Felice Bonetto- Milano

Alfonso de Portago. Arcangues (France).

Advertisement

#552 racingreen

racingreen

• 59 posts

Posted 14 October 2009 - 16:12

Hello everybody......................
One year ago I found a web page ( www.findagrave.com ). It´s a page with thousands of burial records, biographies, photos, etc. of musicians, actors, politicians...........and all kind of people you can imagine. Obviously, I focused my search on drivers. There are a lot of data about Indy drivers, incluiding photos of their gravestones. But, regarding F-1 driver graves, there are only a few full displayed, now I can remember: Fangio, Hawthorn, Senna. Peterson, Rindt. In another cases, the bio is there, but there are no photo of the gravestone (p.e. Clark). In other cases, simply there are not information available: Ascari (both of them), De Portago, Varzi, Collins, Musso, Nuvolari.........................
I wonder if anyone could send to that page photos, biographies of their favorite drivers, it will be cool to improve a site that seems to me very interesting to teach the young people about great drivers and human beings, too. Now, I am trying to write the biography of three wonderful argentinian drivers: The brothers Juan and Oscar Galvez, and the rally driver Jorge Recalde (the work is hard because my elemental english) to send to the page in the future..............

Finally, I suggest everybody to feel free to colaborate with that site............

Thank you. :)

Does anyone know the resting place of :

- Tony Hegbourne
- Geoffrey Taylor
- Joe Kelley
- Geoffrey Crossley
- Gordan Watson
- Anthony Stokes (still alive?)

Thanks.

David Woodhouse
- Oliver Simpson

#553 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 17:52

Visited Ebby's grave today. Headstone inscription reads:

IN GOD'S KEEPING
IN LOVING MEMORY OF
MY DEAR HUSBAND
ALBERT VICTOR
EBBLEWHITE
PASSED AWAY DEC 11TH 1939
AGED 69 YEARS
AND HIS WIFE
EDITH HARRIETT
EBBLEWHITE
PASSED AWAY FEB 24th 1949
AGED 82 YEARS
TILL THE DAY BREAKS
AND THE SHADOWS FLEE AWAY

Did Ebby own a music shop in Aldgate? There are a few references on the internet to an A.V. Ebblewhite that ran such a shop at around this time. There is only one A.V. mentioned in the 1871 and 1901 Census. I would be interested in any info regarding Ebby. He was a real hero of the early British motor sport scene.

Yes, that's him (sorry not have answered earlier!) He was a musical instrument maker and dealer by trade, with premises at 4-5 Aldgate in the City of London: his brief death notice in The Times described him as a Citizen of London, indicating that he had successfully completed an apprenticeship and was a member of his trade guild.

#554 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 16:43

I've just come across the funeral details for Giordano Aldrighetti and Catullo Lami, who both died during the 1939 Coppa Acerbo meeting.

Aldrighetti was buried in the Cimitero Maggiore in Milan, Lami in a family vault in Pisa.

#555 speedman13

speedman13

• 251 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 12:21

New book available from Chaters which should suit the Find a Memorial and Find a Grave enthusiasts.
Over 600 colour photographs covering the memorials and graves of 200 drivers all over Europe from 1890 to date.
Includes the GPS position of every site.
224 page hardback, A4 size.
Published by Transport Bookman Publications at £29.99

Posted Image Posted Image

#556 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,435 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 19:46

Volume 1: UK & Europe

Does this mean US is Volume 2?

#557 Reedy

Reedy

• 12 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 12:22

I looking for photos of the graves of:

Achille Varzi- Galliate.

Felice Bonetto- Milano

Alfonso de Portago. Arcangues (France).

If you are still looking for these they are all in the new book
"Granite & Marble"

#558 speedman13

speedman13

• 251 posts

Posted 06 March 2010 - 11:57

Posted Image

#559 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 22:16

If you are still looking for these they are all in the new book
"Granite & Marble"

Thank you for the information.

Advertisement

#560 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 10:04

http://www.findagrav...p...d=62735232

The grave of Thomas Pitt Cholmondeley Tapper in the churchyard of St.John the Baptist Church, Piddington, Oxfordshire.

Posted Image
Photo: wertypop

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Edited by Paul Rochdale, 23 December 2010 - 10:25.

#561 Aintree61

Aintree61

• 11 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 14:47

Thanks for sorting that out Vitesse. There are in fact two von Trips entries, the second one stating he was buried in the Freidhof an der Clemenskirche, Kerpen-Horrem. Conclusions? The image above is a memorial plaque only, and there is a family cemetery in von Trip's former home Berg Hemmersbach.

Thank you.

I have tried twice to post this in the correct place and failed. The address of the Von Trips Museum is Villa Trips, Burg Hemmersbach, Parkstrasse 20, 50169 Kerpen-Horrem. My wife and I attended the gathering at Graf Trips' burial site in 2001, having visted Monza the previous day to lay flowers where 'Taffy' and the spectators were so tragically killed. On 10 September each year a gathering is held at his burial site where a few of his remaining friends attend. It's also very heartening to see members of Scuderia Colonia, who were born many years after his death, at the same gatherings. Afterwards the people go to the museum, which is a wonderful place. Not only is it dedicated to 'Taffy' and contains a number of his belongings, trophies, etc. but it has a large collection of motor racing books in various languages, a vast number of racing car models, photographs, paintings etc. Scuderia Colonia also have their meeting room there. I think since our last visit the musuem is only open once a week, due to lack of visitors(!). Incidentally, on a different visit, my wife and I were taken into the castle which was empty at the time. When I walked into Taffy's former room, I felt as if I was doing wrong. As a Von Trips fan, I couldn't have asked for anything greater. The last time I saw him was at Aintree in 1961. In conclusion, and going slightly adrift, Mike Hawthorn's grave at Farnham is tended and kept tidy by a former girlfriend of his. It's a great pity Peter Collins' grave is not kept decent, although I haven't visited for a good few years, so things may have changed for the better.

#562 speedman13

speedman13

• 251 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 14:30

I have tried twice to post this in the correct place and failed. The address of the Von Trips Museum is Villa Trips, Burg Hemmersbach, Parkstrasse 20, 50169 Kerpen-Horrem. My wife and I attended the gathering at Graf Trips' burial site in 2001, having visted Monza the previous day to lay flowers where 'Taffy' and the spectators were so tragically killed. On 10 September each year a gathering is held at his burial site where a few of his remaining friends attend. It's also very heartening to see members of Scuderia Colonia, who were born many years after his death, at the same gatherings. Afterwards the people go to the museum, which is a wonderful place. Not only is it dedicated to 'Taffy' and contains a number of his belongings, trophies, etc. but it has a large collection of motor racing books in various languages, a vast number of racing car models, photographs, paintings etc. Scuderia Colonia also have their meeting room there. I think since our last visit the musuem is only open once a week, due to lack of visitors(!). Incidentally, on a different visit, my wife and I were taken into the castle which was empty at the time. When I walked into Taffy's former room, I felt as if I was doing wrong. As a Von Trips fan, I couldn't have asked for anything greater. The last time I saw him was at Aintree in 1961. In conclusion, and going slightly adrift, Mike Hawthorn's grave at Farnham is tended and kept tidy by a former girlfriend of his. It's a great pity Peter Collins' grave is not kept decent, although I haven't visited for a good few years, so things may have changed for the better.

Rest easy, Peter's grave is well kept.

Posted Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#563 Aintree61

Aintree61

• 11 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 19:02

Thank you speedman13 for the picture of Peter's headstone. It's some time since I was there, visited in the ex-Moss '61 250 SWB Ferrari - NOT MINE I hasten to add!!

#564 speedman13

speedman13

• 251 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 21:31

Thank you speedman13 for the picture of Peter's headstone. It's some time since I was there, visited in the ex-Moss '61 250 SWB Ferrari - NOT MINE I hasten to add!!

Is that the one now owned by Clive Beecham.

#565 Aintree61

Aintree61

• 11 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 18:02

Is that the one now owned by Clive Beecham.

Yes, he and I met up at the Severn Valley Railway. Later after he'd gone, I went around a few places mentioned in Chris Nixon's wonderful Mon Ami Mate, including the pub where Pat Collins had based his bus company before selling the business and going into road haulage.

#566 Jim Thurman

Jim Thurman

• 5,435 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 23:58

Posted Image
Forest Lawn Memorial Park, Glendale, California.

#567 sbrinley

sbrinley

• 48 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 17:14

I was recently writing Robert Benoist's memorial page when my wife looked over my shoulder to read what I was writing. "Hang on" she said "you might be interested in this". She showed me a copy of a novel called 'Early One Morning' by Robert Ryan (ISBN 0-7472-6873-8). As a rule I don't read novels, they simply don't interest me but reading the cover I saw that it was about the exploits of William Grover-Williams, Robert Benoist and Jean-Pierre Wimille. All were recruited into the SOE at the start of the War and flown into France to organise sabatage units amongst the Resistance. All were successful racing drivers before the War and Grover-Williams became the chauffeur to famous artist Sir William Orpin. Grover-Williams fell in love with Orpin's mistress Eve Aubicq and they went to live in Normandy to breed dogs until the start of the War.

OK, it's a novel and the author agrees that part of the story is fiction but based on fact.

Wimille survived the War to continue racing; Grover-Williams and Benoist were eventually betrayed and captured, Benoist being killed at Buchenwald but Grover-Williams almost certainly didn't die in Sachsenhausen as has been widely reported but as a member of MI6 continued to live under another name and return later to live with Eve. More of the facts can be found by doing a search on this website (OK, the link failed). A truly fantastic book which kept me up until 2am a few times.

I saw a memorial to Benoist in the Pantheon in Paris in 1969. It was quite unexpected, as I had not visited the place looking for anyone in particular. I remembered him from reading about pre-war racing and, as I recall, in Hans Tanners' book on great and interesting drivers of the pre-war years. But it was from reading the memorial that I learned that he had been in the Resistance.

#568 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 23:19

This is the grave of South African driver Roy Hesketh, who was killed in an air crash in Egypt in 1944. He was one of two pilots of a Marauder which crashed in the Great Bitter Lake after a mid-air collision. Hesketh is buried in Fayid Military Cemetery.

Posted Image

Picture kindly supplied by Ralph McLean of the South Africa War Graves Project and used with permission.

Edited by Vitesse2, 13 March 2011 - 23:50.

#569 pkenny

pkenny

• 198 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 21:37

Paul,

Re last resting place of Reg Armstrong. I only got to go to Enniskerry last Monday - sorry for the very long delay. I uploaded the photos to

http://www.findagrav...p;GRid=22818620

Pat

Edited by pkenny, 04 May 2011 - 21:39.

#570 Alan104

Alan104

• 7 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 21:46

Hi
I know the last resting place of Graham Hill has been on here before but as I was in St Albans this week I thought you might like a update on the present state of his burial place
Taken May 4 2011
Posted Image

Photo 2
Posted Image

please do drop me a line if anyone wants a HQ copy of the photographs

Alan

#571 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,208 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 22:06

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh dear. Something needs to be done.

#572 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 22:23

Indeed. ):

#573 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,484 posts

Posted 07 May 2011 - 22:25

Indeed. ):

Agreed, I'd have thought that one like Graham would have an eternal flame.... or at least a clean stone.

#574 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,249 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:28

Rather odd that the supporting bricks appear to have been removed & the top of the tombstone is now disproportionately further away from the top of the wall. Is this because they have sunk?

Edited by Giraffe, 08 May 2011 - 09:29.

#575 Odseybod

Odseybod

• 1,446 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:42

Somewhat surprised his family is not aware of the state it's in - or perhaps they are now (never know who's lurking on TNF :) )

#576 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,249 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:05

Somewhat surprised his family is not aware of the state it's in - or perhaps they are now (never know who's lurking on TNF :) )

IIRC Graham's grave is now in someone's back garden so access is surely an issue? Alan104?

#577 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,208 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:18

The people who have turned the old St Botolph's Church into their home seem very keen on preserving the history of all those buried there, and have a website with details of every grave:

http://www.st-botolphs.com/

I feel sure they would be amenable to any plans to refurbish Graham's grave.

#578 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:30

I think that whilst concern has been expressed here about the condition of the headstone, it remains both the property of and the business of the Hill family. I think there is something rather nice about a headstone gracefully aging and with a piece of ivy growing up it. As long as it's not damaged or defaced, I personally think it should be left well alone.

#579 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,249 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 10:36

I think that whilst concern has been expressed here about the condition of the headstone, it remains both the property of and the business of the Hill family. I think there is something rather nice about a headstone gracefully aging and with a piece of ivy growing up it. As long as it's not damaged or defaced, I personally think it should be left well alone.

Valid point, but I can't imagine that being allowed to happen to his team mate Jimmy's grave.

Advertisement

#580 Lawton

Lawton

• 4 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:28

An interesting addition to the story of the burial of Woolf Barnato in Englefield Green was told to me by Diana Barnato Walker . Woolf Barnato was Jewish and his family mausoleum is in Willesden Green Cemetery , and he should have been buried there but somehow a mistake was made and he was interred in the wrong place , and by the time the mistake was realised it is against Jewish Law to re-inter a body (?)

Edited by Lawton, 08 May 2011 - 11:31.

#581 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 11:40

Paul, I agree with you up to a point, especially on the "ownership" of the grave but going towards the other extreme can have its merits, as demonstrated by the CWGC's rolling maintenance programme. You can always spot a CWGC grave as it's generally the best maintained in any given churchyard. They're seldom if ever pristine, but they do stand out.

I don't think it needs drastic work, just some gentle tidying, maybe some plants or bulbs if the landowners have no objection and some way of making the inscription stand out better without destroying the patina. Removing the bird-sh*t would help too.

I know there are people here who are in contact with the Hill family: perhaps opinions and/or permissions could be sought?

On a different subject - when I obtained that picture of Roy Hesketh's last resting place, Ralph Maclean indicated he had no objection to it being reproduced on Find-A-Grave. Feel free to use it - with suitable credit of course.

#582 Alan104

Alan104

• 7 posts

Posted 08 May 2011 - 12:25

Rather odd that the supporting bricks appear to have been removed & the top of the tombstone is now disproportionately further away from the top of the wall. Is this because they have sunk?

Yes it does look sunken but the supporting bricks are still in place

IIRC Graham's grave is now in someone's back garden so access is surely an issue? Alan104?

Yes the grave is in someones front garden, in fact the whole front garden and the graves in it are some what overgrown and without being rude to the home owners ( as they can refuse you entry to the garden) a little unkempt. so any attempt to tidy up Grahams area would make it very much stand out from the rest of the garden area

Having said all that it is a grave a real national sporting importance and if left to decay may be lost to future generations

#583 Gary C

Gary C

• 5,108 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:07

This morning I took a short drive to St.Mary's Church in Byfleet in Surrey. After about 25 minute sof looking around I found what I was looking, the final resting place of John Parry Thomas.
Here's a couple of photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#584 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:22

This morning I took a short drive to St.Mary's Church in Byfleet in Surrey. After about 25 minute sof looking around I found what I was looking, the final resting place of John Parry Thomas.
Here's a couple of photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Cleaner than when I last saw it, but I see the photgraph that was once attached has gone!

#585 jimjimjeroo

jimjimjeroo

• 2,117 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:34

Details and photographs from Dan Wheldons funeral

http://www.dailymail...rs-funeral.html

#586 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 17:55

This is the grave of South African driver Roy Hesketh, who was killed in an air crash in Egypt in 1944. He was one of two pilots of a Marauder which crashed in the Great Bitter Lake after a mid-air collision. Hesketh is buried in Fayid Military Cemetery.

Posted Image

Picture kindly supplied by Ralph McLean of the South Africa War Graves Project and used with permission.

Very interesting. Not sure if the motto is 100% correct, though. Must read UNITY IS STRENGTH or like we were tought in Latin, EX UNITATE VIRES.

#587 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 18:33

Another of your countrymen who died in a warplane, Marius:

http://www.ww2talk.c...e-cemetery.html

#588 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,845 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 20:29

the final resting place of John Parry Thomas.

Am I the only one who reads "1885" on the tombstone?

#589 Vitesse2

Vitesse2
  • Administrator

• 34,536 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:00

Am I the only one who reads "1885" on the tombstone?

No. Problem? That's the date given in Hugh Tours' biography.

#590 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,845 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:22

At least on the WWW the majority goes for 1884.
Even the family website says so despite showing the grave!
Very strange.

#591 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 15:48

Another of your countrymen who died in a warplane, Marius:

http://www.ww2talk.c...e-cemetery.html

Norman Wilson raced ERA R4A in the Grosvenor, Rand and South African Grands Prix prior to WW2. Thank you kindly for this detail.

#592 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 16:24

... and of course in Europe as well :)

#593 speedman13

speedman13

• 251 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 11:09

THE SEARCH FOR FELICE NAZZARO'S GRAVE

In the summer of 2008 while preparing the book Granite & Marble I visited Turin to photograph the graves of Pietro Bordini, Alessandro Cagno, Nino Farina and Felice Nazzaro in the Cimitero Monumentale. It is a huge cemetery with over a million tombs so I had to visit the office to obtain the tomb locations and a map of the site. I proceeded to take the photographs then carried on to my next destination.
Some months later while checking the photos I realised the dates on Nazzaro's tomb did not tie up with the dates I had, and realised it was not the correct Nazzaro.
I then contacted the cemetery office by e-mail but they said they had no record of Nazzaro's grave in that cemetery. Nazzaro was born in Turin, lived in Turin and died in Turin so it was a fair bet he was buried somewhere in the Turin area.
Some time later I was again in Italy so visited the city hall in Turin where all records are kept for the area, again I was told they had no record of a grave for Nazzaro.
I then visited the offices of La Stampa the main Turin newspaper and managed to get into the archive section where micro film records of all their newspapers are kept.
I eventually found a report of his funeral service held in Turin cathedral, it said after the service he was interred in his wifes family grave in Montiglio (his wife had been killed in a road accident a few years before). Montiglio is a small village about 30 km from Turin so I drove there and went to the local cemetery but again found no trace of a Nazzaro tomb. I then went to the local community office but the gentleman there said all cemetery records had been destroyed during the war by the partisans. Luckily another man in the office overheard the conversation and said when he was a small boy he remembered the grave as FIAT used to place a wreath on the grave every year on the anniversary of his death and he knew where the grave was. We all returned to the cemetery but when we got to the place the grave was supposed to be it was for a completely different family. The official said that the rent must not have been paid when it was up for renewal after 25 years and the plot would have been sold and the remains probably put in a communal grave. I then thought that was the end of my search, but some time later a TNFer appeared on this site claiming to be Nazzaro's great nephew, I contacted him but he had no idea where the grave was but he put me in touch with his uncle Gianni Petrazzini who he said was Nazzaro's grandson and who lived in Turin. I immediately contacted him and he told me he knew where the grave was, so I returned to Turin and met him at the Monumentale where he showed me the tomb and told me the story of how it came to be there. When Nazzaro's wifes family did not renew the lease on the grave in Montiglio his daughter Gilda Petrazzini had her father and mother reinterred in a new plot in Turin. The plot was listed in the name of Petrazzini so never appeared on a search for Nazzaro.
This is the story of my search for just 1 grave of the many in the book and there are similar stories for several of the others.

#594 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,249 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 16:07

Jim Clark's grave at Chirnside Parish Church.

Posted Image

The inscription reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF JIM CLARK OBE
BORN 4.3.1936
DIED 7.4. 1968

FARMER
EDINGTON MAINS CHIRNSIDE
AND OF PEMBROKE BERMUDA
WORLD CHAMPION MOTOR RACING DRIVER 1963 AND 1965
WINNER OF 25 GRAND PRIX RACES
INDIANAPOLIS ‘500’ WINNER 1965
FIRST FREEMAN OF BURGH OF DUNS

My boyhood hero.

Just for the record, Maurice Bruton travelled to Chirnside shortly after Jim was buried, and this is how the grave was marked at that time.....

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#595 eldougo

eldougo

• 8,138 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:45

What ? would that be in the plastic case,is it a medal of some sort ??
I just love the wooden head stone.

Edited by eldougo, 10 November 2012 - 09:47.

#596 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 11,222 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 09:45

You will note that most photos of Clark's headstone are taken from this direction, obviously, to show the inscription.
Those evocotive photos of the church & rolling coutryside are taken looking left from the headstone.
If you look right, over the stone wall to the right of the picture, you are looking directly into back gardens, kitchens & living rooms.
A slightly disconcerting contrast.

#597 LittleChris

LittleChris

• 2,526 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 21:36

What ? would that be in the plastic case,is it a medal of some sort ??

I wonder if it's his OBE Doug ?

#598 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 22:47

Very interesting....

http://www.racersatrest.com/

#599 Greatest

Greatest

• 160 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 10:28

10270295_10152580845253866_924606710838010342012_10152580846373866_16940388664041937438_10152580847878866_39336910239648

Cimitero Monumentale di Milano, Italia, 2 days ago. My visit to pay my respect to the two great Ascaris... :up:  

Advertisement

#600 275 GTB-4

275 GTB-4

• 8,274 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 11:13

Jim Clark's grave at Chirnside Parish Church.

JimClarkgrave.jpg

The inscription reads:

IN LOVING MEMORY OF JIM CLARK OBE
BORN 4.3.1936
DIED 7.4. 1968

FARMER
EDINGTON MAINS CHIRNSIDE
AND OF PEMBROKE BERMUDA
WORLD CHAMPION MOTOR RACING DRIVER 1963 AND 1965
WINNER OF 25 GRAND PRIX RACES
INDIANAPOLIS ‘500’ WINNER 1965
FIRST FREEMAN OF BURGH OF DUNS