Photo

Okay, your favourite/least favourite cars...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Rich

Rich

• 18,304 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 06:00

Right people, time to tell us where you stand. If you were a GP driver from any era :

1) What car would you have most liked to drive for a living?

2) What car would you have least liked to drive for a living?

I'm thinking here of not only looks and heritage and glamour, but handling abilities, safety, torque and power, etc.

Thanks for any input! :)

Advertisement

#2 bira

bira

• 13,359 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 06:13

the Aston Martins seem to fit both questions :)

I would have loved to drive one of them. But then, I had better shut up - I only get romantic about it due to reading books, I haven't even seen one in action...

#3 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 06:25

I would love to try one of the Auto Union D Types and if I hadn't killed my self yet a Mercedes SSKL.

There wouldn't be a least.

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David
Yahoo = dennis_a_david

Life is racing, the rest is waiting

Grand Prix History
www.ddavid.com/formula1/

#4 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 09:24

Worst? So many choices...

the Auto Union Typ A had to be the sort of thing that made even iron men rust their pants...

the various beasts cobbled up by Paul Emery also come to mind..

but, I'll go for the BRM P15 V-16 for general lack of merit and a beast too mean to even want to drive -- if S.C. Moss says it was the worst car he ever drove, I pay attention...

One I would most like to drive?

The Gurney Eagle...

...I am not very jingolistic and don't get all that teary-eyed with all the usual nationalistic claptrap, but the Eagle was just one neat looking car! Perhaps even the Best of the rear-engined cars...

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#5 Indian Chief

Indian Chief

• 2,812 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 10:08

Since I am mainly a fan of the recent history (read the 70s) of F1, my favourite would have to be Jackie Stewart's Tyrrell 006 (007 ??) from 1973.
The car I would least like to race in - The Ferrari 312T5 from 1980.
I Gilles found it tough going, what chance would a mere mortal like me have ?

#6 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 10:32

The idea of driving the Mercedes W196 Stromlinienwagen (Streamliner) around the old Monza, complete with banking, sets UD's loins all a-quiver. There's a beautiful example on display at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway museum; don't miss it if you're in town for an IMS event.
Car I would hate to drive? Late 70's-early 80's full ground-effects cars in general. Many drivers found them extremely punishing physically, and more responsive to a brutal driving style than to finesse and a delicate touch...not that I would be able to get one out of second gear without soiling my Nomex (provided I didn't stall it first), but we're fantasizing here anyway.

#7 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 10:47

Don,
As a big Gurney fan myself, I always liked the looks of the AAR Eagles. I had seen the Indy versions at IMS in 1966 and 1967 and admired them.
Next saw Dan and the Eagle in F1 trim at the Nurburgring for the German GP in 1968, and was shocked...had they made the damn thing bigger? Compared to the Lotus 49, the McLaren M7A, and Jackie Stewart's F2-based Matra MS-10, the Eagle looked huge. Still the prettiest car out there, though. Loved that beak.

#8 Don Capps

Don Capps

• 5,933 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 12:20

Davy, the 1968 Eagle was really almost a bitsa I am afraid. The whole effort that season was second fiddle to the USAC series and the development of the Formula A cars. Without any real sponsorship, adios AAR. And when the Eagle team took over and produced the Weslake engine...more problems on top of problems...

But that beak....

------------------
Yr fthfl & hmbl srvnt,

Don Capps

#9 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 13 November 1999 - 13:07

Quite right, Don...in '68, Dan had already set out on a Quixotic journey to make stock blocks competitive in USAC, and the F1 project was dead through lack of funding. If I am correct, the Eagle ran only once more in a GP, at Monza: I feel fortunate to have seen Dan drive his own car in F1 at least once.

#10 Keith Sawatsky

Keith Sawatsky

• 1,027 posts

Posted 14 November 1999 - 12:13

I don't have a particular car that I would outright dislike...they are all unique and different in their own ways.

My favorite is the 1961 Ferrari 156 F1 that Phill Hill drove.

I grew up as a 5 year old playing with a "Dinkey Toy" of that car for hours. The thing is probably worth a few hundred dollars now in the original box...the original full size one is probably now a few dollars more.

[This message has been edited by Keith Sawatsky (edited 11-15-1999).]

#11 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 14 November 1999 - 13:13

Unfortunately, Enzo had all the originals scrapped... :(

#12 Duane

Duane

• 271 posts

Posted 16 November 1999 - 03:48

Didn't someone, maybe David Cronenberg, have a 1961 Dino 156 replica built for a film entitled 'Red cars'?

[This message has been edited by Duane (edited 11-15-1999).]

#13 SalutGilles

SalutGilles

• 2,149 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 08:23

Well, I would have to say that the 1992 Williams (FW11B?) would be my pick for best car to drive. I would think that it was the "best" car to date in F1. With all those electronic gizmos, it would have almost driven itself to victory. I could do that for a season.

But my least favourite... Probably one of the late, late Brabham's or something along those lines. Struggling to make it through pre-qualifying, with absolutely no hope in the race... It would have been hell.

#14 Uncle Davy

Uncle Davy

• 6,010 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 09:16

SalutGilles,

The 92 Williams was the FW14B. I agree, that would be quite some car to drive. I also think it was one of the more attractive cars of the modern era...the proportions were just right, with the wide stance and cut-down cockpit which have since been legislated out of existence, as well as the white, blue(bleu?) and yellow colors. The narrow track and grooved tires of the current formula make the cars look bulky and clumsy, IMO.
Good choice, SG!

#15 Dennis David

Dennis David

• 2,482 posts

Posted 19 November 1999 - 12:14

Did someone say Williams?

Posted Image

or how about McLarens...

Posted Image

------------------
Regards,

Dennis David