Photo

Wheel Tethers

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 NimT

NimT

• 2 posts

Posted 11 May 2005 - 22:17

I'm doing some research for an innovation I have to improve F1 safety which partly involves the wheel tethers.

Quick background: Wheel tethers became a mandatory safety feature of F1 cars in 1999 with the impetus being provided by the huge pile up at the start of the 1998 Belgian GP, where the wheels effectively became lethal rubber missiles. The polymer construction tethers connect the wheel hubs to the chassis to prevent the wheels coming free and bouncing around, and have reduced (though not totally eradicated) incidents involving wheels.

What I'd like to get hold of are ANY photos/diagrams/drawings showing exactly how they connect the hubs to the chassis. Passing though the wishbones, where exactly are they fastened? Pictures of the tethers on their own would also help. For example, are there any Piola assembly drawings incorporating them?

Cheers,

Advertisement

#2 Semtex

Semtex

• 20 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:55

DOnt know of any pictures available, but FIA.Com has the the technical specification and supplier details listed on its web site.

I do know that the tether is passed through the wishbone fairing from the upright to a Bobin arrangement in the rocker design, some may even lay an insert in the chassis which it could be atached to, but i doubt that as it could rip a hole in the tub.

I will look through my ( non offical ) pictures at home and see if I can find any of interest.

#3 scarbs

scarbs

• 743 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 13:39

the tethers pass through the front legs of the lower (hollow) wishbone. At the chassis side they emerge and end in a loop which is bolted to the front bulkhead of the chassis near the (pictured as the two bolts low down with thealloy covering plate. At the upright side they emerge from the wishbone and bolt to the upright. Getting to see the upright end is difficult as they are shrouded in the brake ducts. I have seen one tether fasten to the same bolt that secures the lower wishbonerod end to the upright.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#4 gbaker

gbaker

• 264 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 14:04

Gramling presented a paper on this at the SAE conference in, I think, 2002.