Photo

F3 Italia 1967, 2 races to unveil

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 23:30

I am in search of information on 2 F3 races, held in Italia in 1967.

First was held at San Piero a Sieve (somewhere on the old Mugello) the 11th of June.
All I know is a very small report in Autosport which provides only the 3 first classified :
1. Brambilla (Birel) / 2. Manfredini (Brabham) / 3. Petri (De Sanctis)

Second was (according to another tiny report in Autosport) at Vallelunga on November 19.
1. "Ghefra" (Birel) / 2. Natili (Bianchini) / 3. "Guido" (Brabham) / 4. Montagnani (Brabham)

Both seemed to have been scheduled with a "2 heats + final" frame, but nothing I know about number of laps, times achieved, winner mean.

And I mainly look for complete results & entry lists.

BTW, does somebody know who is "Ghefra" ? Could it be Franco Ghezzi, doing a one-off ?

Advertisement

#2 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 09:56

Unfortunately I don't know anything about these races. I only add that San Piero a Sieve is the village where start/finish line of the old Mugello circuit was located, as you can see on the map on my site.

Could this race be on the old Mugello circuit? If so, it would have been an interesting race!

Ciao,
Guido

#3 Hugo Boecker

Hugo Boecker

• 702 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 10:04

The Vallelunga race was an aggregate classification of two heats.

1. >>Gehfra<<				 Birel-Ford

2. Massomo Nattili			Bianchini-Ford

3. >>Guido<<				  Brabham-Ford

4. Maurizio Montagiani	 Brabham-Ford

5. Luigi Petri					 De Sanctis-Ford

6. Saverio Salerno			Brabham-Ford

#4 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 11:09

A friend of mine lives in the small town of San Piero a Sieve, just in front of the road where was the finish-line of the race!

He told me something about this track: it was a sort of circuit in open roads around the built-up area. Very small and dangerous roads with sidewalks, plants and walls all around. A noble and rich man (name unknown) who lived in the region “created” this circuit, he made use of a part of the old 66 Km Circuito del Mugello, statal and provincial roads and also parts of his private roads (near the Fortezza di San Martino, a hill over the town), to “close” the circuit.

I think, watching the old Mugello map in Guido’s site, it’s possible to find a ring of roads around San Piero a Sieve. But I’m not sure this was the real map of the circuit.

After the F. 3 race in June 1967, no other races were organized at San Piero a Sieve. But my friend remember well at the end of 1971 or first months 1972 a private test of team Tecno F. 1, driver Nanni Galli, in the private roads around the Fortezza di San Martino.

#5 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 18 February 2005 - 19:14

Jimmy

The race at Vallelunga was titled the "Coppa Supercortemaggiore" and consisted of two heats of 33 laps each, a total of 205.590 km.

Twenty cars participated in the first heat that was won by Ernesto Brambilla in a Tecno TF/67-Ford.
Only 10 cars survived for the second heat and it was won by Maurizio Montagnani in a Brabham BT21 who had finished only 8th in the first heat, some three laps down. Unfortunately for Brambilla his Tecno expired after 25 laps in the second heat and it was "Ghefra" in a Birel who was 2nd in both heats to take the aggregate win. "Ghefra"'s combined times was given as 1:37' 52.5 at an average of 126.026 km/h.

John

#6 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 20:27

This is what I’ve found in Auto Italiana magazine issue n. 25, 1967.

1 Coppa San Piero a Sieve
11.Jun. 1967
Italian F. 3 Championship - only Italian drivers reserved
San Piero a Sieve, road circuit km. 5,600 (built-up area, down-hill Novoli junction, Fortezza San Martino hill) near Firenze, Italy

Heat 1 and Heat 2: 10 laps
Final: 26 laps
23 entered drivers

Practice
1 – # 34 Enzo Corti – BWA, 2’29”4
2 – Carlo Facetti – Brabham, 2’29”5
3 – # 15 Antonio Maglione - De Sanctis, 2’33”7
4 – # 3 Corrado Manfredini – Brabham, 2’33”9
5 – # 6 Luigi Petri - De Sanctis, 2’36”0
6 – # 4 Tino Brambilla – Birel, 2’37”5
7 – Mauro Nesti – Tecno, 2’37”6
8 – # 9 “Tiger” (Romano Perdomi) - De Sanctis, 2’37”9
9 – Luciano Selva – Birel, 2’39”7
10 – Maurizio Montagnani – Brabham, 2’40”0
11 – “Geki” (Giacomo Russo) - Matra
12 – Franco Tofani - BWA
13 - # 38 Luciano Pavesi - Branca
14 – “Guido” (Guido Passera) - Brabham
15 – Cristiano Del Balzo “Gero” - De Sanctis
16 – Franco Foresti - Speedcar
17 - Lella Lombardi - Branca
18 - “Dubis” (Bruno Corradi) - Foglietti
19 – Tommaso Carletti - Cooper
20 – Franco Locci - Stanguellini-Fiat
21 – I. Nicoletti - xxx
22 – M. Ambrogetti - Wainer
23 – xxx -xxx

Heat 1 (even times)
1° – Tino Brambilla – Birel, 10 laps in 25’46”2 media 130,384 km/h
2° – Corrado Manfredini – Brabham, 26’09”1
3° – Maurizio Montagnani – Brabham, 26’41”5
4° – “Guido” – Brabham, 26’54”2
5° – “Dubis” – Foglietti, –1 lap
6° - Franco Foresti – Speedcar, –1 lap
7° - Franco Locci – Stanguellini, –1 lap
8° - Luciano Selva – Birel, –1 lap
9° - M. Ambrogetti – Wainer, –2 laps
Best lap: Carlo Facetti – Brabham, lap 3, 2’30”5 media 133,955

Heat 2 (odd times)
1° – Antonio Maglione - De Sanctis, 10 laps in 25’41”3 media 130,798 km/h
2° – “Geki” – Matra, 25’48”3
3° – Luigi Petri - De Sanctis, 26’04”2
4° – Mauro Nesti – Tecno, 26’27”5
5° – “Tiger” - De Sanctis, 26’40”6
6° - Luciano Pavesi – Branca, 28’03”8
7° - “Gero” - De Sanctis, 28’05”5
8° - Lella Lombardi – Branca, –1 lap
9° - Tommaso Carletti – Cooper, –1 lap
Best lap: Antonio Maglione - De Sanctis, e Enzo Corti – BWA, lap 2, 2’30”8 media 133,687

Final
1° – Tino Brambilla – Birel, 26 laps in 1.05’11”5 media 134,001 km/h
2° – Corrado Manfredini – Brabham, 1.05’39”3
3° – Luigi Petri - De Sanctis, 1.05’56”2
4° – “Guido” – Brabham, –1 lap
5° - “Gero” - De Sanctis, –1 lap
6° – Maurizio Montagnani, - Brabham –1 lap
7° – Antonio Maglione, - De Sanctis –2 laps
8° - Franco Foresti – Speedcar, –3 laps
9° - Franco Locci – Stanguellini, –4 laps
Best lap: Tino Brambilla – Birel, lap 6, 2’26”6 media 137,517

:)

#7 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 20:36

Originally posted by humphries

...won by Ernesto Brambilla in a Tecno TF/67-Ford.

John, it's very very strange to read Tino Brambilla driving a Tecno!

Brambilla drove a Birel in 1967 or a Brabham in 1968... but a Tecno, I've never heard before!

#8 bschenker

bschenker

• 523 posts

Posted 19 February 2005 - 22:52

Give a look to this side of the site from Stefan Ă–rnerdal .

http://www.formula2.net/F367_E76.htm

and I remember on this race Brambilla was on the Tecno

#9 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 01:28

Thanks to Nanni Dietrich's description, to topographic maps and aerial photos (both found on www.atlanteitaliano.it) I tried to reconstruct San Piero a Sieve circuit (click on the map to open my page) :

Posted Image

I checked total lenght and it's between 5 and 6 km, so it should be quite correct!

Ciao,
Guido

#10 humphries

humphries

• 931 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 11:15

Nanni

Yes, you are right about Tino Brambilla racing a Birel in 1967 at least into the summer. Thereafter he appears to have switched to Tecno, a car badly in need of sorting. At the Zandvoort Trophy(27 Aug) he drove the Tecno but retired. Later, as bschenker says, he was at Hockenheim ( 1 Oct ) for the European F3 Challenge and did well to finish 7th. Then at Vallelunga ( 8 Oct ) he won the Trofeo Luigi Musso and in the Coppa Supercortemaggiore ( 19 Nov ) he almost pulled off another win. Of course in 1968 a Tecno became a car to be reckoned with and it would appear that Ernesto played his part.

Thanks for the information on the San Piero a Sieve race. I only looked at "Autosprint" for 1967 on my visits to the Biscaretti and could not find a report.

John

#11 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 13:13

Dear friends,
I was born in San Piero a Sieve and I live here.
There are some imperfections in these quite correct reconstructions of the circuit of F.3. San Piero a Sieve 1967 race.

1.) the circuit of F.3. race was obtained by using the two section around San Piero a Sieve of the old Mugello circuit, in other words the northern section "around San Piero a Sieve" (219 in the map) was part of the old Mugello circuit from 1966 until 1970, the southern one was the section "across San Piero a Sieve" of the old Mugello until 1965.
2.) the private circuit near the "Fortezza di San Martino" was'nt used for F.3. race.
It was a small ring, approximately located in the site named "MONTI" in the map.
3.) I remember the race was "clockwise", but I will inform you about this particular.
4.) The section across San Piero a Sieve is very easy to describe.
At the time San Piero a Sieve town center had a map quite linear along the "main road" (in the map I think the red/green one) .
The race started in front of my house (I lived near the center until 1969) and the circuit"passed-throw" the town-center.
To close the circuit was used "Via Roma" connecting the "main-street" (Via Provinciale) with Via Massarondinaia, the most dangerous part of the circuit, a narrow road with ravine in the right side and the "Fortezza Hill" on the left one.
The circuit was approximately 3,5-4 Km, but I can measure it with my car if you want, all the part of the circuit are quite in the same condition of 1967.

Sorry for my little english, I hope my post will bw useful for you.

Fr@nk :wave:

This is a map of the circuit, sorry for the quality definitely not too good !

Posted Image

#12 Jimmy Piget

Jimmy Piget

• 530 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 03:47

Thanks a lot to every poster here : even if the Vallelunga Cortemaggiore race still keeps some mystery (but not that much, now), we now know very much more on San Piero, even the circuit used !
That's why TNF must go on !

BTW, any clue on who "Ghefra" was ?

#13 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:06

Originally posted by Jimmy Piget
... even if the Vallelunga Cortemaggiore race still keeps some mystery...

Jimmy, just a thing: the correct name is "Supercortemaggiore". This was an original brand of the AGIP, the Italian national oil company.
Cortemaggiore is a village near Bologna where in 1949 Enrico Mattei (famous President of ENI-AGIP) found some methane and petroleum in the subsoil... the market brand of AGIP petrol was named "Supercortemaggiore".

#14 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 25 February 2005 - 21:53

I send you a picture of San Piero a Sieve 1967 F.3 race.

:| I think you can understand how much dangerous was, but it was also fantastic ! :clap:

Fr@nk

Posted Image

#15 crozier74

crozier74

• 14 posts

Posted 26 February 2005 - 14:27

Image not working for me Frank :( :

BTW, thank you very much for your contribution to this thread and the motor racing world's knowledge of the San Piero a Sieve circuit :clap: :D

#16 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 27 February 2005 - 13:59

I try again ...
sorry for the mistake .... :blush:
I hope that's good now !
Please if you jave more problems don't hesitate to contact me... :wave:

Posted Image

#17 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 13:57

Fr@nk! :up:

There are the good BWA of Enzo Corti (#34, pole position) and the De Sanctis of Antonio Maglione I think at the start of 2nd heat.
Incredible track!

Enzo Corti was a very promising driver from Milan, one of the best young Italian driver at the time. He ran F. 2 races in 1969 (2 points in the European Championship) and 1970, he was named as a Lotus F. 2 driver for 1971 season but unfortunately perished at the beginning of 1971 in a road accident.

#18 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:43

:clap:
Nanni,
I think you're right. :up:
The photo is taken just fifty meters after the start-line.
At the time I lived in the house near the "Esso" fuel service, in the balcony on the left you can see my family (and me, I was nine ! :yawn: ) watching the race.
Bye

#19 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 14:06

uuuhmmmmmm... were perhaps the beautiful Fiat 2300 S Coupè and the Spyder Fiat 124 your family cars?
:rotfl:

Advertisement

#20 Rob29

Rob29

• 3,582 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 15:20

Wow! what I would have given to live on a race circuit! nearest was Crystal Palace a bus ride away.

#21 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 20:59

Nanni,
unfortunately the Fiat 2300 wasn't my family-car !
I send you some other photos of the race.
All the photos are owned by my friend Enzo Labardi :clap: , he and his older brother Silvano, are the managers of the garage in which you can see the Fiat 2300 and other cars.
At the time some teams used the Labardi's garage like pit !
(see the secon photo !) :up:

Bye

Posted Image

Posted Image

#22 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 06 March 2005 - 16:02

I found on Autosprint some more info about Circuito della Fortezza and I have just uploaded on my site.

Besides I added these pics to my San Piero a Sieve page, with Fr@nk consent (thanks!)

Ciao,
Guido

#23 Fr@nk

Fr@nk

• 158 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 08:44

Hi friends,
a friend of mine, Mr Enzo Labardi, has found in his garage, this historical object !
It's a real "service tag" (the clothe's stripe that officers have to wear during the race) of the 1967 F3 race.
I hope do you like it.

Bye

Posted Image

#24 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 187 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:01

I am in search of information on 2 F3 races, held in Italia in 1967.

First was held at San Piero a Sieve (somewhere on the old Mugello) the 11th of June.
All I know is a very small report in Autosport which provides only the 3 first classified :
1. Brambilla (Birel) / 2. Manfredini (Brabham) / 3. Petri (De Sanctis)

Second was (according to another tiny report in Autosport) at Vallelunga on November 19.
1. "Ghefra" (Birel) / 2. Natili (Bianchini) / 3. "Guido" (Brabham) / 4. Montagnani (Brabham)

Both seemed to have been scheduled with a "2 heats + final" frame, but nothing I know about number of laps, times achieved, winner mean.

And I mainly look for complete results & entry lists.

BTW, does somebody know who is "Ghefra" ? Could it be Franco Ghezzi, doing a one-off ?

Do you want the others images I have (five) of the San Piero a Sieve event by PM ?

a story : all observers where very happy when the event was finished, because it was an INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS LAYOUT, and everyone waited for big crashes , and even deads , a kind of CHIMAY belgian track -like, but with far more difficulties and traps to go in (bricks wall , lamps , hidden corners with houses ...)

AUTO ITALIANA observers said it was a race in the "thirties spirit " , a thing they had not witnessed since a long time before, but with 67 cars...

They were happy with the organisers liability not have been in charge when the chequered flag dropped !

and the First Coppa San Piero a Sieve wld never take place again...

Does this event who have been run in a more international category, journalists would still speak about it today !!http://img143.imageshack.us/my.php?image=67coppasanpieroasieveernestobr

#25 M Needforspeed

M Needforspeed

• 187 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:18

http://img143.images...asieveernestobr

#26 Nanni Dietrich

Nanni Dietrich

• 1,431 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 17:10

BTW, any clue on who "Ghefra" was ?

Sorry for delay, Jimmy, I forgot...
"Ghefra" is definitely Francesco Ghezzi, who unfortunately was killed in a road accident in Italy in the early 70s.

#27 gdecarli

gdecarli

• 1,038 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:09

Thanks to Niccolò Ricci, I have just added to my page some new photos about San Piero a Sieve race (June 11, 1967) :

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
(click to open my page, where you can see bigger photos)

Ciao,
Guido