Photo

Driver burial locations

• Please log in to reply
605 replies to this topic

#101 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:01

Got the same information from a reliable source that Alfonso De Portago is buried in the Panteon in the Cemetary of Arcangues near Biarritz

Advertisement

#102 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 13:56

Thank you Peter, Jo Schlesser, Rolf Stommelen and Bruce McLaren added to the site today.

#103 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 20:37

Originally posted by Racefellow
Got the same information from a reliable source that Alfonso De Portago is buried in the Panteon in the Cemetary of Arcangues near Biarritz

Yes, I got the information from the Administration of the Cementerio Sacramental de San Isidro, Madrid, where de Portago was buried until October 1968. You can see the new memorial here:

http://www.findagrav...&GRid=13360788

#104 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 18:00

My current list for those must-find graves - and many thanks for people's help - is -

Chris Bristow, Richie Ginther, Bob Anderson, Ricardo Paletti, Raymond Sommer, Guy Mairesse, Eugenio Castellotti, Ivor Bueb, Hary Schell, Lorenzo Bandini, Ludovico Scarfiotti, Ignatio Guinti, Silvio Moser, Helmut Koinigg, Manfred Winkelhock, Stefan Bellof, Elio de Angelis, Mike Parkes, Giancarlo Baghetti, Edgar Barth.

This is still just the tip of the iceberg. It's chilling to read so many familiar names who are now no longer with us.

#105 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:02

Raymond Sommer was killed at Cadours, not far from my home, I have been told there is a memorial, but as yet I haven't had chance to go see, any good??

#106 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,015 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:43

There's a nice photo of it in Roger Clark's Cadours thread:

http://forums.autosp...&threadid=79283

#107 f1steveuk

f1steveuk

• 3,539 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 11:50

Cheers, I certainly have no excuse now!!

#108 ReWind

ReWind

• 2,834 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 15:49

8w article on Sommer's fatal crash (although with a bad pun that the author better had done without - IMHO).

#109 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 18 February 2006 - 19:58

I must say that Paul is doing a terrific job at Find a Grave.....

As far I know, Eugenio Castellotti was buried at the Cimetero di Lodi, his hometown............

#110 Racefellow

Racefellow

• 20 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 05:55

A few more informations and some work in front of us to get a few photographs:

Baghetti Giancarlo Cimetero Monumental, Milano
Bandini Lorenzo Cimetero Lambrate, Milano
Brambilla Vittorio Cimetero di Monza
Castellotti Eugenio Cimetero Maggiore, Lodi
De Angelis Elio Cimetero Verona, Roma
Lombardi Lella Cimitero Frugarolo, Alessandria
Musso Luigi Cimitero Monumentale del Verano, Roma
Paletti Riccardo Cimetero Maggiore, Milano

Ignazio Giunti must also be in the Rome area and Ludovico Scarfiotti near Ancona

#111 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 19 February 2006 - 10:29

Crikey. Thanks VERY MUCH for that helpful information. My wifes going to kill me for spending so much time at the computer :eek:

#112 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:52

Further entries in Find-a-Grave for Giancarlo Baghetti, Lorenzo Bandini, Eugenio Castellotti, Elio de Angelis, Lella Lombardi, and Ricard Paletti. New biography and gravesite left for Luigi Musso.

Thanks for all of the help.

http://www.findagrav...GSmid=46601741

#113 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 14:36

Someone knows where is buried Ferdinand Porsche?????: I saw it in a documental film some years ago but I forgot........ :|

#114 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 16:56

Yes, the Find-a-Grave site states "Aigen Cemetery, Salzburg, Austria".

#115 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 00:40

Numerous NASCAR drivers at this link:

http://www.findagrav...csr&GSvcid=1479

Henry

#116 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:44

Can I just repeat what I mentioned in an earlier post. My listing of deceased drivers and their graves on the Find-a-Grave website is in no way intended to compete with the exceptional Motorsport Memorial website. My listing reflects my interest in the final resting places for former F1 and sportscar drivers who were known internationally, and it's for that reason I have deliberately avoided listing NASCAR, rally, and the lower formula drivers. Heck, I've got my work cut out just sticking to the F1/sportscar drivers.

As you can see, other racing drivers are listed on Find-a-Grave, but I won't be including them in my listing (Virtual Cemetery).

I've also read in another thread that this sort of discussion is morbid and dysfunctional, but I think that unless research is done now before it's too late, this information would be lost. I understand that Gary Hocking's (motorcycle racing) grave in Newport was in a dreadful state until it was 'discovered' and is now being maintained by a local motorcycle club. It's important to know that Graham Hill's headstone and grave is in need of attention. Mike Hawthorn's grave was in a very poor state until it was restored by the local TVR dealers a few years ago. These men lost their lives doing what they enjoyed and giving pleasure to us spectators. Is it not too much to ask that we try not to forget them?

#117 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 21 February 2006 - 21:19

I am trying to do the same than Paul, but mainly with Argentine drivers. It´s a shame that the idols of 50 or 60 years ago are buried at unknown places.................by the way I am trying to put someday a memorial stone at the point where Onofre Marimón lost his life at Nurburgring............

#118 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 22 February 2006 - 23:21

Today, B Bira, Cliff Allison and Fritz Scheidegger.

#119 Cassiop

Cassiop

• 10 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 13:42

Her is a picture of Pierre Levegh's grave - cemetery of the Père Lachaise, Paris
Posted Image

And some other from the Wimille mémorial - Porte Dauphine, Paris
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Advertisement

#120 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 05 March 2006 - 16:13

Originally posted by Paul Rochdale

"My wifes going to kill me for spending so much time at the computer"

Well, hope she'll let us know where you will be laid to rest, I'm sure you'll get a mention on findagrave.com :lol:

#121 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 21:30

Two more names: Mike Spence and Paul Hawkins.
Someone knows where were buried?.

#122 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 06 March 2006 - 22:02

Originally posted by 380W
Two more names: Mike Spence and Paul Hawkins.
Someone knows where were buried?.

The funeral service for Paul Hawkins was at Golders Green Crematorium. The funeral service for Mike Spence was at Bray Church near Maidenhead. (Source: Times Death notices)

#123 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 14:01

Posted Image

Alan Stacey's grave in St.Mary's Churchyard, Broomfield near Chelmsford, Essex. It's at the far end of the churchyard close to the fence and need of a bit of care and attention.

#124 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 14:08

Posted Image

Piers Courage's grave is in a small cemetery opposite St.Mary the Virgin Church, Shenfield near Brentwood, Essex. For visitors, there are three cemeteries; the actual churchyard, a few yards away across the lane on the left, and a third 25yds down the footpath. There are four Courage grave's together in a group, two of them may well have been Piers' parents.

#125 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 March 2006 - 17:58

After a break of two weeks when my PC went into meltdown, I have now added memorials for Archie Scott Brown, John Love and Paul Hawkins. Thanks for the help I've received.

http://www.findagrav...=1&GSvcid=4821

I currently trying to discover the graves of Richie Ginther - his son Bret is a doctor in Fallbrook CA - and Ronnie Bucknum.

#126 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 13 March 2006 - 10:13

I've just discovered Ronnie Bucknum's grave is at the Arroyo Grande Cemetery, Arroyo Grande, San Luis Obispo County, California. :up:

#127 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:18

Posted Image

Mike Hailwood's grave in St.Mary Magdelane churchyard, Tanworth-in-Arden, Warwickshire.

#128 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:38

Posted Image

Sorry to do this but the thumb nail is just too small to easily read.

#129 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 14 March 2006 - 09:48

Posted Image

#130 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 14:48

I have recently added memorials to Carel Godin de Beaufort, Ronnie Bucknum and David Purley as well as updated information on Roger Williamsons funeral to the www.findagrave.com website.

Can anyone help with Ivor Bueb, Harry Schell, Silvio Moser, Hemut Koinigg and Edgar Barth?

#131 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 17 March 2006 - 17:40

Ivor Bueb's funeral was held at the City Of London Cemetery, Manor Park, Ilford on 11th August 1959. Source: Times newspaper for that day.

#132 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 23:40

Posted Image

Joey Dunlop's grave in Ballymoney, Northern Irealnd.

#133 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 20:20

Posted Image

Ivor Bueb's grave in the City of London Cemetery & Crematorium, Aldersbrook Road, Manor Park, London. Both this and Silvio Moser's memorial updated on www.findagrave.com

#134 380W

380W

• 67 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 21:40

Someone has information about the burial places of Willy Mairesse and Lucien Bianchi????

#135 HistoricMustang

HistoricMustang

• 4,489 posts

Posted 25 March 2006 - 01:23

Edward Glenn "Fireball" Roberts. Visited the grave site today in Daytona Memorial Park behind the Daytona International Speedway.

Henry

Posted Image

Posted Image

#136 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 22:53

http://www.findagrav...csr&GSvcid=4821

My person register (sometimes known as a 'Virtual Cemetery') of the last resting places of former grand prix and leading sportscar drivers has reached 100, with latest additions being George Abecassis, Edgar Barth, Robert Benoist, Ronnie Bucknum, Carel Godin de Beaufort, Luigi Fagioli, Joe Fry, Olivier Gendebien, Silvio Moser, John Parry-Thomas, Louis Rosier and Mike Spence.

After contacting the Maidenhead Advertiser newspaper, they are featuring an article on Mike Spence this Friday, one of their local heroes.

My thanks to my two good friends in Argentina and Sweden for their great help.

#137 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:14

Good news has resulted from the article in the Maidenhead Advertiser. I've been contacted by a reader who has told me that Mike Spence's grave (headstone) is alongside one of his relatives, in a sadly neglected corner of Slough Crematorium. When I discover more, I'll visit the spot and if necessary to some clearing up work.

Yesterday, as I was in the area, I visited Gilroes Cemetery, Groby Road, Leicester, where Roger Williamson's ashes were placed in a family grave. Sadly his name hasn't been added to the headstone alongside the other Williamson names and there is nothing to show the last resting place for this young driver. (I'll place an image here when I've worked out why I can't seem to re-install my FinePix software).

#138 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 15:58

Paul

I'd like to congratulate you on your work in collecting this information. If you don't have access to the Times Digital archive I'd be quite happy to look up any names you're researching.

#139 Greatest

Greatest

• 160 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 19:51

Here are the last resting places of Elio de Angelis & Luigi Musso in Cimitero di Verano in Rome, Italy...

http://img366.images...663/elio1zm.jpg

http://img346.images...93/elio21ha.jpg

http://img346.images...4/luigi17vo.jpg

http://img151.images...9/luigi20ed.jpg

Advertisement

#140 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 22:09

KJJ - I've PM'd you, thanks.

Greatest - I was aware of Musso's grave but not de Angelis' - thanks for the images too.

As a result of that newspaper article, today I was put in touch with Peter Davies, Mike Spence's business partner at the time of his fatal crash at Indy, and who took over the company afterwards. Spence's young wife was distraught at the time and left for South Africa shortly afterwards where she re-married and is now has grandchildren. Sadly there is nothing to see of Mike Spence's grave, no headstone, no marker, nothing. Just undergrowth, I'm told. Mr Davies is sending a link of Mike's memorial page to his former wife.

#141 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:00

I was recently writing Robert Benoist's memorial page when my wife looked over my shoulder to read what I was writing. "Hang on" she said "you might be interested in this". She showed me a copy of a novel called 'Early One Morning' by Robert Ryan (ISBN 0-7472-6873-8). As a rule I don't read novels, they simply don't interest me but reading the cover I saw that it was about the exploits of William Grover-Williams, Robert Benoist and Jean-Pierre Wimille. All were recruited into the SOE at the start of the War and flown into France to organise sabatage units amongst the Resistance. All were successful racing drivers before the War and Grover-Williams became the chauffeur to famous artist Sir William Orpin. Grover-Williams fell in love with Orpin's mistress Eve Aubicq and they went to live in Normandy to breed dogs until the start of the War.

OK, it's a novel and the author agrees that part of the story is fiction but based on fact.

Wimille survived the War to continue racing; Grover-Williams and Benoist were eventually betrayed and captured, Benoist being killed at Buchenwald but Grover-Williams almost certainly didn't die in Sachsenhausen as has been widely reported but as a member of MI6 continued to live under another name and return later to live with Eve. More of the facts can be found by doing a search on this website (OK, the link failed). A truly fantastic book which kept me up until 2am a few times.

#142 paulhooft

paulhooft

• 873 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:19

Carel Godin de Beaufort is buried in a place in the woods on there private estate in Maarsbergen, Netherlands

Paul Hooft

#143 KJJ

KJJ

• 702 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 09:45

Spence's young wife was distraught at the time and left for South Africa shortly afterwards where she re-married and is now has grandchildren.

A salutory reminder of the cost of motor racing which was so often paid by the driver’s wives in the sport’s dangerous years. I’ve always thought that they deserve much more consideration than the “babe alert” type comments with which they're usually dismissed, even here on TNF. Glad there was a happy ending though. BTW Lynn Spence’s sister Gayle also married a racer………..Tony Maggs.

Regarding the Grover-Williams story, the general consensus seems to be that his post-war survival belongs more to the fiction rather than the fact parts of Ryan’s book. That said, Ryan seems to have done a lot of research and you sometimes wonder how much research has been done from the motor racing side. You usually read that his father was English and his mother was French, but I’d like to know a lot more about his family background, I wonder if this is covered by Ryan at all, guess I’ll have to get the book.

#144 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 13:43

http://www.forix.com/8w/rb-w-jpw.html

This was the link I failed to attach earlier. This seems to give a more balanced and truthful account of Grover Williams, but to be fair, Robert Ryan's book was a novel, and at the back of the book he does stress which parts were fact and which were fiction. Even if 3/4 of what I've read is true, it's a fantastic story, and there does seem genuine doubt that he failed to survive the war.

Both Benoit and Grover Williams were posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre after the war.

* Carel Godin De Beaufort - Thanks but I created a memorial page for him a short while ago. Please do a search on www.findagrave.com to view it.

#145 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 22,015 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 17:35

http://www.forix.com/8w/rb-w-jpw.html

This was the link I failed to attach earlier.

Written, of course, by our own Vitesse 2.

Paul, I'd like to echo KJJ's sentiments - you're doing a great job tracking down and recording all these burial sites.

#146 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:27

Final resting places I'm still looking for are as follows - Chris Bristow, Johnny Claes (my guess somewhere in Brussels), Ludovico Scarfiotti, Harry Schell (sure must be somewhere in Paris?), Manfred Winkelhock, Stefan Bellof and Mike Parkes.

Even earlier drivers from the 50s and 60s are - Charles de Tornaco, Don Beauman, Piero Carini, Bill Whitehouse, Herbert McKay-Fraser, Erwin Bauer, Peter Whitehead, Harry Blanchard, Ettore Chimeri, Guilio Cabianca, Peter Ryan, Tim Meyer, John Taylor, Giacomo 'geki' Ruso, Bob Anderson, Georges Berger, Ian Raby and Gerhard Mitter.

Many thanks.

#147 MCS

MCS

• 4,165 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 19:15

Final resting places I'm still looking for are as follows - Chris Bristow, Johnny Claes (my guess somewhere in Brussels), Ludovico Scarfiotti, Harry Schell (sure must be somewhere in Paris?), Manfred Winkelhock, Stefan Bellof and Mike Parkes.

Even earlier drivers from the 50s and 60s are - Charles de Tornaco, Don Beauman, Piero Carini, Bill Whitehouse, Herbert McKay-Fraser, Erwin Bauer, Peter Whitehead, Harry Blanchard, Ettore Chimeri, Guilio Cabianca, Peter Ryan, Tim Meyer, John Taylor, Giacomo 'geki' Ruso, Bob Anderson, Georges Berger, Ian Raby and Gerhard Mitter.

Many thanks.

Paul

Did you get my pm regarding Bob Anderson?

Mark

#148 Paul Rochdale

Paul Rochdale

• 1,281 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 22:14

No Mark, I've just checked my PMs and yours failed to make it through the ether :drunk:

#149 MCS

MCS

• 4,165 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 09:38

Oh well, I'll try again. I sent it a while back - I've been away most of this month.

#150 Cassiop

Cassiop

• 10 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 15:38

Jean Pierre Wimille's Grave, Passy Cemetery

Posted Image
Posted Image