Photo

Motorcycle GP World Championships

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 04:46

Is there a good site or sites for Motorcycle World Championship individual event results. I'm interested in every year, and every class from the beginning in 1949.

Second question. Are these results available in the book, Motocourse:50 Years of Moto Grand Prix.

Many thanks.

Advertisement

#2 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:39

http://motogp.tiscal...tm?menu=archive

That one is quite good.

http://www.chez.com/...TO_SOMMAIRE.htm

So is that, but in French.

Paul M

#3 Toby Moody

Toby Moody

• 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 08:38

There is a Marlboro Sponsored book by Werner Haefliger. It is available at the MotoGP races.

Only 125 250 and 500/MotoGP, but invaluable.

Hope helps

#4 Wolf

Wolf

• 7,883 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:13

Originally posted by Toby Moody
There is a Marlboro Sponsored book by Werner Haefliger. It is available at the MotoGP races.

Hope helps

:clap: Welcome to our humble abode, Mr. Moody. :clap: May I compliment You on splendid commentary for Eurosport?

On a related note, I've just sent an E-mail to MotoGP site, which has Opatija (Preluk) and Rijeka (Grobnik) races ('69 to '9x) as 'Yugoslavian GP' instead of 'Adriatic GP', and suggested to try out Preluk for GPL if they get a chance- one learns to appreciate the challenge of the track even with 4 wheels.

#5 petefenelon

petefenelon

• 4,815 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 11:30

Schertenleib/Bula's "Continental Circus" has results from 1949-2000 - I can't vouch for its accuracy but it's a nice looking book!

#6 Leo

Leo

• 253 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 14:14

Top 10 results of any race are available in the Honda database:

http://www.honda-rrs.net/E/WGP/

Other website with usefull info by Nobuya Yoshimura:

http://www.europark.com

#7 wildman

wildman

• 294 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 14:51

Originally posted by cabianca
Second question. Are these results available in the book, Motocourse:50 Years of Moto Grand Prix.

The Motocourse book contains tables summarizing the top 10 in points for each championship through 1998. The tables include individual race results for those riders, but if a rider wasn't in the top 10 at season's end, his race results aren't in the book.

#8 ReWind

ReWind

• 3,394 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 18:48

As is exemplified in this thread the problem with those books by Haefliger and Büla is that the results are confined to the points scoring positions. If you want FULL results you are deserted.

#9 Doug Nye

Doug Nye

• 11,524 posts

Posted 09 June 2005 - 22:48

Originally posted by Wolf

:clap: Welcome to our humble abode, Mr. Moody. :clap: May I compliment You on splendid commentary for Eurosport?

Ditto everything posted by Wolf - welcome - and compliments on a consistently impressive and entertaining job excellently done.

DCN

#10 ghinzani

ghinzani

• 2,027 posts

Posted 10 June 2005 - 18:16

Originally posted by Toby Moody

Hope helps

Agree with all the welcomes for Mr Moody, himself, Julian and Randy have made sundays worthwhile again! Toby I notice the Podge is starting to claw his way back into contention. Can you explain whats happened with this guy with perjuring yourself? 125 Champ, 250 Champ at the first try, then a dismal season and back to 125 obscurity... On Ten-tenths we had a discussion about it and all sorts of things from shady Italian business deals to autism were mentioned.

Anyway hes 7th at present which is a start, altho back in his good 250 year I was confidently predicting he'd be in a Melandri position by now :blush:

125cc top ten - first qualifying:

1. Pasini (Aprilia)
2. Kallio (KTM) +0.310secs
3. Simoncelli (Aprilia) +0.388secs
4. Koyama (Honda) +0.637secs
5. Talmacsi (KTM) +1.089secs
6. Masbou (Honda) +1.161secs
7. Poggiali (Gilera) +1.182secs
8. Faubel (Aprilia) +1.233secs
9. Luthi (Honda) +1.256secs
10. Pesek (Derbi) +1.339secs

#11 cabianca

cabianca

• 712 posts

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:15

My project is to document every race that Ago and Hailwood each ran in, including non-champ races. Sounds like I've got my work cut out for me.

#12 Agnis

Agnis

• 352 posts

Posted 13 June 2005 - 15:13

Data about FIM World Championships, FIM SBK and AMA Superbike are as complete as they can be at the moment.

Can somebody give me an advice where to look to get some info about AMA Grand National Championships? Those, where Joe Leonard and Joe Weatherly competed.

#13 wildman

wildman

• 294 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 13:20

Originally posted by Agnis
Can somebody give me an advice where to look to get some info about AMA Grand National Championships? Those, where Joe Leonard and Joe Weatherly competed.

Here's a starting point:
http://www.amaflattr...sc=1108&aid=802

#14 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 14:05

Is there a site that lists both the riders along with their competition No s. I ve just bought a large archive of GP negatives but without race NOs I m a bit stuffed,they cover GPs from the 70s and 80s

#15 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 14 June 2005 - 16:42

I'm afraid you'll find that in the 70's and 80's , riders numbers changed at virtually every race ( apart from the reigning world champion who was entitled to N°1 ) based on the organiser's fancy..( and first of those, their willingness to accept riders or not at "their" race....) It's not until the days of the IRTA , DORNA etc...that teams were guaranteed a permanent entry to all the championship, with a fixed set of numbers for the whole season....

But if you need help to identify riders of those years, please do by all means post all of those pictures on the "Motorcycle Nostalgia" threads, it'll make a good subject of entertainment ;)

#16 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:30

Giood idea.......but there are probably 10,000 plus images.. I will have to find someone with a collection of programmes.

#17 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:12

Well, I can contribute the programmes and starting lists for the 75 Swedish Grand Prix, and also for the 76,79,83,85 and 87 French Grand Prix....that will get you started ! Do e-mail me if you have negatives from those races.

The riders started keeping the same number from the 1991 season onwards. Those numbers appear in the "complete results" grids on Vincent Glon's site , already mentioned above :
http://www.chez.com/...O-GP-ANNEES.htm

But of course you'll only get the points scorers , and it's after the time span of your archives anyway.

#18 Macca

Macca

• 3,725 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:34

I have the British GP programmes from 1982 to 1994, also some Transatlantic Trophy programmes, if I can help please pm me Ted.

I believe all the race numbers for all classes for every GP were printed in the 'Motocourse' annuals, printed from 1977 on - I've sold all mine now, but someone like Pooks or Chaters carries lots of them.

Paul M

#19 gerrit stevens

gerrit stevens

• 248 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 19:40

Originally posted by Agnis
Data about FIM World Championships, FIM SBK and AMA Superbike are as complete as they can be at the moment.

Try the book "American Racer 1940-1980" by Stephen Wright. Lots of photographs.
Just like "American Racer 1900-1939" it is published by Motorbooks International.

Gerrit Stevens

Advertisement

#20 Ted Walker

Ted Walker

• 1,432 posts

Posted 16 June 2005 - 07:31

Thanks Chaps. I will list all the races I have and be in touch,but not until after Goodwood.

#21 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 15:02

Originally posted by Macca
I have the British GP programmes from 1982 to 1994, also some Transatlantic Trophy programmes, if I can help please pm me Ted.

I believe all the race numbers for all classes for every GP were printed in the 'Motocourse' annuals, printed from 1977 on - I've sold all mine now, but someone like Pooks or Chaters carries lots of them.

Paul M

The Motocourse annuals didn’t include rider numbers until 1995. However, I have been putting together entry lists for 500 and 250 GPs (as well as Superbikes) over on my site. I’m doing fairly well for the period 1985 to date, but have yet to post all these lists.
http://www.sportnetw...180/st36833.htm

An example of an incomplete list in progress:
http://www.sportnetw...180/st68182.htm

If those of you who mentioned having programmes would be prepared to help out for the early-mid 1980s, please let me know.

#22 subh

subh

• 1,191 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 19:01

Can anyone help out at all? ....

#23 maczippy

maczippy

• 1,352 posts

Posted 18 August 2005 - 17:48

Wooho!

:clap:

Yes welcome Toby Moody!

Andrew :)

#24 MoMurray

MoMurray

• 738 posts

Posted 19 August 2005 - 00:46

I fear we scared him off :eek:

"Toby Moody not heard from since June 8th. Alien abduction suspected!"

Mo.

#25 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 31 August 2005 - 22:01

Originally posted by MoMurray

I fear we scared him off :eek:

Nah, he's just very busy. To give you an example, he's working in Spain all this week.

He'll be back, I have no doubt (and he's been posting on the 'Shelsley Centenary' thread since early June), but maybe he'll be more prolific once the MotoGP season ends.

My son and I sat in with him and Julian for MotoGP qualifying last Saturday in Brno, during which their commentary booth's [inside] door handle fell off - thanks to an 'engineer' trying to get in to fix it!

Posted Image

#26 bonzo

bonzo

• 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 18:36

Is there a good site or sites for Motorcycle World Championship individual event results. I'm interested in every year, and every class from the beginning in 1949.

Many thanks.

Try this site for GP results : http://racingmemo.fr...GP-CH MONDE.htm

#27 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 19:07

Unfortunately complete results are still not available anywhere (?). The above nice site shows as some books etc. only the points giving positions.

#28 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,846 posts

Posted 24 May 2009 - 20:50

Well, there are some more detailed results ( total finishers, starting grids, entry lists, etc....) in the "GP races" section of the Jack Middelburg site , which aims to collect informations about all GP races from 1973 until today . It's an "always in progress" work, years currently documented are 1973 to 1984 and obviously more details are available in the more recent years, it's not complete yet, some GP's are and some are not, I guess it depends on what type of documentation the webmaster managed to find, but it is already a very interesting source .
http://www.jumpingja...races_Index.htm

There are also some interesting infos along the same lines about the Daytona 200
http://www.jumpingja...ona_entree_.htm

...and yes, I know, it's in Dutch, but that doesn't matter much for results sheets does it ? :rolleyes:

#29 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 26 May 2009 - 09:19

I'm sure I heard in a commentary that either Dorna or the FIM have someone researching the missing results. I'm fairly certain that someone emailed the Eurosport crew and Julian mentioned that they should forward copies of programmes etc on to this person.

#30 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 06:31

I find it fair to mention the official site : http://www.motogp.com/

But allthough with results from 1949 , still not complete. See above post.

#31 Twin Window

Twin Window
  • Nostalgia Host

• 6,611 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 08:10

I'm sure I heard in a commentary that either Dorna or the FIM have someone researching the missing results. I'm fairly certain that someone emailed the Eurosport crew and Julian mentioned that they should forward copies of programmes etc on to this person.

It would seem fairly logical that the person to whom you're referring is Martin Raines; he's the official FIM statistician, as mentioned in Julian's post here.

With any luck Martin will also be joining us here in the not-too-distant future!

:up:

#32 Rob

Rob

• 9,223 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 11:45

It would seem fairly logical that the person to whom you're referring is Martin Raines; he's the official FIM statistician, as mentioned in Julian's post here.

With any luck Martin will also be joining us here in the not-too-distant future!

:up:

Ah yes, the name rings a bell now! Being the official FIM statistician sounds like a fantastic job! Are they looking for an assistant? :D

#33 raisinberry777

raisinberry777

• 43 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:29

A great little book is the MotoGP results guide by Dorna - not as complete as the website, but handy for when you want to shout out that the commentator's wrong!

http://www.pitstop.n...uery/plu/21534/

#34 Bjorn Kjer

Bjorn Kjer

• 3,682 posts

Posted 30 May 2009 - 05:13

I am not complaining , but the facts remain that if you want to know about all "the other" placings from the 50's and 60's you are lost . Nothing on all the privateers , of these , a horde of English speaking riders who often dogfighted for positions just outside the points and kept the 500 and 350's alive (when a certain "Ago" won everything with no oppsition ). A pity really !