Photo

Pedro Rodriguez and the Genie

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 WINO

WINO

• 606 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 00:08

Pedro Rodriguez raced a number of Huffaker-built, BMC San Francisco-entered Genie Mk 8s in 1963:

June, Laguna Seca USRRC, DNF with Chevy engine
July, Pacific Raceways USRRC, 1st with Chevy engine
Oct, Times GP, Riverside, 3rd with Ford engine
Oct, Pacific GP, Laguna Seca, DNF with Ford engine

Does anybody know if this was the same Mk 8, with a straight engine swap after July?

One source has Paul Reinhart buying the Chevy-engined chassis in September 1963. He actually raced one in the Norhwest GP in September, but was it the Rodriguez car? If true, whatever happened to the Genie/Ford of Rodriguez?

WINO

Advertisement

#2 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 06:00

On his website, Tam McPartland says that Paul Reinhart bought the Chevy-engined chassis that Rodriguez had driven earlier.

Bill Watkins has sold Genie Mk 8 with Ford engine, chassis number 3, to his son-in-law. They had it on display at Laguna Seca last weekend. This car was driven by Dan Gurney in the Northwest GP in September of 1963, then by Pedro Rodriguez at Riverside and Laguna Seca in October.

John Harden has Genie Mk 8 with Ford engine, chassis number 1. He raced it at Laguna Seca last weekend. This was the Dave Ridenour car.

There were three Genie Mk 8s at the Northwest GP in September of 1963, Ridenour, Gurney, and Reinhart. Would that make the Reinhart car chassis number 2? Darn, if I had known this question was coming up, I could have asked Paul Reinhart (or Bill Watkins or John Harden) last weekend at Laguna Seca!

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C.

#3 Option1

Option1

• 14,892 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 07:04

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
John Harden has Genie Mk 8 with Ford engine, chassis number 1. He raced it at Laguna Seca last weekend. This was the Dave Ridenour car.

Vince Howlett, Victoria, B.C.

Apologies if this is a bit too self-indulgent, but just in case anyone wanted to see how it looked now, here's chassis 001 in the Laguna Seca race Vince mentions:

Posted Image

Neil

#4 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 09:08

I saw this Genie Mk VIII Chevrolet at the Nürburgring OTGP in 2003. Unfortunately, I didn't have the chance to talk to the driver or the owner as I was anxious to know if this could have been Pedro's car. It was the only time I saw the car. It was driven by Austrian Paul Koppenwallner. How many of these Mk VIII were made?

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#5 WINO

WINO

• 606 posts

Posted 28 August 2005 - 14:00

Based on the response and looking at entrylists of 1963, it seems that at least five Mk 8 Genies were built:

chassis 1: Dave Ridenour [Olds engine in 1963, changed to Ford engine in 1964]

chassis 2: BMC entry for Pedro Rodriguez at 1963 Laguna Seca and Pacific Raceways USRRC races, than sold to Paul Reinhart with original Chevy engine

chassis 3: BMC entry for Dan Gurney at 1963 Northwest GP, and Rodriguez at 1963 Times and Pacific GPs [Ford engine]

chassis 4: Cunningham entry for Gurney at 1963 Times GP and Walt Hansgen at 1963 Pacific GP [Ford engine]

chassis 5: Bud Gates [Chevy engine]

I presume that in 1964 the Ed Lowther Genie/Ford was the number 4 Cunningham car and that the George Koehne Genie/Ford was chassis 3.

WINO

#6 Pedro 917

Pedro 917

• 1,767 posts

Posted 29 August 2005 - 14:52

Through google, I've found the owner of the car and I asked him if he knows the history of the car.
Here's his reply:

Hello,

thank you for your mail. Very interesting. When I bought my Genie I was told that Rodriguez drove it, but not in which race. I think my car always had a chevy engine, the engine pickup points did not change. You can see no alterations on the chassis. And I run it with the original Huffaker gearbox.
At the Oldtimer I could not go faster because the gearbox made some troubles. I also run the car with the original Huffaker wheelhubs etc.
Chassisnumber should be 04 but I cannot tell you exactly.

Best regards

Paul Koppenwallner

#7 Martin Krejci

Martin Krejci

• 264 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 09:59

I have Rindenour with Buick engined Genie at 200 mile Laguna Seca 1963 and then Mercury Comet/Genie Comet in 1964/65. By late 1965 Ridenour is finally entered with Genie Ford at 200 mile Laguna Seca. Was it always the same car?

By the way, Genie Comet was in Riverside 1964 entered by Jim Wessman.

#8 WINO

WINO

• 606 posts

Posted 08 October 2005 - 14:16

Ridenour always raced the same Genie Mk 8, but changed engines between 1963 [BOP] and 1964 [Ford]. Wessman was probably a Ford dealer who sponsored him, just like Bev Spencer of Spencer Buick did in 1963.

WINO

#9 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 21:49

On the Lotus 19 thread:

From RA Historian

On the web site www.can-amcarsltd.com there is a car for sale that is advertised as a Genie Mk. 8 replica. In the sketchy description it says that it was built from Genie and Lotus 19 parts. Does this open an all new can of worms?

From raceannouncer2003

As for the car advertised as a Genie Mk. 8 replica, the ad says:

"based on the best features of a Genie MK8 and a Lotus 19", so maybe it wasn't built from Genie and Lotus 19 parts. Would this be the Don Skogmo car? Scott Beckett co-drove with him in what was called a Genie Mk. 8 at Road America a few times. And Skogmo drove what was called a Genie Mk. 8 in the USRRC in the 60's.

Vince H.

#10 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:48

That is possible, of course, but I have another theory. It is stated that the car was painted a metallic red. There was a metallic red Genie at the 1967 Road America June Sprints driven by Jerry Rosbach. It placed third. Rosbach was from the Minneapolis area, as was Scott Beckett. Just putting two and two together, it may be that the car in the ad was the Rosbach car.

#11 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 02:51

Originally posted by raceannouncer2003
On the Lotus 19 thread:

"based on the best features of a Genie MK8 and a Lotus 19", so maybe it wasn't built from Genie and Lotus 19 parts.
Vince H.

Ah, you are right. I did not fully comprehend that it said that, and leapt to the conclusion that it used parts from both. I stand corrected.

#12 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 04:18

zvdv.jpg

Pedro in his favorite Deer Stalker hat.

Joe Huffaker in white hat standing by the Genie at Riverside.

Photo lent site Allen Kuhn-copyright 2005 Allen Kuhn

Edited by Jerry Entin, 22 December 2013 - 01:41.

#13 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 11:04

Hi Guys.

Since you have much of the Mk8 info, maybe you can help with this continuation of the chassis 1 car.

Before he was killed, Dave Ridenour rebodied it with the Coupe body ( anticipating GTP ? ) , and I have been lead to believe he and Gurney made two bodies and the Eagle body was wrecked.

Two questions, since I have the GenieCoupe body at the shop... http://www.race-card...rs.com/shop.htm

1) does anyone have contact info for Dave's family ??????

2) any knowledge of the Gurney GenieCoupe ???

Thanks
Dave Perry

#14 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 13:43

The Dave Ridenour car was pitted next to us at the Kohler Challenge this past July at Road America. There is a good chance they bring it back next July if anyone would like to it in the flesh. It's current owner is from Oklahoma, a gentleman named Hardin. He runs with the Silvermans who run Vintage Motorsports Magazine.
They run Listers.

It's a fast car.

#15 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 13:48

Thanks David...but I am looking for info, pics, etc on the car when it had the Coupe GTP body on it....not the current open body.

#16 Bruno

Bruno

• 563 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 19:51

http://memoiresdesta...-1940-1971.html

#17 David Birchall

David Birchall

• 3,291 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 22:02

A friend here in Vancouver is rebuilding the ex-Mecom-Chuck Parsons-Lew Florence Genie Mk Ten. When I finally get a digital camera I will post photos-hope I haven't highjacked this thread. :)

#18 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 06 August 2008 - 12:32

Could I resurrect this Genie Mk VIII thread please, and ask if anyone can confirm the chassis numbers of the Rodriguez 1963 Laguna Seca and Pacific Raceways USRRC car, and the Gurney 1963 Times GP and Walt Hansgen at 1963 Pacific GP car?

From an earlier post, it appeared that the Rodriguez car was 03 and the Gurney/Hangsen car was 04, then this was questioned by the current owner of the Rodriguez car, who thought this was 04.

#19 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 05:57

Anyone going to the Monterey Historics? If so, maybe they could ask Paul Reinhart about the Genie he had and the chassis number, etc. He will be racing his Corvette at Monterey. Mark? Ted?

Vince H.

Advertisement

#20 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 10:42

Vince:
Ike Smith will be at Monterey helping Dan and Harry Lipetz from your neck of the woods. They have the #31 Ex Peter Revson Lola T-163 high wing car. They will be with the Bennett's.

Ike Smith has told me that Gil Munz helped Dave Ridenour make the Coupe body. Ike and Gil also helped Chuck Parsons with his Genie in the day.

Willem Oosthoek surmised that Jim Wessman was probably a car dealer. Willem was right, the following comes from Ike Smith:
Jim Wessman was a Lincoln-Mercury dealer in San Francisco who sponsored Dave Ridenour.

#21 Frank S

Frank S

• 2,162 posts

Posted 07 August 2008 - 21:59

Group 5A, Monterey Historics 2003, photo #7, information from the program calls the (at that time) Bill Watkins car "No. 3".

Group 5A

Frank Sheffield
San Diego CA
USA
http://fsheff.com

#22 bespoke

bespoke

• 46 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 01:17

"Could I resurrect this Genie Mk VIII thread please, and ask if anyone can confirm the chassis numbers of the Rodriguez 1963 Laguna Seca and Pacific Raceways USRRC car, and the Gurney 1963 Times GP and Walt Hansgen at 1963 Pacific GP car?

From an earlier post, it appeared that the Rodriguez car was 03 and the Gurney/Hangsen car was 04, then this was questioned by the current owner of the Rodriguez car, who thought this was 04"
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The car that Pedro raced in the 1963 LA Times Grand Prix (Riverside) and the car that Dan Gurney raced at the 1963 Northwest Grand Prix (Kent, Washington) are both chassis #3. I currently own that car and have documentation that it participated in both races with those drivers. It was Ford powered in both races and was called the "Ford-Powered Super Genie" by the press.

Rodriguez then raced in the Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca in the Genie Ford but DNF'd due to a broken transmission. I believe this car was my car, chassis #3. In that same race Walt Hansgen was also driving a Genie Ford and DNF'd due to a broken water line. No idea on this chassis number.

In my documentation there is a reference to a USRRC Road Racing Championship race at Pacific Raceways that was won by Pedro driving a Genie Chevrolet (#448) with Ridenour in 2nd place driving a Genie Oldsmobile. No idea on the chassis numbers but given the engines neither of them are probably chassis #3.

#23 drivers71

drivers71

• 306 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:50

Originally posted by bespoke

The car that Pedro raced in the 1963 LA Times Grand Prix (Riverside) and the car that Dan Gurney raced at the 1963 Northwest Grand Prix (Kent, Washington) are both chassis #3. I currently own that car and have documentation that it participated in both races with those drivers. It was Ford powered in both races and was called the "Ford-Powered Super Genie" by the press.

Rodriguez then raced in the Pacific Grand Prix at Laguna Seca in the Genie Ford but DNF'd due to a broken transmission. I believe this car was my car, chassis #3. In that same race Walt Hansgen was also driving a Genie Ford and DNF'd due to a broken water line. No idea on this chassis number.

In my documentation there is a reference to a USRRC Road Racing Championship race at Pacific Raceways that was won by Pedro driving a Genie Chevrolet (#448) with Ridenour in 2nd place driving a Genie Oldsmobile. No idea on the chassis numbers but given the engines neither of them are probably chassis #3.

Thanks for this Bespoke.
Do you currently race your 'Super Genie'?
I'd really appreciate a photo of it, if that's possible, please?
I'll give you my email if you care to PM me.
Thanks
Rich

#24 biz5300

biz5300

• 46 posts

Posted 09 August 2008 - 16:57

Hi there..
Last year I was very close to buying what I thought was a Huffaker Genie in Sweden.. I did my homework and realized there was no Genie Mk III as they claimed. aluminium body also but a known history in sweden and Belgium for 30 years... In the end a Well known Belgian dealer double crossed me and bought it behind my back while I was brokering it to him.. or myself.. But I was very very sceptical....
What is it??

Nik[IMG]http://img60.imagesh...04aaane9.th.jpg[/IMG] http://[IMG]http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/1376/rimini016fx5.th.jpg[/IMG] http://[IMG]http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/7466/rimini017lo2.th.jpg[/IMG] http://[IMG]http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8459/ccf2007103000007eg7.th.jpg[/IMG]

#25 ERault

ERault

• 336 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 21:18

Based on the response and looking at entrylists of 1963, it seems that at least five Mk 8 Genies were built:

chassis 2: BMC entry for Pedro Rodriguez at 1963 Laguna Seca and Pacific Raceways USRRC races, than sold to Paul Reinhart with original Chevy engine

chassis 3: BMC entry for Dan Gurney at 1963 Northwest GP, and Rodriguez at 1963 Times and Pacific GPs [Ford engine]

chassis 4: Cunningham entry for Gurney at 1963 Times GP and Walt Hansgen at 1963 Pacific GP [Ford engine]

I presume that in 1964 the Ed Lowther Genie/Ford was the number 4 Cunningham car and that the George Koehne Genie/Ford was chassis 3.

WINO

Bill Wonder had one too, from the fall of 1963 and at least raced through 1964.

#26 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 05:33

Not a Mark 8, but here is Adrian Ratcliff with his restored ex-Chuck Parsons Genie Mk 10 at the Westwood reunion at Mission, B.C. a couple of months ago. Parsons won the Pepsi Pro at Westwood in 1965 in this car:

Posted Image

Vince H.

#27 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 13:22

Bill Wonder had one too, from the fall of 1963 and at least raced through 1964.

As did Don Skogmo with a Mk 8 which he raced in 1964 into 1965.
Tom

#28 Sisyphus

Sisyphus

• 242 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 04:05

Not a Mark 8, but here is Adrian Ratcliff with his restored ex-Chuck Parsons Genie Mk 10 at the Westwood reunion at Mission, B.C. a couple of months ago. Parsons won the Pepsi Pro at Westwood in 1965 in this car:

Posted Image

Vince H.

How much different was the Mk 10 from the Mk 8? The Mk 10 still ran a small block Chevy, I think? How many Mk 10's were built?

#29 RA Historian

RA Historian

• 3,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2009 - 14:13

Mk 8 was 1963, Mk 10 came out in 1964 some time. Very crude answer is that the Mk 10 was an improvement, stronger chassis, body designed to cover the wider tires, etc. Hopefully somebody can give more details.

I don't know if an exact number of Mk 8 and Mk 10 cars is actually known. As I understand it, besides the factory built cars that were sold, BMC also sold some Genies in kit car form.
Tom

#30 Manfred Cubenoggin

Manfred Cubenoggin

• 975 posts

Posted 24 October 2009 - 07:58

Stumbled across this choice item just this morning. Follow the link in post #3 and ENJOY! :)

http://www.nogriprac...ead.php?t=14438

#31 brickyard

brickyard

• 612 posts

Posted 21 December 2013 - 20:26

WINO

Hi all,

I'm resurrecting this Genie Mk VIII thread because I think that the George Koehne Genie-Ford was a Mk.10 not a 8.

I have it as Mk.10 F102. Is it right?

Thank you

Luis

#32 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 00:41

juzk.jpg
George Koehne, still wearing his Maserati badge, with the Mk 8 Genie he ran at Pensacola in 1964.
George Koehne ran both a Mk 8, and later, a Mk 10 Genie.

all research: Willem Oosthoek
photo: Willem Oosthoek collection

Edited by Jerry Entin, 22 December 2013 - 00:49.

#33 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,920 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:52

b3dh.jpg
Pedro Rodriguez sitting in car engine compartment while Joe Huffaker works on it at Riverside

photo: Allen Kuhn

#34 raceannouncer2003

raceannouncer2003

• 2,944 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:21

I spoke to Paul Reinhart at Monterey a few years ago.  I believe he told me that he had sold his Genie Mk 8, the ex-Rodriguez 1963 Kent USRRC winner, to someone in Florida who still had it.

Vince H.

#35 shross

shross

• 2 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 20:46

Hello all,

I have been the owner of chassis number 3 for a few years now. It was THE works car. All others were customer cars. I had this confirmed in person when I spent a day with Joe Huffaker SR. and Joe Huffaker JR. The previous forum poster named Bespoke commission JH, Jr to rebuilt the car from th e ground up to the Rodriguez spec. This took place from 2007-2009. Unfortunately for Bespoke, he lost interest in the project once it was completed and I pursued it from him.

The car is and has always been Ford powered. Currently it has a 289 Corba engine stroked out to 302. I have the original Genie gearbox but the car runs with a Hewland LG500. The car loves with me in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will include a current one. Alternatively, go here to see a short video from a few years ago. http://m.youtube.com...h?v=OehMi6N-QbA

#36 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 02:42

WINO

I have renewed this thread because I am considering replacing the Can Am body on the Pedro Rodriguez / Paul Reinhart  1963 Genie Mk VIII / Chevrolet,  Chassis #2,  with the original style Mk8 body, before it is listed For Sale..

If you know who may have the molds, I would appreciate the contact info.  Dave Perry  OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama  USA

#37 shross

shross

• 2 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 10:59

I have renewed this thread because I am considering replacing the Can Am body on the Pedro Rodriguez / Paul Reinhart  1963 Genie Mk VIII / Chevrolet,  Chassis #2,  with the original style Mk8 body, before it is listed For Sale..

If you know who may have the molds, I would appreciate the contact info.  Dave Perry  OldSchool Restorations of North Alabama  USA

If you call Joe Huffaker, Jr., he knows Reg guy with the moods. I had an extra body made for my car via Joe.

#38 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 17:40

Through google, I've found the owner of the car and I asked him if he knows the history of the car.
Here's his reply:
Hello,
. When I bought my Genie I was told that Rodriguez drove it, but not in which race. I think my car always had a chevy engine, the engine pickup points did not change. ...................
Chassis number should be 04 but I cannot tell you exactly.

Chassis 4 was Ford. Likely the car you have in Europe is Chassis 5 ( Bud Gates ...Chevy)

See other posts for more info about Chassis #2, , which is summarized here : The Rodriguez Genie/Chevrolet ( #448) is Chassis 2, then after Pedro and Jack Dalton drove it for the Kjell Qvale's BMC ( #448), Qvale sold it to Paul Reinhart ( # 6 # 61) ( 1963) then Paul said he sold it to James E Smith in Florida ( #3) (1972 ) and it is currently here in Alabama.

#39 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 17:52

"Could I resurrect this Genie Mk VIII thread please, and ask if anyone can confirm the chassis numbers of the Rodriguez 1963 Laguna Seca and Pacific Raceways USRRC car,   

Reply                      also Dalton   for BMC   Kjell Qvale         Chassis #2     Genie/Chevrolet  sold later to Reinhart then Smith          carried    #'s   448,  6,  61,  3   

and the Gurney 1963 Times GP and Walt Hansgen at 1963 Pacific GP car? 

Reply                       also Rodriguez and Lowther         Chassis #3    Genie/Ford     carried   #'s  166 ,   66,    7

Advertisement

#40 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 04 October 2022 - 16:23

Finally...the ex-Pedro Rodriguez, Paul Reinhart, James E Smith  Huffaker Genie/Chevrolet Mk8 Chassis #2 is coming out of 'hiding' and into the public, to have the stalled restoration completed,  and head back 'on track'

I am trying to post pictures,  but in the meantime , there are some here :

https://www.facebook...100013014301699

Edited by daytona_ford, 04 October 2022 - 16:26.

#41 daytona_ford

daytona_ford

• 16 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 23:32

@shross

Hi Stephen,  Please email me at  dave@race-cardrivers.com  . 

I own the chassis #2  Mk8/Chev   ( Rodriguez-Reinhart-Smith car )  and have a few questions about your car that would help me decide to finish the restoration or sell it.

Best Regards

Dave Perry