Yes, it is the town where he was a mayor for many years

Advertisement

#52 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,508 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 13:04

Originally posted by Racefellow
Yes, it is the town where he was a mayor for many years

And produced some superb wine, I don't know who he left behind to run the vineyard, but he was always happy to show people around, and it was amazing how few of the locals knew his history, a very modest man, and bloody funny!

#53 SEdward

SEdward

• 840 posts

Posted 25 November 2005 - 15:51

Ah yes: modesty. I remember that...

Edward

#54 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 26 November 2005 - 19:52

The Fangio family tomb at the Ciudad de Balcarce Cemetery, Balcarce, Argentina:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Pictures from my brother, 2003.

#55 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 20:46

Posted Image Posted Image

Hans Stuck (father of Hans-Joachim) who drove for Auto-Union is buried in Grainau/Bavaria

#56 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 14:48

Posted Image

Thanks for this thread, I think I will pay my respects to Graham Hill and Jim Clark.

#57 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,508 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 14:54

How old is the picture of Graham's, last time I saw it it was a disgrace, more or less under a hedge

#58 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 21:24

Originally posted by f1steveuk
How old is the picture of Graham's, last time I saw it it was a disgrace, more or less under a hedge

This is exactly why we need to keep this topic in front of racing fans.

Just imagine what the condition must be of the lesser known, but perhaps just as talented, drivers that for whatever reason did not make it to the top.

Henry

#59 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,508 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 21:28

If I could post a picture, I'm not certain I would, it really is a disgrace.

Advertisement

#60 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,924 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 21:43

I have seen the picture that Steve is referring to and if it's current, then it's a bluddy outrage that the family should let his grave look so bad.

#61 indysteve

indysteve

• 229 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 23:44

Originally posted by Arthur Anderson
I believe 1920 Indianapolis 500 winner Gaston Chevrolet is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery in Indianapolis.

1937, 39-40 Indianapolis 500 Winner Wilbur Shaw is buried in Crown Hill Cemetery.

Gaston Chevrolet (along with brothers Louis and Arthur, though Arthur's grave has no marker) is buried in Holy Cross Cemetery in Indianapolis.

Find A Grave - Gaston Chevrolet

Wilbur Shaw is buried in Vernon Cemetery in Vernon, Indiana.

Find A Grave - Wilbur Shaw

There are quite a few drivers and riding mechanics buried in Crown Hill Cemetery, as you can see from the list linked below. Included are Indianapolis 500 winners Floyd Davis, Louis Schneider, and Howdy Wilcox. Also, all four founders of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway are buried there.

Find A Grave -Crown Hill Cemetery

#62 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 04:49

Originally posted by f1steveuk

I took it from the Church archive. The Church where he is buried is now privately owned.

If I get there in the new year with permission of the new owners, I'll take some garden shears and cut the hedge back and clean the headstone on behalf of those who care.

Although I was 10 months old when he died the Graham Hill story has ment alot to me that a lowly mechanic can become the Formula 1 world champion on his own merit and hard work. If only that were possible now.
It seems that racing is the sporting domain of the wealthy or if you are blessed with dedicated parent that will sacrifice alot to give you a shot.

#63 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,508 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 15:06

Then I'll thank you in advance. I don't blame the family as such, I visit my parents grave sometimes when I'm in the UK, and it isn't always a nice experience, and I believe Graham's grave is some distance from where various members live. Having said that, John Godfrey Parry Thomas, died 1927, and his grave in Weybridge is immaculate, and tended regularly. By who? no one knows.

#64 Flash

Flash

• 1,168 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 20:56

Jean Behra:

http://www.lescimeti... bart/berha.htm

#65 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 21:26

Perhaps there should be a memorial or museum set up for this. Rembering the famous and not so famous drivers who perished while pursuing the dream.

If not then perhaps this thread will remember our fallen heros and perhaps a webpage could be dedicated to the fallen on Atlas. Giving details of how they raced, competed, how they passed on and where they are located today. I think it would be fitting tribute in a small way.

Graham Hill died in a plane crash however he was still involved in F1 and so counts IMHO and I would also count Richard Burns in that.

What do you guys think of this idea?

#66 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 21:34

Jean Behra:

http://www.lescimeti... bart/berha.htm

I think the link is wrong
Paul

#67 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,508 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 21:41

Originally posted by NineOneSeven
Perhaps there should be a memorial or museum set up for this. Rembering the famous and not so famous drivers who perished while pursuing the dream.

If not then perhaps this thread will remember our fallen heros and perhaps a webpage could be dedicated to the fallen on Atlas. Giving details of how they raced, competed, how they passed on and where they are located today. I think it would be fitting tribute in a small way.

Graham Hill died in a plane crash however he was still involved in F1 and so counts IMHO and I would also count Richard Burns in that.

I think your spot on with that idea, big project, but if set up, we could add what we know. Who can set it up??

Paul, the link worked for me!

#68 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 02 December 2005 - 22:15

The long term plans for our group is do do exactly what you describe. We must first address the local racing history (that is well underway), and then move on to regional, national and then international racing history. The public land is ours for the asking (we currently have 15,000 square feet do do with as we please). Our "public" property is smack in the middle of a 300 acre former race circuit being developed into a public park.

Having said that, it is going to take money and it is going to take involvement on the regional, national and international level. That has not yet happened and it may never happen.

Certainly not being critical but when the "rubber has to meet the road" it becomes difficult for some individuals with their time and their resources.

This is the best we have at the moment: http://www.motorspor...index.php?db=ct

If we want a physical being, then lets just do it!

Henry

#69 NineOneSeven

NineOneSeven

• 283 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 07:52

HistoricMustang: Wow I have to say that your website is fantastic. It serves as a memorial to those that perished doing what we all love, racing.

Would it be possible to have a link to your site from Atlas so it gets the recognition that it deserves? I think some good work has gone into that site. It would be great if an entity like Atlas F1 could take it on as it would be a fitting tribute to those guys. Also with extra resource you could add a small bio and final resting place.

When I get back to London I'll put in a request. I am actually overseas at the moment and don't get alot of 'net' time.

#70 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 05 December 2005 - 10:24

HistoricMustang: Wow I have to say that your website is fantastic. It serves as a memorial to those that perished doing what we all love, racing.

Would it be possible to have a link to your site from Atlas so it gets the recognition that it deserves? I think some good work has gone into that site. It would be great if an entity like Atlas F1 could take it on as it would be a fitting tribute to those guys. Also with extra resource you could add a small bio and final resting place.

When I get back to London I'll put in a request. I am actually overseas at the moment and don't get alot of 'net' time.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

A lot of individuals doing a lot of volunteer work continue to move this project forward and we would certainly welcome a direct connection to Atlas. The group here at TNF have been VERY supportive here on the board and behind the scenes.

We are very excited about the "Dave MacDonald Memorial Flag Pole" project described in a separate thread here at TNF.

In future years at the Augusta International Raceway (being developed into the 300 acre Diamond Lakes Regional Park) we look forward to helping the local officials continue a motorsports heritage as the golf course, soccer fields, tennis courts, camping complex, soap box derby track and other activities are developed. And of course the ultimate repaving of the former 3 mile circuit that will be used for walking and biking and professional bicycle racing. In addition to our 15,000 square foot area these future sporting activities will all be identified by drivers that competed here in Augusta and just as important those drivers that did not necessarily make the pilgrimage to this special place. The drivers mentioned in this thread will one day all be recognized in a physical manner here in Augusta.

Our ultimate goal is to use the former garage area at the circuit (the foundation is still in place) as the basis for a museum.

I encourage all to continue to post driver burial locations as they need to be documented and there is no better place that here at Atlas.

Thanks to all!
Henry

#71 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 21:34

I have three years colaborating with Find a Grave web page, adding many Argentine personalities.

Here are some burial places of the finest Argentine drivers:

Rubén Luis Di Palma:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6964321

Juan Manuel Bordeu:

http://www.findagrav...Rid=7986100&pt=Juan%20Bordeu

Juan Gálvez:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6797078

Oscar Alfredo Gálvez:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6797069

Domingo Marimón:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6907054

Onofre Marimón:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6985095

Eduardo Copello:

http://www.findagrav...Rid=7002610&pt=Eduardo%20Copello

Raúl Riganti:

http://www.findagrav...

Oscar Cabalén:

http://www.findagrav...gr&GRid=6964358

Carlos Menditeguy:

http://www.findagrav...Rid=7183139&pt=Carlos%20Menditeguy

#72 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 15:02

Posted Image

Donald Campbell's grave in Coniston.

#73 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,924 posts

Posted 01 January 2006 - 16:49

very nice, Paul :up:

#74 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 00:05

I have been aware of the Find-a-Grave website and have been disappointed with just how few of our fallen heroes are listed. As I'm particularly interested in racing motorcyclists, I have added the following in the last few days - Bill Ivy, Mike Hailwood, Gary Hocking and Joey Dunlop. I've also added an image of the newer Donald Campbell headstone and corrected the location of the grave as there are two in Coniston.

It's difficult to discover where drivers and riders are buried, and probably seen by some as a touch morbid. But I think if it is dealt with sensitively, no harm is done.

Incidentally I am trying at present to locate the graves of Helmut Fath (d.29 June 1993) who lived in the hamlet of Ursenbach, in the Odenwald, Germany; and Swizz sidecar ace Fritz Scheidegger (d.26.3.1967 at Mallory Park). If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful. Thank you.

#75 Muzza

Muzza

• 800 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 03:50

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale
I have been aware of the Find-a-Grave website and have been disappointed with just how few of our fallen heroes are listed. As I'm particularly interested in racing motorcyclists, I have added the following in the last few days - Bill Ivy, Mike Hailwood, Gary Hocking and Joey Dunlop. I've also added an image of the newer Donald Campbell headstone and corrected the location of the grave as there are two in Coniston.

It's difficult to discover where drivers and riders are buried, and probably seen by some as a touch morbid. But I think if it is dealt with sensitively, no harm is done.

Incidentally I am trying at present to locate the graves of Helmut Fath (d.29 June 1993) who lived in the hamlet of Ursenbach, in the Odenwald, Germany; and Swizz sidecar ace Fritz Scheidegger (d.26.3.1967 at Mallory Park). If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful. Thank you.

Dear Paul,

Your message made me realize something that I had never noticed before... I worked for some four and a half years in Switzerland and one of our secretaries was a certain Mlle. Scheidegger. I did not have much contact with her as she worked for another department, but I vividly recall that her office was decorated with motorcycle pictures. This was in the mid 1990s, and I wonder if she is the daughter of Fritz Scheidegger, or whether this lady is somewhat related to the man... I will see what I can find about this.

Amazingly enough, I had never made the connection between the two until I read your posting above, as I said...

Kind regards,

Muzza

#76 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:03

I've done a few more searches on Find-a-Grave as well as elsewhere on the net and it's quite surprising that I cannot find the locations of the graves of Rudolph Caracciola, Manfred von Brauchitsch, Helmut Fath and Fritz Scheidegger, once heroes and andored by the fans but now seemingly forgotten. Caracciola died in Kassell. A search of the German White Pages show a number of the Fath family living in nearby Schriesheim so it may be worthwhile dropping them a line. But the first two were big, big names in the world of motor racing. Nothing.

#77 Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC

• 101 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 09:10

- Rudolf Caracciola (1901-1959)
Cemetery of small village of Castagnola near Lugano
Canton of Ticino, Switzerland.
http://www.mementoei...nto=669&lang=it

#78 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 18:18

Very many thanks, Momento-Eis is a new website to me and I see there are quite a number of racing drivers there such as Varzi, Villoresi and Ferrari.

#79 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 19:08

- Manfred von Brauchitsch (1905 - 2003)

Cemetery of Grafenwarth near Schleiz/Thuringen

Advertisement

#80 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 20:16

Bob Wollek in the Cemetery of Klingenthal near Strasbourg

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#81 James L. Kalie

James L. Kalie

• 51 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 23:21

Does anyone know of the final resting place of Giuseppe Campari or Baconin Borzacchini?

#82 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 22:30

Both were killed in the same crash during the Italian GP at Monza on September 10 1933. Baconino Borzacchini was buried in his local cemetery in Terni, Umbria, Italy. Guiseppe Campari was born in Lodi, SW of Milan, which might be a good place to start your search.

Does anyone have any ideas in Swiss sidecar racers Fritz Scheidegger and Florian Camathias, or German sidecar ace Helmet Fath? Thanks.

#83 Bernard

Bernard

• 240 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 12:44

And Camathias's onetime passenger Roland Foll please

#84 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 21:03

I heard from Noel Camathias, Florian's nephew, who also rides/drives sidecars, that his uncle's grave is at Montreux, Switzerland; it's exact location I've yet to find out.

In the last couple of weeks, I've tried to redress the balance so to speak of the lack of F1 drivers and motorcycle racers to be found in Find-a-Grave (www.findagrave.com), and have researched and added the following (If I could manage links, I would have ;-)

Tony Brise, Tom Pryce, Rudolph Caracciola, Hermann Lang, Achille Varzi, Joey Dunlop, Mike Hailwood, Gary Hocking, Bill Ivy.

At last, I think, there is a concise record of some of our heroes resting places, and I'm so glad that this message board has been able to provide so much useful information. There's still a long way to go...

#85 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 19:29

Originally posted by KJJ
There's a photo of this plaque in the new third edition of "All Arms and Elbows", anyone know where it is?

Posted Image

I've now located this memorial, it's on a remote peninsula in Wester Ross overlooking the sea, far from the road and a good five mile yomp across difficult country. Here's the stone looking back inland:

Posted Image

And the view out to the ocean:

Posted Image

The plaque has been weathered by the Atlantic storms of course:

Posted Image

All in all a proper place to remember Innes and his son.

#86 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,924 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 23:03

does anyone know what happened to Innes' son for him to pass on so early?

#87 Carlos Jalife

Carlos Jalife

• 322 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 01:20

Pedro and Ricardo Rodriguez, along with their mother and father and another brother who died in early infancy are buried as Luc (Pedro 917) pointed out in the Spanish Cementery (Panteón Español) in Tacuba, Mexico City.
The subway blue line (line 2) has its station Panteones (a very graphic toombstone with a cross -we are catholics mostly here) is the logo of the station and as you leave the station the entrance is right outside next to the flower stands.
The exact location is Cuartel (Zone ) J-5 bis and the tomb, white marble with an angel holding a flower and gold letters witht their names, is about 7 tombs from the outer wall.

And Moises Solana, our other dead F1 driver, is buried about 200 meters from there in the same cementery, in the M-30 Cuartel I think, in the family Solana-Arciniega tomb which has several levels.

Jochen Rindt is buried in the Graz; Austria, cementery, a black slab with golden letters I seem to remember. Anyone will tell you where, I don't speak German and I got there quite easily.

Alberto Ascari is in the central cementery in Milano, and Lorenzo Bandini is also there I think, but I couldn't get to his tomb since they were closing.

Felice Bonetto was buried someplace in Italy but his heart, only, is in a tomb in Mexico City at the Panteón de Dolores in Constituyentes Avenue, bordering the big Chapultepec park, and you have to ask at the administration so they can point you in the right direction, I always get lost since it is huge.

And Jim Clark I know it is in a little town near the border with England, Kilmany I think. I can't remember a lot since it was dark and I didn't drive much becasue all my friends were afraid I would crash since they do it in the wrong side of the road (or viceversa). But it was a nice, simple but elegant one.

#88 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 16:07

Jim Clark's grave is in Chirnside Parish Churchyard, on the B6355, in the Borders region of Scotland.

#89 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,182 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 18:44

Reference Innes Ireland's son. He committed suicide around 1992. It ws tragic. I was at Donington for the HSCC meeting and was with Bruce Halford who told me Innes was coming to the meeting so we decided we would have a good laugh at lunchtime. Then Bruce told me he had had a call from Innes to say that his son had committed suicide that morning. Later Innes told me about it and it really shattered him.

#90 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 19:29

David Jefferies, holder of the absolute lap record for the Isle of Man (Suzuki) at 127.29mph in 2002. Killed on 2nd lap of practice at Crosby 29 May 2002, on spilled oil left by a previous rider. Buried in Charlestown Cemetery, Baildon, near Bradford, West Yorks.

Posted Image

#91 Graham Gauld

Graham Gauld

• 1,182 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 19:59

Further to my earlier message I wished to check out the details with my colleague Hugh McCaig.

Hugh and Innes were great friends and when Jamie died Innes asked Hugh to help him spread Jamies ashes in the highlands where he had enjoyed himself. This was done and then just over a year later Hugh, this time with Jean Ireland, Innes' widow, travelled back there with Innes' ashes and they too were spread there. Jean then had a small cairn and the plaque produced and placed on the spot.

GG

#92 Gary C

Gary C

• 4,924 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 20:17

Very nice, too. Very classy.

#93 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,813 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:09

Last Sunday I was driving through the south Loire Valley and seeing I was going to pass not too far from the little village of Vaudelnay I decided to try my luck at finding François Cevert's grave . When I came to the graveyard, the place was deserted except from an old man seemingly meaninglessly wandering among the graves, despite the bitterly cold weather. I missed François' grave first time round, I actually spotted first the grave of his father, which read " Charles Goldenberg 1901-1985" . I then looked for a gravestone of a similar kind, and found it a few meters away. François' name is rather discreetly written on the side, alongside other names of his family . I only later notice the sculpture of François' face , fixed on the graveyard wall above the gravestone…

I paid my respects and then proceeded to take a few pictures . And then I realised the old man was standing close to me . " Ah, mister, you should have told me what you were looking for . You see, I was the caretaker for this place for over twenty years, and I've been retired for twenty more years now, but I was still in charge when he was buried…..ah, mister, you should have seen this place that day…..all over there , and all over there, more flowers than I've seen in my all life…." . "Well, I was 16 years old when François died, I told the old man, and he was my youth hero . Did you know him ? " . " But of course, I'd known him since he was a little kid, that tall, he was spending all his holydays at his grandparents which were the closest neighbours to my parents…." "And this is his father's grave over there , am I correct ? " "Yes, and his mother's too. Her name hasn't been engraved yet . And the empty space besides, it's been reserved for François' sister and his brother in law…..what's his name, there…he was a racing driver too .." " Jean-Pierre Beltoise ? " I said . " Yes, that's the name….he bought the space to be buried here". We spoke a little more and then I thanked the old man and said goodbye, and he told me " I just knew what you were coming for when I saw you . When I see someome who's not from the village, I know what they come for …" "Does that happen often ?". " Oh yes, it happens, at least a couple of times every week….."

Below a few pictures of François' grave.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PS: for the benefit of future readers that might use "search BB" with François' name I will put a link to this post in the "François Cevert's grave" and " Time to remember François Cevert" threads . Unfortunately this will necessarily bump both of those threads, my apologies for this.

#94 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 09:44

A very touching story Philippe, thank you.

#95 Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC

• 101 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 17:40

Thanks Philippe7 :up:

#96 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 22:00

Thank you for the data. Please, if someone could post the photos of the graves at www.findagrave.com, it will help us a lot...............

I am searching the burial places of:

Colin Chapman.
Peter Collins.
Stuart Lewis-Evans.
Archie Scott Brown.

If someone could help me, it will be wonderful.

#97 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 10:28

Peter Collins is buried in St.Mary's Church, Stone, near Kidderminster.

I am also looking for graves for -

John Hartle
Barry Sheene (the actual name of the cemetery or crematorium in Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia).
Dickie Dale

#98 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,277 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 15:51

I have been steadily adding more and more names to my Virtual Cemetery on the Find-a-Grave website. This of course involves discovering the location of a grave, locating good pictures of the driver/grave, and researching a short biography of the driver's life.

I am indebted to Marcelo Alavarez from Argentina who allowed me to dip into his own Virtual Cemetery and 'borrow' quite a few entries.

Our lists differ in that I am only including F1 and international sportscar drivers as my knowledge of the many American drivers is minimal.

Entries in the last few days have been Alan Stacey, Didier Pironi, Hans Stuck Snr, Stuart Lewis-Evans, Peter Collins, Roland Ratzenbereger and Piers Courage - and there's still a long way to go. I am indebted to the contributors of this message board who have provided information which has allowed me to make a start on this satisfying task.

Graves I'm currently seeking are for Chris Bristow, Richie Ginther, Bruce McLaren, Bob Andersen, Rolf Stommelen and Jo Schlesser.

I hope this link works!

http://www.findagrav...csr&GSvcid=4821

#99 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 17:19

I have checked the following informations and they were confirmed, photographs will be added as soon as possible:

Bruce McLaren Waikumete Cemetery in Glen Eden, Auckland / New Zealand

Jo Schlesser Cimetière de Malzéville near Nancy / France

Rolf Stommelen Melatenfriedhof, Cologne / Germany

Advertisement

#100 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 20:51

Someone of the forum lives near Arcangues, France??????. or some friend or relative?????. I am trying to confirm that Alfonso de Portago is buried at Arcangues cemetery. If someone could take some photos, it will be perfect.........