
Do not bother sending your "official" crap to me. Goose.


bye,bye.
please dont slam the door on the way out.

#15086 mfd

mfd
  • Member

  • 2,986 posts
  • Joined: May 03

Posted 29 August 2008 - 20:40

Originally posted by renzo
bye,bye - please dont slam the door on the way out.

:lol: :rotfl: Couldn't have put it better myself :up:

#15087 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:17

All back together after the dyno run.

Posted Image

The puddle of water is where I drained the water afterwards. I don't like to leave them with water in and I only ever use water. As you all know, anti-freeze is slippery and doesn't evaporate very quickly leaving the race track quite interesting.

PaulMB

#15088 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:20

Intake ports in reed cage are very small, just 18mm by 30mm.

Posted Image

PaulMB

#15089 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:22

Originally posted by PaulMB
All back together after the dyno run.

Posted Image

The puddle of water is where I drained the water afterwards. I dont like to leave them with water in and I only ever use water. As you all know anti-freeze is slippery and doesn't evaporate very quickly.

PaulMB


Looks good paul :up: , much better than your first photos. Do think it would look better under NZ sun though, especially if you are looking for a rider down this way :D

#15090 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:26

Pressure plate has these 4 loose ball bearings between the pushrod and the pressure plate. Interesting!

Posted Image

PaulMB

#15091 LamboNZ

LamboNZ
  • Member

  • 1,390 posts
  • Joined: February 08

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:26

Originally posted by PaulMB
Intake ports in reed cage are very small, just 18mm by 30mm.

Posted Image

PaulMB


Looks like they have been reduced too, going by the marks in the original mould markings.

#15092 royston

royston
  • Member

  • 73 posts
  • Joined: November 07

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:34

Well, what HP did it make on the dyno Paul?


:) :)

#15093 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:36

Needle rollers for swing arm and thrust bearing, still to be cleaned and regreased.

Posted Image

PaulMB

#15094 renzo

renzo
  • Member

  • 821 posts
  • Joined: August 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:37

Originally posted by LamboNZ


Looks good paul :up: , much better than your first photos. Do think it would look better under NZ sun though, especially if you are looking for a rider down this way :D


sweeeeeet :clap:

#15095 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:39

Originally posted by LamboNZ


Looks like they have been reduced too, going by the marks in the original mould markings.


Not reduced but these are the marks of the reed cages.

PaulMB

#15096 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:40

Somebody had a lot of time (and a mill) to make all these lovely parts. Caliper is retained on the bronze coloured bush to hold it up when wheel is removed.

Posted Image

PaulMB

#15097 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:46

Here is the reed cage group and the stuffers, used to keep gas speed up, but also reduces intake port, (slightly?).

Posted Image

PaulMB

#15098 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 21:47

Originally posted by royston
Well, what HP did it make on the dyno Paul?


:) :)


122bhp at 11700rpm. Very good flat curve, well almost a straight line, with no sudden climbs or holes, must have been easy to ride, bit like a big road bike. Will try to scan and post copy over the weekend. May have a later V4 Suzuki to test on the same dyno later this year.

PaulMB

#15099 PaulMB

PaulMB
  • Member

  • 432 posts
  • Joined: February 06

Posted 29 August 2008 - 22:08

Sprocket is quite complicated, certainly more so than the Suzuki standard fare. Why machine these semi-blind holes to carry the dampers on two thirds of the sprocket thickness? The Suzuki is way more simple to machine and the weight of the two systems, from feeing them in my hand, does not seem significantly different.

Posted Image

The black part, below, has 5 large socket head bolts securing this to one side of the rear wheel boss. Bearing spacer is captive. The heads of the bolts fit into and provide the drive for the dampers in the sprocket. A thin washer slots over the black threaded part and a large alloy nut is tightened to secure the sprocket onto the wheel.

Nice design, better than the Suzuki, with its loose alloy bearing spacer and a series of shim washers under titanium caps on the end of the spacer. We used to suffer from bearings spinning in the wheels, wheel is then junk. With the Cagiva system, just change the bearing carrier.

Posted Image



Paul MB

Advertisement

#15100 bira

bira
  • Member

  • 13,359 posts
  • Joined: November 98

Posted 29 August 2008 - 22:52

It has become impossible to keep this thread active, due to its unusual length. Threads shouldn't be longer than 4000 posts. It is impossible to read through them, search, remove posts when needed, etc.

So I'm really sorry, but I have to shut this thread down. I urge you to please start a new one to continue the discussion.

Thanks,

Bira