Photo

Guest Book

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 06:34

One of the best things about having a website is the emails and guest book entries that you get. Here is one from a gentleman who sent me some photos and told me some stories on restoring the Maserati 250.

...I use to work for Alf Francis when he was working for classic motors in Oklahoma city, okla. and when he was in Wichita, Kansas . I spent much time with him and heard lots of stories about him and Moss. I spent a total of 4 years working for him and I learned many things from him. He always told me that nothing was impossible that you could even **** ( his words ) in nudiest pocket if you tried hard enough. I still think and miss my converstions with one the greatest mechanics that there was and to him everything was possible. I have also worked on one of Moss's old coopers and did most of the engine and transmission rebuild on the old 250F Maserati that Moss use to race. Stan

Here's another one

...As an old Brit, an still mad about racing cars (of all types) and having grown up with Moss, Hawthorn and Fangio as my heroes, it was good to browse over your Website tonight. Back in the very early sixties, I'd worked for Les Leston in London, in his shop, which was probably the first of its type, where the average 'Joe' could buy go-faster bits for his car, and where most of the days race drivers would buy their own gear. I got to meet many of them either in the shop, or at the circuits when we went to all the race meetings. Tried my hand at driving and actually competed a Lotus 18 at Snetterton, but being an impoverished young man....somehow I never had the loot to keep up the rent-a -drive situation. Out of all the drivers I met, I guess Graham Hill was the nicest, so I was really pleased to see Damon (who I met when he was knee-high!) managed to get the World-Championship a couple of years ago; I bet the old man was really smiling up there! Keep up the good work! I've posted you onto my Favourites segment, and will try and read you over the coming F1 season. Regards. CES.

...In 1978 I got a new Alfa Alfetta Sprint Veloce in Milano and drove the route of the Mille Miglia, then back to Naples for shipment. When I wound it in the strights I understood the thrill. It is one of those events that mark your life. Your site is excellent, makes me want to do it again.

I've driven those road and to imagine Moss driving them at an average speed of 100mph with burst up to 170mph, Jenkinson with the hand signals, just sent shivers up my spine.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

Advertisement

#2 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 09:30

WOW! Great stuff, DD!

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 14:35

Thank you for a very sentimental journey back in time. I knew many of the drivers you mentioned liked and respected most of them. Clark and Fangio the greatest in my era, an ignominious trip into the bushes at the ring during practice my only brief appearance, in f1.

Paul Maguire

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 15 November 1999 - 22:29

Wow, DD! Paul Maguire! Talk about a blast from the past! You really do get a fascinating group of folks dropping in on your site! My goodness! I never cease to be amazed...

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#5 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 16 November 1999 - 01:00

It's even better when I get emails from people all over the world. I rand this in my first year 1997.

The following is a list of my top ten countries after the United States that visit my site. I will keep you abreast of any major changes throughout the month.

United Kingdom
Hungary
Germany
Australia
Sweden
Canada
Finland
Netherlands
Japan
Italy

The question is who is that in Hungary that visits my website?

A couple of weeks ago I got a letter from a guy that says he's the guy from Hungary! He told me a nice story and really made me happy that I could share my interests with people that might have a harder time following the sport than we. During the trouble I got an email from a person in Bosnia that told me of his interests. Life goes on.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/