Photo

Jody Scheckter

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#51 seccotine

seccotine

• 129 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 19:40

Isn't it strange that we have to discuss Scheckter's qualities, especially if we remember how spectacular he was when he started?
Like some other one-time world champions, he has been almost forgotten ( like Jones, Hulme, and even fittipalde, who was a kind of a young genius in 72), but we always have to remember how good and consistent he was as a driver. After all, when he won the title in 79, it was nothing unexpected. And the guy had ran only 6 full seasons in F1.
Not a sidekick, for sure.
I surprise myself as I write that - in the late 70s I was more into flashy champions such as James Hunt or spectacular losers like Jumper Jarier - but this guy was above most top drivers of the time and he deserves to be remembered.

Advertisement

#52 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,313 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 17:27

Jody doing a commercial for Wynns (:confused:) :drunk:

#53 Hieronymus

Hieronymus

• 2,032 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 12:24

Jody doing a commercial for Wynns (:confused:) :drunk:

Yes, Jody was sponsored by Wynns in FFord. On the right is the late Jackie Pretorius.

#54 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 00:03

Jackie Pretorius rings a bell ? But in connection with what ? Was he also a driver ?

#55 roger.daltrey

roger.daltrey

• 51 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:08

Yes Jackie P was a good racing driver from South Africa who met an untimely death recently at the hand of another man, rather than through illness or on the racetrack.

Created a bit of a stir, when he cheated death for so long - only to be beaten up and robbed in retirement.

Very sad.....

#56 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,228 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:24

Yes Jackie P was a good racing driver from South Africa who met an untimely death recently at the hand of another man, rather than through illness or on the racetrack.

Created a bit of a stir, when he cheated death for so long - only to be beaten up and robbed in retirement.

Very sad.....

See this thread.............

http://forums.autosp...ackie Pretorius

#57 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,228 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:49

Celebrating my 4000th post, a Jody Scheckter montage..........

Jody, Sid Taylor and Sam Winston, President of Winston Delta Tyres celebrate the team's first win in the 1973 US F5000 Championship at Laguna Seca, California, 6th May 1973, a championship they went on to win.

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2010-07-21
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

According to Sid, Jody had the fastest reactions of any driver he ever worked with.

Photos courtesy of the Sid Taylor collection.

#58 barrykm

barrykm

• 597 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 14:40

Nice to see the US F5000 pictures of Jody again - it was such a pleasure at the time to read of his ascendancy in this and other earlier formulae. :)

#59 David M. Kane

David M. Kane

• 5,402 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 15:34

I was one of the first people on the scene of the Cervert accident; I'll never forget his body language as he waved the other drivers by. I did not realized until now the full psychological shock that horrid scene had on him.

I agree with Sid Taylor he had amazing reflexes.

Advertisement

#60 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 15:38

Top pics & congrats on your 4000th post Tony :-)

#61 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,228 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:10

Top pics & congrats on your 4000th post Tony :-)

It all started with a Googlesearch one night............ :drunk:

#62 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,313 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 17:28

It all started with a Googlesearch one night............ :drunk:

Snap Tony :rotfl:

I was only looking for a couple of Alfa 179 pictures :rolleyes:

This place is like Hotel California 'you can visit any time you like but you can never leave ! ' :smoking:

#63 Slurp1955

Slurp1955

• 448 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:32

Jackie Pretorius rings a bell ? But in connection with what ? Was he also a driver ?

Could be you were thinking of Jaco Pastorius, bass player with the amazing Weather Report. He was one the greatest, and sadly he met a violent end too, after a fight with a bouncer outside a night club in Florida in 1987. JohnP

#64 mwphoto

mwphoto

• 117 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 21:33

Some of mine from....
1973 Can-Am@Mid-Ohio
Posted Image
1973 F/5000@Mid-Ohio
Posted Image
Couple from the 1974 Canadian Grand Prix
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mwphoto, 27 October 2010 - 12:34.

#65 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,228 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 06:09

Pic #2 looks like Jerry Entin & Ron Bennett.

#66 Jerry Entin

Jerry Entin

• 5,524 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 23:36

Tony: That is Kerry Agapiou and Ron Bennett. I am in the picture you posted above with Sid and Jody. I have the long hair. Of course this was in my youth.

The good looking girl with Jody in the picture above is Pam Bailey. She was Jody's high school sweetheart and was a very nice addition to the team in 1973. He later married her.

Mark: Great pictures as usual.

Edited by Jerry Entin, 27 October 2010 - 01:47.

#67 Jagracer

Jagracer

• 50 posts

Posted 24 December 2010 - 13:43

I was Chief Mechanic in 1971 for the Ed Swartz Canon Racing team (Chevron 2ltr. Sports Cars) & we did the Sprinbok series at the end of that year & was sponsored by Wynns. You had to have a South African co driver & our driver was Jody Scheckter
From the 1st time I witnessed him in the car in Practice for the Kyalami 9 hour race which was the 1st race of the series, you could sense he was going to be quick & he certainly was. We finished 2nd in the series with a couple of wins in some of the races.

he was a very likeable guy & always came up to me at the end of a race shook my hand & thanked me for my work

Phil Bradford

#68 stevewf1

stevewf1

• 3,259 posts

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:55

The remarkable thing about Jody Scheckter is that he always seems to be successful at whatever he does. And those ventures have been varied...

He was Formula One World Champion in 1979.
Then he started a firearms training company FATS Inc.
And now runs Laverstoke Park Farm.

#69 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 6,313 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:21

Jody demonstrating his versatility at full chat on his Ford Tractor at Brands in 1972.

#70 Marc Sproule

Marc Sproule

• 984 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 17:46

I've come across some Jody images recently, will get them scanned in the not too distant future and upload them shortly thereafter.

In the meantime, here's one from Long Beach in '79.

http://www.flickr.co...N03/5457239485/

I've added more old F1 stuff recently and some "new era" Can Am images too,

My sets....

http://www.flickr.co...81980@N03/sets/

#71 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,211 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 15:48

Scheckter was obviously an impressive driver when he started in F5000 and F1, but we tend to forget that he was the first to witness the aftermath of Cevert's accident.
It is said that this event had a lasting influence on him and there is no doubt that he polished his manners as a driver after it.

MotorSport magazine did a "Lunch with... Jody Scheckter" in its May 2008 issue (Volume 84, Number 5).

In it, there's this quote about the moment he came upon Cevert's accident (if I may)...

Next day, 10 minutes before the end of morning practice, as I accelerated out of the pits Cevert came past. When I got to the Esses the front of his car was in the middle of the track. The rest of it was was in the guardrail on the left, sort of wrapped over it. I stopped and jumped out of my car and ran over to him, because fire was a big thing then, so it was an automatic reaction. I got to the battery and I remember it was sparking like anything, so I went to grab his seat belt buckle. And immediately I turned around and walked away. I'll never know what I saw in that cockpit; to this day I don't remember because it's just blanked out in my mind. Other drivers had pulled up and were running over, and I stopped them and said, 'No It's finished.'

He was the first person I'd known who had died. I couldn't believe that a guy had died and everybody just carried on, like nothing had happened - not so much the F1 guys, and of course Tyrrell withdrew from the race, but everybody else. Suddenly it came home to me, hey, this is dangerous.

It recently occurred to me that most of Jody Scheckter's team-mates in F1 were killed in racing or testing accidents (Revson, Depailler, Peterson, Villeneuve). Of course, Cevert was also destined to be his team-mate and Denny Hulme is also sadly no longer with us. I can only think of Bobby Rahal as a surviving team-mate from one or two races for Wolf.

Edited by garoidb, 07 August 2013 - 15:49.

#72 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 17:38

When was he teamed with Peterson?

#73 garoidb

garoidb

• 6,211 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 18:56

When was he teamed with Peterson?

Ah, my mistake. He was not.

#74 hipperson

hipperson

• 623 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 20:18

I had the good fortune to organise a charity fundraiser at the BRDC with Jody last year
In aid of a children's hospice ...Jody and I have 11 healthy children between us !

A morning at Laverstoke with Jody a few months before the event was AWESOME......a tour of the estate was brill ..I sat in the back of the big Merc..Alan Henry in the front

Posted Image

On the night he was brilliant..here with Alan answering quesions

Posted Image

Lunch at the big house with a butler and then a tour of his garage ....all his old racers. The 6 wheel Tyrrell and the Polak 917/10 now added

Me here with the 1979 312 Worls Champ car......

Posted Image

He was VERY generous at the auction..............here getting to grips with mine and Alan's daughters

Posted Image

I liked him a lot

#75 MCS

MCS

• 4,139 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 21:16

I had the good fortune to organise a charity fundraiser at the BRDC with Jody last year......

I liked him a lot

Difficult not to. Interesting pictures and good to see Alan Henry looking so well.

#76 charles r

charles r

• 8,356 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 09:11

Some great pictures here. Remember him in the Merlyn FFord support race for the Race of Champions, year escapes me for now, 1971? He was spectacular.

#77 DogEarred

DogEarred

• 9,932 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 10:37

Oh yes. I was watching at the entry to Druids & as I saw him drift round Paddock on the first lap, I thought "World Champion".

#78 john winfield

john winfield

• 3,016 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:05

I'd forgotten how quickly Jody moved up the ladder. I think 1971 is right, Charles, for the ROC Formula Ford drive, and by the British GP at Silverstone he was in Formula 3, winning his heat in the Ehrlich. McLaren gave him the F2 drive in 1972, and an F1 debut in October! Formula Ford, Formula 3, Formula 2, Grand Prix in a little over eighteen months.

#79 barrykm

barrykm

• 597 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:23

I'd forgotten how quickly Jody moved up the ladder. I think 1971 is right, Charles, for the ROC Formula Ford drive, and by the British GP at Silverstone he was in Formula 3, winning his heat in the Ehrlich. McLaren gave him the F2 drive in 1972, and an F1 debut in October! Formula Ford, Formula 3, Formula 2, Grand Prix in a little over eighteen months.

...and what a magic time that was for enthusiasts back in South Africa... :up:

Advertisement

#80 Rob Miller

Rob Miller

• 308 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 14:58

When we saw him in his supercharged Renault 8, I don't remember "World Champion" going through our minds, more like "if he would come around the next lap".

#81 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,448 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 15:14

When we saw him in his supercharged Renault 8, I don't remember "World Champion" going through our minds, more like "if he would come around the next lap".

Those thoughts continued into his F5000 and Can Am tenure here in the States. His 917-10 looked more like a 900HP kart 99% of the time.

#82 PCC

PCC

• 847 posts

Posted 01 February 2018 - 15:34

Those thoughts continued into his F5000 and Can Am tenure here in the States. His 917-10 looked more like a 900HP kart 99% of the time.

Agreed. Prior to his appearance on a Motor Sport podcast a few months back, I sent in a question about the difference I noticed in his driving style after seeing him at Mosport in the 917/10 in June and then in the M23 in September (1973). His reply (after making a wry comment about the advanced age of the people who sent in questions) was that the 917 had terrible turbo lag and terrible brakes. So, he'd start accelerating around corner entry, then hang on for deal life as the throttle gradually caught up to his foot.

Yes, it looked lurid, and some questioned his sanity. But it was quick. In the end, he wasn't that much slower than Donohue, in a year-old car with much less immaculate preparation...

#83 Dave Ware

Dave Ware

• 855 posts

Posted 10 February 2018 - 21:15

Agreed. Prior to his appearance on a Motor Sport podcast a few months back, I sent in a question about the difference I noticed in his driving style after seeing him at Mosport in the 917/10 in June and then in the M23 in September (1973). His reply (after making a wry comment about the advanced age of the people who sent in questions) was that the 917 had terrible turbo lag and terrible brakes. So, he'd start accelerating around corner entry, then hang on for deal life as the throttle gradually caught up to his foot.

Yes, it looked lurid, and some questioned his sanity. But it was quick. In the end, he wasn't that much slower than Donohue, in a year-old car with much less immaculate preparation...

In the esses at Mid-Ohio, Scheckter made the tires on that 917 squeal...

And at Mid-0hio's F5000 race that same year, he kept taking turn 11 with the tail hanging out.  That's the turn with the least run-off area, maybe about two feet worth.  

#84 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,112 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 00:32

To this day, nobody I've seen was ever more sideways at Road America than Jody was in the Trojan.

#85 Cavalier53

Cavalier53

• 290 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 10:27

Being a Renault 8 enthusiast for 50 years, I found racing R8's in S-A before, Googling a little further, I found a typical Scheckter style picture of the supercharged Gordini in this account of the highly interesting R8 tuning history in S-A here http://alconi.blogsp...ult-alconi.html (bottom of page)
The same picture is included here http://www.royhesket...sportscars.html where numerous R8 (and R10!) models in various stage of tuning are can be found among the action shots.

Jan.

Edited by Cavalier53, 11 February 2018 - 10:28.

#86 Nemo1965

Nemo1965

• 5,543 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 13:34

A Jody Scheckter-quote I always remember: 'I used to think I was the fastest driver in F1. Now I think I am the smartest.'

James Hunt called Scheckter 'Fletcher', after the wild, untamed bird in Jonathan Seagull.  It was Hunt's perception (the pot calling the kettle black?) Scheckter needed some taming to get the results his talents deserved. And Scheckter, to his own admission (the way I read his words), tamed himself...

#87 JacnGille

JacnGille

• 2,448 posts

Posted 11 February 2018 - 15:39

A Jody Scheckter-quote I always remember: 'I used to think I was the fastest driver in F1. Now I think I am the smartest.'

James Hunt called Scheckter 'Fletcher', after the wild, untamed bird in Jonathan Seagull.  It was Hunt's perception (the pot calling the kettle black?) Scheckter needed some taming to get the results his talents deserved. And Scheckter, to his own admission (the way I read his words), tamed himself...

I seem to remember Jody said, that after witnessing first hand the aftermath of Cervert's fatal crash, that he first became aware that he could die doing this.

#88 rl1856

rl1856

• 201 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 03:54

When exactly did Scheckter sign with Tyrell ?   My understanding is that Stewart decided to retire early in 1973, and told only 2 other people; Ken Tyrell and Walter Hayes from Ford.  Cevert did not know, nor did his wife.   His retirement was publicly announced after the season and after he withdrew from what would have been his last race.  

I have read that Scheckter had signed with Tyrell before Stewart's retirement was publicly announced.  On the surface that meant 3 drivers.   Did Ken Tyrell tell Scheckter he would run a 3 car team in 1974, or that it would be a 2 car team with one of the incumbents leaving ?   I doubt he confided in Scheckter ?

#89 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,361 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 17:03

Likely he signed August/September. After Zandvoort, and ahead of the Canadian GP.

#90 SKL

SKL

• 1,022 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 04:28

Fun to read this thread.  I vividly remember watching "sideways Scheckter"  at Road America in the early '70's,  and yes I do recall that he was usually really sideways, especially at turn 5!

Always loved his helmet with the big JODY on the side...   oh yes,  the good old days...

#91 Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

• 4,779 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 08:33

Best helmet design, ever. :up:

#92 Arjan de Roos

Arjan de Roos

• 2,361 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:41

McLaren yellow!

#93 Regazzoni

Regazzoni

• 2,109 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 17:38

40th anniversary in style for Jody at Monza this weekend:

Jody5.jpg

Jody3.jpg

Jody4.jpg

Jody6.jpg

Jody1.jpg

Jody2.jpg

Agriculture, Furniture & Marmalade

#94 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,112 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 18:32

That's just awesome.

#95 Richard Jenkins

Richard Jenkins

• 6,722 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 19:13

It'll be great if this is the start of Jody doing more/some historic events. Someone I've got a lot of time for.

#96 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,926 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:07

Hard to believe that it was 40 years ago that he and Gilles were 1 - 2 at Monza. It was great to see him reunited with the car, Forgheri, and his mechanics. Special stuff.

#97 DCapps

DCapps

• 475 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:43

When Jody gave my son free rein to play with anything they had during a visit to FATS, he made a fan for life of someone who still mentions that experience.

As with many of you, I have met a great number of drivers at various points in their careers and lives. I have always put Jody Scheckter on my list of The Truly Nice.

#98 E1pix

E1pix

• 22,112 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 20:52

I've always been shocked by drivers who *weren't* nice.

They've lived my dream and I see no excuses for not being gracious.

#99 DCapps

DCapps

• 475 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 00:45

I've always been shocked by drivers who *weren't* nice.

They've lived my dream and I see no excuses for not being gracious.

Eric, unfortunately, being "good" at something does not necessarily translate to being "nice." Some of the bravest people I have ever met were utter, complete a$$holes, which includes someone whose very timely appearance on the scene very likely saved my life five decades ago. Over the eons I have been around motor sport, I have encountered more than a few a$$holes (Farina immediately comes to mind...). Thank goodness the accent is on the "few" in the world of motor sport, given that the boorish behavior of many within the wider sport world often reflects the attitude that they are doing something extraordinary rather than playing a mere game. That Jim Clark and I could BS for the better part of an hour while sitting on drink crates about no end of things (music, farming, girls, cars -- especially this since I had just gotten my 356 clapped out Porsche Speedster -- and flying) as if we were two guys who happened to be sitting next to each other at a dinner table still amazes me even to this day. In the same vein, as a stringer for UPS, I found that Richard Petty was happy to talk and talk with me, all the while signing autographs and saying nice things to those in line. Ditto Ascari who took maybe ten minutes to chat with me when he could have otherwise ignored me. 'Arry Schell will always be in my thoughts for the small kindnesses and the attention he paid me, a goofy young kid. And, heaven forbid, OMF who treated me as if I were a VIP, making my ambivalence regarding Ferrari problematic to this day. While I have certainly run across some a$$holes in motor sport, thankfully, they seem to be few and far between. On the other hand, Willie Green was happy to keep plying me with beer at Monaco and Mario wanted to know what I thought about his wine. Even A.J. took the time to think about my questions and give very thoughtful, fascinating responses... So, yeah, you certainly have a point, Eric.

Advertisement

#100 barrykm

barrykm

• 597 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 06:06

Delighted by Jody's attendance at Monza  :clap: